42... New movie about Jackie Robinson

That dodging base line has been taken out of the trailer as of recent (on television).

Noticed this as well, and am glad they did. Song was nice, but cross-referenced with Jackie? Slap in the face.

Will be watching it Friday.

Yall should kno by now that Hollywood dont care about movies wit blacks as the maun character, let alone a psotive black man. u see Red Tails got no love as far as support. Let the story be about Babe Ruth and youll get their blood flowin.

all in all, def a openin weekend movie fo me. waitin on a Clemente movie too

Stop it.

Anyways, early reviews have been pretty damn good.

Will watch friday.

Yall should kno by now that Hollywood dont care about movies wit blacks as the maun character, let alone a psotive black man. u see Red Tails got no love as far as support. Let the story be about Babe Ruth and youll get their blood flowin.

Red Tails was a GARBAGE movie period :x

The whole story of the tuskegee airmen was played out and done a lot better by the HBO produced movie that came out in 95.

This movie though I have low expectations for it and think it's going to fail to live up to the HYPE.

I'm only going to see it because I got a free movie voucher for it when I bought MLB 13 The Show for the PS3.

Chadwick Boseman (Main Character in 42). His older sister was my after school teacher in 6th grade. She passed away in 2011, gotta go see it, in memory of her.

R.I.P Ms. Boseman...

Stop it.

Anyways, early reviews have been pretty damn good.

Will watch friday.

So I'm lyin. U tellin me all these movies w/ a cast full of white ppl that get all this praise and awards would get as much if it were a black cast? If Tyler Perry was white he would get just as much flack for his movies right? Ok, u right. I digress

not sure if srs.

I father, I Brooklyn Dodger them
I jack, I rob, I sin
Aww man, I'm Jackie Robinson (JACKie ROB..I..SIN)
'Cept when I run base, I dodge the pen (as in bullpen and jay z is known for not writing his songs. Triple entendre)

:rofl:

Hearing a Jay Z song and seeing LeBron James' name during the trailer is an absolute joke. Both of them have nothing to do with baseball or Jackie so **** that BS

I'll stream this one. Cast doesn't look strong at all. I love baseball though so I gotta see it. Excited to see some of the old jerseys too

So I'm lyin. U tellin me all these movies w/ a cast full of white ppl that get all this praise and awards would get as much if it were a black cast? If Tyler Perry was white he would get just as much flack for his movies right? Ok, u right. I digress

What the hell are you talking about seriously
You are just trying to bring racism into the thread

Got a free ticket for this movie when I bought The Show 13. Gonna be forever alone at the movies. :smokin

going to see it. visuals look dope and i want to see how they placed the old stadiums and such. huge fan of the jewel box style parks which ebbets field was one of. 

Last edited:
I'm surprised someone like Spike Lee didn't take on this project. I think two of his kids are named after Negro league baseball players. I'll probably watch when it comes on DVD.

I'm surprised someone like Spike Lee didn't take on this project. I think two of his kids are named after Negro league baseball players. I'll probably watch when it comes on DVD.

He was attached in the 90's with Denzel and Robert Redford set to star and it drug on through developmental hell so we end up with 42

This movie kinda makes me mad because Jackie deserves better, I knew the second I heard Jay Z in the trailer what this movie was gonna be.

^ repped stillin...I remember hearing about this back in the day, right after Girl 6 dropped. 

42 hasn't been screened for critics widely and has no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes 6 days before the release which makes me think the studio doesn't have faith that the movie is actually good
That most likely is not the case.  You guys have to remember that not alot of people really want to be reminded about this particular time or before in American history, as far as direct racism, segregation, colored only entrances and things of the sort.  In addition to a black person rising above those challenges and succeeding.  People tend to usually crap on those type of topics or stories being talked about like that.  

We all should know that TV and movies have a heavy influence whether we want to admit it or not.  My take on the matter is that if 42 was open to reviews that people would talk bad about the movie even if it were good to discourage people from seeing it.  Like I said earlier, some people don't want to be reminded about how bad they were or how maybe even people in their own family were to black people back in the day.  That's why you'll get reviews about a movie like "The Help" and stuff like that because that type of movie makes those certain kinds of people FEEL good about themselves where a movie like 42 doesn't.  As the saying goes......."politics as usual"

That most likely is not the case.  You guys have to remember that not alot of people really want to be reminded about this particular time or before in American history, as far as direct racism, segregation, colored only entrances and things of the sort.  In addition to a black person rising above those challenges and succeeding.  People tend to usually crap on those type of topics or stories being talked about like that.  

We all should know that TV and movies have a heavy influence whether we want to admit it or not.  My take on the matter is that if 42 was open to reviews that people would talk bad about the movie even if it were good to discourage people from seeing it.  Like I said earlier, some people don't want to be reminded about how bad they were or how maybe even people in their own family were to black people back in the day.  That's why you'll get reviews about a movie like "The Help" and stuff like that because that type of movie makes those certain kinds of people FEEL good about themselves where a movie like 42 doesn't.  As the saying goes......."politics as usual"

Why wouldn't a movie like 42 make people feel good about themselves? You're watching a film focused on the triumph of Jackie Robinson. If anything, I think people feel as though the idea of the film is good and it will probably turn out to be a decent flick. However, it would be MUCH better served if a director like Spike Lee was somehow associated with the project.

42 hasn't been screened for critics widely and has no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes 6 days before the release which makes me think the studio doesn't have faith that the movie is actually good

VERY good points

Back
Top Bottom