24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Bros, question about credit/identity monitoring. I came home to see a piece of mail from Citi opened, it was a balance transfer spam mailer, and it was one of those perforated, tear open envelopes, not a normal glued one (it was torn open on the perf line).

I'm not sure if anything is missing (obvs) but I'm shook. How do I go about setting up a credit monitor or anything else that should be done? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

If you want ultimate peace of mind, I'd just inniate a credit security freeze with each of the credit reporting agencies.

It's something like $5 - $15 or so per agency but if your identity or information was compromised, no one will be able to pull your credit without a pin making it nearly impossible to open a new credit account in your name.

I just got a $5K increase from Citi without having to pull a credit check.
smokin.gif

No one compares the CSR to a Costco card, but if you see it as a better fit then do it. It seems like you've maxed out the benefits so far. Citi is also very generous with their retention offers. You'll probably be able to get that fee waived or at least get some offers thrown your way.
Is citi soft?

What did you spend on your discover card to graduate so quick ? Gas ? Food?

Discover has not graduated yet. I spoke to numerous reps (amazing customer service btw) and they all say the secured card is automatically reviewed once a month after your 6th billing cycle to see if it qualifies to be graduated.

I maxed the card out (200 limit) at least twice a month and payed it off each month

Last edited:
Bros, question about credit/identity monitoring. I came home to see a piece of mail from Citi opened, it was a balance transfer spam mailer, and it was one of those perforated, tear open envelopes, not a normal glued one (it was torn open on the perf line).

I'm not sure if anything is missing (obvs) but I'm shook. How do I go about setting up a credit monitor or anything else that should be done? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

If you want ultimate peace of mind, I'd just inniate a credit security freeze with each of the credit reporting agencies.

It's something like $5 - $15 or so per agency but if your identity or information was compromised, no one will be able to pull your credit without a pin making it nearly impossible to open a new credit account in your name.
Repped. Thanks bro :pimp: Gonna check that out.

US Bank bout to drop a CSR competitor.

The leaked perks for the churning/MS community going nuts.
:nerd:  drop a link

It not out yet pa, end of month.

But this link breaks it down.

https://www.walla.by/blog/159729511534/confirmed-details-about-the-us-bank-altitude

This is what had dudes going nuts:

The 3X on mobile payments is for NFC in-store transactions and eligible in app and online purchases.

Because they think they can finesse Plastiq payments with it.

There's no way 3x is gonna last. Plastiq bout to be moving billions of dollars a day if this is true.

Samsung Pay about to get its shine from me.

Last edited:
It not out yet pa, end of month.

But this link breaks it down.

https://www.walla.by/blog/159729511534/confirmed-details-about-the-us-bank-altitude

This is what had dudes going nuts:

Because they think they can finesse Plastiq payments with it.
This might be the card for me my guy lol. I want access to the airport lounges though .
Apple Pay is accepted dam near everywhere now and I'm traveling a lot cuz i'm overseas now.

Whats Plastiq?

Plastiq is a bill pay service that allows people to pay stuff like their rent (if you landlord doesn't give you an online option) and your mortgage

They usually cahrge a 2.5% fee and they have promotion during the year that brings it down to 1%. Apparently you could use Samsung pay with it so that could give people .5% back on their mortgage and up to 2% when a promotion is going on.

The new charge redeem points at 1.5% on travel. So people thought Plastiq would be an easy way to get points in areas that they usually could not.

But it seems US banks is got gonna let that finesse move happen.

Also this card doesn't have the $100 Visa Infinite airline credit. This card is the 4th VISA infinite card offered in the US. CSR, Ritz Card, City National Crystal. The last two offer a perk where if you book two domestic airline tickets through a special portal you get $100 off. People have been flourishing on short haul flights

There's no way 3x is gonna last. Plastiq bout to be moving billions of dollars a day if this is true.

Samsung Pay about to get its shine from me.

Looks like US Bank is up on game and won't allow it Plastiq.

Dudes where flagrant though. I read on a forum people where tweeting at US bank **** like "I'm bout to **** you whole **** up", "You got to get rekt", "I promise to be gentle"

I dunno if this is true, but some of Reddit comments mirrored those sentiments. :lol:

-PS, you have to have a previous relationship with US Bank to get this card, it looks like it will only be in branch, plus US Bank is a pain to get approved. And if it is anything like the City National Bank, unless you're making upwards of like 85K (preferable 100k), don't even bother applying.

Last edited:
Oh damb, no previous relationship with US Bank.

Oh well, I need to wait til August so an inquiry will drop out to make me 4/24. Need some Southwest cards.

For the Capital One Secured Card, do you ever get the security deposit back or is it just basically turning your cash into credit?

Last edited:
For the Capital One Secured Card, do you ever get the security deposit back or is it just basically turning your cash into credit?

This was my first card years ago to build my credit, still haven't gotten my deposit back..100% on time payments, and low balance always. I would put in the minimum since you won't be getting it back

All Details About the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite[emoji]174[/emoji] Card

Not so long ago, we’ve introduced some rumors about this amazing premium card , such as the low effective annual fee, automatic annual travel credit $325, etc.

Today, I just got the information from a local bank, which provides almost all the details. Let’s see what benefits we have here :

U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite[emoji]174[/emoji] Card

Signup Bonus:

Customers can earn 50,000 points after spending $4,500 in eligible net purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. This is a one-time enrollment offer worth $750 in travel. And currently no targeted higher signup bonus is available.

Annual Fee:

The annual fee is $400 for the primary cardmember and each additional card is $75 annually. The cardmember can redeem 35,000 points to offset the cost of their annual fee plus any additional card fee(s).

Prerequisites for application:

Altitude Reserve is exclusively offered to U.S. Bank customers who have an eligible consumer U.S. Bank account relationship open a minimum of 35 days prior to submitting an application. You must be a U.S. Bank customer in order to be approved for this card.

Eligible consumer U.S. Bank account relationship means: The Checking or Savings account, Certificate of Deposit, Mortgage, Home Equity Loan, Home Equity Line of Credit, Auto/Boat/RV Loan, Personal Loans and Lines, Private Banking account or Consumer Credit Card issued by U.S. Bank.

However, if you are a new customers of US Bank, you can still get this card, but have to apply in branch and ask the banker to call the underwriting to validate that you’re a new customer.

Also the minimum credit limit for approval is $5000.

How to Apply:

May. 2nd, you can go to a local branch to apply. It’s currently available only via direct application, and no product conversion is allowed. In the future, the product change may be allowed, and flexperks can be transferred to Altitude points with 1:1 ratio.

Benefit

Spending:

Travel: Earn 3X points per $1 for eligible net travel purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies.
MCC 4121 Taxicabs count as travel
MCC 7011 Lodging – Hotels, Motels, Resorts, Central Reservation Services count as travel
MCC 4722 Travel Agencies, Tour Operators don’t count as travel
MCC 6513 Real Estate Agents and Managers – Rentals don’t count as travel
Mobile wallet: Earn 3X points per $1 for eligible net mobile wallet purchases when using the Altitude Reserve card with your mobile device to pay through Apple Pay,[emoji]174[/emoji] Android Pay,[emoji]8482[/emoji] Samsung Pay and Microsoft Wallet, wherever they can be used in-store, in-app or online. (sorry I forgot to include this very important information when first posting)
All other purchases: Earn 1X point per $1 spent on all other eligible net purchases
No foreign transaction fees for purchases made in foreign currencies. The points never expire.
Points redemption and value:

Points can be redeemed for travel as well as gift cards, merchandise, entertainment, cash back, magazines and more, starting at just 1,000 points.
Has a rich point value when customers redeem for travel: 1 point is worth 1.5 cents when redeeming for travel. 10,000 points are worth $150 in airfare, hotel stays, car rental or other travel awards
Travel Benefits

Travel credit: Account holders can earn up to $325 every cardmember year in automatic statement credits for travel purchases made directly from airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise lines. A corresponding statement credit will be applied to the account the next time it cycles. This is the richest travel credit among Premium rewards cards. (like Chase sapphire reserve, Amex Platinum, Citi Prestige, JPM ritz carlton, etc)
Gogopass: 12 complimentary inflight Gogo Wi-Fi access passes per year, the same benefit provided by US BANK Flexperks travel rewards Visa signature
Priority Pass Select: Only one PPS membership card per account, and only first 4 accesses are complimentary with one additional guest, afterwards, it’s not free.
TSA-Pre: Up to $100 statement credit to reimburse for either a TSA PreCheck[emoji]174[/emoji] or Global Entry application fee — whichever program the cardmember applies for first, once every 4 years.
Silver car discount: Rent an Audi A4 with no lines and no paperwork from airport locations in select cities. Receive up to 30% off rentals of two or more days when using an Altitude Reserve card.
GroundLink[emoji]174[/emoji] Black Car Service:Enjoy reliable, comfortable chauffeured car service that’s available in 110 countries. Customers using their Altitude Reserve card receive 15% off, and $30 off their first ride.
Relais & Chateaux Boutique Luxury Hotels: Accelerated access to the Club 5C loyalty program after just two nights.
Club 5C benefits that include room upgrades, personalized services and invitations to exceptional cultural and culinary experiences. A complimentary breakfast daily at approximately 120 participating properties.
Andrew Harper Travel Club Receive complimentary membership in this legendary travel organization, with access to seasoned travel planners who can provide expert guidance to create a more personalized travel experience.
James Beard Celebrity Chef Tour Exclusive benefits for James Beard Celebrity Chef Tour dining events in cities around the country. Benefits include pre-sale access and $60 off per person per event.
NetJets[emoji]174[/emoji] Private Aviation: The ultimate convenience of private aviation becomes more affordable with complimentary flight time and aircraft upgrades from NetJets. Cardmembers can also redeem points for flight time.
Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection
Purchase and Travel Protection

The good thing is delay protection is kind of like chase sapphire reserve , 6 hours or overnight delay could get you up to $500 reimbursement. And I’m not sure the CDW is primary or secondary, considering the City National bank crystal visa infinite card provides Primary CDW for rental, this might be primary as well. (Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ritz carlton visa infinite and JPM reserve provide primary CDW not because they’re visa infinite card but they’re Chase Premium Card.)

Conclusion

The Altitude reserve visa infinite metal card, with an annual fee of $400, and $325 travel credit, is definitely a no-brainer even without other perks, such as 12 annual gogo wifi passes, low-end PPS membership, silver car discount, TSA pre reimbursement, etc.

And what makes it too good to be true is the mobile wallet spending bonus 3x, unlimited. Plastiq, Radpad for utility, and think about all things you can do with mobile pay, you can get 3x and 4.5% if redeemed in travel category.

Again! It’s the no-brainer.

https://travelafterwork.com/en/2017/04/18/details-u-s-bank-altitude-reserve-visa-infinite-card/

tumblr_inline_oo7pbsk5iZ1rgwbvu_540.jpg

How is US Bank with CLI's? Hard or soft pulls?

I think the Altitude card and my PRG card for gas and restaurants would be a good combo.

Mobile payments will only become even more available over the years the 3x (4.5% reward on travel) can become a very big benefit .

Only catch is they can easily change what is a considered a qualifiable mobile payment.

This was my first card years ago to build my credit, still haven't gotten my deposit back..100% on time payments, and low balance always. I would put in the minimum since you won't be getting it back

Did you request to get it back, or do you need to wait a certain time? That's BS if you lose your money. If that's the case I can see why Cap One accepts most people with bad credit/no credit.

I have it, since I fly Jet Blue often. I would not sign up for the 5000 promo, they offer a 10,000 point promo periodically. So it is in your interest to wait.

Secondly if you want to rack up Jetblue point they have a Amazon affiliate link you can click through their Trublue website that earns you 3 point per dollar spent.

When you get the card (either you wait for 10K or you don't) it also has 2x point on groceries. So you can buy Amazon gift card at the supermarket then shop through the link and earn 5 points per dollar spent.

appreciate the response

Back
Top Bottom