2025 NBA Draft Thread

Mobley projects to defend though in addition to his intriguing offensive bag. Plus have you been watching the Suns this Playoff?

definitely a higher quality defender then all the bigs recently all the way back to AD.

Ayton is coming into his own but look who was taken after him. Not saying Mobley won’t be a great player, but you NEED solid guard/wing play to win it all.

I don’t think Mobley will be the offensive talent or rebounder that Ayton is.

Three different mock drafts (SBNation, SI, BR) have Cam Thomas going to the Lakers. Is there a promise I haven't heard about?

Lifelong Pistons fan here. I've had season tickets for 5 years. In the 2018-19 season I went to all 41 home games and 33 of the 41 road games. When I tell you I bawled my eyes out with tears of joy tonight I am 100% serious. This is a great day.

Lifelong Pistons fan here. I've had season tickets for 5 years. In the 2018-19 season I went to all 41 home games and 33 of the 41 road games. When I tell you I bawled my eyes out with tears of joy tonight I am 100% serious. This is a great day.
Just wait til they trade the pick for 2, 23, 24 and Detroit’s pick back.

Only lil piece of good about the Magic pick is they should be outta position to draft Mobley…They don’t need to be picking any bigs for a while :lol: :smh:

He really a point? Didn't watch whole Rocket games just highlights mostly
He played PG for the first team in the G League for us and was really good. When he came up to the rockets he played 30% at the PG spot because Wall is the starting PG of course but that’s where I want KPJ.

Pretty interesting lottery shakeout. Could go a multitude of ways after 1. Lot of trade potential.

I wonder who's going to avoid working out for the Cavs.

2021 NBA Mock Draft, with lottery set: Cade Cunningham to Pistons at No. 1, Evan Mobley, Jalen Green follow

The 2021 NBA Draft Lottery is over, and the Detroit Pistons are the winners. They are set to select No. 1 overall on July 29.

There were three other big winners on Tuesday night, though. Houston kept the top-four protected pick that it could have owed Oklahoma City by nature of getting the No. 2 overall pick. Cleveland moved to No. 3 and will get to add another terrific player to its rebuild. The Raptors moved up to No. 4, allowing Toronto to bring an elite talent to its already impressive mix of contract-controlled players.

Why is it so important to be in the top four this year? By and large, NBA sources believe that group to be among the best we’ve seen in a recent draft, with Cade Cunningham leading the way for most evaluators. He’s followed in some order by — everyone has a drastically different view on this across the board — Evan Mobley, Jalen Green and Jalen Suggs. Jonathan Kuminga and Scottie Barnes are seen as the next group that evaluators are excited about. Past them? It’s a bit of chaos. Teams are all over the board from No. 7 on down. Players — and their representation — will certainly be maneuvering around for position, trying to find the absolute best fit for their talents.

Where does that leave us in terms of a projection? Here’s a full 60-player mock draft just one hour after the lottery happened.

1. Detroit Pistons
Cade Cunningham | 6-foot-8, lead ballhandler | 19 years old, freshman | Oklahoma State
The player: Cunningham is the clear No. 1 player in this draft, a 6-foot-8 primary playmaker who profiles as a dynamic All-NBA mismatch nightmare. If you need him to play the point, he can do that. His time at Montverde Academy showed he is a smart, unselfish passer who can make all of the necessary reads. If you need him to play as a scoring threat, though, he can do that too. Cunningham was the primary scoring option this past season for Oklahoma State, carrying a substandard roster to an extremely impressive season while averaging 20 points per game and shooting over 40 percent from 3. On top of it, he’s a good, multi-positional defender who always knows where he needs to be in help and in switches. Cunningham is the total package, one of the safest players to enter the draft in a while.

The fit: Such a great night for the Pistons, as they end up in the driver’s seat to take Cunningham. The team will obviously make moves around itself to put him in the best position to succeed long term. With Saddiq Bey and Isaiah Stewart having made the NBA All-Rookie team, they have two solid young guys for him to build with. I also think Killian Hayes will work well as a secondary ballhandler next to Cunningham, although I think the team will need to go out and get an explosive, creative athlete to pair with those two in the backcourt as a trio just to consistently pressure the defense.

While Cunningham is by far the most likely pick here, I don’t think we should necessarily write this in stone yet. The one thing that every person in basketball says about Troy Weaver is that he absolutely does not subscribe to group think. He said in a post-lottery presser that they’ll look at five guys and then make the best decision. It’s worth taking him at his word. After the lottery, I got texts from multiple sources that said the Pistons are also thought to be fans of Jalen Green. So look, I’m mocking Cunningham here. Pistons fans who want Cunningham shouldn’t have a meltdown based off this. But this isn’t like 2019 when Zion Williamson was a done deal and everyone in the basketball industry knew it. Cunningham is considered the likely choice here. He’s the overwhelming favorite. But everyone seems to be acting like this is unequivocally a done deal, and I’m not totally convinced of that as of right now, an hour after the lottery.

2. Houston Rockets
Evan Mobley | 7-0 center | 19 years old, freshman | USC
The player: Mobley is a very well-rounded center prospect, a much stronger fit for the modern NBA than last year’s top-two pick James Wiseman. Mobley is a tremendous defender with incredible instincts, both as a rim protector and away from the basket. He’s good in pick-and-coverages due to how fluid and mobile his hips and feet are. Offensively, he is really comfortable handling the ball and making plays as a passer. He has some upside as a shot creator out of dribble handoffs and short rolls. USC even used him as a pick-and-roll ballhandler at times. He has the potential to step away and shoot too, as he made 12 3s this past season. He carried USC to the Elite Eight, one of the best seasons in school history. This is another potential All-Star-level talent.

The fit: No team had more riding on this lottery than Houston, and it came through with a top-two pick. For a team reeling after the James Harden trade, without a true centerpiece to build around at this stage (sorry, Kevin Porter Jr. and Christian Wood), losing this pick could have set the Rockets back for another full year while waiting for an influx of major, high-end talent. And while the Rockets didn’t end up at No. 1, they got the next best result.

Mobley is the highest-upside player on the board outside of Cunningham, a do-everything center who would be a tremendous centerpiece to build around. He might not be as impactful early on in his career as he gets stronger and more physical, but by the time he’s 23, I’d anticipate him competing for NBA All-Star spots regularly. A huge night for the Rockets.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers
Jalen Green | 6-5 guard | 18 years old | G League Ignite
The player: One of the better scoring prospects of the last decade. Green isn’t quite as powerful as Anthony Edwards but has a similar level of quick-twitch and converts that twitch into powerful leaping and finishing off both one foot and two around the basket. I also like Green’s pull-up game and shooting and think it’s a bit ahead of where Edwards was last season. Green has a bit better touch entering the NBA and a bit more of a polished in-between game. He still has a ways to go in terms of making decisions and providing real defensive value on a consistent basis, but he’s one of the surest bets to average at least 20 points per game at some point in his career.

The fit: The Cavaliers have a tendency to take the best player available, regardless of fit on the roster. Green is the player I get more often than any when asking who the third-best player is in the class behind Mobley and Cunningham. Pairing him in the backcourt with Darius Garland would be absolutely spectacular, as the duo’s combination of creativity would absolutely pose enormous problems for any other team. That’s the pairing I like best here, more so than Collin Sexton with Green given that neither is a high-level passer. I’d probably start exploring the trade market for Sexton now. It also seems this pick could be moved, given ESPN’s report live during the broadcast. But I wouldn’t do that. I’d just take Green and have what could be one of the best backcourts in the NBA in four years.

4. Toronto Raptors
Jalen Suggs | 6-5 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Gonzaga
The player: A powerful guard with a well-rounded game, Suggs profiles nicely as a lead initiator in the NBA. He has terrific athleticism and quick-twitch, mixed with terrific power and explosion as a dunker. He pairs that with a real skill level and feel for the game. He plays an attack-oriented but patient brand of basketball while maintaining control. When engaged, he’s a tremendous on-ball defender. There just aren’t a ton of holes with Suggs, and he has the look of a future All-Star if the jumper improves just by a small margin. Really, he just needs to iron out some of the wild tendencies in his game, as well as tighten up his jumper a bit.

The fit: Suggs getting to No. 4 would be a home run for the Raptors. His mixture in between Fred VanVleet in the backcourt and OG Anunoby on the wing would be tremendous due to his athleticism and creativity. He can put legitimate pressure on the rim in a way that few others in this class can, which is something the Raptors could use. He also has the high-energy defensive mindset that Nick Nurse loves when he’s locked in. And while he keeps working out his jumper — which isn’t bad, it just needs some time to work its way into consistency — the Raptors would really be able to space the floor around him. All around, a really good spot for them. If Suggs falls, it’s a win. If Green falls, he’s a similar high-level athlete who can attack. If it’s Mobley at No. 4, it fills their biggest positional need at center. Great night for the Raptors.

5. Orlando Magic
Jonathan Kuminga | 6-7 wing/forward | 18 years old | G League Ignite
The player: Kuminga had an up-and-down experience with the G League Ignite this year. He’s an athletic wing with real shot-creation potential due to his body control and power. He’s a terrific driver who gets into the paint, and he plays really hard. He cuts well, and while he didn’t shoot it well this past season, I don’t think his shot off the catch is broken by any stretch. Still, he shot 25 percent from 3 this year. He also struggled a bit on defense within the construct of what the Ignite wanted to do as a team, but he has all of the tools you look for with a 7-foot-plus wingspan and real athleticism and strength. He averaged 16 points and seven rebounds in his first professional experience and profiles well as a starting wing with real All-Star upside if the shot comes around.

The fit: The Magic have an interesting backcourt combination with Cole Anthony, R.J. Hampton and Markelle Fultz returning from injury. They also have a fun frontcourt pairing long term with Jonathan Isaac and Wendell Carter. What’s missing is a scoring wing. Kuminga fits that bill. He also fits a lot of what the Magic has looked for under this front office: a long, athletic wing that plays aggressively. He, Isaac and Chuma Okeke would be fun, complementary frontcourt pieces.

6. Oklahoma City Thunder
Scottie Barnes | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Florida State
The player: At7. Golden State Warriors (via MIN)
James Bouknight | 6-5 wing | 20 years old, sophomore | Connecticut
The player: Bouknight is a terrific athlete with great scoring acumen. At 6-foot-5 with long arms, he has good size for the off-guard position. His game is built off of the playground. He has tremendous shake and has potential to be a genuine three-level scorer in the NBA. He’s an absolutely tremendous finisher for a guard, who absorbs contact and finishes through it. Anything you’re looking for in a guy’s bag from a craft perspective, Bouknight has it, and it’s a fun game to watch. Ultimately though, he needs to prove that he can knock down shots at a bit of a better clip, given that it needs to be a genuine plus skill with what his game will be.

The fit: The Warriors will be looking for immediate help, either in the form of a draft pick who can help now or a trade. The Warriors really lacked offensive creation last season in the backcourt any time that Stephen Curry left the floor. Bouknight is the kind of creative force who can put pressure on the rim. His ability to create off the bounce in between Curry and Klay Thompson would be a blast to watch.

8. Orlando Magic (via CHI)
Josh Giddey | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | Adelaide
The player: Giddey had a terrific season in Australia, averaging 11 points, seven rebounds and seven assists. leading the league in helpers and finishing sixth in rebounding as an 18-year-old. He needs to tighten up his handle a bit and keep improving as a shooter, but the skillset here is perfect for that of a secondary playmaker at the next level due to how quickly he processes the game. Giddey should be a very high-level role player who starts, with some upside for more if the jumper gets figured out.

The fit: Giddey would give the Magic a bit more size and unselfishness in the backcourt. Anthony, Kuminga (the pick above) and Hampton are more scoring guards. Giddey’s a terrific rebounder who gets out on the break and makes high-level passing reads. He has a case as the most creative passer and playmaker in the draft. A perimeter player group of Fultz, Anthony, Hampton, Giddey, Kuminga and Okeke would be a really fun core to build around moving forward with a lot of skills that work well in conjunction with one another.

9. Sacramento Kings
Keon Johnson | 6-5 wing | 18 years old, freshman | Tennessee
The player: An elite athlete, Johnson has the kind of twitch and explosion most players only dream of possessing. At 6-foot-5, he can jump out of the gym and has burst as a driver. He’s also an elite defender on the ball already, where he uses that length and quickness to cause issues for players at the one through three spots. He’s just very raw on offense. The jumper needs work, as he’s essentially a non-shooter right now — at least efficiently. He also needs to work on his handle and driving ability. But once Tennessee let him loose late in the season, Johnson was pretty good. He averaged 14.4 points, four rebounds and three assists over his final 12 games, including a bevy of impressive highlights that showcase what his upside is if he can keep rounding out his game.

The fit: The Kings basically have two guys they’re truly building around in De’Aaron Fox and Tyrese Haliburton. Richaun Holmes is a free agent this offseason and could be in line for a real payday, so I would imagine they look for a frontcourt option here. Ultimately though, Johnson would give them a very different presence than anything they have in their backcourt due to his defensive value and athletic upside. The Kings have one of the worst defenses I’ve seen on an NBA court, so getting someone who can set the tone on that end while also possessing long-term upside on offense seems like a strong choice.

10. New Orleans Pelicans
Franz Wagner | 6-9 forward | 19 years old, sophomore | Michigan
The player: Wagner is an interesting 3-and-D prospect at 6-9. His movement is terrific, with great lateral quickness. He can guard a variety of perimeter players on the ball, but his off-ball instincts are absolutely spectacular. He knows exactly where to be positionally, and his reactivity to get deflections is outstanding. The big question revolves around his shot, which comes and goes far too often. Sometimes, he looks like a legit 40 percent 3-point shooter in the future. Other times, he looks like a 30 percent guy and totally non-confident in the jumper mechanics. Whichever one he is will determine his career. If he becomes that high-level shooter, he’ll be a very high-level role player who starts. If he doesn’t, he’s more in the vein of his brother, Moritz, as an end-of-the-rotation guy.

The fit: The Pelicans need to surround Zion Williamson with two things: shooting and defense. Wagner’s defensive IQ would be a huge help next to Williamson and Brandon Ingram, especially at 6-foot-9. If you believe in his jumper long-term as I do, then this would be about as perfect a fit between that duo as you’ll find.

11. Charlotte Hornets
Moses Moody | 6-6 wing | 18 years old, freshman | Arkansas
The player: Moody is a terrific 3-and-D wing option at 6-6 with a 7-foot wingspan. He is switchable on defense, with good feet and a tough mindset. Offensively, he hits shots with a smooth stroke off the catch. He took a ton of contested shots this season as Arkansas’ go-to guy, which led to some of his inefficiencies. But he also showcased some difficult shot-making ability too, off the move. The big things to work on here are his passing ability and finishing — and he’s not a wild athlete by any stretch. But it’s tough to find teenagers who are this good at shooting and defending with a platform to improve his other aspects as well.

The fit: The Hornets desperately need a long-term answer at center with Cody Zeller entering free agency this offseason. Having said that, they have an awful lot of cap space they can use this summer to fill that need, and sources around the league believe that they are likely to target a center when using that space to try to take another leap up the Eastern Conference hierarchy. I don’t think the potential to sign a center would necessarily preclude them from taking a big in the draft, but another need this team has is a pure 3-and-D wing. Moody projects as the kind of high-level shooter and defender with size that would fit nicely in between LaMelo Ball, Gordon Hayward, PJ Washington, Terry Rozier and Miles Bridges. 6-foot-8 with a 7-foot-2 wingspan and a strong, powerful frame, Barnes has prototypical size and length for the wing and switchable big position. His lateral agility also is strong, allowing him to be the one prospect in this class who can genuinely switch one through five right now. There are so few players in the NBA who are this big, this long, and this fluid, who also consistently play as hard as Barnes does with such an infectious energy. Offensively, there is some work to do, but he’s a tremendous passer with a high feel for the game, having averaged over four assists per game for Florida State while playing some point guard. The swing skill will be the jump shot. If Barnes makes shots, he’ll be a terrific starter with some all-star upside if things break right.

12. San Antonio Spurs
Alperen Sengun | 6-9 big | 19 years old, international | Beskitas
The player: Sengun won the Turkish League MVP after putting up one of the most productive teenage seasons in recent European basketball history. As our John Hollinger outlined a while ago, the numbers Sengun is putting up in Turkey are dominant and preposterous at the same time. He finished third in the league in scoring, fourth in rebounding, and second in blocks. As John pointed out, Sengun’s PER would be the highest of the decade, and his 30.3 PER leads the Turkish league. From a scouting perspective, he can finish inside, has a great nose for the basket and a great feel for getting separation. His hands are elite. The only problem comes on defense, where I’m a bit skeptical until he proves he can man up in space.

The fit: The Spurs have one of the best international scouting staffs in the NBA, so are familiar with Sengun even in this weird season of interrupted scouting overseas. From a roster perspective, the team’s bigs aren’t particularly adept offensively. Jakob Poeltl could use more of an offensive-minded partner inside from a matchup perspective, and Sengun’s hands, basketball IQ and finishing ability on the offensive end are about as big a departure from Poeltl as you’ll find.

13. Indiana Pacers
Davion Mitchell | 6-3 guard | 22 years old, junior | Baylor
The player: Mitchell was arguably the best two-way player in the country. He won the national Defensive Player of the Year award due to his toughness at the point of attack. He took on a variety of assignments too, from smaller guards all the way up to guys like Cade Cunningham. The key reason for his rise, though, came on offense, where Mitchell actualized the tools he has in terms of speed and quickness and became an extremely high-level table-setter as a passer. On top of that, he hit nearly 45 percent from 3. His game looks tailor-made and ready to play in the NBA. He’s one of the most competitive players in the draft, a tough dude who just keeps getting better every time we see him.

The fit: The Pacers are pretty set across the board positionally. If anything, maybe they could use a bit more shooting and a bit more offensive aggressiveness resulting in trips to the foul line. In any event, they can simply afford to take the guy that they think is the best available. For me, that’s Mitchell. He’d pair nicely in the backcourt with just about any player like Malcolm Brogdon, Caris LeVert or Jeremy Lamb. And he’d give them something a bit different than all of those guys.

14. Golden State Warriors
Usman Garuba | 6-8 big | 18 years old | Real Madrid
The player: Defense, defense, defense. Garuba is already one of the best defenders in Europe as a teenager and profiles as a potential All-Defense Team guy in the NBA by the time he’s 25. He can defend on the interior, with terrific fundamentals for verticality and weak-side shot blocking. His ability to slide his feet and drop his hips laterally is ridiculous, and his instincts as a pick-and-roll defender are terrific. The problems come on offense. He’s still not a particularly effective player on that end, but there have been signs of progress. He has been making more 3s recently, but it’s going to take some time. He can also pass the ball out of short rolls a bit, and he’s not totally afraid to put the ball on the deck.

The fit: The Warriors took James Wiseman last year, so this might seem a bit odd. But at the end of the day, I think they’ll just take the guy that they think fits their scheme best and who helps them most. To me, Garuba is a spectacular fit whose ability to read the game defensively would appeal to this Warriors team. I’m also looking pretty heavily at the Warriors possibly moving their pick here in a bigger deal, given how incredible Stephen Curry looked this year. If Klay Thompson comes back at anywhere near past Splash Brothers levels, they’re an immediate contender again. It also helps that they were able to fill a hole with the above pick with Bouknight, although again, don’t be surprised to see one of those picks moved.

15. Washington Wizards
Corey Kispert | 6-7 wing | 22 years old, senior | Gonzaga
The player: Arguably the best shooter in the class. Kispert shot 53 percent from the field and 44 percent from 3 this past season while averaging 19 points per game for the nearly undefeated Gonzaga Bulldogs. He’s going to shoot the hell out of the ball, and he’s going to make elite decisions. NBA sources have compared him very similarly to Joe Harris, who has led the league in 3-point percentage in two of the last three seasons. There are some questions on defense, as Kispert doesn’t have the quickest feet in the world. But he’s a confident kid who was the leader of Gonzaga’s team this season, an elite character kid who will keep working and should stick as a very high-level role player.

The fit: No team needs shooting more than the Wizards at this point. Really, the only two reliable guys they have on their roster heading into next season in that regard are Bradley Beal and Davis Bertans. They also just need further depth on the wing. This would be a home run for a team trying to compete as soon as next season, given that Kispert profiles as someone who should be able to come in and play immediately.

16. Oklahoma City Thunder (via BOS)
Kai Jones | 6-11 big | 19 years old, sophomore | Texas
The player: This is a home run swing. Jones is one of the more high-upside players you’ll find in the draft. Having just started playing competitive hoops in his mid-teens, Jones is still figuring things out in terms of defensive awareness and passing reads. But he’s a fascinating prospect because he has elite athleticism at 6-11. He moves his feet as fluidly as a wing and has explosive leaping ability as a shot blocker and dunker. He also has the kind of body control you look for in a shooter, with him having already showcased shooting potential and shot-making upside. He can legitimately attack closeouts and pull up from the midrange to shoot. He’ll pull out Euro steps and maneuvers around defenders with legitimate skill. He’s a project, but with patience, a team could get a lot out of him.

The fit: If there is any team on the board that can afford to take a high-upside swing that requires it to be patient, it’s the Thunder. They have one of the best developmental programs in the league and are more than willing to be patient when it comes to helping players reach their ceiling. Under coach Mark Daigneault, the team also plays an attractive brand of 5-out basketball that would fit Jones’ skill set well.

17. Memphis Grizzlies
Ziaire Williams | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Stanford
The player: A complicated evaluation. Williams had a tough year at Stanford, as the team lived out of hotels for the first six weeks of the season, then he left the team in the middle of the season due to a death in the family before returning for the final few games. On the court, he had some true highs, such as a triple-double against Washington. He also averaged 13 points, six rebounds and three assists prior to his month-long departure. Still, his inefficiency left a bad lasting impression in most evaluators’ eyes, and he struggled to deal with the physicality of the game at what looked to be about 175 pounds. Williams is a project, although one with major upside if the right team ends up with him.

The fit: The Grizzlies have taken a lot of older prospects under this front office, but the one thing they’re lacking on this roster is a true shot creator and shot maker with size. Jaren Jackson Jr. is better as a guy running off of screens. Dillon Brooks is the tough, fearless 3-and-D guy who can create and make shots, but Memphis is missing one guy to potentially slot him back into a role that makes a bit more sense than “primary wing shot maker.” Williams will take time, but if he hits, he can change some things for the Grizzlies.

18. Oklahoma City Thunder (via MIA)
Cam Thomas | 6-3 guard | 18 years old, freshman | LSU
The player: Arguably the most natural scorer in this draft class. Few teenagers have the kind of scoring instincts that Thomas does. He has this innate sense for how to get defenders off balance and has a ridiculous pull-up game that allows him to be constantly on balance himself. He was the fourth-leading scorer in college basketball as a teenager after all. That seems good, right? So where is the issue? Well, scoring is all he does. He’s a bad defender and plays fairly selfishly on offense to the point that I can see some friction developing between him and some older teammates at the next level.

The fit: One thing the Thunder don’t really have is a true microwave scoring guard outside of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander’s rare gifts. Thomas would give the Thunder a terrific bench guard who can go get buckets early in his career, while hopefully developing the other parts of his game in a way that makes sense.

19. New York Knicks
Isaiah Jackson | 6-10 center | 18 years old, freshman | Kentucky
The player: Jackson decided to stay in the 2021 NBA Draft after some thought, and it makes sense. He’s a likely top-20 pick due to his tools. He’s 6-10 with a 7-3 wingspan and all sorts of twitchy explosiveness. He is the prototypical run-and-jump, play-finishing, shot-swatting center prospect and has the athleticism to legitimately do it. He also had a monster close to the season, averaging 13 points, seven rebounds and two blocks over his final seven games. If things break right, he’ll be an effective defender who is low-usage as a gravity lob threat on offense.

The fit: The Knicks obviously have a track record of looking toward the Kentucky program for players, with Julius Randle, Immanuel Quickley, Nerlens Noel and Kevin Knox on the roster, plus John Calipari-coached Derrick Rose. In this case, drafting Jackson could give them some insurance if they decide not to pay Mitchell Robinson this summer and just pick up his fourth-year team option. Given the way their defense has operated with Noel in the middle after Robinson was injured, I don’t think I’d be beating down the door to pay Robinson more than $15 million per season. Drafting a center like Jackson could give them the kind of high upside that Robinson also presents while restarting the rookie contract timeline and keeping the salary cap sheet clean for other fits this summer and into the future.

20. Atlanta Hawks
Sharife Cooper | 6-1 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Auburn
The player: One look at Cooper’s numbers will tell you a lot. He averaged over 20 points and eight assists per game in an extremely high-usage role for Auburn after becoming eligible to play (the NCAA held him out for half the season while looking into amateurism concerns). Cooper’s ballhandling acumen is absurd as he keeps the ball close to the ground and tight to his body while creatively contorting his body, changing paces and adjusting directions. His live-dribble passing also is an extremely high-level skill. The intersection of those two skills should allow him to at least be a backup in the NBA. Where the upside will come is with his shooting and defense. He’s terrible at both right now. And he’s extremely small, making it highly unlikely that the defense is going to come along. For Cooper to reach his ceiling, it involves getting better as a shooter.

The fit: Cooper isn’t Trae Young, but there are some stylistic similarities in the way they handle the ball close to the ground and buzz in and out of the paint while throwing high-wire live-dribble passes. The Hawks could still use a long-term answer at backup point guard, given that Lou Williams is a free agent this summer. The team is loaded with options all over the frontcourt and wing. Travis Schlenk has built one of the deepest teams in the NBA. So they can afford to take a swing on filling the backup point guard spot cheaply with a player who will play a style that fits their offense.

21. New York Knicks (via DAL)
Jalen Johnson | 6-8 forward | 18 years old, freshman | Duke
The player: We’re in the part of the draft where there are some flawed but interesting prospects who have high upsides but low floors. Johnson is a tremendous ballhandler and transition player for his size at the four. His best skill, though, is his passing ability. He’s very creative in how he sees over the defense, and he makes a lot of tough reads.

The problem is that he’s not a particularly adept half-court scoring threat. Teams will just play the pass against him because he doesn’t shoot it confidently yet and doesn’t have an in-between floater game yet. If he ever shoots it, though, he has a good shot to turn into a real starter.

Johnson left Duke early this year and teams are all over the board with him. His draft range is pretty wide, and it wouldn’t be a stunner to hear his name called anywhere from lottery to late first round.

The fit: The Knicks had a ton of success this year with a big playmaker in Julius Randle, with him initiating from the high post and passing to teammates. He also was good at grabbing and going off the glass and creating offense quickly. Johnson, if he hits his ceiling as a scorer, could play a pretty similar role. This would be a nice fit for Johnson on the court given that the team that takes him will need to have a plan for spacing the floor around him. The Knicks figured that out with Randle this year, and with Randle entering free agency, it’d be nice to have a schematic replacement developing in the pipeline.

22. Los Angeles Lakers
Chris Duarte | 6-6 guard | 23 years old, senior | Oregon
The player: Some evaluators have docked Duarte for his age, as he’d be the oldest prospect in the first round. But I think his game is so tailor-made for the NBA that he’s not going to have any problem making an immediate impact. He’s an All-Defense member in the Pac-12 and a genuine playmaker with how disruptive his hands are in the backcourt with length at 6-6. And on offense, he’s a legit 40-plus percent 3-point shooter who also can handle the ball and make comfortable decisions. Duarte has high-level role player written all over him. He chose to sit out the 2021 NBA Draft Combine, leading some teams to speculate that he has a promise from someone.

The fit: My mocking him here is not a report that the Lakers promised Duarte. It’s unclear if said promise exists currently. But the Lakers are about as perfect a team to project in this regard as could be possible. They value shooting around Anthony Davis and LeBron James. More than that, they will value the ability to get an older guy in who could reasonably step into a role sooner rather than later for LeBron. Duarte is a perfect fit here. I kind of hope the Lakers did promise him.

23. Houston Rockets (via POR)
Trey Murphy | 6-8 wing | 20 years old, junior | Virginia
The player: Just a tailor-made 3-and-D fit for today’s NBA. Murphy hit 43,3 percent from 3 and 92.7 percent from the foul line this year at 6-foot-9. He has extremely clean mechanics that project exceedingly well toward success at the next level. But more than that, he’s also a strong defender who moves his feet well and can slide to cut off penetration from opposing drivers. He’s switchable onto perimeter players right now, and as he keeps getting stronger — he’s a late bloomer physically who was 5-foot-8 as a freshman in high school — he has some potential to slide up the lineup defensively. He’s a name that I’ve heard a lot of enthusiasm about from teams as we near the draft.

The fit: The Rockets are in a bit of a different place than many rebuilding teams. This is really Year 0.5 of their rebuild, not the first year. Plus, they have a first-year coach who has dealt with a ton of roster turnover. Because of that they haven’t even gotten the chance to establish an identity in regard to what the future is going to be. Murphy is the kind of elite shooter who would help high-upside players develop.

24. Houston Rockets (via MIL)
Tre Mann | 6-5 guard | 19 years old, sophomore | Florida
The player: Mann is a pull-up shooting savant with terrific playmaking ability. He can separate from defenders by changing gears with ease, utilizing impressive deceleration mixed with quick crossovers to get to his stepback. He hit 40.2 percent from 3 and averaged 16 points per game, with most of his shots coming out of such pull-ups. He also has a very impressive floater game that allows him to get into the teeth of a defense and be a threat. He’s also improved as a passer this year at 6-foot-5 but has a ways to go in terms of his defensive acumen and reading complex help defenses. Still, there is some scoring upside.

The fit: The Rockets should be looking for high-upside swings in the backcourt. Mann has a shot to be pretty useful given how essential the pull-up game has become in today’s league. Houston is also starting from basically zero in terms of roster, as mentioned above. They can use everything. Just take the best guy.

25. LA Clippers
Jaden Springer | 6-4 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Tennessee
The player: Springer had a strong freshman season for the Vols. His advanced numbers and analytics are quite strong for his age. And similarly to Johnson above, Springer was tremendous late in the season. He averaged 16 points, four rebounds and three assists in his final 11 games, finally getting a chance to show off why he was a five-star prospect. He’s also a terrific defender. Having said that, I’ve found that Springer’s game isn’t loved by many scouts. He plays almost solely off two feet and doesn’t seem to get the most out of his athleticism. There’s a degree of bully-ball here. He’s going to have to adjust his game to have success at the next level.

The fit: The Clippers love toughness, and Springer does bring that in how competitively he plays, especially on the defensive end. After taking centers often in the last couple of drafts, Los Angeles will be looking for a bit more perimeter help. Springer won’t necessarily be able to step in and help immediately, given the adjustments he needs to make and the improvement he needs as a shooter. But I do like him as a nice potential complement to Paul George and Kawhi Leonard if he can continue along his trajectory defensively.

26. Denver Nuggets
Greg Brown | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Texas
The player: Brown is all over the place for NBA teams. On one hand, he’s one of the most explosive athletes in the class, a genuinely elite explosiveness guy as a leaper who can sky as a dunker and weak-side shot blocker. He showed some flashes as a shooter. If the right team can develop his game, he has the upside of a starter. Or at the very least, as a useful rotation player as an energetic backup center. Look at how guys like John Collins, Blake Griffin and Marcus Morris have had success playing bigger in the playoffs. It’s valuable if you can find the right guy. Brown’s athleticism gives him a shot to be that guy if he can get stronger and shoot it.

The fit: The idea would be to take a flier on someone who can eventually play in a frontcourt with Michael Porter Jr. and Nikola Jokic. Brown is a strong fit if his game comes together, and the Nuggets have a history of trusting their developmental staff to improve players and set them up for success. It’ll take Brown a year or two, but the Nuggets have proven patient, and he’s such a strong fit if it works that I’d love to see him end up here.

27. Brooklyn Nets
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl | 6-10 forward | 20 years old, sophomore | Villanova
The player: Robinson-Earl is about as well-rounded a forward as you’ll find. He’s smart positionally on defense, he passes well, he’s mobile enough and he has real potential to shoot it (and already is from the midrange). The Big East Player of the Year this past season, Robinson-Earl is one of those guys I trust will figure it out at the next level despite not necessarily having a traditional game for where the NBA is going. He’s sharp, he knows where he needs to be all the time, he rebounds and he makes good choices. Maybe it’s more of a rotation player than a star, but there is plenty of space for those guys around the league. And similarly to Brown above him, we’ve seen a lot of undersized bigs like Blake Griffin and Marcus Morris have some success in these playoffs due to having a perimeter game and the strength to defend post-ups.

The fit: The Nets should be trying to find smart role players to pair with their trio of superstars in Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and James Harden. I’m a fan of Robinson-Earl, and he should also not have an issue playing early. The track record of success here from Villanova guys is high because they come in ready to switch defensively, make high-level reads and process the game quickly. Robinson-Earl does all of that at a high level and has potential to shoot from the frontcourt.

28. Philadelphia 76ers
Miles McBride | 6-2 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | West Virginia
The player: McBride is one of my favorites in this class. He’s lightning quick laterally and is elite at the point of attack defensively. His game is all about pressure. He attacks the opposing ballhandler, then attacks when he has the ball on offense. When West Virginia switched to more of a four-out offense in the second half of the year, McBride thrived and looked like a potential high-level backup. He could become a starter if his jumper off the bounce continues to come along.

McBride was as decorated a college player as you’ll find this past season, a first-team All-American who has worked his way into a genuine draft prospect over the last two years. He’s a 6-3 scoring guard who can knock down shots from the outside, both directly off the catch and off the pull-up. He averaged nearly 17 points per game while shooting almost 42 percent from 3 and taking tough shots too. Plus, he was All-Defense in the Big 12 and generally does a good job of playing within scheme and locking down opposing players.

The fit: The 76ers continue to need more shooting around Joel Embiid, whether Ben Simmons is there or not. GM Daryl Morey, of all people, will certainly continue to value perimeter scoring. McBride is a terrific defender and playmaker who can make an impact early off the bench. He also hit over 40 percent from 3 this year.

29. Phoenix Suns
Day’Ron Sharpe | 6-11 center | 19 years old, freshman | North Carolina
The player: Sharpe is a weird center prospect whose best skills are his rebounding and his passing. A 6-11 center, Sharpe made some of the best, most creative passes I saw from any prospect on the move this past season. He clearly processes the game well and seems to understand spatially where his teammates are. He’s a big-bodied guy and a bit heavy-footed, so there are defensive concerns. But his brand of toughness on the inside and passing is a fun combination.

The fit: The Suns have a real need at backup center behind Deandre Ayton. They’ve mostly run smaller lineups off the bench with Dario Saric playing the 5 or wings across the frontcourt. Sharpe would give them a young big man to develop behind Ayton, which is a luxury they can afford to undertake given how deep the team is in the backcourt and on the wing.

30. Utah Jazz
Ayo Dosunmu | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Illinois
The player: Dosunmu was one of the best players in college basketball this past season, posting 20 points, six rebounds and five assists while leading Illinois to a terrific season. Simply put, he’s pro-ready and should be able to make an impact early due to his athleticism, vision, defensive ability, length and poise. Having said that, I can tell you there are scouts who are not enamored with him because of his jumper. He hit 39 percent this past season on under 100 attempts, and over the course of his career, he’s hit 34.5 percent of his 300-plus 3-point attempts. It’s a bit of a wonky shot mechanically that scouts worry about in terms of consistency. Teams also aren’t sure if he’s a lead guard or an off-guard from a vision and play-making perspective. But he’s also considered a leader and a high-character kid, so there is some faith he’ll keep improving.

The fit: The Jazz’s defense struggled in the playoffs in part because of a lack of foot speed. It’s not Rudy Gobert, even though he got the blame. Guys like Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles and Georges Niang are smart and solid within the scheme, but once the opponent breaks that — which always happens in the playoffs at some point — the Jazz don’t have many great scramble defenders who can recover everywhere. Royce O’Neale, Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley are good, though they could use another strong on-ball defender who has athleticism and can fly around the court. Throw in that Dosunmu is ready to be a part of an NBA rotation now, and it’s a solid plan for the Jazz if he gets here.

Round 2
31. Milwaukee (via HOU): Jared Butler | 6-3 guard | 21 years old, junior | Baylor

32. New York (via DET): Herbert Jones | 6-7 wing |22 years old, senior | Alabama

33. Orlando: Josh Christopher | 6-4 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Arizona State

34. New Orleans (via CLE): Brandon Boston Jr. | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky

35. Oklahoma City: Roko Prkacin | 6-9 forward | 18 years old | Cibona

36. Oklahoma City (via MIN): Joshua Primo | 6-5 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Alabama

37. Detroit (via TOR): Bones Hyland | 6-3 guard | 20 years old | VCU

38. Chicago (via NO): Marcus Bagley | 6-8 wing | 19 years old, senior | Arizona State

39. Sacramento: Kessler Edwards | 6-8 wing | 20 years old, junior | Pepperdine

40. New Orleans (via CHI): Terrence Shannon Jr. | 6-5 wing | 20 years old, sophomore | Texas Tech

41. San Antonio: Rokas Jokubaitis | 6-4 lead guard | 20 years old | Zalgiris

42. Detroit (via CHA): Joel Ayayi | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Gonzaga

43. New Orleans (via WAS): Filip Petrusev | 7-0 center | 21 years old | Mega

44. Brooklyn (via IND): Aaron Henry | 6-5 wing | 21 years old, junior | Michigan State

45. Boston: Austin Reaves | 6-5 guard | 23 years old, senior | Oklahoma

46. Toronto (via MEM): Luka Garza | 6-11 center | 22 years old, senior | Iowa

47. Toronto (via GSW): Charles Bassey | 6-10 center | 20 years old, junior | Western Kentucky

48. Atlanta (via MIA): David Johnson | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Louisville

49. Brooklyn (via ATL): Sandro Mamukelashvili | 6-11 big | 22 years old, senior | Seton Hall

50. Philadelphia (via NYK): Carlos Alocen | 6-5 guard | 20 years old | Real Madrid

51. Memphis (via POR): JT Thor | 6-10 forward | 19 years old | Auburn

52. Detroit (via LAL): Isaiah Todd | 6-10 big | 19 years old | G League Ignite

53. New Orleans (via DAL): Joe Wieskamp | 6-7 wing | 21 years old, junior | Iowa

54. Indiana (via MIL): David Duke | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Providence

55. Oklahoma City (via DEN): Neemias Queta | 7-0 center | 21 years old, junior | Utah State

56. Charlotte (via LAC): Moses Wright | 6-9 big | 22 years old, senior | Georgia Tech

57. Charlotte (via BKN): Daishen Nix | 6-5 guard | 18 years old | G League Ignite

58. New York (via PHI): Matthew Hurt | 6-9 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Duke

59. Brooklyn (via PHX): RaiQuan Gray | 6-8 forward | 21 years old, junior | Florida State

60. Indiana (via UTA): Quentin Grimes | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Houston

The fit: The Thunder love these multi-positional, athletic, intelligent players with great character and a high-level feel for the game. Don’t sleep on the fact that he’d be a tremendous pairing with burgeoning prospect Aleksej Pokusevski. The latter can be the floater who uses his tremendous defensive instincts off the ball to pair with the strength and switchability that Barnes presents at the four. On top of that, pairing their passing ability in the frontcourt would lead to a strong, ball movement-heavy attack from the kind of five-out situation that coach Mark Daigneault has been a fan of running. This would be one of my favorite fits in the draft.

We sure Suggs won't get a look at #2?
I’d hate it the most among all of the guys projected.

He and Mobley have the toughest path to being an absolute gamechanger . Their physical profiles and games are solid all around but don’t scream star potential.

If the rockets draft based of fit with the worse record in the league .:lol:

First real game for him in a year and a half. Only had 4 days of practice due to quarantine he looked solid despite getting gassed after 4 minute spurts and being bodied by ricardo ratliffe. Listed at 7’4 now which is too tall considering he already has long legs.

Seems like people aren’t too high on Mobley

I believe he could be a 4 in time if it comes to it and could be an all star. He’s one of those big men you can roll the dice on if you have a top 3 pick

Back
Top Bottom