24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

So on that Capital One secured card, you can put $50 on it? How much does that get you on the card? Who has the best secured card?

It depends. They have different options based upon your credit.

Normally 50 bucks gives you 200 credit limit.
Or 100 for 200 limit
Or 150 for 200 limit if credit is bad bad.
You can add money yo that deposit to increase your initial limit.
I put down 150 and had a 300 dollar limit

Discover has the best secured. It gives rewards, and they match rewards after 1 year

Capital one is next because they increase your limit with good payments. I started at 300 am now at 700 after 7 or 8 months.

Just got off the phone with Discover and just wanted to sAy..their customer service is top notch..I was asking some pretty detailed questions and they were patient with me the entire time..they rule

Damn my score dropped 40 points cause I put my medical bills onto the CC. Forgot to even think about it.
Why does it matter what you spend the credit on?  As long as I pay it off, it should boost your credit score right?
What you spend money on doesn't matter. In my situation, since I charged Med bills to my CC and allow it to show up on statement, it increased my overall utilization. Which has a negative effect on ur score. I paid it all off and didn't owe any interest, but my utilization still took a hit last month. I think it's recommended that u keep your utilization below 30%.

I'm going to get another card. What's the best rewards one, that is also metal? I have a 660 and it's dropping for some reason (utilization I know but still, all my payments are on time otherwise.) I went ahead and signed up for creditrepair. I know they are just going to dispute like I can do through creditkarma on the old entries but they say they'll do all the bureaus so we'll see.

Has anyone here done the TSA/Global entry interview? Thinking about doing it since it's free with CSR. Not sure how much they're gonna grill you though :nerd:

Has anyone here done the TSA/Global entry interview? Thinking about doing it since it's free with CSR. Not sure how much they're gonna grill you though
nerd.gif
Its not a real interview, you verify your social and scan fingerprints.

Has anyone here done the TSA/Global entry interview? Thinking about doing it since it's free with CSR. Not sure how much they're gonna grill you though :nerd:
Its not a real interview, you verify your social and scan fingerprints.

Yep. I live in San Diego so I got the Sentri pass which gives me access to the fast pass lane back into the states from Mexico. The agent just asked me questions about the new car I got :lol:

**** really is just a verification interview in person. I did mine 2 years ago and it took 2 weeks just for them to review my application and 3 months just to get an interview :lol:. All that for something that took all of 5 mins to get done. Asked my employment status and how often I travel. took my fingerprints and I was out the door.

**** really is just a verification interview in person. I did mine 2 years ago and it took 2 weeks just for them to review my application and 3 months just to get an interview
laugh.gif
. All that for something that took all of 5 mins to get done. Asked my employment status and how often I travel. took my fingerprints and I was out the door.
I have a interview this wed

One thing I don't like about this sudden influx of "premium cards" with Global Entry reimbursement is that the TSA pre-check lines really aren't that much faster than the general lines anymore. The gates usually have just one line for TSA pre-check vs 4+ with the general.

Global Entry to get back into the States is the goods though.

CSR?   Can you tell me how you searched / booked?

I used Citi TY points at 1.6 cents per point towards flights on AA for having the Citi prestige card. Flights were only $404. It was only a little over 25K per person. Nonstop to London and returning from Paris nonstop also.

I transferred a ton of Chase points to Hyatt to book my hotels in London and Paris. I transferred Marriott to SPG to book my two nights in Amsterdam. You can check Hyatt award availability on their site. You can do the same with SPG, if the option isnt available you can call them.

If you're planning a vacation, book your hotels in advance. You can always cancel later on. The one problem with that is your points cant be transferred back. I waited too long and couldn't get the hotels I wanted and now im checking like a crackhead to see if it becomes available.

One thing I don't like about this sudden influx of "premium cards" with Global Entry reimbursement is that the TSA pre-check lines really aren't that much faster than the general lines anymore. The gates usually have just one line for TSA pre-check vs 4+ with the general.

They have a app called "mobile pass". I've used it several times and it's quick past customs

DOG , they forced us pre check boarders to go through the pre check line that had a 20 min wait and the regular line had a 2min wait. I did not get it at all .

Back
Top Bottom