24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Just my advice:
I look at credit karma approval rating.
if your score is above like a 650 and you have income and no bad marks on your report. Imo i figure that a pass.

Most of the cards I have I just got through credit karma..

I second that. Credit karma isn’t 100% accurate but it’s a good gauge on things. I’d look to see which cards you have excellent approval rating for on there.

Applied online and they just called to “verify” some info. Is that legit? Should I call back?

YO WTF... i accidentally had my credit utilization go down to 0%....my credit dropped 67 points... is this how its supposed to be? I have $60k available credit btw

Just my advice:
I look at credit karma approval rating.
if your score is above like a 650 and you have income and no bad marks on your report. Imo i figure that a pass.

Most of the cards I have I just got through credit karma..

Sounds good, but more times than not it's all marketing with CK. They have partners who hire them to drive traffic over to them. The approval rating can be nice and you can still be denied due to DTI, inquiries, etc. Experian service is free 99 and super solid.

Sounds good, but more times than not it's all marketing with CK. They have partners who hire them to drive traffic over to them. The approval rating can be nice and you can still be denied due to DTI, inquiries, etc. Experian service is free 99 and super solid.
True that! I need to check out experian service.
It's like those mailed to residence you're approved letters, but more advanced in ways.

There’s a couple new BofA cards with $200 bonuses after spending 1000
They offered to upgrade of my cards to a new one with no credit check or anything , I got the $200
Now I just signed up for the other one

It'll even out no worries

This doesn’t help him if he’s searching for credit now. :lol:

YO WTF... i accidentally had my credit utilization go down to 0%....my credit dropped 67 points... is this how its supposed to be? I have $60k available credit btw

Yea conventional thinking has always suggested that 0% utilization isn’t optimal for the various FICO models.

From what I’ve read there are thresholds that pertain to both individual card and total credit utilization and the first threshold is 8.9%. Anything > 0 and under 8.9% is better than 0%.

I broke 800 on my Experian but Credit Karma has my 2 others around 750. Historically I’ve always seen my Credit Karma lower than it actually is when I do things like pull a loan for a vehicle. I wonder if that’s the case here.

I broke 800 on my Experian but Credit Karma has my 2 others around 750. Historically I’ve always seen my Credit Karma lower than it actually is when I do things like pull a loan for a vehicle. I wonder if that’s the case here.

CK is using a pretty old scoring system that most lenders don't so I wouldn't worry about it at all, or wonder about it.

So I got a decent shot at actually having an 800 all around?

It's definitely strong, but my point is don't let Credit Karma be your goal post. It's great for updates to your report rather it be paid off accounts, inquires, etc, but scoring purposes nah. Just pay Experian $15-$20 a month to view your reports for all 3 bureaus and obtain solid scoring IMO.

Got about 10 inquires due to car shopping a couple years ago that's gonna finally fall off first week of July.

Just cleared all my CC debt.

Got about 6 cards but the highest CL is only $900

Need a big boy card to bump that utilization

I bank with Chase and TD and my car loan is with Chase.

Any suggestions on what card to apply for after everything reports zero?

Looking for a fairly simple card with some rewards, 10K CL, and little to no annual fee
u just got out of CC debt and u want to jump right back in?

a "big boy card" is not what bumps uti. take the total amount of the line of credit available and stay under 10%

don't chase (no pun) high CL, higher CL means they're just a longer rope to hang yourself

make sure ur statement balance is not zero and pay in full before the actual due date

i put all my bills on CC. one bill per card. do not chase % points, u will never win that game

high opening bonus is where its at, but do not apply if u can't cover the min req

do not buy stuff u don't need to cover the min req. rookie mistake

Just pay Experian $15-$20 a month to view your reports for all 3 bureaus and obtain solid scoring IMO.
what why?

i can see hawking on ur score if u got a hard pull pause coming (CC/loan/car/house/refi)

do u get a prize for hitting the 800+ score?
745-850 gets the same rates
no chick (or anyone but u) cares if u got 800 score
no one cares if u got good cred

CC is only for bills/gas
90% of muricans carry CC debt
ur playing a fixed game, don't try to get too fancy

Last edited:
what why?

i can see hawking on ur score if u got a hard pull pause coming (CC/loan/car/house/refi)

do u get a prize for hitting the 800+ score?
745-850 gets the same rates
no chick (or anyone but u) cares if u got 800 score
no one cares if u got good cred

CC is only for bills/gas
90% of muricans carry CC debt
ur playing a fixed game, don't try to get too fancy

And monitor any changes to your reports. Bruh it ain't about a contest to hit 800, TF :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom