African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

From the Black Culture Thread

Why can't you be pro-black and marry a white woman, and when you say "build your life around" what do you mean by that?

Please know that as much as I see the cons, I see the pros of this your views. I would also have a better understanding of your stance if you felt the same way about black women getting w/ other. It's just lopsided and a bit hypocritical to me.

If you asked me if preferred to start a family w/ a black woman, I'm gonna say yes b/c they're my idea of beauty. That's what I grew up seeing. It was either Halle Berry, Amil, or Thandie Newton that I remember having my 1st celebrity on. But what about uhhhh James who grew up around predominately white ppl, can you fault him for romantically engaging w/ a white woman. What if James develops a strong sense "pro-blackness" while being with said white woman that just so happens to be the love of his life who supports him on his journey and isn't problematic in the process? Can he not be pro-black? Hell, can she not be pro-black?

There are many black people and in this case black women who aren't "pro-black," so wouldn't it be more of a hinderance to build with than over a pro-black white woman that u aren't w/ out of things like self-hate or fetish, but out of a genuine attraction?

So many questions lol

1) Build your life around means - build a life WITH. I'm assuming we all like women in here and want to get married and start a family if you dont already?

2) In Brooklyn alone where I live there is 100,000 more adult black women than adult black men. Mass Incarcertation and the fact that black women are more educated than black men means that its very hard for a black woman to find a black man that is her equal. Its just math dude. For every 5 black women there are 3 black men. So obviously 2 black women WONT be able to find a black man. Therefore, I sympathize with black women who has NO CHOICE to marry a non black man.

3) James growing up in a predominately white area and chooses to settle down with a white woman. Im happy for him that he found true love lol, HOWEVER, he isnt someone I want to talk black consciousness and black politics with.

4) To piggyback off the James thing, I have a homeboy that married a non black chick when he was like 19, we are both now 34 and over the past 15 years he has become more "pro-black" as time went on. Do I expect him to divorce his wife and go marry a black women? No of course not, thats just silly.

5) Dude I am attracted to all types of women, that doesnt mean I want to MARRY one. Find someone attracted isnt the same as MARRYING If I now choose at 34 with the knowledge I have of this world and go marry a white woman or Asian I am NOT Pro-Black.

6) No non-black person can be Pro-Black. They can sympathize with our struggle (ie Jane Elliot, Bernie Sanders, etc) however YOU GOTTA BE BLACK TO BE PRO-BLACK.

I hope I answered all your questions. Goodbye and take care

my definition is of pro-black is alot more simple. if your goals and actions align with facilitating the empowerment of black people and their ability to move, live, and exist in this world freely and unencumbered by white supremacy or any oppression for that matter, youre pro black. thats going to look like a lot of different things for a lot of different people. for some, its creating a black family, for others its creating programs for black people, financing black businesses, being a black historian, being a lawyer and advocating for peoples rights and the list can go on indefinitely. id much rather everyone find their own unique way to be "pro black" to make sure youve got an advocate in every aspect of life as opposed to everyone following one predefined path. For some people the most important/impactful thing do for the community is create a black family, for someone else it may not be getting married at all and dedicating their lives to empower others.

all that said, theres antiblackness in fetishizing non black women (and black women for that matter). but thats where i draw the line. if youre dating outside your race because you think black women are inferior. or because youve got some fetish thats a completely different story. but id argue thats not the case for alot of people that support the black community. im not going to devalues someones commitment to black people based on who they marry if their works and actions speak otherwise. an aint sh*t black person married to a non black person that does nothing for the community is equally as bad as the aint sh*t black person married to another black person that doesnt do anything for the community. i dont split hairs there

Last edited:
frenchbreadbuilds frenchbreadbuilds I would like to add that the MOST important thing you could do (not saying its the ONLY important thing) to show commitment to the cause is marrying a black woman.

I will debate that until the end of time

frenchbreadbuilds frenchbreadbuilds I would like to add that the MOST important thing you could do (not saying its the ONLY important thing) to show commitment to the cause is marrying a black woman.

I will debate that until the end of time

im not saying thats untrue, i just dont think thats the case for every black man. some peoples most important contribution for black people will be how they impact and change the world and the communities they live in. thats bigger than any one family unit. Ive said it before but Byron Allens court case with comcast is one of those things that could change black business forever. that will forever outweigh who ever his wife is today or tomorrow. Listening to his 3 hour interview on the Karen Hunter show told me more than enough about how this man moves in spaces where black people historically havent allowed access. ulitmately we can agree to disagree but im okay with disagreeing on that because we clearly both want whats best for black women.

but ultimately i dont judge anyones commitment to black people or whether or not they are pro black by JUST who they fall in love with and marry regardless of their wife's race. i care about what the fruit of your actions are, theyll speak to whos committed to what. i get where youre coming from but I just know too many people busting their a**es for black people that are either single/unmarried, LGBT, or in an interracial relationship to discredit their efforts simply for not falling into that narrow category.

Last edited:

Moors = a member of a northwestern African Muslim people of mixed Berber and Arab descent. In the 8th century they conquered the Iberian peninsula, but were finally driven out of their last stronghold in Granada at the end of the 15th century.

Moors is not a race. Moors came in all colors - thier region was extremely vast and included many different shades of humans.

"The term is of little use in describing the ethnic characteristics of any groups, ancient or modern. From the Middle Ages to the 17th century, however, Europeans depicted Moors as being black, “swarthy,” or “tawny” in skin colour. (Othello, Shakespeare’s Moor of Venice, comes to mind in such a context.) Europeans designated Muslims of any other complexion as “white Moors,” despite the fact that the population in most parts of North Africa differs little in physical appearance from that of southern Europe (in Morocco, for example, red and blonde hair are relatively common). "

Propaganda = The people that conquored Europe were Black.

Fall of Moors in Europe

In 1085 Alfonso VI of Leon and Castile recaptured Toledo. Cordoba fell in 1236, and one by one the Moorish strongholds surrendered. The last Moorish city, Granada, was captured by Fernidad V and Isabella I in 1492. Most of the Moors were driven from Spain, but two groups, the Mudejares and Moriscos, remained.

On 2 January 1492, the leader of the last Muslim stronghold in Granada surrendered to the armies of a recently united Christian Spain (after the marriage of Ferdinand II of Aragón and Isabella I of Castile, the "Catholic Monarchs".

Here is what that Muslim (Abu `Abdallah Muhammad XII) leader looked like:

El_rey_chico_de_Granada.jpg

What else happened in 1492?

Also - its imprtant to note that by the 1480s, Portuguese ships were already transporting Africans for use as slaves on the sugar plantations in the Cape Verde and Madeira islands in the eastern Atlantic. Spanish conquistadors took African slaves to the Caribbean after 1502, but Portuguese merchants continued to dominate the transatlantic slave trade for another century and a half, operating from their bases in the Congo-Angola area along the west coast of Africa. The Dutch became the foremost slave traders during parts of the 1600s, and in the following century English and French merchants controlled about half of the transatlantic slave trade, taking a large percentage of their human cargo from the region of West Africa between the Sénégal and Niger rivers.

The Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire, also known as the Spanish–Mexican War, was one of the primary events in the Spanish colonization of the Americas. There are multiple 16th-century narratives of the events by Spanish conquerors, their indigenous allies, and the defeated Aztecs.

Dates: Feb 1, 1519 – Aug 23, 1527

Probably no more than a few hundred thousand Africans were taken to the Americas before 1600. In the 17th century, however, demand for slave labour rose sharply with the growth of sugar plantations in the Caribbean and tobacco plantations in the Chesapeake region in North America. The largest numbers of slaves were taken to the Americas during the 18th century, when, according to historians’ estimates, nearly three-fifths of the total volume of the transatlantic slave trade took place.

Fast Forward:

Vicente_Ramon_Guerrero_Saldana.jpg

Vicente Guerrero was born in the small village of Tixla in the state of Guerrero. His parents were Pedro Guerrero, an African Mexican and Guadalupe Saldana, an Indian. Vicente was of humble origins. In his youth he worked as a mule driver on his father’s mule run. His travels took him to different parts of Mexico where he heard of the ideas of independence. Through one of these trips he met rebel General Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon. In November 1810, Guerrero decided to join Morelos. Upon the assassination of Morelos by the Spaniards, Guerrero became Commander in Chief. In that position he made a deal with Spanish General Agustin de Iturbide.

Iturbide joined the independence movement and agreed with Guerrero on a series of measures known as “El plan de Iguala.” This plan gave civil rights to Indians but not to African Mexicans. Guerrero refused to sign the plan unless equal rights were also given to African Mexicans and mulattos. Clause 12 was then incorporated into the plan. It read: “All inhabitants . . . without distinction of their European, African or Indian origins are citizens . . . with full freedom to pursue their livelihoods according to their merits and virtues.”

Subsequently, Guerrero served in a three person “Junta” that governed the then independent Mexico from 1823-24, until the election that brought into power the first president of Mexico Guadalupe Victoria. Guerrero, as head of the “People’s Party,” called for public schools, land title reforms, and other programs of a liberal nature. Guerrero was elected the second president of Mexico in 1829. As president, Guerrero went on to champion the cause not only of the racially oppressed but also of the economically oppressed.

Guerrero formally abolished slavery on September 16, 1829. Shortly thereafter, he was betrayed by a group of reactionaries who drove him out of his house, captured and ultimately executed him. Guerrero’s political discourse was one of civil rights for all, but especially for African Mexicans. Mexicans with hearts full of pride call him the “greatest man of color.”

Not for nothing, the sentiments towards people of darker skin can be traced back to the Europeans who conquored South America.

Depsite the fact that one of thier greatest liberators was the son of an enslaved African.

Moors = a member of a northwestern African Muslim people of mixed Berber and Arab descent. In the 8th century they conquered the Iberian peninsula, but were finally driven out of their last stronghold in Granada at the end of the 15th century.

Moors is not a race. Moors came in all colors - thier region was extremely vast and included many different shades of humans.

"The term is of little use in describing the ethnic characteristics of any groups, ancient or modern. From the Middle Ages to the 17th century, however, Europeans depicted Moors as being black, “swarthy,” or “tawny” in skin colour. (Othello, Shakespeare’s Moor of Venice, comes to mind in such a context.) Europeans designated Muslims of any other complexion as “white Moors,” despite the fact that the population in most parts of North Africa differs little in physical appearance from that of southern Europe (in Morocco, for example, red and blonde hair are relatively common). "

Propaganda = The people that conquored Europe were Black.

Fall of Moors in Europe

In 1085 Alfonso VI of Leon and Castile recaptured Toledo. Cordoba fell in 1236, and one by one the Moorish strongholds surrendered. The last Moorish city, Granada, was captured by Fernidad V and Isabella I in 1492. Most of the Moors were driven from Spain, but two groups, the Mudejares and Moriscos, remained.

On 2 January 1492, the leader of the last Muslim stronghold in Granada surrendered to the armies of a recently united Christian Spain (after the marriage of Ferdinand II of Aragón and Isabella I of Castile, the "Catholic Monarchs".

Here is what that Muslim (Abu `Abdallah Muhammad XII) leader looked like:

El_rey_chico_de_Granada.jpg

What else happened in 1492?

Also - its imprtant to note that by the 1480s, Portuguese ships were already transporting Africans for use as slaves on the sugar plantations in the Cape Verde and Madeira islands in the eastern Atlantic. Spanish conquistadors took African slaves to the Caribbean after 1502, but Portuguese merchants continued to dominate the transatlantic slave trade for another century and a half, operating from their bases in the Congo-Angola area along the west coast of Africa. The Dutch became the foremost slave traders during parts of the 1600s, and in the following century English and French merchants controlled about half of the transatlantic slave trade, taking a large percentage of their human cargo from the region of West Africa between the Sénégal and Niger rivers.

The Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire, also known as the Spanish–Mexican War, was one of the primary events in the Spanish colonization of the Americas. There are multiple 16th-century narratives of the events by Spanish conquerors, their indigenous allies, and the defeated Aztecs.

Dates: Feb 1, 1519 – Aug 23, 1527

Probably no more than a few hundred thousand Africans were taken to the Americas before 1600. In the 17th century, however, demand for slave labour rose sharply with the growth of sugar plantations in the Caribbean and tobacco plantations in the Chesapeake region in North America. The largest numbers of slaves were taken to the Americas during the 18th century, when, according to historians’ estimates, nearly three-fifths of the total volume of the transatlantic slave trade took place.

Fast Forward:

Vicente_Ramon_Guerrero_Saldana.jpg

Vicente Guerrero was born in the small village of Tixla in the state of Guerrero. His parents were Pedro Guerrero, an African Mexican and Guadalupe Saldana, an Indian. Vicente was of humble origins. In his youth he worked as a mule driver on his father’s mule run. His travels took him to different parts of Mexico where he heard of the ideas of independence. Through one of these trips he met rebel General Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon. In November 1810, Guerrero decided to join Morelos. Upon the assassination of Morelos by the Spaniards, Guerrero became Commander in Chief. In that position he made a deal with Spanish General Agustin de Iturbide.

Iturbide joined the independence movement and agreed with Guerrero on a series of measures known as “El plan de Iguala.” This plan gave civil rights to Indians but not to African Mexicans. Guerrero refused to sign the plan unless equal rights were also given to African Mexicans and mulattos. Clause 12 was then incorporated into the plan. It read: “All inhabitants . . . without distinction of their European, African or Indian origins are citizens . . . with full freedom to pursue their livelihoods according to their merits and virtues.”

Subsequently, Guerrero served in a three person “Junta” that governed the then independent Mexico from 1823-24, until the election that brought into power the first president of Mexico Guadalupe Victoria. Guerrero, as head of the “People’s Party,” called for public schools, land title reforms, and other programs of a liberal nature. Guerrero was elected the second president of Mexico in 1829. As president, Guerrero went on to champion the cause not only of the racially oppressed but also of the economically oppressed.

Guerrero formally abolished slavery on September 16, 1829. Shortly thereafter, he was betrayed by a group of reactionaries who drove him out of his house, captured and ultimately executed him. Guerrero’s political discourse was one of civil rights for all, but especially for African Mexicans. Mexicans with hearts full of pride call him the “greatest man of color.”

Not for nothing, the sentiments towards people of darker skin can be traced back to the Europeans who conquored South America.

Depsite the fact that one of thier greatest liberators was the son of an enslaved African.
Good stuff here. I assume you're correlating Moors w/ Latino's b/c of how they're confused racially & ethnically?

Good stuff here. I assume you're correlating Moors w/ Latino's b/c of how they're confused racially & ethnically?

Thanks Bro!

More so to show how the lies of the conqueror become the truth of the conquered.

The Europeans were culturally conditioned by thier masters (the Church) to hate Black Moors while never having much to say about White Moors - even though the Moors themselves made no such distinctions amongst themselves.

Even the lies about the Muslim slave trade.

Muslims did not enslave Africans because they were Black. Muslims enslaved non-Muslims (in accordance with Sharia - Law, with rights to payment and eventual freedom) no matter what thier skin color. Even Asains were enslaved by Muslims...

Romans were no different.

The concept of "white" and "black" is a European creation borne out of the desire for wealth and power.

Thanks Bro!

More so to show how the lies of the conqueror become the truth of the conquered.

The Europeans were culturally conditioned by thier masters (the Church) to hate Black Moors while never having much to say about White Moors - even though the Moors themselves made no such distinctions amongst themselves.

Even the lies about the Muslim slave trade.

Muslims did not enslave Africans because they were Black. Muslims enslaved non-Muslims (in accordance with Sharia - Law, with rights to payment and eventual freedom) no matter what thier skin color. Even Asains were enslaved by Muslims...

Romans were no different.

The concept of "white" and "black" is a European creation borne out of the desire for wealth and power.
Don't say that too loud in here! You know that they think that racism has always existed, especially here on NIkeTalk. (Those who need to learn what racism actually is, wont even click on to this thread anyway. It's too racial.)

When Diodorus Siculus first showed up in Egypt, he called the Egyptians Black, however in description, not as an identity. Black as an Identity did not come along, until what Present has brought forth to this discussion.

You think this'll ever reverse?

Probably - as soon as Aliens reveal thier existance and the lesser evolved of us have something new to fear.

Tribalism is in our DNA as humans and the notion of race combined with the willful ignorance and conscientious stupidity needed to maintain that idea = people will fight to their deaths to maintain it.

In their minds their very existence depends on the concept of Race and Racism.

Matter of fact it may not even be in their minds…

Tribalism + Lack of Empathy = Racism?

“Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have approximately 2 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have none, or very little Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia.”

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

Neanderthals were all but wiped out before humans ventuerd out of Africa.

My personal view is that surviving Neanderthal DNA matters...it wants to survive like any other organism, however it reveals itself as different no matter how many generations pass.

Empathy is within the range of human beings.

Perhaps Neanderthals were incapable of such which is why they were dying out in the first place.

Probably - as soon as Aliens reveal thier existance and the lesser evolved of us have something new to fear.

Tribalism is in our DNA as humans and the notion of race combined with the willful ignorance and conscientious stupidity needed to maintain that idea = people will fight to their deaths to maintain it.

In their minds their very existence depends on the concept of Race and Racism.

Matter of fact it may not even be in their minds…

Tribalism + Lack of Empathy = Racism?

“Everyone living outside of Africa today has a small amount of Neanderthal in them, carried as a living relic of these ancient encounters. A team of scientists comparing the full genomes of the two species concluded that most Europeans and Asians have approximately 2 percent Neanderthal DNA. Indigenous sub-Saharan Africans have none, or very little Neanderthal DNA because their ancestors did not migrate through Eurasia.”

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/

Neanderthals were all but wiped out before humans ventuerd out of Africa.

My personal view is that surviving Neanderthal DNA matters...it wants to survive like any other organism, however it reveals itself as different no matter how many generations pass.

Empathy is within the range of human beings.

Perhaps Neanderthals were incapable of such which is why they were dying out in the first place.
It is going to be really interesting when spirituality is tied into all of this, and who we are as people of color in the grand scheme of things.

Human

Hue-Man

hue
/(h)yo͞o/
noun

1. a color or shade.

Dont get me banned KHUFU KHUFU

Starting to get real in here!
I think that we are more than capable of discussing this in a fashion that is not only real, but informative, no matter if those who may be offended about Black matters like it or not.

5B41F288-87F0-4C3D-A5DD-0EE795FE2DC1.jpeg

So why aren’t black men marrying sisters at such a low rate compared to them marrying us? 🤷🏾‍♂️
Misogyny, anti blackness, white supremacy. Men and women aren’t positioned equal in society and that’s just as true in the black community as it is in the white. im on record saying multiple times that black men should be checking for black women first if you’re conscious and understand what the dating landscape looks like for black women. What that doesn’t mean though is that if you’re doing that and don’t end up with a black woman that your concern, care, and contributions to black People are suddenly null and void. If marrying outside requires you to skeptical of someone’s actions that’s understandable, but if that person is working to make black peoples lives better than who is anyone to question their commitment to their people? Like I said before, there are some people who’s greatest contribution to the black community will be having a black family because that’s what they can do in the space they’re in, but that does not have to be the case for everyone especially if the their work and contributions to the community speak for themselves.

...The worst outcomes are concentrated in the lowest education group, but signs of damaging trends can be seen through all educational levels. Prior to 1999, mortality rates of white Americans were declining by 2 percent each year, on average.

"The anxiety of whites is coming from a misperception that their dominant status in society is being threatened, which is manifesting in multiple forms of psychological and physiological stress," said Siddiqi, who also holds an academic appointment at the Gillings School of Global Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

These psychological and physiological stressors are resulting in more "deaths of despair"—due to alcohol consumption, opioid use, drug overdose and suicide—and, to a lesser extent, rising chronic disease, including hypertension and obesity, according to the study. This widespread decline in health status is actually consistent with—and may even reinforce—a despair-based explanation for worsening white health, explains Siddiqi.

"Status is a major predictor of health so our team hypothesized that it was a perception among whites that Blacks are economically catching up to them, when, in fact, income inequality and other socioeconomic factors continue to affect Black Americans more unfavorably," said Siddiqi.

Another important finding uncovered by Siddiqi and her research team is the association between rising white mortality and a growing share of Republican voters. From 2000—when white mortality started to rise—to 2016, their country-level calculations suggests there was an increase in the proportion of Republican voters.

The 2016 presidential election illuminated a growing sense of a racial threat being experienced by white Americans and survey data show that voting for Trump was associated with anxieties about growing racial diversity within the U.S., and an increase in the interdependence of the U.S. with a broader globalizing world.

"With the very real rise in economic instability over the last several decades, we'd expect mortality rates to rise in the most socioeconomically disadvantaged groups of all races," said Siddiqi.

"But this is not the case. Instead we're seeing a striking reversal among working-age whites, which seems to be driven principally by anxiety among whites about losing social status to Blacks, even in the absence of evidence, which is a newly identified population health phenomenon that requires further research."

haven't been in this thread like that due to life...
came back and the thread is lit. lets go.

24A499AD-E820-424F-A402-12FAEFD3AC2F.jpeg

Oprah is the WORST
If you knew of some of the 'ish that Simmons has gotten away with? You'd change your opinion about what Oprah is doing here. Russell Simmons isn't someone that you'd want to go to bat for, and is someone who is on the record for calling Donald Trump his Nword. Nah' Simmons ain't that dude, and I am certain that Oprah knows it.

If you knew of some of the 'ish that Simmons has gotten away with? You'd change your opinion about what Oprah is doing here. Russell Simmons isn't someone that you'd want to go to bat for, and is someone who is on the record for calling Donald Trump his Nword. Nah' Simmons ain't that dude, and I am certain that Oprah knows it.

I never took it as going to bat for Simmons or Jackson so much as calling Oprah out for using her platform in a biased fashion. If youre going to go after the black men then why not the white men...if in fact your concern is the victim(s).

One begins to wonder what the motivations are and who is really calling the shots here.

Back
Top Bottom