24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

That's the thing somecallmejon somecallmejon I've already used both my $300 annual credit for last year and this year and have gotten my 100k points bonus. I also got my global entry with the card already. I just opened up a chase freedom account as well so this is why I'm really contemplating about cancelling.

That's the thing @somecallmejon I've already used both my $300 annual credit for last year and this year and have gotten my 100k points bonus. I also got my global entry with the card already. I just opened up a chase freedom account as well so this is why I'm really contemplating about cancelling.
I would keep it for your credit history. Just the price protection/extended warranty/car rental insurance protection are worth keeping the CSR.

Also, did you end up using the 100k points? You can also transfer it to other airlines/hotels or even get cashback from it. If you use your Chase Freedom you can transfer points from the freedom to the CSR in order to maximize the points as well. 

If you cancel your card, you won't be able to keep those points. Plus your credit score will go down with a decrease in Average age of accounts and utilization, etc.

somecallmejon somecallmejon yes I received cash back with the points. Not worried about my credit score as it fluctuates from the high 700's to 800's month to month. It's my only card with a high annual fee and I may keep it for all the reasons you've mentioned.

If you are flying Domestically I HIGHLY suggest transferring your points to Southwest to book flights.

I'm flying Dallas to NYC (Back Home) in September. With Southwest it would be 9,500 miles and $11. I can literally get 2 Roundtrips for less than one with the other airlines. And more Free benefits.

Southwest has 2 free checked bags, No change fees, Entertainment, Snacks Provided (3+ Hour Flights)

- With American Airlines it would be 25K miles and $36
mean.gif

- With United it would be 25K Miles and $12
mean.gif
People sleep on SW  mad hard lol . I racked up 23K point from just flying with them that got me a Free RT to Dallas and 1 flight to Tampa , only paid $60 for my flight back.

I just got a $5K increase from Citi without having to pull a credit check. :smokin

No one compares the CSR to a Costco card, but if you see it as a better fit then do it. It seems like you've maxed out the benefits so far. Citi is also very generous with their retention offers. You'll probably be able to get that fee waived or at least get some offers thrown your way.

Last edited:
Thinking about getting a 2nd credit card. Most likely American Express. Whats the best AE card for moderate usage?

Thinking about getting a 2nd credit card. Most likely American Express. Whats the best AE card for moderate usage?

It depends what you plan on using it for. Do you want cash back or points ?

I called up amex today and was offered a 25K sign up bonus if I upgraded to the everyday preferred. DONE. :smokin

My credit sees to be stalled right at 700 for Experian 655 Trans. I noticed my Credit Union only reports to Experian and Equifax so that makes sense since I have my car loans through them and a few signature loans not getting reported. I don't have any collections, 1CC, and a mortgage. I think I am going to take another CC and keep my usage below 10% and see if that helps

How long do balance transfers take? The transfered amount shows on the new cc but isn't taken from the old cc

04/2017 Citigold or Global Client Relationship Bonus+ 15,177 pts

Regarding the Citi Prestige card. I cancelled my Citigold account at the beginning of January and still got the bonus. :smokin

I have my fingers crossed to continue to get the discounted annual fee.

Last edited:
04/2017 Citigold or Global Client Relationship Bonus+ 15,177 pts

Regarding the Citi Prestige card. I cancelled my Citigold account at the beginning of January and still got the bonus. :smokin

I have my fingers crossed to continue to get the discounted annual fee.

Never had Citigold but had a banker sign me up under that promo to get the Prestige for $350. Makes it $100 net after travel credits, so I'm definitely keeping it if that AF stays even though they're cutting benefits and I'm using the CSR way more often.

anyone have any experience with the Jetblue card.. they are offering 5000+ jetblue points if you spend over a 1000$ in 90 days. i would also be getting 3 TrueBlue points for every $1 spent on purchases made directly with JetBlue Airways.

So for booking this flight alone i could possibly be getting the 6 points/1$ that regular rewards members get, an addn'l 5000 points for signing up & 3 points/1$ for charging my flight to the card.

Combined my old CapOne CC ($2k limit) that had an annual fee with my other CapOne Quicksilver card

Now have 3 CC's --> Quicksilver + VentureOne + DiscoverIT

Congrats^^

Score just broke 600 as of Saturday

Capital 1 secured
Started with 300 credit limit (50 deposit down and added 100 more to get the 300)
Auto cli to 400 after 3 months.
Auto cli to 700 after 6 months.

Discover it secured 200 limit will go for review to be graduated next month (6th billing cycle)

Capital one quicksilver with 400 limit
Approved after 7 months of having the secured.

anyone have any experience with the Jetblue card.. they are offering 5000+ jetblue points if you spend over a 1000$ in 90 days. i would also be getting 3 TrueBlue points for every $1 spent on purchases made directly with JetBlue Airways.

So for booking this flight alone i could possibly be getting the 6 points/1$ that regular rewards members get, an addn'l 5000 points for signing up & 3 points/1$ for charging my flight to the card.

I have it, since I fly Jet Blue often. I would not sign up for the 5000 promo, they offer a 10,000 point promo periodically. So it is in your interest to wait.

Secondly if you want to rack up Jetblue point they have a Amazon affiliate link you can click through their Trublue website that earns you 3 point per dollar spent.

When you get the card (either you wait for 10K or you don't) it also has 2x point on groceries. So you can buy Amazon gift card at the supermarket then shop through the link and earn 5 points per dollar spent.

Last edited:
I picked up the Chase Sapphire Reserve and downgraded my Preferred to the Freedom Unlimited.

3X Points on Food and Travel with the Reserve!
1.5 Points on everything else with the Freedom!

I'm eating :smokin

Need to start planing my next trip.

Last edited:
My score just plummeted
indifferent.gif
. Got an alert that Verizon flagged my account as collections. Thing is it was already in collections for almost two years now. What gives? Should I dispute it? I've already tried to call them a few months back with no luck and from everything I've read online they are real buttholes as far as pay for delete goes.
Verizon sold the debt to an outside collector most likely.....so its reported as a new collection account.

It can be sold over and over until the statue of limitations time is met.

Is not new debt....just a new collections account.

Last edited:
Does anybody have Chase Credit Journey? It's a new credit score website, that you can check your score without pulling from your score, and it shows you the Transunion VantageScore Credit Score.

I'm so close to breaking the 800 Mark, my Bank of America backed score is at 785. So hopefully I can crack the 800 mark soon.

View media item 2407560

Congrats^^

Score just broke 600 as of Saturday

Capital 1 secured
Started with 300 credit limit (50 deposit down and added 100 more to get the 300)
Auto cli to 400 after 3 months.
Auto cli to 700 after 6 months.

Discover it secured 200 limit will go for review to be graduated next month (6th billing cycle)

Capital one quicksilver with 400 limit
Approved after 7 months of having the secured.

What did you spend on your discover card to graduate so quick ? Gas ? Food?

Bros, question about credit/identity monitoring. I came home to see a piece of mail from Citi opened, it was a balance transfer spam mailer, and it was one of those perforated, tear open envelopes, not a normal glued one (it was torn open on the perf line).

I'm not sure if anything is missing (obvs) but I'm shook. How do I go about setting up a credit monitor or anything else that should be done? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom