2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

RBI is a good program but it needs to do more.
RBI is a good program depending on the city or organization. I played for the Astros one. We had our regionals in Vegas where we squared off with the mariners, rangers, Rockies, angels, and one other clubs team they sent out.

Every club flew in to Vegas minus LA because of proximity. The Astros made us take a 36hour bus trip to Vegas. Crammed on one bus with 18U, 16U, and softball team. All the other organizations had replica unis and fitted hats and we had cheap snap back little league hats and these old red mesh screen printed jerseys that read Houston RBI. Astros wouldn’t even put their name on it. Haven’t looked at the Astros the same and that was back in 2004 lol.

Last edited:
To keep it real baseball is boring as hell when watching. It would need a game like Blue Jays vs Phillies today to keep someone’s interest. I can watch it cause I enjoy all sports but it’ll never be America’s favorite sport again. Not enough action cause the ball is never in play.

I know they’re doing something with the shift and that’s definitely needed. How is anyone expected to hit the ball if 10 players are standing on one side. So then came along launch angle which sorta ruined the game. So many strikeouts…………from not even elite pitchers I might add. Baseball let itself collapse. Once NHL passes it then it’ll really be a wrap. Although, playoff baseball is definitely lit and never really disappoints.

Oh yea the games are way too damn long as well. Glad a pitcher has to face at least 3 batters cause bringing in a new pitcher every 2 mins was brutal.

Baseball has turned into a local sport. People follow their local team and that's about it. The M's crowd is gonna be insane if they get to host a game in October. Yet hardly anyone will care outside of Seattle unless you're just a hardcore baseball fan like peeps in here.

And MLB playoffs is the best of the major sports. Hella nerve wrecking with every pitch. Any player can get hot for 1 month which makes it random/fun. 😬

Baseball is extremely regional now - Not the national game anymore.

They’re still making plenty of money but it’s just not the “national” game it used to be.

That’s why I started coming in here because I had no idea what was going on in other cities.

Baseball has turned into a local sport. People follow their local team and that's about it. The M's crowd is gonna be insane if they get to host a game in October. Yet hardly anyone will care outside of Seattle unless you're just a hardcore baseball fan like peeps in here.

And MLB playoffs is the best of the major sports. Hella nerve wrecking with every pitch. Any player can get hot for 1 month which makes it random/fun. 😬

Exactly.

From the limited Cardinal fans I hear from, seems like they think Goldy is having the season that Judge actually is LOL! Pujols is the bigger story there too I feel like.

Playoff baseball really is the best/worst. Intense af and you hang on every pitch.

I’m black and I’ve attended more baseball games the past two seasons in than I ever did prior. I love the game. I love the preparation etc. mlb doesn’t do enough to cater to the black community. RBI is a good program but it needs to do more.

Adds to my point of baseball being “regional”…

In the NY/Tri-State area, Baseball is damn near religion.

White, Black, Hispanic - it doesn’t matter

We don’t care about College Football and never will.

The likes of Goldy, Arenado and co. are tremendous ballplayers that just get overlooked is all...Im sure their contingent is just trying to rally behind their guys...just like I said, baseball is regional...you can get fanbases pulling strong for their team, so long as they're in it. That's why expanded playoffs is a good thing.

The likes of Goldy, Arenado and co. are tremendous ballplayers that just get overlooked is all...Im sure their contingent is just trying to rally behind their guys...just like I said, baseball is regional...you can get fanbases pulling strong for their team, so long as they're in it. That's why expanded playoffs is a good thing.
Oh yeah for sure I get it. Just kind of irked me all season that Arenado has been overshadowed a bit when he’s been balling like a MF too.

Yea I immediately responded without reading the rest of the comments

I see many of us agree because it’s we know the issues.

My issue has become the reoccurring theme of "baseball is boring", "nobody cares"...while that isn't necessarily wrong, it doesn't get to the core of the issue - to the likes of which the MLB is slow to and/or ignorant to adapt to.

They're lagging, but I'll yet again give credit, because they proposed and enacted rule changes some of us don't like...but they also took that further in MiLB and will be implementing changes a lot of us can come to the middle on, all the while scrapping some things they tried, but isn't well received or just not good for the game.

Oh yeah for sure I get it. Just kind of irked me all season that Arenado has been overshadowed a bit when he’s been balling like a MF too.

If baseball was on more people's radars, he'd be considered the best 3rd baseman of all-time...Schmidt arguments would be had and deserved, but folks just don't know...it's unfortunate

My issue has become the reoccurring theme of "baseball is boring", "nobody cares"...while that isn't necessarily wrong, it doesn't get to the core of the issue - to the likes of which the MLB is slow to and/or ignorant to adapt to.

They're lagging, but I'll yet again give credit, because they proposed and enacted rule changes some of us don't like...but they also took that further in MiLB and will be implementing changes a lot of us can come to the middle on, all the while scrapping some things they tried, but isn't well received or just not good for the game.

Hate the “baseball is boring narrative”….

Playoff baseball, especially if your team is in it will have you edge with every single pitch.

But it starts with playing the game. When you’ve played it you get it and appreciate it. Like dude said, MLB etc need to get kids especially in the inner city to play.

Hate the “baseball is boring narrative”….

Playoff baseball, especially if your team is in it will have you edge with every single pitch.

But it starts with playing the game. When you’ve played it you get it and appreciate it. Like dude said, MLB etc need to get kids especially in the inner city to play.

Agreed. I played, but my dad was a big influence on that, so I happened to be watching the '91 Twins at 6 years old, got hooked, hung on every WS pitch since. And that's kinda why it is defined as a past time in my opinion - the passing down of a love for the game.

The inner city involvement I believe to be crucial. Difficult task given the large influence of football, basketball and even soccer, but as with the school system prequesite of teachers having inspirational leaders that can make a difference, it's in the same vein...it takes folks that are willing coaches and can reach kids to get them excited about baseball.

Agreed. I played, but my dad was a big influence on that, so I happened to be watching the '91 Twins at 6 years old, got hooked, hung on every WS pitch since. And that's kinda why it is defined as a past tike in my opinion - the passing down of a love for the game.

The inner city involvement I believe to be crucial. Difficult task given the large influence of football, basketball and even soccer, but as with the school system prequesite of having inspirational leaders that can make a difference, it's in the same vein...it takes folks that are willing and can reach kids to get them excited about baseball.

I’m first generation. I had no connection to baseball. But I played and grew up with it. I was lucky. I was a rare case. But then again, like I said - Baseball in religion here.

My pops wanted me in playing all sports even tho he still doesn’t understand baseball to this day :lol:

I mentioned this in the Mariners thread in so many words, but I think they're content as the last WC to get Cleveland. Not the best team on paper, but very scrappy. They don't strike out, steal bases and have good pitching. That series would be must watch, probably a couple extra inning affairs and will leave you wanting more.

Baseball being regional is a great point indeed. I’ve lived here in nyc and in south Carolina. Football on every level in south Carolina and the region is religion. High school teams in the south have stadiums of their own. Baseball though played heavily isn’t nearly as big there despite having good weather to year round to play it. In the 1990’s being that we had the tbs/the braves and of course South Carolina having no professional sports team, Atlanta being 4 hours away that was our adopted squad.

CAme to nyc in 1994, strike killed the season then 1995 that Yankees/Mariners wild card playoff series, and of course 1996 when they ended the 18 year drought, Derek Jeter’s first full season and his Fila shoe being heavily promoted in the city and especially in the Bronx.

I became a Knicks fan due to my family being from nyc and me visiting in the summer in the 80’ss until 1994 when I stayed for good and the Knicks also training in nearby Charleston. SC every fall.

Baseball being regional is a great point indeed. I’ve lived here in nyc and in south Carolina. Football on every level in south Carolina and the region is religion. High school teams in the south have stadiums of their own. Baseball though played heavily isn’t nearly as big there despite having good weather to year round to play it. In the 1990’s being that we had the tbs/the braves and of course South Carolina having no professional sports team, Atlanta being 4 hours away that was our adopted squad.

CAme to nyc in 1994, strike killed the season then 1995 that Yankees/Mariners wild card playoff series, and of course 1996 when they ended the 18 year drought, Derek Jeter’s first full season and his Fila shoe being heavily promoted in the city and especially in the Bronx.

I became a Knicks fan due to my family being from nyc and me visiting in the summer in the 80’ss until 1994 when I stayed for good and the Knicks also training in nearby Charleston. SC every fall.

I can’t stand College Football man.

I hate it and the system with a passion.

I’ll watch the Championship game because I’ve been forced to with my boys…..

But they don’t really care about it either.

I’m a very casual baseball fan and only follow the Mets and seeing some of the batting averages of players is crazy. I’ll see some lineups with only 1 or 2 players hitting .300, the rest are barely .200. Then I see that .315 is good enough to win the AL batting title. That seems very low.

Back
Top Bottom