24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I see chase has a new freedom card called the freedom flex and they are phasing out the old freedom card. I want to apply for the flex instead of changing my old freedom to the flex so i can get the new card perks. Will that affect me later when they end the original freedom program and I don't have a card to convert it to?

Just looked at the Chase website and they have a bonus for the sapphire preferred, 80k points instead of 60k 🔥

I have to wait like 2 more months to apply I hope they are still doing it then

Last edited:
I see chase has a new freedom card called the freedom flex and they are phasing out the old freedom card. I want to apply for the flex instead of changing my old freedom to the flex so i can get the new card perks. Will that affect me later when they end the original freedom program and I don't have a card to convert it to?
You can apply for the new freedom flex while keeping your original freedom instead of product changing if you want to. Chase usually doesn't cancel your cards just because the card has stopped offered to new applicants.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 12.18.43 PM.png

Not even sure how to reach 850 at this point.

Who can put me up on game for airfare + the credit card for it?

1) Sign up bonuses are always the first priority
2) Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points on travel and restaurants
3) Any card that gets you 2x on all purchases - I like Barclay Arrival Plus
4) If you own a business or you're self-employed grab the Chase Ink Preferred to get 3x points on various bills like internet and cellular.
5) Specific airline credit cards for when the value is better than the 3x you get with the Sapphire Reserve + various other minor benefits

A little credit churning, acquiring points on everyday purchases, and a flight notification service and we basically flying for free out here.

I have like $600 in delta credit from a cancelled flight this past December, I wonder if it expires or anything :nerd: . I don’t have any plans anytime soon

I have like $600 in delta credit from a cancelled flight this past December, I wonder if it expires or anything :nerd: . I don’t have any plans anytime soon

You got me thinking now I'm sitting on more airline points than I can use. I should transfer for a fee. :lol:

I got a trip to Panama City in January. Delta flies out of ECP, I could use it.

1) Sign up bonuses are always the first priority
2) Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points on travel and restaurants
3) Any card that gets you 2x on all purchases - I like Barclay Arrival Plus
4) If you own a business or you're self-employed grab the Chase Ink Preferred to get 3x points on various bills like internet and cellular.
5) Specific airline credit cards for when the value is better than the 3x you get with the Sapphire Reserve + various other minor benefits

A little credit churning, acquiring points on everyday purchases, and a flight notification service and we basically flying for free out here.

Real MVP

Highest I ever had was 780 something, now down to 722, whats your secret?
Outside of having a collection disappear, no idea. Credit score was around 730 with the collection on my report. Still bought a house and car last year with.

Idk, my score has been bouncing between 832 and 847 all year. Not that a 850 will grant me three wishes but I'm thinking about getting another card.

Speaking of which, is AE basically a charge card? I hear both yes and no on this.

My brother told me he opened a card and his credit score went up twenty points, so number of open lines of credit are a factor. Also, never close an account. Student loans are kind of annoying in this regard. It's considered a line of credit, so it will boost your score as long as you're making payments. Once you pay the whole thing off, the account closes, and all that delicious credit you acquired goes *POOF*.

As for AMEX, it used to be only charge cards (my mom still believes this to be the case). If you'll recall their ad campaign from the 1990s about going out to dinner and never having to worry about getting your card declined. Well, that's because they weren't credit cards.

Now, it depends on the card. Green, Gold and Platinum are charge cards. I have Gold, and there's no spending limit, I just have to pay it off every month. I also have Blue Cash Preferred (I have my reasons for having both), which has a limit and functions like a normal credit card. I pay both off every month, regardless.

I made a deposit on a gambling site with one of my cards in early July and it still hasn’t been charged. No missed payments on my history either. It’s not totally legal they use like offshore sites and companies to charge you, maybe it got lost in that shuffle somehow 🤷🏻‍♂️

just gonna let it ride I guess

My brother told me he opened a card and his credit score went up twenty points, so number of open lines of credit are a factor. Also, never close an account. Student loans are kind of annoying in this regard. It's considered a line of credit, so it will boost your score as long as you're making payments. Once you pay the whole thing off, the account closes, and all that delicious credit you acquired goes *POOF*.

As for AMEX, it used to be only charge cards (my mom still believes this to be the case). If you'll recall their ad campaign from the 1990s about going out to dinner and never having to worry about getting your card declined. Well, that's because they weren't credit cards.

Now, it depends on the card. Green, Gold and Platinum are charge cards. I have Gold, and there's no spending limit, I just have to pay it off every month. I also have Blue Cash Preferred (I have my reasons for having both), which has a limit and functions like a normal credit card. I pay both off every month, regardless.
Wow had no idea AE worked like that depending on the card you have. A charge card seems very dangerous if you're not on top of your ****.

I hit a goal today and wanted to share wit somebody. Pulled my credit score out the sewer. Went from 500 to 755 in 6 months. Looking back, it was pretty easy. Just watched a gang of youtubes to find what was consistently true and ran wit it. Feels good to say i got good credit. And it happened way faster than I expected.

I hit a goal today and wanted to share wit somebody. Pulled my credit score out the sewer. Went from 500 to 755 in 6 months. Looking back, it was pretty easy. Just watched a gang of youtubes to find what was consistently true and ran wit it. Feels good to say i got good credit. And it happened way faster than I expected.
Good **** man. Starting to see that credit can both be lost and gained easily. Just gotta be vigilant.

I'm a few points away from 8 hunnid, low-key proud of myself.

Wow had no idea AE worked like that depending on the card you have. A charge card seems very dangerous if you're not on top of your ****.

Yep. Charge cards can be dangerous. AMEX was sending me offers after six months of paying off BCP on time. I still didn't pull the trigger for awhile, but the benefits worked out for me, based on work and lifestyle. Also, it keeps all my CC action in one place. Not trying to juggle multiple CC companies.

What's some of the main things you did? I need to do this.. I started building my credit when I was 19-20 and was on top of it for years but had some financial trouble and completely messed everything up now my scores like 5-550ish somewhere in there and it's almost made me depressed. I hate even looking at my credit score anymore but I've been trying to get back on it now that I got my finances In order again. I actually used to get a rush kinda and made me happy knowing I was always paying those bills on time building that credit but if you get behind it's a **** show sometimes.

'Increase your limit' is basically out (because of COVID) as of right now rite??
Tryna get rid of a annual fee on a CC, willing to close it if I could get my other CCs up there.

Back
Top Bottom