2022 NBA Offseason Thread: Preseason kicks off; Things are fine in Los Angeles, Draymond beats the charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually was it lol

Ironically by a case study on a group of violinists :lol:, something I'm sure NT would have bet money they would master in 2 months
A dude quit his job and tried it with golf. With the aim to make the PGA tour

He of course failed

Dan McLaughlin (born June 27, 1979) is an American commercial photographer who quit his day job to become a professional golfer through 10,000 hours of deliberate practice.[1] Using this method, he created a plan known as "The Dan Plan". Prior to The Dan Plan, McLaughlin had never played a full 18 holes of golf and had no previous experience as a competitive athlete.[1] Dan developed his skills by practicing golf for 30 or more hours each week and originally planned to hit the 10,000-hour goal by October 2016.[1] Dan wished to make a successful appearance in the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament to eventually obtain his PGA Tour card and win amateur events,[1] aiming to reach a golf handicap of 2 or less. The best handicap he reached was 2.6 in January 2014, and in the end, in January 2015, was back up to 5.5.[2] Dan quit the plan and started Portland Soda Works with his neighbour, Chris Onstad.[3][4]

I’m coo in believing in yourself. It’s just funny style to totally dismiss or minimize something because you don’t like it.

But I’m bout to be off this cheap tequila and hit up this afrobeat/afrohouse/amapiano night. Y’all stay blessed.
This happens in this thread constantly about everything. People call each other out of their name over basketball opinions. A totally trivial thing.

KJPR being first is a shock to me. I feel like the Rockets have a shot of being good soon
He must at least double his attempts next season but his shooting has to be real if he is to be a starting PG.

Every fan believes their team has more talent than reality, but the rockets really do have talented pieces. Hopefully it comes together this season.

It actually was it lol

Ironically by a case study on a group of violinists :lol:, something I'm sure NT would have bet money they would master in 2 months

I don’t take “10,000 hours” literally and I don’t think it applies to everything for everyone. For example, I have never baked before in my life. However, I believe if I dedicated each weekend to baking a new dish, or the same ones, for a couple years that I could become pretty good. Same goes for something like gardening, growing vegetables, etc. It would be nowhere near 10K hours but with the consistency and repetition over time, it is possible to develop those skills.

Now if I did the same with something playing the violin, playing soccer or drawing, I don’t think that is nearly enough time for me to be come even not trash because I just naturally don’t have the skills for that.

I don’t take “10,000 hours” literally and I don’t think it applies to everything for everyone. For example, I have never baked before in my life. However, I believe if I dedicated each weekend to baking a new dish, or the same ones, for a couple years that I could become pretty good. Same goes for something like gardening, growing vegetables, etc. It would be nowhere near 10K hours but with the consistency and repetition over time, it is possible to develop those skills.

Now if I did the same with something playing the violin, playing soccer or drawing, I don’t think that is nearly enough time for me to be come even not trash because I just naturally don’t have the skills for that.
What would be the baking dish you’d want to perfect? Red velvet cheesecake?

Being able to pay for it is a part of finding it. If society was better structured and things like that didn't happen more people would find out they're raw at things like hockey golf and lacrosse
I don’t totally disagree, but I think you are minimizing a lot here. “Finding it” isn’t equal opportunity. Also, by saying fat people can excel at something so that means it isn’t a sport obfuscates the fact that these people succeeded despite their physical limitations. You take away the intricacies in every sport by doing that. Look at NFL players in the past.

I posted that I had seen the dumbest post on NT I'd ever seen in my entire time on NT here a few days ago in this thread. it was one upped by the same person like 5x in like 3 days. maybe he's onto something with becoming world class at something by just doing it consistently

Wee Bey Brice GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I’m def gonna get my kids in all the lacrosse programs growing up. Easiest way to get into a top tier school.

THIS. MAN. KNOWS. I know so many kids who went to schools way better than what they were qualified for because they were good at lacrosse. Living in the northeast/parts of the south it is a bit easier because a lot of the top HS programs are out here but I have heard it is picking up in places out west like Colorado

He must at least double his attempts next season but his shooting has to be real if he is to be a starting PG.

Every fan believes their team has more talent than reality, but the rockets really do have talented pieces. Hopefully it comes together this season.
Its the turnovers and the tunnel vision with me that kills me with him. Houston was so bad with decision making and on team defense.

If Everyone projects to be somewhat decent . The rockets would have a huge starting line up . So it would be just about getting more reps and expireince to get better on d since the physical profile should be there.

KPJ, Eason,Jabari are all pretty long for their positions.

I think what being lost is being competent at something, being good at something and mastering something are all separate levels. We can all be competent at something, but only some are good at something and only >1% actually master something.

The study showed that the sheer number of hours wasn't that important. The most important factor was the intensity of the training and the level of expert of who you are being trained by IN ADDITION to the hours.

If you are baking the same dessert every weekend, at some point the rate of improvement hits a climax or have marginal gains, just because its sheer repetition and no test of actual skill level.

I don’t totally disagree, but I think you are minimizing a lot here. “Finding it” isn’t equal opportunity. Also, by saying fat people can excel at something so that means it isn’t a sport obfuscates the fact that these people succeeded despite their physical limitations. You take away the intricacies in every sport by doing that. Look at NFL players in the past.

Obfuscates?

I think what being lost is being competent at something, being good at something and mastering something are all separate levels. We can all be competent at something, but only some are good at something and only >1% actually master something.

The study showed that the sheer number of hours wasn't that important. The most important factor was the intensity of the training and the level of expert of who you are being trained by IN ADDITION to the hours.

If you are baking the same dessert every weekend, at some point the rate of improvement hits a climax or have marginal gains, just because its sheer repetition and no test of actual skill level.

I can agree with with everything you said but I will also add that I was just using arbitrary examples, man :lol: I would never try to become the 1% at any of those things. Being even competent would be good enough for me, personally, and I think I could do that with the minimal amount of effort I described in my OG post.

I kind of thought what you said the study showed was implied but that was my mistake for assuming. I apologized.

What would be the baking dish you’d want to perfect? Red velvet cheesecake?

I wouldn’t want to perfect baking dish. I would just buy the perfect one.

It’s really because of work but I don’t believe in learning or doing things that I can just pay someone to do for me and I can utilize that time doing something more valuable.

I think having a natural interests in it has alot to do with it too. Many people who are a master of their craft became obsessed with it. Just like me at math. I lose track of where I am sometimes because it bores the **** out of me. But if you hand me a picture and tell me to draw it, I'll spend hours on every little detail to try to perfect it and probably would still be dissatisfied with the end product. Not because I was born out of the womb doing still life's, it was because I took interests in the anatomy of dinosaurs in Jurassic Park and liked how Dragonball Z characters and Gundam Modile Suits looked and wanted to replicate it on paper.

I believe anyone is capable of getting good most things within reason barring physical/mental contraints, it just comes down to whether or not you truly want to engross yourself in it, if you want to truly "master" it. All the greats like Michelangelo, Davinci, Einstein, Aristotle, etc. put their work and hobby above everything else, it takes that much to master something. I think we could put alot of the great athletes catagory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom