24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Oh and AMEX went cheap on that metal card :lol:
I have the Gold Rewards which is much better for day to day stuff, but if I take 3-4 vacations a year I wonder if the Platinum is worth it since flights are now 5X points. I`m not giving up my Gold Premier but I wonder if there is a benefit in having both?

Oh and AMEX went cheap on that metal card :lol:
I have the Gold Rewards which is much better for day to day stuff, but if I take 3-4 vacations a year I wonder if the Platinum is worth it since flights are now 5X points. I`m not giving up my Gold Premier but I wonder if there is a benefit in having both?

I'm debating on the gold premier, doesn't make sense to have with CSR. I just want the $500 bonus haha

CSR is has become my daily. Uber, doordash, Starbucks, drinks at the bar all fall into the 3x category. I get my money's worth with the $450 AF.

What's the most a credit score can jump in a short period? Is it possible to go from 550 to 700 within a year?

If you have a lot of collections that get deleted and/or are carrying high utilization and pay it down, I wouldn't doubt it.

Even without anything as offensive as collections you can see that kind of jump in one year. Especially if you have no relative credit history, or you correct bad credit habits and are disciplined in establishing and following good habits in that one year.

Last edited:
AMEX wouldn't even waive my annual fee

Just canceled it yesterday. Barely used it but when I did, it was mainly for protection and security but those ******** straight up let me cancel without hesitation

AMEX wouldn't even waive my annual fee

Just canceled it yesterday. Barely used it but when I did, it was mainly for protection and security but those ******** straight up let me cancel without hesitation
They hurtin bruh they need every AF lol .
That's my thoughts its better for daily purchases which is what I use it for. I am curious how he gets 1K worth of value out of the Plat card every year. 

5x on flights is very nice. Wholetime I might sign up for that since I'm working overseas .

Why would they even waive an annual fee?

Some card companies, actually a good amount will remove the annual fee if you've had the card for a long time and up to date on payments and such. Amex is not one of them, I don't think I've actually seen them waive it for anyone.

I've had the card a few years and paid it, but def not worth $100 anymore since it's actually not doing much for my credit since it has no credit limit

Some card companies, actually a good amount will remove the annual fee if you've had the card for a long time and up to date on payments and such. Amex is not one of them, I don't think I've actually seen them waive it for anyone.

I've had the card a few years and paid it, but def not worth $100 anymore since it's actually not doing much for my credit since it has no credit limit

Yea, I would believe smaller/less "prestigious" cards/companies might do it but a company like AMEX I don't see it. No incentive for them to do it.

They waived $400 of the $450 fee on my amex when I told them that I want to cancel it. This was in 2016 though so not sure if they do it now.

I've had the plat for 5 years and every year I asked for them to waive the fee, they wouldn't. The closest I got was 25k points if I spent x amount of dollars from the time I called. Needless to say I finally cancelled it once I got my CSR.

My score just plummeted :stoneface: . Got an alert that Verizon flagged my account as collections. Thing is it was already in collections for almost two years now. What gives? Should I dispute it? I've already tried to call them a few months back with no luck and from everything I've read online they are real buttholes as far as pay for delete goes.

Last edited:
My score just plummeted :stoneface: . Got an alert that Verizon flagged my account as collections. Thing is it was already in collections for almost two years now. What gives? Should I dispute it? I've already tried to call them a few months back with no luck and from everything I've read online they are real buttholes as far as pay for delete goes.

Fairly certain utilities (phone being one) have less impact on credit scores than other LOCs. One thing in collections shouldnt plummet your score anyway. I forgot to pay a hospital bill for my daughter that went to collections which ironically was the only way i knew inowed the money (moved and wasnt getting the bills) and it only had a minorrrr affect on my score

They waived $400 of the $450 fee on my amex when I told them that I want to cancel it. This was in 2016 though so not sure if they do it now.

Damn, I mean by checking online. It's legit, rare as hell for them to waive any or all of it.

It's a "retention offer" AMEX does......its not technically waiving your annual fee (rarely ever hear about this), but I guess you can consider it that way or an offset to your AF. I've seen people get $100-$200 in statement credit or 10-25k points, just to not cancel their card. It depends also, I'm not sure how Amex gauges their members but some don't even get offered a retention offer even though they may spend a lot on their card compared to someone who doesn't, It varies.  So for the poster who got $400 credit/wavied of your annual fee or retention offer, thats one of the highest offer Ive seen so props to you on that!

BTW.....those of you with the Platinum card that requested the METAL CARD and had it delayed.....I'm hearing you can  get some MR points for the inconvenience by talking to the customer service rep.

I applied for an amex an was declined. Smh

Why does a Macy's charge card from 10+ years ago show up as a neglected payment still? I cant dispute it either because it doesn't show up under that category.

705 credit score with everything paid off smh. I need to get into the 770s but no one will approve me.

Applied for a higher credit limit and haven't heard back from from capitol one

I have two small collections on my report about $500 total. Trying to get a house in about 2 years. I know a pay for delete will remove it, but worst case scenario would I still be able to get a loan with a collection showing on my report(even it it is paid)

Got my chase slate in the mail yesterday. This balance xfer is gonna speed up the process sooooo much can't wait to pay it all off

Might just cancel my CSR and get that Citi Visa card with Costco. Costco AF is $55 and you get 3% cash back on dining and travel. You also get 4% back on gas. Way lower than $450 CSR AF. You also get the benefits of being able to shop at Costco.

Last edited:
Might just cancel my CSR and get that Citi Visa card with Costco. Costco AF is $55 and you get 3% cash back on dining and travel. You also get 4% back on gas. Way lower than $450 CSR AF. You also get the benefits of being able to shop at Costco.

wait until next year so you can use your $300 travel credit again. then cancel

True but the CSR has the annual travel credit (that brings the annual fee down to $150 essentially for the CSR) and you don't get to redeem through ultimate rewards making the 3x points worth 4.5 and you can't transfer to other frequent flyer or hotel rewards etc. Costco would be good just for cash back but for travel the CSR is far better.

LOL. Costco has NO SIGN UP BONUS, you might get a chicken or a case of water.

And you can only get that Cashback at the end of the year. 

Comparing these 2 cards is like comparing a Ferrari to a honda civic. 

The $450 Annual Fee PAYS FOR ITSELF if you use it for any type of travel expense like Airfare, hotel, parking, rental car etc. You get the $300 travel credit every calendar year so $300 in 2017, $300 in 2018 so you actually make money from keeping the card.

Also with the points you can redeem through the chase portal for 1.5X their value on flights or hotels etc. So many benefits to having the CSR! don't cancel it.

Back
Top Bottom