ADIDAS X YEEZY COLLAB OFFICIAL 2016 THREAD - (NO LC PICS PLEASE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.complex.com/sneakers/201...eakerstw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

​The Kanye West x adidas  line is here to stay. On Wednesday morning, the brandwent public  with details of a long-term relationship with West that will include the creation of sneakers, apparel, gear, and retail stores for his Yeezy  line. The new partnership between the two will form an entity called "adidas + KANYE WEST."

The polymath entertainer reflected on the success of what he's created so far with adidas while looking toward what's next.

"These past two years adidas and Yeezy have given a glimpse into our future," West said, via press release. "This partnership illustrates that anyone with a dream can dream without limitations."

According to adidas, the new relationship will extend the scope of West's influence beyond just lifestyle product—the adidas + KANYE WEST imprint will also contribute on performance designs. Adidas CMO Eric Liedtke commented on this new direction.

[h3]RELATED[/h3]
"With adidas + KANYE WEST we are exploring new territories by opening up the sports world to Kanye's creativity," he said. "This is what adidas has always been about, empowering creators to create the new."

West signed his initial adidas deal in late 2013 after a series of public denouncements of Nike, the sportswear brand he was previously aligned with. He also courted adidas in 2006, but a deal never materialized from those conversations.

The first Kanye West x adidas product to release was the adidas Yeezy 750 Boost in February 2015.

There were sportswear industry rumors circulating in 2015 that West wanted out of his adidas deal. This news from the brand rejects that notion, establishing a deeper and more permanent relationship between the two.

Just like the Gildan shirts show, if an unlimited amount are made eventually even Kanye items will sit

smokin.gif

this is going to be the real test for adidas and kanye.

can the yeezy brand stand and prosper without exclusivity and the hype that comes with that? will yeezy become a mainstream line? Can it remain relevant for the long term?

find out next time on Dragon Ball Z

I feel bad for resellers, good cause it's very hard to get a pair, with all that greed that goes on

Did you read the P4k article? They announced YEEZY retail stores. What do you think they're going to stock?
I expect them to mostly stock clothing. Especially with them pursuing the nba and sportswear. 

If they release the shoes in stores only through yeezy retail stores, it does not necessarily mean that they will produce more pairs.

Maybe the situation will improve, but I don't get my hopes up. Adidas can not afford to make yeezys available for everyone. They need the hype 

I expect them to mostly stock clothing. Especially with them pursuing the nba and sportswear. 

If they release the shoes in stores only through yeezy retail stores, it does not necessarily mean that they will produce more pairs.

Maybe the situation will improve, but I don't get my hopes up. Adidas can not afford to make yeezys available for everyone. They need the hype 

You are absolutely right about Adidas needing the hype but I have two words for you:

Diffusion line

Literally almost every major fashion house has one of these and economics has shown it is a way of reaching a bigger (and younger market) while generating massive revenue to reinvest back into your high-end lines/brands to keep your brand value up.

Adidas could easily have a diffusion line for Yeezy (call it "YZY"?) a la Armani Exchange (GA), Versus (Versace), Marc by Marc Jacobs (MMJ), etc. as this business model has been proven to work as long as the flagship line has already been established.

Last edited:

this is going to be the real test for adidas and kanye.

can the yeezy brand stand and prosper without exclusivity and the hype that comes with that? will yeezy become a mainstream line? Can it remain relevant for the long term?

find out next time on Dragon Ball Z
roll.gif

in my opinion, unless Kanye is really being open to adidas creatively and allows them to help make a shoe with more mainstream appeal, i think in the long term theres going to be issues. As much as i think the 350's are a great shoe, i doubt the current yeezy x adidas releases would move if they were made in lets say air max 90 numbers. Hows he going to attract the mom that buys shoes for her kids at sears, or the dad that rocks the classic air monarch? Theres only a finite number of people that wear skinny jeans with the knees ripped and with a t-shirt on top of a longer t-shirt under neath a bomber jacket and the resellers who sell to them. or maybe he's not trying to attract them at all. who knows. 

You are absolutely right about Adidas needing the hype but I have two words for you:

Diffusion line

Literally almost every major fashion house has one of these and economics has shown it is a way of reaching a bigger (and younger market) while generating massive revenue to reinvest back into your high-end lines/brands to keep your brand value up.

Adidas could easily have a diffusion line for Yeezy (call it "YZY"?) a la Armani Exchange (GA), Versus (Versace), Marc by Marc Jacobs (MMJ), etc. as this business model has been proven to work as long as the flagship line has already been established.
I totally agree with you. 

I would be surprised if the neon yellow pair isn't part of the diffusion line. 

I wonder if those rumors about Kanye wanting to leave Adidas were true.. I bet he was very upset that they were trying to pull a lot of the same stuff Nike had pulled with him (limiting releases, etc.) and they made him look like a liar when he said "everyone will get Yeezys." Hell, Kim evem gave away one of his own pairs to someone who tweeted at her when his order was cancelled due to lack of stock. This news made me think that Adidas realized how important he was to the brand and losing him would be a BIG mistake.

I wonder if those rumors about Kanye wanting to leave Adidas were true.. I bet he was very upset that they were trying to pull a lot of the same stuff Nike had pulled with him (limiting releases, etc.) and they made him look like a liar when he said "everyone will get Yeezys." Hell, Kim evem gave away one of his own pairs to someone who tweeted at her when his order was cancelled due to lack of stock. This news made me think that Adidas realized how important he was to the brand and losing him would be a BIG mistake.
whatever it is adidas is doubling down now. hopefully itll pay off for them

in my opinion, unless Kanye is really being open to adidas creatively and allows them to help make a shoe with more mainstream appeal, i think in the long term theres going to be issues. As much as i think the 350's are a great shoe, i doubt the current yeezy x adidas releases would move if they were made in lets say air max 90 numbers. Hows he going to attract the mom that buys shoes for her kids at sears, or the dad that rocks the classic air monarch? Theres only a finite number of people that wear skinny jeans with the knees ripped and with a t-shirt on top of a longer t-shirt under neath a bomber jacket and the resellers who sell to them. or maybe he's not trying to attract them at all. who knows. 

This news also signifies that he is going into performance sneakers.. I could see Adidas signing athletes under the Yeezy line like Nike did by signing athletes like Melo and RW under the Jordan Brand line.

Overall, this is good business practice since it diversifies the brand but they are still operating with Adidas past experience in the performance sneaker market. I 100% agree that ultimately the designs will make/break the brand though but I would venture to guess that Adidas already know this and have paid top designers to address this point.

Let's not pretend that a bunch of people on here, who have taken Ls on Kanye-branded shoes for years, wouldm't buy a Team Yeezy shoe for retail, if given the opportunity.

This news also signifies that he is going into performance sneakers.. I could see Adidas signing athletes under the Yeezy line like Nike did by signing athletes like Melo and RW under the Jordan Brand line.

Overall, this is good business practice since it diversifies the brand but they are still operating with Adidas past experience in the performance sneaker market. I 100% agree that ultimately the designs will make/break the brand though but I would venture to guess that Adidas already know this and have paid top designers to address this point.
i never doubted adidas ability to make a great performance shoe. the question is will Kanye himself allow them to do so? 

when i was in school i took some engineering design classes. and one thing i learned is that theres a reason why many cars of the same class across different brands resemble each other is because as time goes on certain things become standard, like the best air bag placement, the best bumper size and overall shape, or the best contours on the body, lighting and all that. manufacturers keep those standards in mind while designing their cars. I think the same goes for shoes, specifically performance shoes. unless kanye has already familiarized himself with all those things I dont think he could come up with a design on his own that would meet the standards for a performance shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom