42... New movie about Jackie Robinson

That most likely is not the case.  You guys have to remember that not alot of people really want to be reminded about this particular time or before in American history, as far as direct racism, segregation, colored only entrances and things of the sort.  In addition to a black person rising above those challenges and succeeding.  People tend to usually crap on those type of topics or stories being talked about like that.  

We all should know that TV and movies have a heavy influence whether we want to admit it or not.  My take on the matter is that if 42 was open to reviews that people would talk bad about the movie even if it were good to discourage people from seeing it.  Like I said earlier, some people don't want to be reminded about how bad they were or how maybe even people in their own family were to black people back in the day.  That's why you'll get reviews about a movie like "The Help" and stuff like that because that type of movie makes those certain kinds of people FEEL good about themselves where a movie like 42 doesn't.  As the saying goes......."politics as usual"

Why wouldn't a movie like 42 make people feel good about themselves? You're watching a film focused on the triumph of Jackie Robinson. If anything, I think people feel as though the idea of the film is good and it will probably turn out to be a decent flick. However, it would be MUCH better served if a director like Spike Lee was somehow associated with the project.
cause of all the racism towards jackie thats gonna happen through out the movie.

That most likely is not the case.  You guys have to remember that not alot of people really want to be reminded about this particular time or before in American history, as far as direct racism, segregation, colored only entrances and things of the sort.  In addition to a black person rising above those challenges and succeeding.  People tend to usually crap on those type of topics or stories being talked about like that.  

We all should know that TV and movies have a heavy influence whether we want to admit it or not.  My take on the matter is that if 42 was open to reviews that people would talk bad about the movie even if it were good to discourage people from seeing it.  Like I said earlier, some people don't want to be reminded about how bad they were or how maybe even people in their own family were to black people back in the day.  That's why you'll get reviews about a movie like "The Help" and stuff like that because that type of movie makes those certain kinds of people FEEL good about themselves where a movie like 42 doesn't.  As the saying goes......."politics as usual"

No they screened for sports personalities and not critics because films like this lose money when reviews aren't glowing because the non sports fan won't go see it

The bottom line is the studio cares about profit, there is no morality clause in them not screening until right before release

It was 59% on Rotton Tomatoes as of this morning, this hurts a movie like this

Like Red-Tails, I don't think a lot of folks want to see/support a half-***** effort on trying to portray a critical time during America's history. FWIW, I am in NO WAY saying that 42 is going to be like Red-Tails, but I can understand the apprehension. A biopic on Jackie Robinson DESERVES...yes, I said DESERVES, to be done right.

Why wouldn't a movie like 42 make people feel good about themselves?
Like I said earlier................

"You guys have to remember that not alot of people really want to be reminded about this particular time or before in American history, as far as direct racism, segregation, colored only entrances and things of the sort."
VERY good points
Thank you.
It was 59% on Rotton Tomatoes as of this morning, this hurts a movie like this
Like I said earlier again............

My take on the matter is that if 42 was open to reviews that people would talk bad about the movie even if it were good to discourage people from seeing it.  Like I said earlier, some people don't want to be reminded about how bad they were or how maybe even people in their own family were to black people back in the day.
A biopic on Jackie Robinson DESERVES...yes, I said DESERVES, to be done right.
Agreed.

cause of all the racism towards jackie thats gonna happen through out the movie.

You really believe that? Why didn't the racism towards Ray Charles or Muhammad Ali keep movie-goers from seeing those films?

Like I said before...if you're going to do a biopic or a movie on a critical aspect of American History, do it right.

No one would talk bad about a great movie that properly tells the story of one of the most import African Americans in not just sports but history

What you are saying makes no sense

Last edited:
I'll wait on this until dvd. I don't know how serious y'all all are about the Jay lines, that song is old. I guess some of y'all missed it.

If a movie is good, it will get one or two things: 1) fan acclaim 2) critics praise. A touchy subject such as racism isnt enough to keep people from seeing a good movie.

If a movie is good, it will get one or two things: 1) fan acclaim 2) critics praise. A touchy subject such as racism isnt enough to keep people from seeing a good movie.
THIS.

lol @ people thinking critics want to "hold this movie down" to not be reminded of past mistakes blah blah blah, give me a break 
laugh.gif

Critics discuss movie quality, there are alot of films with strong racial influences (JJs named a few) and no one was bringing up this nonsense then.

I mean....
laugh.gif
 yowza, i think someone even co-signed you too. Gotta love it.

No one would talk bad about a great movie that properly tells the story of one of the most import African Americans in not just sports but history

What you are saying makes no sense
Do you not realize that we are all involved in a systematic play going on in America??  Certain stories in American history or parts of the past, some would rather they not be mentioned or heard about.  Don't be naive champ.
If a movie is good, it will get one or two three things: 1) fan acclaim 2) critics praise.
3) bad reviews--as a means to discourage people from seeing it. 

You really believe that? Why didn't the racism towards Ray Charles or Muhammad Ali keep movie-goers from seeing those films?

Like I said before...if you're going to do a biopic or a movie on a critical aspect of American History, do it right.
thats kinda an apples to oranges thing. the FIRST "black" player in mlb compared to a heavyweight champion not like he was the first black champion or ray the first black singer. In the movie im sure the racism is more extreme than in those movies
Edit: theres more i want to say but dont feel like really typing but i hope ur able to at least get what im TRYING to say.

Last edited:
Do you not realize that we are all involved in a systematic play going on in America??  Certain stories in American history or parts of the past, some would rather they not be mentioned or heard about.  Don't be naive champ.

people love to sling the word naive around so freely.
i think you're going a little overboard.

Last edited:

I know when you start using the word champ in your threads you are losing your sense of credibility

You aren't naive just blinded by your own thoughts which are clearly wrong

So lets say this movie was getting Oscar buzz, widely praised by critics so that would stop people from going to see it? Yup makes sense

I know when you start using the word champ in your threads you are losing your sense of credibility

Nah, I say the word champ to you because I know it gets under your skin and upsets you.  Now, lets get back to the topic at hand............champ.
So lets say this movie was getting Oscar buzz, widely praised by critics so that would stop people from going to see it? Yup makes sense
Where or when did I say if this or any other movie was widely praised by critics that would stop people from going to see it??
Deuce I understand what you are saying man.
Thank you.

You clearly said if it was open to reviews people would talk bad about it to discourage them from seeing.

Guess you didn't say that champ.

LOL the one time Derek Luke should have played a character. Him playing Diddy was hilarious.

You clearly said if it was open to reviews people would talk bad about it to discourage them from seeing.

Guess you didn't say that champ.
Yeah I did, but that's not the same as what you were trying to say what I said which is CLEARLY different champ.  Below is what you wrote................

"So lets say this movie was getting Oscar buzz, widely praised by critics so that would stop people from going to see it?"

Oscar buzz or the movie being widely praised would encourage folks to go see the movie, but again like I said that would not be what certain entities would want, so instead they may or might write bad reviews about the movie to DISCOURAGE people from going to see the movie.  See the difference champ.

Yeah I did, but that's not the same as what you were trying to say what I said which is CLEARLY different champ.  Below is what you wrote................

"So lets say this movie was getting Oscar buzz, widely praised by critics so that would stop people from going to see it?"

Oscar buzz or the movie being widely praised would encourage folks to go see the movie, but again like I said that would not be what certain entities would want, so instead they may or might write bad reviews about the movie to DISCOURAGE people from going to see the movie.  See the difference champ.

Take the L

I mean what if the movie is really bad :lol:
So far the movie has 71 percent on RT.
that's pretty good

Last edited:
Saw a 10:50 showing of 42, and left highly disappointed. Way too Disney-iee of a biopic for my liking. Predictability was evident in a film like this, but it just wasn't done well IMO.

Back
Top Bottom