42... New movie about Jackie Robinson

Caught a 10pm show last night. Left kind of disappointed. Very formulaic. The guy who played Jackie, in my opinion, didn't bring any gravitas to the screen. The movie just seemed very very shallow. I felt like they could have gone much deeper with the story. Also, the reporter did not need to be in the movie, he didn't serve much of a person. Harrison Ford was great though. I also fell in love with the woman that played his wife.

After reading the two reviews of 42 on here from fellow NTers, I think it's safe to say why this movie wasn't screened to critics. Like I said before, I'll probably catch it on DVD...but it's really a shame that a biopic of a historical figure such as Jackie Robinson wasn't done well.

Movie was ok. Wasn't bad but it wasn't what it should have been. Wish they would have spent some serious money and got a talented cast. Harrison Ford was AWFUL. Jackie Robinson wasn't bad, he did ok. Wouldn't recommend it.
Movie felt like a TV movie, something you'd see on TBS or USA

I would love to beat down Mrs. Robinson though :evil:

Last edited:

Agreed. (Ironically, 61* , the Mantle & Maris movie is my favorite baseball film of all time, and it was on HBO. Then again, HBO > TBS/USA).

If you are looking for a feel-good movie, than watch 42. If you are looking for an accurate, well done biopic, skip it.

Then again, how can you even call it feel-good when Branch Rickey said multiple times to Jackie that "baseball is a business", almost getting the feel that he couldn't careless to give Jackie, a black man, an opportunity, but just cared for Jackie, the ballplayer.

Last edited:
Caught a 10pm show last night. Left kind of disappointed. Very formulaic. The guy who played Jackie, in my opinion, didn't bring any gravitas to the screen. The movie just seemed very very shallow. I felt like they could have gone much deeper with the story. Also, the reporter did not need to be in the movie, he didn't serve much of a person. Harrison Ford was great though. I also fell in love with the woman that played his wife.

100% exactly how I felt..

JM

As someone who lived minutes from Ebbets field most of my life I feel like I HAVE to watch this.

I just hope the whole "Hollywood is against positive black movies" crowd goes out in support.

Movie was solid

Movie was ok. Wasn't bad but it wasn't what it should have been. Wish they would have spent some serious money and got a talented cast. Harrison Ford was AWFUL. Jackie Robinson wasn't bad, he did ok. Wouldn't recommend it.

i expected it to be like that. Not surprised.

I feel like visiting his gravesite since he's buried in the cemetery a few blocks from me.

Last edited:
Saw it earlier today, writing my full review as we speak, will post shortly.

Chadwick Boseman looks more like Curtis Granderson then Jackie Robinson

Then why are you arguing so hardbody in here?

My super sweet 16 land rover evoque drivin *** boiii

So because he disagrees, you paint him as some snooty rich snob?

I like how alot of you cry about how people judge you without knowing you and blah blah blah, yet so many of you are quick to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Then why are you arguing so hardbody in here?

My super sweet 16 land rover evoque drivin *** boiii

What are you even trying to argue, it's clear by resorting to insults you don't even know

PS- it's nice out so ill drive the 370

Last edited:
So because he disagrees, you paint him as some snooty rich snob?

I like how alot of you cry about how people judge you without knowing you and blah blah blah, yet so many of you are quick to do the same thing.

People like him are hilarious, angry at the world just looking for a fight

my mom works in a salon and my dad is a mechanic, I got my first job at age 13

Def that rich snob life lol

I thought it was pretty decent....I'd say 6.5/10, some good moments that made you kinda feel uncomfortable and a little pissed...but good lord the little kid was annoying who turned out to be the future pro player :lol: The Writer did seem kind of like a butler but I didn't know he was the first black inductee into the Pro Baseball Writer's Assoc. so that was a nice bit of info I guess...Boseman was solid too for someone I'd never heard of before, I just am happy the baseball scenes were pretty spot on and realistic. I can't stand when movies about or with sports elements have dudes throwing like the guy in that VW Passat commercial. I enjoyed the movie for the most part thought. Not the best writing, acting at some parts but I'd recommend it if anyone was hesitant wasn't bad to me by any stretch

Review: 42
--------------------------

The number 42 signifies something much bigger then Jackie Robinson. The fact that no one is allowed to wear the number in baseball anymore (besides Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera who was grandfathered in after the number was retired) isn’t just a tip of the hat to how great of a player Robinson was. It’s a testament to what he meant to the world, to our culture and then to baseball.

The Jackie Robinson story is one every baseball fan learns when they are young, so it’s odd that it took such a long time to come to the big screen. Spike Lee tried to make the film a few decades ago with Denzel Washington but it never came to fruition. Now fairly unknown Chadwick Boseman dons the Brooklyn Dodgers cap and portrays the first ever African American baseball player in Major League Baseball.

42 tells the tale of breaking the color barrier but more so from the political side of things in the game of baseball and out. Instead of really focusing on the athlete that was Robinson, the film keys on MLB players opposing Robinson and even on his team that wanted nothing to do with him. From petitions by his own teammates to not take the field with him to hotels refusing to service the Dodgers because Robinson was one of their ball players. The main focus of the film is the color issue and everything that came along with that.

In 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) took a stand against prejudice by bringing Robinson into the Dodgers organization. A .350 hitter in the Negro Leagues, Robinson hit the cover off the ball and stole bases all the way to the Major Leagues amidst vile racism from every direction. At first it was Robinson and Rickey against the world, until other Dodgers players took a stand and embraced Robinson not for the color of his skin but for the color of the uniform he wore.

Nicole Beharie plays Rachel Robinson, Jackie’s wife the only stable, comforting stronghold in his life. The spotlight is always on the two of them as their love is keeping them sane with all the hate that is around them. With the only friends of Robinson’s being Rickey, his wife and Wendell Smith (Andre Holland) an African American reporter who will be chronicling Robinson’s journey, he must let his play on the field do the talking as any from his mouth will only add fuel to the fire.

We journey through the minor leagues with Robinson, crowds segregated with colored and white sections, half cheering for Robinson, hailing him as a hero the other booing and hurling racial slurs every time he’s in the on-deck circle. The language throughout the film is crude and harsh, especially when the Dodgers are playing the Phillies and manager Ben Chapman (Alan Tudyk) gets into Robinson’s head by standing outside the dugout yelling every possible racial slur at Robinson.

42 certainly gets the feel down pat, as the game, jerseys, stadiums all feel properly dated. Where the film goes array is with Ford’s performance as Rickey. There is a genuine kinship you feel between he and Robinson but between his “old school” accent and over the top screaming, Ford seems completely out of his element. On top of the misguidance of Ford, there are too many occasions where moments are amplified by cheesy The Natural-like epic music that is really not needed. The triumph is in the story; we don’t need music to be a crutch to enhance the importance of a home run or stolen base.

I did enjoy the small side story of Pittsburgh Courier reporter Wendell Smith who just like Robinson is fighting for equality in baseball and the job force being a colored journalist. He would sit on the third base line with a typewriter on his lap writing his game stories and columns because blacks were not allowed in the press box. He is Rickey’s personally assigned chauffer to Robinson throughout the 1946 and 1947 season as he documents the historic rise and impact of the man who wore 42. Not only does Andre Holland look just like Smith but his performance is great and plays a great sidekick to Robinson.

Boseman fits as Robinson from the body type to the anger he comes across as very comfortable in the role even if he doesn’t look much like Robinson. In fact he looks more like current MLB outfielder Curtis Granderson, but I digress. Boseman’s acting is at his finest during his rage filled encounters with Tudyk on the field and with his own teammates in the locker room. He’s vulnerable but knows if he shows weakness he’ll only experience worse from the bigots in the stands.

Brian Helgeland’s 42 brings to life a Civil War that was fought a million against one until finally the pay off changed history forever. Robinson’s impact on the field is felt as the Dodgers fight for the pennant while the acceptance of teammates like Pee Wee Reese (Lucas Black), Eddie Stanky (Jesse Luken), Ralph Branca (Hamish Linklater), and Kirby Higbe (Brad Beyer) finally arrive. The film is presented in a straightforward manner yet seemingly accurate and beautiful to the eye. It’s a trip through history reminding us why Robinson is so revered, while also teaching those unfamiliar with his story why Robinson meant as much to equal right as he did to the legacy of the game of baseball.

More often then not 42 feels like a made for TV movie then one on the silver screen. It just felt incomplete and didn’t explore enough of Jackie Robinson the great baseball player for my liking. Unfortunately, going forward when we talk about great baseball films, this one won’t be in the conversation.

Rating: C

Don't even like baseball but Mr. Robinson's story is  a must. I love watching important history lessons on the big screen
glasses.gif

Don't even like baseball but Mr. Robinson's story is  a must. I love watching important history lessons on the big screen8)

funny cause i'm the opposite - i like baseball but don't care to see this movie & prefer the history to the movie.
but it looks like a better watch than a lot of stuff

Isn't it funny how different people can be sometimes? total opposites at times.

I agree with you on the films of today. Too many re-makes and lazy writers.

Back
Top Bottom