2025 NBA Draft Thread

New NBA draft intel: Trade talk, sleepers and perfect fits

What has changed about the 2020 NBA draft since the August lottery drawing?

Now that the NBA season is over, the long-delayed 2020 draft on Nov. 18 is finally in sight. What's the latest on the pre-draft process and the No. 1 pick race? Which prospects are most likely to rise over the next month? And which teams should consider trading up or down given this wide-open class?

Our draft experts Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz catch you up on the latest intel and answer the big questions.

1. How much will the relaxed evaluation restrictions impact the pre-draft process?
Givony: That remains to be seen, as I'm hearing about some pushback from teams on the new rules. At least half of the teams in the league are considering either not having any executives fly to workouts or having a minimal presence in hubs such as Las Vegas and Los Angeles for pro days held by agencies.

There are a number of reasons for this:

The protocols put in place are viewed by some teams as not worth the hassle for a one-on-zero workout setting that could be uninformative or even misleading.

Teams are concerned about the possibility of an executive contracting COVID and being forced to quarantine on draft night.

Many NBA teams are based in cities or states that require mandatory quarantine of up to two weeks for travelers.

Some teams are strongly opposed to the idea of sharing the names of the 10 players they are most interested in scouting with the NBA league office, for privacy and competitive reasons.

Requests have already been made by front offices for the NBA to relax the current rules. And even then, the pro day format has issues for both agencies and executives. It will be difficult for agents to accommodate more than three or four teams per day for a workout, hourlong in-person interview and 30-minute examination by a trainer or physician. That medical examination, which has its own complicated protocols, is considered by teams to be among the most important pieces of intel they're seeking at the moment.

Teams picking in the top five are expected to most actively arrange these meetings and workouts. Franchises drafting lower than that appear to be taking more of a wait-and-see approach. But my gut says that once these workouts get going, FOMO will kick in and cause teams to elect to have some type of presence where possible.

2. What's the latest on the No. 1 pick race?
Givony: Teams around the league say that Minnesota has been active in trade discussions, exploring multiple options with the No. 1 pick.

General manager Gersson Rosas is known to cast a wide net and keep things close to the vest. Agents with prospects projected to be picked at the top of the draft say Rosas has been noncommittal regarding his intentions, and he appears open to looking at players projected in the middle of the lottery. That could signal a willingness to move down a few slots in the draft while picking up another asset.

Guards LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards remain the most likely candidates here if Minnesota stays put. But until we get more clarity on the Wolves' ownership situation, it will be difficult to predict their plans.

3. Who are the contenders for the Warriors at No. 2 if they keep the pick?
Schmitz: Agents and executives around the league consider Memphis big James Wiseman the most likely selection if the Warriors keep this pick.

Head coach Steve Kerr has said publicly that the Warriors need a jolt of athleticism, and Wiseman is one of the most physically impressive centers we've ever evaluated. While Wiseman is not the most NBA-ready prospect given his three-game college career and still-evolving feel, the Warriors will likely want to both fill a need at center and select a future building block here. Wiseman satisfies both.

Deni Avdija, Tyrese Haliburton, Isaac Okoro, Obi Toppin and Onyeka Okongwu all fit well with the roster, but the general feeling around the league is that Golden State would try to trade down before selecting any of those prospects No. 2 overall.

4. Which prospects are most likely to rise between now and the draft?
Schmitz: That's more difficult than usual to predict given the uncertainty surrounding the pre-draft process. But big wings with two-way potential have never been more valuable, which bodes well for prospects such as Devin Vassell, Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels and Josh Green.

Williams is garnering as much upward momentum as any prospect in the draft over the past few months. The 19-year-old Florida State product is 6-foot-8 and 225 pounds with a 7-foot wingspan. He brings some ball-handling skills and seems to have a strong chance of landing in the top 10.

Moving forward, McDaniels seems most likely to rise to me. If executives end up seeing him in a one-on-zero workout like I did last week in Santa Barbara, California, it's hard to envision him making it out of the top 20 -- a sweet spot for playoff teams that can be patient and feel good about their organizational infrastructure. Although he had an inconsistent season on an underachieving Washington team, McDaniels is a 6-10 wing with a soft touch from 3 and fluidity with the ball in his hands. At some point some team is going to swing on the talent.

5. Who is a sleeper prospect you're watching closely?
Givony: I'll be fascinated to see what happens with Kansas' Udoka Azubuike. Big men who can't shoot or pass and struggle to defend on the perimeter are considered dinosaurs in today's NBA, but I wonder if Azubuike is simply too much of an outlier to put in a traditional box.

He brings rare physical dimensions -- 6-11 in shoes, 270 pounds, 7-8 wingspan and 9-5 standing reach -- and combines that with an ability to play above the rim with power. He was a dominant defender and rebounder at the college level, and finished as the all-time leader in field goal percentage (79.4%) in NCAA history.

Kansas was the best team in college basketball according to basically every metric, and Azubuike was their most important player. It's not a perfect comparison, but if Boban Marjanovic can find a way to make an impact in a playoff series, I don't see any reason why Azubuike can't at least do something similar in the regular season for a creative coach.

Schmitz: San Diego State's Malachi Flynn, who could ultimately emerge as a draft-day bargain thanks to his shotmaking ability (37% from 3), budding floor-game (2.82 assist-to-turnover ratio) and defensive toughness. He may not have the size, length and explosiveness that teams look for in a top-flight starter, but guards who can shoot off the dribble with range and make all the necessary ball-screen reads have a place in today's NBA. Just look at Devonte' Graham.

According to Synergy Sports Technology, Flynn generated the most efficient pick-and-roll offense in the NCAA on over 400 possessions used. At 22 with over 3,000 career minutes, he's ready to step in and have an impact early in his career. He should continue to garner attention as a potential sleeper.

6. Which team should consider trading up?
Givony: I'd love to see the New York Knicks use their pick (No. 8), Dallas' 2021 first-rounder and potentially another asset to move up to get LaMelo Ball. If there's not a team in the top three enthused enough about Ball, this might be an opportunity for the Knicks.

It would be incredibly entertaining to see the Ball show in Madison Square Garden. Ball and coach Tom Thibodeau are probably not an ideal pairing, but both sides would need to make it work badly enough that there might be some hope.

7. Which team should consider trading down?
Schmitz: The Warriors should see what they can get by moving down and selecting more of a win-now contributor.

Onyeka Okongwu is arguably the best defensive big in the draft and is ready to have a major impact from Day 1. Obi Toppin is an electrifying rim-runner, lob threat and floor-spacer. Isaac Okoro is the draft's best perimeter defender and plays a fill-in-the-gaps style that we've seen from Andre Iguodala. Deni Avdija is a mismatch forward whose versatility is built for Warriors basketball. And Tyrese Haliburton can impact the game from all over the floor without needing much volume.

Passing on the upside of Edwards, Ball and Wiseman might be worth it for Golden State if one of those mid-lottery prospects is available with another immediate contributor or future trade asset attached.

8. Which prospect-team pairing do you think is a perfect fit?
Givony: He might not be on the board this late, but Patrick Williams to San Antonio at No. 11 seems like a great match. Williams has an ideal build for a modern NBA forward, with impressive length, athleticism and strength. He's shown enough flashes of shot-making and defensive versatility to make you wonder what he might look like after a few years in a strong player-development situation. His creation skills and overall feel for the game leave something to be desired, but San Antonio can afford to be patient with the second-youngest player projected to be drafted.

Schmitz: I love what Tyrese Maxey could become with the Phoenix Suns alongside Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges. The Suns could use another jolt of shot creation and off-ball scoring in the backcourt, and that's exactly what Maxey provides. He is the next Kentucky guard with more on-ball potential than he was able to show at the collegiate ranks given the abundance of talent on the Wildcats' roster.

gotta think Wiseman has the highest floor.

guys with his physical tools at 7 feet

if you can catch a lob and aren't brain dead on defense you'll be in the league for 10+ years.

i mean Javale Mcgee is brain dead on defense and he's still in the league
If his role early on is to just be an athletic version of what Andrew Bogut was for them in those title runs, with the added bonus of real rim running potential, I think that's a massive value to how their roster is structured.

Should they just sign a Hassan Whiteside (I know, I know) or Nerlens Noel instead? And use the lotto pick on wing help?
Kinda think you get more value out of the other way around... Just way more viable budget wing options at this point on the open market, it seems.

Especially if your scouting department sees Wiseman as the highest upside guy in the class and you feel like you can unlock his skillset.

N41D N41D

Would you do Semi Ojeleye/26/30 for 18?

Feel like Semi could actually play for you guys. He shot the 3 pretty well last year and is a solid, multi-positional defender. Just can't really do much else, but don't think he'd really need to playing with Luka.

N41D N41D

Would you do Semi Ojeleye/26/30 for 18?

Feel like Semi could actually play for you guys. He shot the 3 pretty well last year and is a solid, multi-positional defender. Just can't really do much else, but don't think he'd really need to playing with Luka.
I'd lean towards no for a couple of reasons...

I don't think this team necessarily needs multiple guys in this draft group... They've got depth. And I think there's a handful of guys in the 18 range that fit the profile they should be looking for.

And I think Ojeleye is probably too similar to DFS... It's another body, but limited upside and closer to needing a contract than whatever they'd draft at 18.

I'd lean towards no for a couple of reasons...

I don't think this team necessarily needs multiple guys in this draft group... They've got depth. And I think there's a handful of guys in the 18 range that fit the profile they should be looking for.

And I think Ojeleye is probably too similar to DFS... It's another body, but limited upside and closer to needing a contract than whatever they'd draft at 18.
I hear ya. I know Dallas doesn't have a pick next year, which went into my thinking, but I did forget that they have the 31st pick, which is pretty valuable since you can give them a two-way.

I hear ya. I know Dallas doesn't have a pick next year, which went into my thinking, but I did forget that they have the 31st pick, which is pretty valuable since you can give them a two-way.
If they were looking to trade off 18, I’d almost be tempted to trade out of this draft, use 31, and get a 1 next year if someone was willing to trade a future 1 for someone at 18.

Trolling my cousin but def want knicks to try to get lamelo.

I like Paul Reed projected really late second round and was on depaul, I'm a PC grad so saw him play a couple times and he is a hakim warrick body type but with better offense.

Has there been any international american hssr opt for 1 year that has been super productive or too soon, I feel the recent ones have flamed out.
Brandon Jennings
Mudiay
Thon Maker

Hampton was a top 10 prospect at one point.

Back
Top Bottom