24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I am 36 now and I got my first credit card at the age of 18 in college. It's the most absolute worst credit card you could get as Capital One preyed on young students. However I still have this Credit Card open till this day and have an auto charge of $9.99 a month and gets paid off. You never want to close your oldest credit card and keep it open. I was taught well by my parents and have excellent credit that ranges from 780-803 these past 7 years. It took me forever to break the 800 mark and it was a smile on my face when I did. I've applied and got things based on my great credit that most people wouldn't. So I'll say its very important in your future endeavors if you don't have an enormous cash flow to fund your purchases/investments.

Bro cancel that card. That's just throwing money away for no reason. Cancelled cards still stay on your report for 10 years. I'm sure you have other cards that will still keep your utilization at a good point

Bro cancel that card. That's just throwing money away for no reason. Cancelled cards still stay on your report for 10 years. I'm sure you have other cards that will still keep your utilization at a good point

No need to cancel the card if there isn't a yearly fee or if paid in full regularly.

Sounds like he has a subscription/payment on autodebit that is paid off monthly.

Finally got approved for my first card. Feels good
smokin.gif
gonna buy some chips?

Does being put on child support really hurt your credit? And why?
from my understanding its treated as a credit card statement and if you miss a payments it affects your score as such.

That's insane :smh:

I have 1 month left on my discover it. At $435 cash back right now, doubt I'm gonna hit my goal of $500. I need to refer one more person to have a chance :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:. Gonna apply for the chase freedom/unlimited to get that $175..I also have $300 from my bofa card so when it's all said and done I hope to have around $1500 :pimp:

After that I need to figure out a new card, trying to get some travel perks..not sure if I'll get approved for the CSR, plus i don't think I'll spend the 4K. I opened my first account in December 2015 and currently my credit score is 756. I got rejected for the chase freedom in early 2016 so hopefully I'll get it this time

Last edited:
Got approved today for a discover it. The credit line is only $800 :smh:
How soon can I submit a CLI? How stingy are they with the increases?

I'm no credit guru. This year I wanted to get my credit together. Made stupid decisions in the past. Credit was bad. First thing I did was pull my credit reports and disputed anything negative. This payed off because I had some info removed that was really old. I think that helped a lot . Then I applied for the capital one secured platinum,. Had to give 50 dollars for a 200 dollar line of credit. Next my credit union started a new program that was an account that they pre approved you for a 1000 dollar credit card with a new account. After that I applied for the Discover secured card. Had to give 200 for 200 line of credit. That was in February-April. Out of nowhere something told me to check American Express pre qualify page. The Everyday Card, Blue Cash Everyday Card, and Green Charge card popped up. I applied for the Everyday and Blue Cash everyday and was approved for 1000 dollars for each. Cards just arrived last week. That is where i'm at at this point. All of that happened since the new year. So my advice would be pull your credit reports and try to have negative things removed.

Got approved today for a discover it. The credit line is only $800 :smh:
How soon can I submit a CLI? How stingy are they with the increases?

90 days for your first CLI then you can request every 30 days with pretty good chance of success every 30. May get denied every other month or once every 3 months or so.

90 days for your first CLI then you can request every 30 days with pretty good chance of success every 30. May get denied every other month or once every 3 months or so.

Thanks for the info. Normally what increments would the CLI be? I know it's different for each person, just curious

I'm no credit guru. This year I wanted to get my credit together. Made stupid decisions in the past. Credit was bad. First thing I did was pull my credit reports and disputed anything negative. This payed off because I had some info removed that was really old. I think that helped a lot . Then I applied for the capital one secured platinum,. Had to give 50 dollars for a 200 dollar line of credit. Next my credit union started a new program that was an account that they pre approved you for a 1000 dollar credit card with a new account. After that I applied for the Discover secured card. Had to give 200 for 200 line of credit. That was in February-April. Out of nowhere something told me to check American Express pre qualify page. The Everyday Card, Blue Cash Everyday Card, and Green Charge card popped up. I applied for the Everyday and Blue Cash everyday and was approved for 1000 dollars for each. Cards just arrived last week. That is where i'm at at this point. All of that happened since the new year. So my advice would be pull your credit reports and try to have negative things removed.
That's a lot of pulls on that credit. :lol:

Is it? I thought total Hard pulls was 3. But like I said, I'm no credit guru :nerd:

Last edited:
Quick question, was there a sign up special a few months ago for the chase sapphire preferred of $150 cash back? I swear I remember seeing something along those lines but searching through the thread I can't find it anymore

Quick question, was there a sign up special a few months ago for the chase sapphire preferred of $150 cash back? I swear I remember seeing something along those lines but searching through the thread I can't find it anymore

Chase sapphire preffered is 50,000 points sign up bonus when you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months. Not cash back but you can redeem it for cash it will be equivalent to $500. The points are worth $625 in travel when redeemed through the ultimate rewards portal. You may be thinking about the chase freedom or freedom unlimited sign up bonus of $150 cash back when you spend $500 in the first 3 months

Anyone have experience with the Bank of America Cash rewards card? Been looking around and it seems to be one of the few cards on the market that give you a solid 3% back on gas all year around, without rotating categories. It's also a no annual fee which is a plus. 

Back
Top Bottom