5 Albums That Should Already Be Considered Classics

Some of those Wu-Tang and East Coast albums that have been named can be taken off the list then cuz clearly those are regional classics. Ain't nobody outside of NY checking for Ironman
roll.gif

Born and raised in the bay area and Ironman hasn't left my car cd rotation for over 5 years. You trippin'.
I mean it is what it is. I'm not talking about your serious hip hop heads though, I'm talking about the average Joe who listens to rap and their hip hop knowledge is confined to what's hot at the time. That's a GOOD majority of hip hop fans.

So my point is that outside of that East Coast corridor, alot of people aren't familiar with or checking for albums like Ironman and the like. Walk around a college campus out here in Texas and ask 10 students to name a single off Ironman. You gonna get alot of :nerd:

But AGAIN, that doesn't NOT make it a classic for the same reason that you East Coasters not hearing a UGK album doesn't make it a classic either. Feel me?

- Preciate it.

3-4? There wasnt that many man. Name these songs.

Title Track
The song with Kid Capri
The song with Foxy Brown
Both bonus joints (I actually REALLY like "Money aint a Thing, but that had dropped on JD's album like 5 months before...By the time HKL came out, money WAS a thing and I had none left to "toss it up")

any conversation regarding Vol 2: Hard Knock Life not being a classic is ludicrous.

I"m gonna hafta disagree. You can go back a few pages, we've all already had this conversation. Vol 2 isn't even the best of the In My Lifetime series...Vol 1 is better.

Hard Knock Life and Vol 3 are Classics idk wth y'all are talking about

Things That U Do
Snoopy Track
S. Carter
Pop 4 Roc
NYMP

Are you really telling me that you like and listen to those songs when you play Vol 3?

And truthfully, I coulda/shoulda added Come and Get Me and Watch Me to that list, but I'll take those tracks over ANY and ALL of the aforementioned songs.

Keepin it 100...Vol 3 definitely one of Jay's worst (solo) albums, only trumped by Kingdom Come and Blueprint 2 (i'll take blueprint 2.1 over Vol 3 though...take out the bs filler and BP2 had some potential).

3-4? There wasnt that many man. Name these songs.
Title Track
The song with Kid Capri
The song with Foxy Brown
Both bonus joints (I actually REALLY like "Money aint a Thing, but that had dropped on JD's album like 5 months before...By the time HKL came out, money WAS a thing and I had none left to "toss it up")
Que? Are we talking about Hard Knock Life? The biggest single of his career? One of the catchiest songs ever? Its Like That is a great song too, I dont like Foxy Brown AT ALL so I will cosign that.
Hard Knock Life and Vol 3 are Classics idk wth y'all are talking about
Things That U Do
Snoopy Track
S. Carter

Pop 4 Roc
NYMP

Are you really telling me that you like and listen to those songs when you play Vol 3?

And truthfully, I coulda/shoulda added Come and Get Me and Watch Me to that list, but I'll take those tracks over ANY and ALL of the aforementioned songs.

Keepin it 100...Vol 3 definitely one of Jay's worst (solo) albums, only trumped by Kingdom Come and Blueprint 2 (i'll take blueprint 2.1 over Vol 3 though...take out the bs filler and BP2 had some potential).
Snoopy Track was my favorite song on that album when I was a kid. Snoopy Track is fire. S.Carter was dope too,.

The only song on that list I might skip is Pop 4 ROC. I didnt like Things That You Do when I was little but it grew on me once I got older. I agree with the BP2 comment, its mostly the fault of The Gift, not the Curse. Theyre seperate albums in my book.

Volume 3 definitely is not one of his worst albums. It was the perfect blend of commercial and street rap and the only album that comes close to having that widespread appeal of his is BP3. By which I mean every song has the potential to be a single, yet still contains "real rap"

On the subject of not labling those albums classics, thats not mean to insult them. I love those albums, the Volume Series is the best rap trilogy of all time, and Volume  One is without a doubt his most under rated album, but I just think there cant be more than 3 of an artists albums than can be put up for "Classic Discussion" and its obvious what his three best albums are so everything else takes a backseat. I'm only speakin in regards to the music, if we factor in things like Cultural Impact Volume 2 is taking one of those spots.

Last edited:
Lol if you don't know the name of the song and have to call it "that one with foxy brown," you yourself can't call it a classic

Que? Are we talking about Hard Knock Life? The biggest single of his career? One of the catchiest songs ever? Its Like That is a great song too, I dont like Foxy Brown AT ALL so I will cosign that.
View media item 250128
Snoopy Track was my favorite song on that album when I was a kid. Snoopy Track is fire. S.Carter was dope too,.

The only song on that list I might skip is Pop 4 ROC. I didnt like Things That You Do when I was little but it grew on me once I got older. I agree with the BP2 comment, its mostly the fault of The Gift, not the Curse. Theyre seperate albums in my book.

Volume 3 definitely is not one of his worst albums. It was the perfect blend of commercial and street rap and the only album that comes close to having that widespread appeal of his is BP3. By which I mean every song has the potential to be a single, yet still contains "real rap"

On the subject of not labling those albums classics, thats not mean to insult them. I love those albums, the Volume Series is the best rap trilogy of all time, and Volume  One is without a doubt his most under rated album, but I just think there cant be more than 3 of an artists albums than can be put up for "Classic Discussion" and its obvious what his three best albums are so everything else takes a backseat. I'm only speakin in regards to the music, if we factor in things like Cultural Impact Volume 2 is taking one of those spots.

HA! Well played with the GIF (is that what you call those things?) from Street is Watching.

Yes, "Hard Knock Life" is probably Jay's biggest single, but that's because of the crossover success...Album (single) sales, and thus impact on mainstream America, has nothing to do with quality of a song or album. Usually, for me, things that do well in sales (white america buys it up) is usually garbage (Shout to Nicki Minaj, Soulja Boy, Vanilla Ice, etc). I know a lot of people love this single...that's cool...again, not knocking anyone's opinion, but I'm not a fan of that song.

We can agree to disagree about Snoopy Track...if you like that song thne you like that song...not knocking you, just not my thing

But I'm not going to put a limit on how many classic artists an emcee can make...

I thought we already been thru this...

Jay-Z has 3 classics. Vol 2 is not one of them

camron purple haze , 50 grodt , the eminem show , maybe its only a miami thing but trick daddy book of thugs , games documentary was a classic from day one , game had everyone in miami bumping that cd i can only imagine new york / cali .

we in the mixtape era and times & music change and i can think of a FEW mixtapes that are classics and possibly better than some classic albums

HA! Well played with the GIF (is that what you call those things?) from Street is Watching.

Yes, "Hard Knock Life" is probably Jay's biggest single, but that's because of the crossover success...Album (single) sales, and thus impact on mainstream America, has nothing to do with quality of a song or album. Usually, for me, things that do well in sales (white america buys it up) is usually garbage (Shout to Nicki Minaj, Soulja Boy, Vanilla Ice, etc). I know a lot of people love this single...that's cool...again, not knocking anyone's opinion, but I'm not a fan of that song.

We can agree to disagree about Snoopy Track...if you like that song thne you like that song...not knocking you, just not my thing

But I'm not going to put a limit on how many classic artists an emcee can make...

This is how I'm looking at it for the moment.

Okay if we are talking HipHop Rap

East 99
400 Degrees
Hard Knock Life
Dark and Hell is Hot
Ghetto D
College Drop Out
Dark & Hell is Hot
Trap Musik
College Drop Out
Thug Motivation 101
The Cool
Graduation
BluePrint
American Gangster
Take Care
Good Kid Maad City
Aquimini

If you dont agree with 90% of this list, you dont listen to hiphop at all...

any conversation regarding Vol 2: Hard Knock Life not being a classic is ludicrous.
I"m gonna hafta disagree. You can go back a few pages, we've all already had this conversation. Vol 2 isn't even the best of the In My Lifetime series...Vol 1 is better.
vol 1 was PISS POOOOOR follow up to reasonable doubt.. no way its

classic.

vol. 2 redeemed jay-z.

Are there still people who don't consider GRODT a classic. Even if you don't like it you have to understand the impact and magnitude of that album and what it did for the entire Hip-Hop world and how it changed the game. It's funny to me how people are saying it should be a classic like it already isn't.
I don't see how that album changed the game,  what he was rapping about on that album wasn't no different than Pac,Jay,Biggie,& Snoop had already did
laugh.gif

NYC was 50 cent's playground when get rich or die tryin dropped...

son was da rap lebron, son had a HUGE BUZZ and he met and EXCEEDED

expectations.

Illmatic

2014 is going to be 20 years since it dropped I believe and it still can't be touched.

It sounds better than anything that came out in the last 10 years.

But this thread is about new classics so I'm going with Scarface "The Fix".
with that said it was written still sounds better to me so its

a classic by da default.

came in expecting to see MBDTF in OP
left disappointed

best album to come out since 2010

srs

Last edited:
East

Illmatic
Hell on earth
The war report
36 chambers
Capital punishment

West:

Doggystyle
The Chronic
The Documentary
GKMC
Strictly For My N****s

vol 1 was PISS POOOOOR follow up to reasonable doubt.. no way its

classic.

vol. 2 redeemed jay-z.
And this makes the album bad? How many of his albums would have been regarded as "a satisfactory follow up to Reasonable Doubt"? Three of them? This is why I say Volume One is his most under rated album, people are quick to slander it for that reason.

laugh.gif

NYC was 50 cent's playground when get rich or die tryin dropped...

son was da rap lebron, son had a HUGE BUZZ and he met and EXCEEDED

expectations.
Never doubt his buzz was big cause it was but i don't see how it changed the rap game

Back
Top Bottom