2025 NBA Draft Thread

Watched that whole game live and he was absolutely pathetic in the first half. Like beyond bad. He was like 0/7, no assists, piss poor effort on defense. 2nd half he just completely dropped his nuts. and scored at will. They were still ALOT of bad shots. He's just really good at making them. Has good range and good mechanics.

One thing to keep an eye on: He's most effective when the defender is much smaller. Guys close to his size give him issues. He didn't quite hit the KD-esque length. He's like 6'9 with a 6'9 wingspan.

According to league sources, Golden State’s front office is split on Mitchell. Some scouts and executives view him as a ready-made contributor with a chance to become a franchise cornerstone. Others figure Mitchell, who turns 23 on Sept. 5, doesn’t have enough upside to warrant a top-10 selection.

To ensure he’d make his flight, Mitchell participated in a battery of drills and exercises on his own at 2 p.m. Thursday before Arkansas’ Moses Moody, Texas’ Kai Jones and Duke’s Jalen Johnson — all projected lottery picks — worked out at 3 o’clock. This allowed the Warriors’ decision-makers to concentrate exclusively on Mitchell as they try to answer some pressing questions.

Perhaps Golden State would be better off trading their two lottery picks altogether. According to a league source, the Warriors’ “Plan A” is to package the Nos. 7 and 14 selections for a starting-caliber player in his prime.

Last edited:
I wonder who killed the Warriors dinner meeting after James Wiseman did so well in talking to middle aged white dudes

Screenshot_20210715-212823.jpg

2021 NBA Draft Two-Round Mock: Zach Harper sees Rockets torn between Jalens at No. 2

We’re less than two weeks until the 2021 NBA Draft, and things are starting to get spicy with draft conjecture. We have teams trying to trade up or trade down or trade out. We have players canceling workouts in certain areas of the draft. Do they have a promise from a team? Do they not have a promise? How much did the Klutch Pro Day affect draft prospects?

It’s time to update my Mock Draft. We’re going heavy on the trade talk at the top with the latest rumors, and we’ll add the second round of the draft to the mix, as well. As always, mock drafts are supposed to be fun, so let’s have some fun with this. These are some of the best fits and some semi-educated guesses on what will happen on draft night.

1. Detroit Pistons – Cade Cunningham, G/F, Oklahoma State, 19 years old
Sticking with Cunningham here, but I think it’s worth exploring the idea of the Pistons considering a trade with Houston. As I said in last week’s mock draft, the Rockets have been infatuated with the Oklahoma State product. Missing out on him by “only” getting the No. 2 overall pick in the draft was a big blow to their dreams. As The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported earlier this week, they’re trying to get aggressive in talking to Detroit about a potential trade. What would it take for the Pistons to relinquish the top pick?

Houston owns a lot of draft picks over the next few years thanks to the James Harden trade, but they don’t really have a blue chipper they can offer up right now. The second pick in the draft would be the starting point, and then probably a few of their own draft picks and some of the potential picks/pick swaps with Brooklyn in the future. Maybe we throw in Kevin Porter Jr. as a cheap, young player on the roster. Considering Detroit passed on keeping Christian Wood, I’d assume he’s not the guy the Pistons want back in a deal. You can construct a trade that takes away a lot of the draft capital in the future for Houston, but I still don’t think it motivates Detroit to get a deal done.

My next question after this: if the Pistons are willing to consider a trade with Houston, then what does that mean for the rest of the league in opening up their chances at making an offer? Detroit would open the floodgates, but I don’t know if anything will energize the fan base like the idea of Cunningham there for a decade-plus.

Do you expect a trade here? I do not. Cade will be a Piston.

2. Houston Rockets – Jalen Green, G, G League, 19 years old
Will the Houston Rockets trade out if they can’t find their way to the No. 1 pick, or are the prospects of Jalen Green enough to satiate them? As I mentioned last week, there’s quite a bit of confusion about whether or not the Rockets will keep this pick. There’s a lot leaking out about them over the last week, but we don’t know how much is talk and how much is real. Let’s assume they can’t make that coveted deal for the top pick to grab Cunningham. What’s next for them? Plenty of teams (Orlando, OKC, maybe Golden State?) could get motivated to move up in the draft to a position of power.

Do we think the Rockets are settled at No. 2 just in case they don’t move it? League sources have said Houston is heavily leaning toward Jalen Green there, but there are people within the Rockets’ decision-making process pushing for Jalen Suggs out of Gonzaga. Green’s potential as a star wing in this league has the Rockets’ focus, but the idea of Suggs grabbing the momentum at some point exists. Scouts and executives love his size at the point guard position, and believe he can be the leader of a young, rebuilding team.

Do you expect a trade here? I’d put it at about 75-25 that the Rockets keep this pick. I don’t think they’re married to a selection here, but they’re certainly engaged and planning the wedding.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers – Evan Mobley, C, USC, 20 years old
Would a Collin Sexton trade change anything here for the Cleveland Cavaliers? We’ve got some trade rumors ahead of Sexton’s contract extension negotiations. Until Kevin Love’s deal is off the books (or on someone else’s books), committing big money to Sexton, especially after the way he played last year, might not be the way they want to pack their payroll. If they can grab extra picks in the process, league sources say that’s something the Cavs are interested in doing. Maybe that means Sexton to the Knicks for their picks at No. 19 and No. 21 with some kind of framework happening there?

Let’s say the Cavs do move Sexton for the draft, regardless of where he goes. Should that change their position at No. 3? Some believe Evan Mobley is the second best player in this draft, and Houston’s not taking him because they don’t like the pairing with Christian Wood. But for the Cavs, moving Sexton out of the backcourt could potentially open up a pairing of Suggs and Darius Garland. Suggs has better size than Sexton, so playing alongside Garland doesn’t hurt their defense as much. It might unlock some catch-and-shoot options for Garland, too. Most likely, though, Mobley is the guy and they figure out what to do with Jarrett Allen’s restricted free agency.

Do you expect a trade here? I do, but not with this pick, necessarily. The Cavs are probably locked in on Mobley at No. 3. Acquiring extra picks in this draft would be ideal for them, and it probably doesn’t happen by trading down. The obvious move to make them a playoff team right now doesn’t seem to be there.

4. Toronto Raptors – Jalen Suggs, G, Gonzaga, 20 years old
No change here this week at 4. With Cunningham, Green, and Mobley off the board, Jalen Suggs becomes the obvious choice for the Toronto Raptors, if they keep the pick.

Previous analysis: Green going higher in this mock leaves Jalen Suggs as the best player available at this point. He would also be a great pick for the Raptors to end up with after receiving some lottery magic in their favor. Suggs is a natural leader on the court, and there isn’t a lot he can’t do well. His feel for the game is tremendous, and I would expect him to have a positive impact on a team right away.

Suggs to the Raptors gives them a lot of flexibility. The pressure to bring back Kyle Lowry in free agency is no longer there. With your next backcourt including Suggs and Fred VanVleet, it might make more sense for the Raptors to work out a sign-and-trade with Lowry and try to bring back some picks or a trade exception to use later. Maybe you get a nice role player in the mix? You can move forward with a core of Suggs, VanVleet, Pascal Siakam, Chris Boucher and OG Anunoby. A healthy, calmer season for the Raptors should see that core back in the playoffs, and it gives them their lead guard for the next 15 years.

Do you expect a trade here? We still don’t know general manager Masai Ujiri’s future, but my guess is the Raptors keep the pick at No. 4, take Suggs, and then figure out how to retool the roster, rather than tear it down and build it back up. The bones of this foundation are still very encouraging.

5. Orlando Magic – Scottie Barnes, F, Florida State, 19 years old
Should the Orlando Magic try to move up to a top-4 pick? If they stay at No. 5, the Magic will be deciding between Scottie Barnes and Jonathan Kuminga. Barnes is probably the safer pick, and an All-Defensive Team regular for a decade or more. Kuminga has a much higher ceiling, but a lower floor. His athleticism is off the charts. The skill set to create shots is improving to very encouraging levels. However some executives and scouts are still concerned about whether or not he can make the shots he’ll end up creating. Barnes is a great defender, and a pretty good playmaker at the wing. He just can’t shoot.

If those two are question marks and the Magic have picks at No. 5 and No. 8 to dangle, then would Cleveland or Toronto consider dropping down to No. 5 and No. 8 in exchange for their top 4 pick? If Orlando moved up to 3, then Mobley being their big man of the future with Mo Bamba on the way out makes sense. If they convinced Toronto to move down, it would be a move to grab Suggs at No. 4. Why do that with Cole Anthony, Markelle Fultz, and R.J. Hampton on the roster already? Because Suggs will be better than those guys and can be the point guard this franchise hasn’t had since Anfernee Hardaway.

Do you expect a trade here? The Magic should be locked in with the fifth pick, although there’s always the chance they want to get someone like Suggs or Mobley.

6. Oklahoma City Thunder – Jonathan Kuminga, G/F, G League Ignite, 18 years old
Should the Oklahoma City Thunder try to move up to a top 4 pick? How great of a backcourt pairing would Suggs and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander be? Or maybe Sam Presti has his eyes on Mobley as the big man of the future for the Thunder, which would be smart considering his potential and their lack of interior size. Toronto moving down to No. 6 just to grab a couple extra picks in the middle of the first round or maybe a future pick or two doesn’t make as much sense as a potential trade. But the Cavs wanting more first-round picks, dropping down to No. 6 to grab whoever is left between Barnes and Kuminga, and then having No. 16 and No. 18 in this draft would satiate their desire for more picks.

If that’s the case, the Thunder can certainly make the trade work. The Thunder have the draft assets and future trade pieces to create just about any deal, but they wouldn’t overpay in order to move up to No. 3. The possibilities of SGA and Suggs or SGA and Mobley are tantalizing. If no move is there to be had, the Thunder grabbing Kuminga with Barnes off the board is probably their best-case scenario for getting a guy to develop.

Do you expect a trade here? It’s the Thunder. They have three first-round picks and three second-round picks in this draft. Sam Presti is always looking to make a trade.

7. Golden State Warriors (via Minnesota) – James Bouknight, G, Connecticut, 20 years old
Previous pick: Keon Johnson

The Golden State Warriors are all over the place trying to peg down what their target at No. 7 might be. Josh Giddey, Keon Johnson, Davion Mitchell, James Bouknight, Moses Moody and even Franz Wagner all appear to be real possibilities here. I’m going with Bouknight right now for a couple reasons. We saw the Warriors really struggle to score without Stephen Curry on the court this season. With Klay Thompson coming back, you hope the All-Star will be back to full strength, but he’ll probably be in and out of the lineup quite often.

If you believe in Jordan Poole as the guy ready to step in, then great. But the Warriors should have a contingency plan, and Bouknight is a good option for that plan. He can really score the ball, and he’s a good enough free throw shooter to believe that jumper will come around. He can be instant offense off the bench, and he’d play very well paired with Curry in the backcourt. If you want a guy with scoring punch, he’s probably the best available.

Do you expect a trade here? I still think we have to be aware of the Warriors’ aggressive approach to finding more stars. With No. 7, No. 14 and even James Wiseman, they have a great trade package to throw at someone if they believe they can grab another star next to their champions. I’m not convinced the Warriors keep these picks.

8. Orlando Magic (via Chicago) – Keon Johnson, G, Tennessee, 19 years old
Previous pick: Davion Mitchell

I firmly believe if Keon Johnson is available for the Magic at No. 8, and they keep the pick, then he’s going to be the guy for them. In this mock draft scenario, the Magic end up with Scottie Barnes and Keon Johnson with their two first-round picks. That’s an extremely exciting draft for Orlando fans to get around. I know they just went through the frustration of a super athlete who needs work on his offensive game to come around with Aaron Gordon. But Barnes and Johnson are much different players.

Johnson can work as a guy initiating pick-and-roll because he’s so quick turning the corner. He needs to improve his shot and dribbling a bit, but we’re not talking massive improvements here. He just needs to tighten some things up. Between Johnson, Barnes and Jonathan Isaac, I don’t know if anybody will be able to score on the perimeter against the Magic in the future.

Do you expect a trade here? If the Magic don’t package No. 5 and No. 8 together, would moving down from No. 8 for multiple first-round picks in this draft make sense? Houston, New York, and OKC all have multiple picks remaining. The Knicks could be motivated to move way up to grab someone.

9. Sacramento Kings – Kai Jones, C, Texas, 20 years old
Still no change. I think the Kings would be fools not to grab Kai Jones at No. 9 with it being a position of need. He impressed a lot of people at his Klutch Pro Day, as well.

Previous analysis: This is probably too high for Jones, and he’s more likely to be somewhere near the end of the lottery, but I think he’s exactly what the Sacramento Kings need. He’s top 10 on my big board, and he fills a position the Kings have struggled to fill consistently, all the way back to selecting Willie Cauley-Stein in 2015. Jones can anchor a good defensive unit for extended stretches. He’s basically Bam Adebayo in terms of his versatility and effectiveness on that end.

Offensively, he’s a guy who should be able to stretch the floor some and wreck the rim when he’s around it. He was surprisingly bad as a pick-and-roll big man this past season, turning the ball over a lot. Jones doesn’t have the best hands, so that’s where a lot of the fumbles happen for him. When he has the ball, he has the ability to drive right to the basket, but there isn’t an array of moves from him. It will be a lot of attacking a closeout defender. With Richaun Holmes hitting free agency, the Kings need a new big man.

Do you expect a trade here? Monte McNair will likely be pretty active in the trade market, but not too many teams are going to be dying to grab Buddy Hield on draft night. They aren’t moving De’Aaron Fox or Tyrese Haliburton. I think they’ll lock into picking at 9.

10. New Orleans Pelicans – Franz Wagner, F, Michigan, 19 years old
Previous pick: Josh Giddey

If the New Orleans Pelicans keep the pick at No. 10, what about grabbing Franz Wagner? There’s some buzz about him being a top 10 pick, and one of the more highly coveted prospects in the draft. He’s a smart defender who plays hellish off-ball defense. On offense, he’s a guy many believe will be a good outside shooter at the NBA level. His 3-point shooting wasn’t very good in college, but he’s a very good free throw shooter, so that shot should probably be on its way.

For the Pelicans, he would fit a need on both ends of the floor. They need guys who can play both ends and they need guys who don’t necessarily need the ball to contribute. With Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram on the floor, movement without the ball, relocation, and smart cuts will be their best friends. Wagner should be able to do that, but it still all rests on how locked in Zion becomes on defense at some point.

Do you expect a trade here? I expect David Griffin to be aggressive in moving this pick, but he won’t make a deal just to make one. He’s fine stockpiling more young guys but the Pelicans do want to add someone to help get them to the postseason as soon as possible.

11. Charlotte Hornets – Moses Moody, G/F, Arkansas, 19 years old
Previous pick: James Bouknight

With Bouknight off the board, I could see Corey Kispert being a guy the Charlotte Hornets flock to, but I’m going to go with Moses Moody here. He’s a perfect 3-and-D wing at the NBA level, and him moving up toward a top 10 selection shouldn’t shock anybody. It’s just hard to peg down how much progress he can make up the draft boards in these workouts at this point. He projects all over the lottery, but Charlotte would be a great spot for him.

LaMelo Ball will deliver him the rock. He can play alongside guys like Miles Bridges and PJ Washington with ease. He gives them a defender at the point of attack. The Hornets were one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA, and they don’t currently have a lot of size on the roster. Moody is a good rebounder for the position, and he can help them improve on that glaring issue.

Do you expect a trade here? Mitch Kupchak was very aggressive in his first draft with the team, but he hasn’t made a big draft-day trade since. They’ve been accumulating good, young talent, and I think the Hornets are unlikely to trade out of this pick.

12. San Antonio Spurs – Jalen Johnson, F, Duke, 19 years old
I still love Jalen Johnson to the Spurs here at No. 12, if he’s available. Although would Josh Giddey being on the board still give the Spurs a tough choice for a future wing?

Previous analysis: I’m not buying the 3-point shooting of Johnson off 18 attempts in his truncated freshman season at Duke. I’m especially not buying it when he shot 63.2 percent from deep. What I am buying is him bringing everything else he does on a court to San Antonio, and then the Spurs handing his shooting mechanics over to coach Chip Engelland. That feels like a match made in heaven for both sides. He has good size as a modern forward and is a really good playmaker for that position.

There are things to worry about with Johnson, but I’m not sure how many of them would be exposed in a competent organization. We know the Spurs will approach things the right way on both ends of the floor, and that should limit his limitations. They could end up with a young core that has Lonnie Walker IV, Dejounte Murray and Johnson in the mix. That’s a lot of athleticism and explosiveness. He would be a great eventual replacement for Rudy Gay at forward.

Do you expect a trade here? While it seems unlikely the Spurs would move their pick, keep an eye on them being active with the trade machine around the draft. The Spurs have to figure out where they want to be as a franchise and what their plan is moving forward. They’re kind of stuck in the middle right now. Murray and Derrick White could both be gettable, according to league sources.

13. Indiana Pacers – Davion Mitchell, G, Baylor, 22 years old
Previous pick: Franz Wagner

With Franz Wagner off the board and TJ McConnell hitting free agency this summer, Davion Mitchell falling to the Indiana Pacers at No. 13 would be a pretty big win for them. Some questions about his shot exist, but he’s a hard-nosed guard who can play both positions in the backcourt. You could have him lead the offense with Malcolm Brogdon on the bench, or you can play him next to Brogdon and have two strong lead guards.

Mitchell gives them some much needed defense at the point of attack. Aaron Holiday could hit restricted free agency in 2022, so it takes pressure off finding a deal for him or matching an offer sheet. Mitchell fits in with Rick Carlisle, who likes tough point guards who can take being coached. He’s hard on point guards, but it can really help them too. Mitchell is built for it.

Do you expect a trade here? Kevin Pritchard hasn’t really done draft-day picks with his first-rounders. The only time the Pacers parted with their first-rounder in recent memory was sending it to Milwaukee in the Malcolm Brogdon sign-and-trade. The Pacers are likely to keep this pick.

14. Golden State Warriors – Ziaire Williams, G/F, Stanford, 19 years old
Previous pick: Moses Moody

Another wing for the Warriors in this draft. After taking Bouknight at No. 7, it makes sense here. Kelly Oubre Jr. wants $20 million per season in free agency this coming offseason. Same. So instead of investing $50 million-plus per season between him and Andrew Wiggins, Bob Myers and company can start stockpiling smart wings, who can quickly learn how to play next to the Splash Brothers. Ziaire Williams is exactly that.

Williams was horrible at making shots at Stanford, but the ability to create them is there. Have the Warriors development staff work on his shooting (solid enough free throw percentage to be encouraged), and you’ve now added a long creator to the wing position. Warriors could try to add some big man depth here, as well, but Williams has lottery potential.

Do you expect a trade here? As I mentioned above, I think the Warriors are in a great place to try to move one or both of their picks in a much bigger deal for a veteran. One thing to note here: The Warriors are unlikely to go after a big man in this draft if they keep both picks. They’ll be hoping to grab someone like Bobby Portis in free agency this summer.

15. Washington Wizards – Corey Kispert, G, Gonzaga, 22 years old
Previous pick: Isaiah Jackson

I had a big man going to the Washington Wizards at this point in the draft in the previous mocks. But I’m going to switch gears a bit here. Corey Kispert is a guy who fared pretty well at the pre-draft combine, and it gave plenty of executives and scouts confidence that he’ll be mobile enough at the NBA level. We know he can shoot the lights out, and his shot-making all over the floor is going to translate to the NBA. The Joe Harris comparisons are there for the shooting and, of course, for the beard, too.

The question outside of him defensively is whether or not he can move the ball consistently when opponents sell out to stop him from shooting a jumper. Will he attack, move the ball and relocate if there’s a better shot for him to find? If he does that, he becomes an almost impossible cover as a role player stretching the floor. Great weapon to have with this Bradley Beal and Russell Westbrook backcourt.

Do you expect a trade here? I can’t imagine the Wizards are looking to move their first-round picks, just in case the Bradley Beal situation gets dire at any point. Tommy Sheppard won’t be shortsighted in moving a young player now to get a veteran unless it’s a no-brainer.

16. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Boston) – Josh Giddey, G/F, Australia, 18 years old
Previous pick: Corey Kispert

At this point, Josh Giddey has fallen too far in the draft not to be taken by the Thunder here. Giddey has great potential as a wing who can create for others. He can score a little bit, but his shooting is pretty brutal at this point. Giddey is definitely a project, who has been projected anywhere from seventh in the draft, all the way down to the late teens. Going to OKC here is perfect for him because he’ll have plenty of time to develop with a team happy to take it slow.

What the Thunder have done with Lu Dort’s offensive game is pretty encouraging for figuring out how to unlock Giddey. What they can do with Darius Bazley and Aleksej Pokusevski will likely inform just how quickly Giddey’s development comes around in this program.

Do you expect a trade here? Sam Presti is always looking to move picks or acquire picks, so yes, I think a trade is possible.

17. Memphis Grizzlies – Chris Duarte, G, Oregon, 24 years old
I’m still all in with Chris Duarte as the fit for Memphis at 17.

Previous analysis: The Memphis Grizzlies aren’t a poor shooting team, but they don’t have the profile of a great shooting team. Chris Duarte can help change that. Sure, he’s already 24 years old, and that can be a red flag for draft prospects. You don’t typically want to draft someone who is less than a year from being able to rent a car. Except Duarte is a great shooter and a smart option for the Grizzlies. He had a 60 percent effective field goal percentage on all jump shots last season. It’s a big turnaround from the previous year at Oregon, but his shot mechanics are legit.

The question for him revolves around what else he’ll bring. Can he keep defenses honest in the pick-and-roll with playmaking, or will they know he’s always looking to score? Say he’s able to defend within the team concept. Will he get hunted and cooked in isolation? Regardless, having this guy around to spread the floor and force hesitant decisions by help defenders will make life a lot easier for Ja Morant and company.

Do you expect a trade here? The Grizzlies have not sped up their timeline once in the last couple of years since they started realizing they’re a competitive team and not tanking. I don’t expect a trade here, unless it’s moving up or down a couple of spots with future second-round picks involved.

18. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Miami) – Usman Garuba, F, Spain, 19 years old
I still like the idea of Usman Garuba here, although some scouts believe he might make the back end of the lottery.

Previous analysis: Garuba is one of the best defensive prospects in the draft, and he’s someone the Thunder could use to start protecting that end of the floor. He’s somewhere in the 6-foot-9 range, but his wingspan is believed to be around 7-foot-3. He can cover ground, and he can eat up space.

Offensively, he’s going to be super raw, but that’s just fine for the Thunder. They can shuttle him between the big squad and the G League. They can throw him into the program and see what comes out of him in the next two years as he hits legal drinking age and starts showing everything he can do. Maybe some are thinking another Serge Ibaka for the Thunder, but his offensive game is far less refined. Defensively though, he might end up being more versatile.

Do you expect a trade here? Is Sam Presti still running the team?

19. New York Knicks – Isaiah Jackson, C, Kentucky, 19 years old
Previous pick: Jared Butler

Isaiah Jackson falls a bit from the previous mock drafts, but I like the idea of him giving the New York Knicks some interior depth, especially with Mitchell Robinson hitting restricted free agency. Nerlens Noel is also a free agent this summer, so we don’t know how much the Knicks are willing to spend to keep the band together.

Jackson would give the Knicks another pogo stick on both ends of the floor. They had good success in turning Robinson from a guy who jumped at everything to someone who could be pretty reliable at times on defense. They love the guys who stretch the floor vertically, especially if you pair them with RJ Barrett or Julius Randle in a pick-and-roll scenario. However, league sources tell The Athletic the Knicks are looking to package their two first-round picks to move up in the draft, possibly into the mid-lottery.

Do you expect a trade here? It sounds like the Knicks will try to package their two first-rounders together to move up, but I don’t know how likely that is.

20. Atlanta Hawks – Jaden Springer, G, Tennessee, 18 years old
Previous pick: Ziaire Williams

I’ve been kicking around the idea of the Atlanta Hawks taking either a wing or a backup point guard at 20. I think they’ll look to free agency for a backup point guard to help Trae Young not have to do so much creation. So let’s see them grab an off-guard with a potential to be a lead guard off the bench in the future.

Jaden Springer makes a ton of sense. The Hawks have a lot of wings, but they showed in the playoffs that they could use a few more. I think Springer will really be able to shoot the ball at the NBA level, and he has good evidence to suggest that to be the case. I doubt he’ll be much more of an offensive player than a catch-and-shoot guy, but he’ll make up for that with his defense. If he can turn into a reliable pick-and-roll initiator, he becomes a steal. He can play for Nate McMillan right away, but he’s also extremely young so he could take some time to get comfortable.

Do you expect a trade here? Travis Schlenk has been a master of the draft so far, and adding a cost-effective option to his rotation makes sense here. No need to expect a deal as of right now.

21. New York Knicks (via Dallas) – Jared Butler, G, Baylor, 20 years old
Previous pick: Jaden Springer

Still have Jared Butler to the Knicks here, but he’s going 21st instead of 19th.

Previous analysis: Feels like a perfect marriage between what Tom Thibodeau would want to coach and what the New York Knicks need for their depth issues. It’s possible they’ll resolve those depth issues in the backcourt with re-signing their own free agents. Derrick Rose, Alec Burks, Elfrid Payton and Reggie Bullock are all free agents. Frank Ntilikina could be a restricted free agent. This is all assuming Butler receives a clean bill of health.

Tenacious on-ball defender and he can shoot the ball. That’s exactly what the Knicks want and what they need moving forward. Butler doesn’t have great size for a versatile guard, but he’s good enough defensively to compete against multiple positions. He’s so good in the pick-and-roll, and while he’s not great getting to the hoop, he’s fantastic pulling up for that jumper. Bringing back Rose and having Immanuel Quickley and Butler as your main attacking guards would be fun.

Do you expect a trade here? I don’t believe the Knicks will keep both picks, so look for them to make a move with at least one of them.

22. Los Angeles Lakers – Ayo Dosunmu, G, Illinois, 21 years old
Previous pick: Sharife Cooper

Previously, we’ve had Sharife Cooper here in this spot, and Cooper may still end up as a guy who cracks the top 20 in this draft. However, I’m pairing the Los Angeles Lakers with a different lead guard this week with Ayo Dosunmu. A lot of executives and scouts seem to be pretty impressed with everything Dosunmu can do. He’s 6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-10 wingspan. He’s a solid enough playmaker, but he’s a little sloppy with the ball and much more of a scorer than anything. His 3-point shot came around this year, but he didn’t even attempt three 3-pointers per game. If the Lakers keep this pick, he could be a nice backup guard right away.

Do you expect a trade here? The Lakers are in ‘Win Now’ mode with the clock ticking on LeBron James. I think exploring a trade of this pick and Kyle Kuzma for a helpful veteran is high on their priority list.

23. Houston Rockets (via Portland) – Alperen Sengun, C, Turkey, 19 years old
No change here for Houston, as of right now.

Previous analysis: I’m not sure if Alperen Sengun actually makes sense for the Rockets’ long-term vision, but the Turkish League MVP falling to No. 23 when some think he might be a lottery pick feels like the Rockets should roll the dice here. He can really score despite limited athleticism. He looks like he’ll be able to shoot it. And it’s such a low-risk, high-reward type of value for the Rockets that Sengun has to be one of the back-to-back picks in this scenario.

Do you expect a trade here? The Rockets could absolutely keep both of these picks in the 20s to fill out the roster and the future with cost-effective options, but they can also try to move up into the teens by sending both of these picks toward someone.

24. Houston Rockets (via Milwaukee) – Trey Murphy, G/F, Virginia, 20 years old
No change at No. 24 either for Houston this week.

Previous analysis: You can’t have too many wings, especially in a rebuilding process. Bringing a real 3-and-D type of prospect to the Rockets here with their third first-round pick makes a ton of sense. Trey Murphy is such a good shooter from deep and the line that it’s a little hard to fathom that he should fall this far. Good workouts could really catapult him up the ranks to maybe even be in that Ziaire Williams range. Wouldn’t shock me if he ended up not making it to the 20s.

Do you expect a trade here? What he said right above.

25. LA Clippers – Isaiah Todd, F, G League Ignite, 19 years old
Previous pick: Joshua Primo

Something wild that was reported this week was Shams Charania letting us know Isaiah Todd of the G League Ignite squad was canceling workouts with late first-round picks. He was focusing on lottery teams. It’s possible that he’s getting a promise somewhere in the late lottery, but that sounds optimistic. Todd has good size as a big, and he really tried to prove he can knock down that deep jumper. He has a solid jump shot though his release is a little inconsistent and he tends to lean back a bit too far. Would like to see him roll to the hoop more instead of fade on pick plays, but he has fantastic upside.

Do you expect a trade here? A lot will depend on what they think happens with the Kawhi Leonard player option/free-agency scenario this summer. If they get the sense Leonard may hit the road, there’s no need to move this pick in hopes of acquiring someone to help them out.

26. Denver Nuggets – Tre Mann, G, Florida, 20 years old
No change this week for Denver. I love the fit of Tre Mann with them.

Previous analysis: Jamal Murray… we don’t know when he’ll be back. We don’t even know if we can definitely expect him to return next season. The Nuggets need some depth in the backcourt, which proved to be a problem for them in the postseason. You probably don’t want to play the 26th pick right away if you’re hoping to be a title contender, but if it comes to it, I think you can trust Tre Mann to knock down shots. He could probably compete at running a second unit pretty early into his rookie season, but defense will be an issue.

Do you expect a trade here? Tim Connelly is always pretty aggressive in improving the team, but they’ve been so good with the draft that I expect them to add another good young player to the mix.

27. Brooklyn Nets – Cameron Thomas, G, LSU, 19 years old
Previous pick: Kessler Edwards

Change this week with Cameron Thomas getting the nod for the Brooklyn Nets. We don’t know if Spencer Dinwiddie will stick around in free agency, so the Nets might as well get a scoring guard to come off the bench at some point. It’s going to be hard to keep Thomas from being a first-round selection. I know they already have a lot of scoring, but he fits nicely into a backcourt that asked Mike James to do far too much at one point.

Do you expect a trade here? I don’t really expect the Nets to have a rookie on the roster and in the mix when they’re trying to win titles now, but anything is possible.

28. Philadelphia 76ers – Sharife Cooper, G, Auburn, 20 years old
Previous pick: Ayo Dosunmu

Still have the Philadelphia 76ers taking a backup guard here, but with Ayo Dosunmu off the board, Sharife Cooper sneaks in here. Cooper is an electric player with a great feel for the game. He’s just struggled to make shots consistently. He’s been working a lot on refining his jumper into something that works for him. His quickness and ball handling are tremendous. He’d be a nice piece off the bench next to Shake Milton.

Do you expect a trade here? Daryl Morey loves to trade, but he also loves cost-effective assets. The contract of the 28th pick is about as cost-effective as it gets.

29. Phoenix Suns – Joshua Primo, G, Alabama, 18 years old
Previous pick: Nah’Shon Hyland

How about another wing for the Phoenix Suns to develop? Joshua Primo could be a great option for them in trying to continue to fill out the wings. Maybe they’ll look for some interior depth, but I doubt anybody they could draft in this spot is going to be able to contribute right away. So Primo gets the nod. He has good length at the guard position, and I think he’ll be able to score/shoot. Just needs time to get his body to mature.

Do you expect a trade here? The Phoenix Suns have been stellar lately in the draft, and there’s no reason to expect a trade out of the pick right now.

30. Utah Jazz – Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, F, Villanova, 20 years old
I still like Jeremiah Robinson-Earl as a first-round guy, so no change this week with Utah.

Previous analysis: The Jazz love players like Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. He’s a forward who should be able to compete at multiple positions. He isn’t a great shooter, but the Jazz believe in their development process. His IQ is through the roof, so he would fit in with what Quin Snyder wants to do. He could go much higher in the first round. Some have him in the second round. We’ll slot him here for now.

Do you expect a trade here? Not draft-related, but the Jazz could be looking to move Derrick Favors after a short-lived reunion.

Second Round
31. Milwaukee Bucks (via Houston) – Nah’Shon Hyland, G, VCU, 20 years old
Nah’Shon “Bones” Hyland is a first-round talent, so the Bucks adding him to their backcourt depth would be a win.

32. New York Knicks (via Detroit) – Kessler Edwards, G/F, Pepperdine, 20 years old
Kessler Edwards is a very smart wing with a lot of skills that translate to the NBA.

33. Orlando Magic – Roko Prkacin, F, Croatia, 18 years old
Potential stash for the Magic overseas with Roko Prkacin looking like a big man who can potentially stretch the floor and has a nice in-between game.

34. Oklahoma City Thunder – JT Thor, F, Auburn, 18 years old
JT Thor would be another big man project for the Thunder, as they try to harness his incredible wingspan into a matching skill set on both ends of the floor.

35. New Orleans Pelicans (via Cleveland) – Day’Ron Sharpe, C, North Carolina, 19 years old
Day’Ron Sharpe probably isn’t a first-round center like some have projected him to be, but he’s a massive guy who should be a solid backup five in the NBA.

36. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Minnesota) – Miles McBride, PG, West Virginia, 20 years old
It’s tough to keep Miles McBride out of the first round, and nobody should be shocked if this emerging offensive point guard sneaks into the top 30.

37. Detroit Pistons (via Toronto) – Quentin Grimes, G, Houston, 21 years old
Quentin Grimes is a newfound outside shooter who doesn’t pass much and doesn’t score much inside the arc, but he has good size and an evolving jumper.

38. Chicago Bulls (via New Orleans) – Charles Bassey, C, Western Kentucky, 20 years old
The Bulls could use another project big man to back up Nikola Vucevic down the road, and Charles Bassey can score inside, rebound and might have a jumper.

39. Sacramento Kings – Josh Christopher, G, Arizona State, 19 years old
The jumper for Josh Christopher shouldn’t be far behind, and he’s an athletic scorer with a lot of upside here.

40. New Orleans Pelicans (via Chicago) – Brandon Boston Jr., G/F, Kentucky, 19 years old
A decent gamble for the Pelicans at this point with Brandon Boston Jr., and you just hope the limitations we saw were simply clamps from Kentucky coach John Calipari.

41. San Antonio Spurs – Rokas Jokubaitis, G, Lithuania, 20 years old
A stash option for the Spurs here with Rokas Jokubaitis, who should be a solid backup guard at the NBA level.

42. Detroit Pistons (via Charlotte) – Herb Jones, F, Alabama, 22 years old
It took four years at Alabama for Herb Jones to look like a decent shooter, however it’s headed in the right direction. He’s a solid distributor, and he can really defend out there.

43. New Orleans Pelicans (via Washington) – Jericho Sims, C, Texas, 22 years old
David Griffin loves him some athleticism and trying to harness the insane jumping ability of Jericho Sims could be a lot of fun.

44. Brooklyn Nets (via Indiana) – Aaron Henry, G/F, Michigan State, 21 years old
Aaron Henry regressed as a shooter at Michigan State, but he improved as a playmaker, so maybe he can help fit into the second unit some day for the Nets wing rotation.

45. Boston Celtics – Daishen Nix, PG, G League Ignite, 18 years old
Daishen Nix should probably be a lot higher just based on his potential, but the Celtics rolling the dice with his feel for the game is a great idea.

46. Toronto Raptors (via Memphis) – Greg Brown, F, Texas, 19 years old
Project defender for the Raptors at the four, but with him available this late in the draft, it’s smart to go with him here.

47. Toronto Raptors (via Golden State) – Joe Wieskamp, G/F, Iowa, 21 years old
A wing with a lethal jumper and a long wingspan, Joe Wieskamp would add to the stable of Raptors wings they expertly stockpile.

48. Atlanta Hawks (via Miami) – Santi Aldama, F, Loyola (Md.), 20 years old
Nice potential stretch-4 option for the Hawks here, and they could actually stash him overseas in his home country of Spain before bringing him over.

49. Brooklyn Nets (via Atlanta) – Aamir Simms, F, Clemson, 22 years old
Aamir Simms isn’t the ridiculous athlete you’d probably want at the 4, but he can shoot, he has long arms, and he has the skill set to be a very good backup forward.

50. Philadelphia 76ers (via New York) – Juhann Begarin, G, France, 18 years old
Stash project guard for Daryl Morey here, and he will need plenty of time overseas before thinking about coming to the States.

51. Memphis Grizzlies (via Portland) – RaiQuan Gray, F, Florida State, 22 years old
RaiQuan Gray is a tank, and if the Grizzlies can develop his jumper at all, he might end up as a great small ball 5 off the bench.

52. Detroit Pistons (Los Angeles Lakers) – Jason Preston, G, Ohio, 21 years old
Jason Preston has a great feel for the game in the backcourt, rebounds really well, and could be a G-League to backup option in the NBA.

53. New Orleans Pelicans (via Dallas) – Filip Petrusev, F, Serbia, 21 years old
Big man stash option for the Pelicans late in the second round, and maybe he’ll head over someday.

54. Indiana Pacers (via Milwaukee) – David Duke, G, Providence, 21 years old
David Duke learned to shoot his last two years at Providence, and he’s a pretty good playmaker that could be the steal of the second round.

55. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Denver) – David Johnson, G, Louisville, 20 years old
Not sure if I’m buying David Johnson as a shooter at the next level, but he could do well to develop in the Thunder’s G-League program.

56. Charlotte Hornets (via LA Clippers) – Austin Reaves, G, Oklahoma, 23 years old
Good enough playmaking guard, but he’s going to have to shoot in order to make this team.

57. Charlotte Hornets (via Brooklyn) – Isaiah Livers, F, Michigan, 22 years old
Hornets love them some 6-foot-7 forwards who can knock down shots, and that’s exactly what Isaiah Livers is.

58. New York Knicks (via Philadelphia) – Joel Ayayi, G, Gonzaga, 21 years old
Joel Ayayi is tough to gauge here, but he’s a talented enough guard to get some interest and avoid going undrafted.

59. Brooklyn Nets (via Phoenix) – Neemias Queta, C, Utah State, 22 years old
Nets do need some size at some point, especially against Joel Embiid, so throwing Neemias Queta an opportunity here makes sense.

60. Indiana Pacers (via Utah) – Yoan Makoundou, C, France, 20 years old
Stash option at the center for Indiana to finish out the draft, and bring some size to the frontcourt in the future.

I just don't get it with Davion Mitchell. 23 years old with one good shooting season under his belt. Never been a good FT shooter though. Not known for his passing. Tenacious defender but only 6'0" with a +4 wingspan. The truly elite defensive guards have wingspans in the 6'7"+ range.

Don't see why he should go in the lottery other than Golden State at 14. Am I missing something?

I just don't get it with Davion Mitchell. 23 years old with one good shooting season under his belt. Never been a good FT shooter though. Not known for his passing. Tenacious defender but only 6'0" with a +4 wingspan. The truly elite defensive guards have wingspans in the 6'7"+ range.

Don't see why he should go in the lottery other than Golden State at 14. Am I missing something?
Just a matter of timing really…He had is best season on the top team last season so he gets that boost…N with GS being in the lotto, he gets the “win now” label attached to him due to his age

If yo played the exact same way with no change in numbers, but Baylor lost 5 more games n went out in the round of 64 he would be a borderline 1st round pick :lol: …Kispert getting that similar team/wins boost too but not as extreme

Last edited:
Don't really see any reason why Moses Moody should fall past New Orleans. Fit is too perfect there. Could totally see Golden State going for him at 7 too.

Alperen Sengun is an 81% FT shooter. Jumper looks fluid. He wasn't asked to shoot 3s in Turkey, but I'm pretty confident he'll be able to do it in the NBA. Good passer that should be able to operate at a pretty high level out of the high post. Great footwork in the paint. I think he has top 10 talent, but may end up falling a bit because he's going to be a drop defender. I do like that he at least shows effort defensively though. Could be pretty interesting in Charlotte. Would be a little surprised if the Spurs don't take him.

Unless he's some huge Dbag, Jalen Johnson should go top 10. Feel like he'd be perfect in Sacramento. Seems Ben Simmons-ish. Would rather just draft him and keep the other players on the team than actually trade for Ben Simmons himself.

I’ve been a believer of Jalen Johnson since day one. I think his shooting numbers are skewed bc of the small sample size and there are rumors of his attitude or w.e, but he’s got the talent to be one of the better players in this draft 3-4 years down the line.

Back
Top Bottom