24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I want to get another card but my credit is in the high 6s. should I wait until it's in the 7s to apply for another card so I can get a higher limit? (I've had my current card for over two years, no missed payment etc. also the pull has been removed) I'm looking to get the Amex blue cash card

I think you should be fine. I got the amex blue cash everyday in the same situation as you but only 1 year of history. score in the high 600s also. PM me and I'll shoot you a referral link for the card.

Paying the price for the mistakes I made as young adult 19-23.
Got a nice chunk of credit card debt :lol: :smh:
Can't do much but laugh at this point (and pay it off aggressively)
What's the best way to knock it all out as quick as possible? *cough*20k*cough*

(If I apply for a new balance transfer card, chances are they will not give me a limit for that high)

(If I apply for a new balance transfer card, chances are they will not give me a limit for that high)

File for bankruptcy...

Nah that big of a balance, only option i see is to get a loan for it. With a decent interest rate and keep paying it aggresively

Last edited:
If Geico is coming after me for recovery for a car accident that my insurance lapsed on can they put it on my credit? They sent me something from a collections agency but they don't have my social at all (From what I know of). I am guessing they will set up legal proceedings? How does that effect me in the future? They haven't contacted me in 3 months and I think I would notice 20k on my credit. 

Also anyone have any experience with Lexington Law? I have been paying them to take a few dents off my credit about $120 a month. Would it be easier for me to go to somewhere in person? 

Thanks in advance! 

To my knowledge yes we'll put it on your credit when we subro you. I know that policy cancellations do & we can get your social fairly easy. I'd call our subro dept & set up a payment plan.

File for bankruptcy...

Nah that big of a balance, only option i see is to get a loan for it. With a decent interest rate and keep paying it aggresively

Will that negatively affect my score? What are some loan companies/lenders that are reputable?

You can try to get a Chase Slate card and hope you get decent limit to at least transfer half of it in there. It's the best balance transfer card out there.

Whats your APR on that debt? :wow:

Last edited:
View media item 2441508
Was at 769, got an Amex, got approved for 8k in December. A few weeks ago I asked on an increase of 5k and got approved, I should've asked for 10k. Pretty much maxed out and now I'm back in the 600s. I hope to get back to 780s in a few months.

Quick question, Im 22, credit score sitting at 768. Only have 1 CC & make between 1600-2000 a month. I want to buy some prop but was told even though I had good cred I didnt make enough to qualify for a loan.

True right?

Income matters when it comes to loans. Credit doesn't mean a lot if you're not making enough to pay back the loans.

Yea man just keep paying them bills on time and let that 768 build to even higher while you get your wages higher and revisit in a yr or so and you'll be in even better position and get a better rate.

You can try to get a Chase Slate card and hope you get decent limit to at least transfer half of it in there. It's the best balance transfer card out there.

Whats your APR on that debt? :wow:

Chase slate is one of the cards I have :lol:

23% 19% and 25% are the APR on the cards I have

I'll look into that, repped

Do not file bankruptcy unless you plan on having terrible credit for 7 years. Your best best it to try to use a Discover IT card and start paying down the debt. You get unlimited 0% 12mo BTs (3% fee) . Make the transfers pay them down , keep asking for CLI's like every 3 months.

Come up with a plan to aggressively pay down the debt.

$13k off the bat? :wow: Might need to apply for Amex next.

Amex has the 3x CLI so if you're approved for $8k you can get an increase to $24k after 60 days. And even if you don't get that much as a starting limit you can request a 3x CLI every 60 days

Do not file bankruptcy unless you plan on having terrible credit for 7 years. Your best best it to try to use a Discover IT card and start paying down the debt. You get unlimited 0% 12mo BTs (3% fee) . Make the transfers pay them down , keep asking for CLI's like every 3 months.

That's one of the cards I already have too :smh: :smh: :lol:

Time to hug the block.

Then use it lol. The BT perks are one of its most overlooked features . Can give yourself 12mo interest free loans at anytime

It's 95% maxed out, B :lol:
I ****** up :smh:

Unless I'm missing something. I can't balance transfer to a card that barely has any more space on it right?

I'll look into that, repped

Not entirely true. I filed ch 7 in 2013. My credit scores are in the low 7s. You will have to accept some horrible apr's for the first year or so but once you start establishing a good history again your scores will rise. Jus have to be smart afterwards...

That's one of the cards I already have too
mean.gif
mean.gif
laugh.gif
Think about a debt consolidation loan? I was $8K in debt, took out $5k to pay down all my cards other than one, now I can manage with this credit card.

I had two cards maxed at $3500 and $3200 respectively, then another maxed at $300. Got rid of pretty much everything other than 2/3 of one of the big cards. My bills with all those cards was about $250/mo. Now I throw a little extra at the card with a balance (minimum payment is only $66 now, down from $100+).

Sometimes you just need that parachute to get you into a position where you can start making a dent.

Also doesn't help your score to have your utilization up over 90%. I was literally at 99% utilization, and that had my score in the 500s. No other blemishes on my report. Sometimes all you need to do is fix your utilization and available credit. Score has shot up almost 50 points, and only the payment of the $300 card was reported on my last credit report. Expect to get over 700 by the end of the month.

Good luck.

File for bankruptcy...

Will that negatively affect my score? What are some loan companies/lenders that are reputable?
I went with my credit union. Got a rate of about 12.9%. I was worried about the negative affect on my score too. The hard pull will hurt you a tiny bit, and a denial would hurt too, but wont hurt any more than letting that debt continue to hang around your neck. Take my word for it, a debt consolidation loan is worth the hit. And if you get denied, you can appeal and explain that your score is so low only because your utilization is so high. And if you were able to clear some of that debt, your score will recover and you'll be able to move on. If you do though, make sure you include some screenshots of your report showing youve kept up with payments and been relatively responsible in dealing with the debt.

Just gotta give it a shot.

Sidenote: I had an Amazon Store Credit Card maxed out at $600. Paid it off in January, and they lowered my credit limit to $100. Score is just starting to recover, though. Should I request an increase when my score breaks 700 again? It was nice having that extra credit to help my score.

Also any suggestions on travel rewards cards? Was looking at Capital One's Venture card. Think I could spend $3000 in three months for the reward bonus. Anyone got any personal experience with working the travel rewards game?
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom