2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

I bet you that little punk “Foul Ball Guy” will be there.

I hope if he gets close to the ball someone body slams him.

This picture is tricking so many people on twitter :lol:

50FE6947-561D-4AAE-B2FB-32741ED328DE.jpeg

Wait you aren’t from NY? 😳

Wait do you mean the City? I’ve never said I was from the City tho :lol:

Westchester is a county/suburb of the NYC (Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon, White Plains, etc are part of Westchester). Knicks practice in Westchester.

Then Fairfield County, Connecticut is right next door to Westchester. Spent half my youth in Fairfield County then the other half in Westchester County.

Cali is so damn big size wise y’all just say SoCal. But NYC isn’t just the City. The NYC Metro Area consists of parts of NJ, NY, CT. We call it the “Tri-State”.

What Aaron Judge’s potential record home run balls could be worth for some lucky fans​

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 20: Aaron Judge #99 of the New York Yankees reacts in the dugout after hitting his 60th home run of the season in the ninth inning during the game between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 in New York, New York. (Photo by Daniel Shirey/MLB Photos via Getty Images)

NEW YORK — Standing in the concourse behind the Yankee Stadium outfield Tuesday night, Matthew Smith, 21, baseball cap on backward, beer in hand, said he knows what he would do if he caught one of Aaron Judge’s hoped-for record-breaking home runs: give it the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. He had seats right behind Judge’s right field stalking grounds.

Told some experts are appraising at $20 million total the balls Judge may hit for his 60th, 61st and 62nd home runs, the latter of which would break the American League record and be the most by a player not tainted by the steroid era, the Ramapo College music major doubles down.

“It’s part of history,” Smith said, speaking a few innings before Judge hit his 60th home run. That ball was returned by a Generation Z cohort, Michael Kessler, who only asked for some team swag and to meet the bomber himself. (The chances someone could possess all three balls at once, and thereby sell them for $20 million, is very remote, to say the least.)

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Aaron Judge's teammates just excited to be along for his ride toward history

The Judge home run chase happens to coincide with a boom in the sports memorabilia business, a sort of perfect storm that could spark gasp-worthy values attached to the remaining home run balls the California native hits the rest of the season — and not just the one that would give him the AL record. If he breaks the record, arguably his final home run of the season could be worth the most. Assuming he hits more.

The record price for a sports collectible was set in August when a nearly perfect and rare 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card sold for $12.6 million via Heritage Auctions. Trading cards have commanded the most money during the current boom, with items such as game-used bats, balls, uniforms, sneakers and other equipment starting to pick up in price.

USATSI_19083932_168393355_lowres.jpg

Aaron Judge hits home run No. 60 on Tuesday night against the Pirates. (Brad Penner / USA Today)
Collector Todd McFarlane, the famed comic book artist and “Spawn” creator, bought Barry Bonds’ 70th home run ball for $3 million in early 1999 before the stories linking the slugger to steroids emerged. Appraisers contend that ball has since lost significant value, but McFarland has publicly shrugged off concerns because of the business opportunities presented by owning — and showing off — the historic baseballs.

Judge’s record-breaking ball could fetch anywhere from $750,000 to $1.25 million, said Ken Goldin, the founder of Goldin Auctions that is now owned by Collector’s Universe, the parent company of Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA).

“That should take place relatively quickly,” Goldin said, recommending the lucky fan auctions the ball before Judge hits more dingers. And even if he does, Goldin predicted the same price range for the final ball’s sale.

The No. 61 ball, which would tie Roger Maris for the team and American League record, should sell for $250,000 to $350,000, Goldin said.

“It is an incredibly hot market right now,” he said. “One thing that’s going to be very important to increase the value is if he caps it off with a world championship. This is what everyone’s going to remember: Aaron Judge carries the Yankees to their first championship in 13 years.”

Whether to witness history or a chance at the golden ticket — i.e. catching a lucrative home run ball — ticket prices for Yankees games have soared, especially in the outfield seats where the ball might land (it could settle in the bullpens away from the fans). Prices on average have more than doubled on the secondary ticket market in the last week, with some topping $4,000.

Adam Martin, a major trading card and sports collectibles retailer, noted that there are still relatively cheap outfield seats left at Globe Life Field where the Yankees finish the season with four games against the Texas Rangers.

“That’s probably a pretty good investment,” said Martin, co-owner of Dave & Adam’s Card World in Buffalo, N.Y., adding that it’s potentially “shooting a winning lottery ticket into the stands.”

Judge’s final home run of the season, not just No. 62, should command the highest sales price, he said.

“The last home run ball he hits is a million bucks,” he said.

Joe Webster, a collector who caught Braves star Ronald Acuña Jr.’s first home run ball at Great American Ball Park in 2018, warns whoever catches the ball to be ready for scrutiny if he or she does not immediately hand the ball over.

Webster, who studied where Acuña hit most of his minor league homers to position himself in the left field upper deck and a friend in the lower level, received signed team items and met Acuña in exchange for the ball.

But he said to this day he receives grief for not just handing it over.

“Whoever catches this should strap in for some social media hellfire because you’re going to have half the world who thinks you should just give it up for a handshake and you’ll have half the world who thinks you should sell it for $20 million,” Webster said. “There’s people in Braves country that despise me because I asked for more than just a baseball and a handshake.

“First, it was an absolute sh–storm,” he continued. “And the second year the same thing, you had a local radio host like still griping on it, like, calling me every name on the books.”

Catching the ball was relatively easy for Webster. Few fans were in the ballpark for an April game in Cincinnati. One fan nearly jumped in front of him to catch it but the ball nestled into Webster’s hands. Acuña signed the ball in Spanish and inscribed it to Webster.

What about other items linked to Judge’s historic feat, such as his bat and uniform? The ball is the fan’s to keep. The rest is up to Judge and the team.

“He owns his bat and all of his equipment except technically his uniform,” Goldin said. And teams almost always allow the player to keep their uniform, he added.

“I’ve never heard of a team that does not do that,” Goldin said.

go-deeper
https://theathletic.com/3614779/2022/09/21/aaron-judge-shohei-ohtani-mvp/
With Judge heading into free agency, it’s unlikely the Yankees would do anything foolish to irritate him during a special moment.

Goldin implored the fan who gets the historic ball to resist the urge to give the ball back to the team in return for signed items, photos, tickets and a meet-and-greet. He said one can do all that for $2,500 at a baseball card show or event.

But Smith, the Ramapo student, recalled the drama around Alex Rodriguez’s 3,000th hit, a home run caught by notorious ballhawk Zach Hample. Hample refused to turn the ball over for weeks until the Yankees donated $150,000 to his favorite charity.

Chances are if the home runs are hit, something more than some signed jerseys and bats should be bartered with the lucky fan for an item that could be worth seven figures.

“You will never get the opportunity again, depending on what kind of work you do,” Goldin said, “to get $1 million in one day.”

Westchester is a county/suburb of the NYC (Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon, White Plains, etc are part of Westchester). Knicks practice in Westchester.

Then Fairfield County, Connecticut is right next door to Westchester. Spent half my youth in Fairfield County then the other half in Westchester County.

Cali is so damn big size wise y’all just say SoCal. But NYC isn’t just the City. The NYC Metro Area consists of parts of NJ, NY, CT. We call it the “Tri-State”.

LA is the same way. You got the city...then you got the county.

You got folks that live in Lancaster claiming LA because it's in the county. It's like an hour drive from the city to Lancaster...lol

You got all those towns to choose from yet y’all insist on moving down here to Miami and driving up the rent and property values. Stay home New Yorkers

LA is the same way. You got the city...then you got the county.

You got folks that live in Lancaster claiming LA because it's in the county. It's like an hour drive from the city to Lancaster...lol

Your Counties, States, etc are so GOD DAMN big in the West Coast.

They said F*** everything West of Mississippi and and just drew huge states and counties. :lol:

Our counties are smallllll. I could get to the NYC from Fairfield County, Connecticut in just 20 mins.

You got all those towns to choose from yet y’all insist on moving down here to Miami and driving up the rent and property values. Stay home New Yorkers

Blah, blah, blah.

We use South Florida as our sandbox and you’re just going to have to DEAL with it.

If it wasn’t for NYers and people from the Northeast - South Florida would be like Northern Florida.

Now that’d be WAYYYYY worse. :lol:

Thought you said you were born and raised in Connecticut :lol:

Blah, blah, blah.

We use South Florida as our sandbox and you’re just going to have to DEAL with it.

If it wasn’t for NYers and people from the Northeast - South Florida would be like Northern Florida. Now that’s BAD and WAY worse. :lol:

Not true. I’m not going to let you take credit for this. Immigration from other parts of the world make Miami unique. Not you carpetbaggers. All you do is complain, “tHe PiZzA hErE sUcKs,” “i MiSs ThE bAgElS bAcK hOmE,” “iTs tOo HoT.” Go home then. Please.

Thought you said you were born and raised in Connecticut :lol:

Oh yea, I was. :lol:

Then moved to NY in 5th grade.

But where I was in CT to where I moved in NY in 5th grade was only like 12 miles away.

My bad, I thought you thought I was from the City.

Reactions: HIM
Not true. I’m not going to let you take credit for this. Immigration from other parts of the world make Miami unique. Not you carpetbaggers. All you do is complain, “tHe PiZzA hErE sUcKs,” “i MiSs ThE bAgElS bAcK hOmE,” “iTs tOo HoT.” Go home then. Please.

Immigrants only started going to Miami because that’s where all the Northeast Money was.

Immigrants weren’t moving to Tallahassee or Gainesville.

Yes Miami is an International city BUT the Northeast had a lot to do with it. They invested in South Florida when it was just the Everglades and barren.

And then the immigrants came and made it better.

Chiming in on the overall lack of interest in baseball, regional sports networks low key really hurt MLB. When I was a kid, you could watch the Braves (TBS) or Cubs (WGN) daily but you had like 3-4 national games on ESPN during the week. You got to know the other teams and followed the game in general. Then MLB Extra Innings came out and you could watch your team daily. I watch 150+ Yankee games a year and I can honestly say I haven't watched a non Yankee game all year. I'm a Yankee fan, not an MLB fan.

The other thing that hurt it is that travel baseball starts at like 8 now. Lots of kids are turned off from even playing Little League bc they aren't cool enough to play travel ball. And travel ball is expensive so a lot of kids are locked out of it. People are much more likely to follow a sport as an adult if they played it as a kid. We need more kids playing baseball, not just rich kids.

Watching Sammy Sosa, Kerry Wood, Mark Prior on WGN middays was my elementary/middle school summer break BREAK from being outside.... game was on every day in Minnesota.

Bantz Lord T Bantz Lord T that “Pizza” and “Bagel” rant was on point tho. Cause I heard that sometimes.

That really made had me LOLing 😭

But during my 7 years in South Florida I found really good NY style Delis tho.

Granted I was in Boca Raton most of my time there but I didn’t have an issue with finding good food at all.

Bantz Lord T Bantz Lord T that “Pizza” and “Bagel” rant was on point tho. Cause I heard that sometimes.

That really made had me LOLing 😭

But during my 7 years in South Florida I found really good NY style Delis tho.

Granted I was in Boca Raton most of my time there but I didn’t have an issue with finding good food at all.

Where’d you go? I’m up there from time to time for work so it’d be good to know

Back
Top Bottom