African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

Bruh!

Nana Amuah-Afenyi VI is Bartels' new title, but she is better known as King Peggy. This straight-talking, 57-year-old is the first woman in her fishing community of 7,000 people in Ghana's Central Region to be anointed a king, or "nana."

"King" Petty is an INFORMAL TITLE.

Nana simply means "your highness"...

Sheesh!

Mans trying to maximize the minimum.

We talking about a village of 7K people...not a country, a village.

Also Nana ≠ King

What does Nana mean in Ghanaian?

Your Highness

In Ghana, one can respectfully refer to a King or Queen as Nana without mentioning their full name; much like using "Your Highness". In India, nana means father in Telugu language.

The concept of a "King" is absent in a lot of cultures. The title of this movie is to emphasize that this woman is the supreme leader and commander. And only weak insecure men would find this troubling. Lets just rid ourselves of male and female titles if thats what you want? :lol: :rofl:

Honestly the title king has become meaningless. Ive seen the bums that call themselves king. Probably the same type of people upset by this movie.

Yeah, It piqued my interest cause I saw a brief clip of the trailer a few months back and was wondering if it was about Queen Nzinga or if it was about the Dahomey kingdom. If the latter, then I want to see their spin on it. If they are going to show the real truth(which is unlikely) or do some spin to show them in a different light and further confuse our people.
Movies like that should open up the audience mind about lesser known historical events.

Nobody bats an eye when other cultures take wild liberties with their mythologies and histories. We enjoy them for what they are, works of fiction. Why can't we do the same with our own stories? Why does every movie have to be a documentary, when there are plenty of historians who publish the real history of those peoples?

Movies like that should open up the audience mind about lesser known historical events.

Nobody bats an eye when other cultures take wild liberties with their mythologies and histories. We enjoy them for what they are, works of fiction. Why can't we do the same with our own stories? Why does every movie have to be a documentary, when there are plenty of historians who publish the real history of those peoples?
The keyword that you used was "mythologies". We are talking about a real historical event/ time frame that took place here. Not some made up story about Zeus and the Titans. Hell, other historically inaccurate films get crazy criticism. Look at most films involving Robert the Bruce. At least Braveheart showed the treachery within the Scottish ranks and how some of the nobles sold out their own people. We don't need to further disorientate and confuse our own people. If that's the case, we doing their work for them.

BRUH!

This is who black folks learning their "Real World African history" from?

Whole time our actual history in our own country being stripped from academia because the truth = a "theory"?

MV5BMjEyNDA3NDEwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzI3OTI4._V1_UY317_CR16,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Veteran executive and Academy Award® winning producer Cathy Schulman began her career in film in 1987 and is currently the President and CEO of Welle Entertainment, a film and television production company committed to producing content that appeals to diverse audiences, with an emphasis on women and girls. Welle is a leading content supplier and producer for major motion picture studios, networks, and streamers.

Schulman was the President of Women in Film from 2007-2018. She is the cofounder of Reframe, the industry's leading systemic change project, where she established the ReFrame stamp, which recognizes productions that are making strides towards female-driven content, gender equality, and representation of women in key production roles. And as a top spokesperson for gender parity issues in media, Schulman designed the multi-year Annenberg School gender data project, introduced Unconscious Bias Training to Hollywood and established the WIF sexual harassment hotline.

Schulman is a decade-long Board Member of Film Independent and has served as a Council Member of the Producers Guild of America. She is a member of the AMPAS and has taught graduate level film producing at UCLA and Chapman, where she was awarded an Honorary Doctorate. Schulman gave the 2016 media address for International Woman's Day at the United Nations. She is a graduate of Yale University, with a double major in Theater Studies and History of Art.

"ReFrame" indeed. :smh::lol:

IMHO - Our ancestors / African history and culture has no business becoming ammo for a white woman's " female-driven content, gender equality, and representation of women".

But for those that want to enjoy themselves at the movies / support the project I aint mad.

Just keep in mind "For entertainment purposes only" vs falling victim to agendas and propaganda.

Last edited:
The keyword that you used was "mythologies". We are talking about a real historical event/ time frame that took place here. Not some made up story about Zeus and the Titans. Hell, other historically inaccurate films get crazy criticism. Look at most films involving Robert the Bruce. At least Braveheart showed the treachery within the Scottish ranks and how some of the nobles sold out their own people. We don't need to further disorientate and confuse our own people. If that's the case, we doing their work for them.
I said mythologies AND histories.

People shouldn't look to movies to get a comprehensive understanding of past events because they tend to be much more complex than what movies can cover. That's what historians are for.

Nobody watches Gladiator or 300 for their historical accuracy. The Assassin's Creed series tell fictional tales with historical characters in real life settings. I don't just don't see the problem with entertaining audiences with African-based epics.

People shouldn't look to movies to get a comprehensive understanding of past events because they tend to be much more complex than what movies can cover. That's what historians are for.

Nobody watches Gladiator or 300 for their historical accuracy. The Assassin's Creed series tell fictional tales with historical characters in real life settings. I don't just don't see the problem with entertaining audiences with African-based epics.

"The Woman King will tell one of history's greatest forgotten stories from the real world in which we live"

BRUH!

This sentence was definitely written by a team of lawyers with lawyers. :lol:

BRUH!

Whole time our actual history in our own country being stripped from academia because the truth = a "theory"?

Veteran executive and Academy Award® winning producer Cathy Schulman began her career in film in 1987 and is currently the President and CEO of Welle Entertainment, a film and television production company committed to producing content that appeals to diverse audiences, with an emphasis on women and girls. Welle is a leading content supplier and producer for major motion picture studios, networks, and streamers.

Schulman was the President of Women in Film from 2007-2018. She is the cofounder of Reframe, the industry's leading systemic change project, where she established the ReFrame stamp, which recognizes productions that are making strides towards female-driven content, gender equality, and representation of women in key production roles. And as a top spokesperson for gender parity issues in media, Schulman designed the multi-year Annenberg School gender data project, introduced Unconscious Bias Training to Hollywood and established the WIF sexual harassment hotline.

Schulman is a decade-long Board Member of Film Independent and has served as a Council Member of the Producers Guild of America. She is a member of the AMPAS and has taught graduate level film producing at UCLA and Chapman, where she was awarded an Honorary Doctorate. Schulman gave the 2016 media address for International Woman's Day at the United Nations. She is a graduate of Yale University, with a double major in Theater Studies and History of Art.

IMHO - Our ancestors / African history and culture has no business becoming ammo for a white woman's " female-driven content, gender equality, and representation of women".

But for those that want to enjoy themselves at the movies / support the project I aint mad.

Just keep in mind "For entertainment purposes only" vs falling victim to agendas and propaganda.
We gotta always remember there have been some white people that gave their lives for our causes

She's probably the person that had to help get the gate unlocked so the film could get done
Black women killing white men isn't your typical box office hit

But yes its absolutely for entertainment only

We gotta always remember there have been some white people that gave their lives for our causes

She's probably the person that had to help get the gate unlocked so the film could get done
Black women killing white men isn't your typical box office hit

But yes its absolutely for entertainment only

I don't trust them folk Fam.

Too much bad history of white folks involving themselves in our culture / gatekeeping narratives.

Spike Lee would never.

I don't understand why you're trying to spin it as if people have issues with African based stories.

They are telling a historical event and advertising it as a true story, but from what it appears, they've rewritten the narrative.

My issue is the deception and knowing that most people aren't going to dig further and look beyond the movie. They will take it for what it is and regurgitate it as fact.

This is problematic because much of our history isn't told. And now when you're telling it, the narrative has changed.

I'm not expecting them to fit every detail within the movie, but they shouldn't misrepresent the history of it.

Maybe you like the deception, but I don't.

Speaking of history, it seems a lot of people are confused about the true history of white women / feminism as it relates to Black folks in this country.

I don't trust them folk and (contrary to their reasons) it has nothing to do with skin color.

The truth is good enough for me.

I see both sides.
I am all for the most historically accurate stories about our people
BUT
Hollywood is an entertainment based industry and all films (to an extent) have a romanticized storyline and plot.
In addition to the entertainment aspect of it, movies get made upon success of others of the same theme/topic: Black people massively going to the theater to see this movie (in addition to support a great Black artist and woman, aka Viola Davis) will make them know there's an interest, hence market, in this lane.
Heck, it might even force them to be more accurate and truth based, if that's what the people want and consume.
Wakanda can't be the only canvas for Black people

I highly recommend reading, King Peggy: An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village.

As I've read, The Woman King will have Viola's character opposed to continuing the slave trade, and instead encouraging them to trade in palm oil.

As most movies do, they are playing with the time line, as the Agojie did not advocate for the end of the slave trade until after the time the movie is set in.

They say that it is inspired by historical events, but fictionalized.

Why does Black stuff have to be perfect to be supported?

BRUH!

just say you hate women bro lol

:lol:

e3ddca3087d4265857f12827652d0ac5.gif

Not that its any of my business layziegunts but are you a feminist?
no, I don't consider myself one, but I do recognize that patriarchy and misogyny is a real issue women have to face (particularly BLACK women), I'm not waking up everyday fighting women. I dont think you're as bad as some other dudes though.

We gotta remember history hasnt been that kinda to women (particularly BLACK women) and its not like its 1950 when women were essentially our property, so we gotta understand why the femenist movement is important.

I will say this and I have to keep repeating this, black men are messed up, black women are messed up. We cant keep pointing our fingers at black women and they cant keep pointing their fingers back to us, we all just need healing as a race thats all.

no, I don't consider myself one, but I do recognize that patriarchy and misogyny is a real issue women have to face (particularly BLACK women), I'm not waking up everyday fighting women. I dont think you're as bad as some other dudes though.

We gotta remember history hasnt been that kinda to women (particularly BLACK women) and its not like its 1950 when women were essentially our property, so we gotta understand why the femenist movement is important.

I will say this and I have to keep repeating this, black men are messed up, black women are messed up. We cant keep pointing our fingers at black women and they cant keep pointing their fingers back to us, we all just need healing as a race thats all.

IJS the feminist movement aint none of Black folks business IMHO.

Not back then and not now.

Black women are the ones pointing their fingers at us and the biggest issue with that is they are doing it based on a narrative created by the people that hate us AND hate them

When growing up I never heard any black men saying there are no good black women out there
Or looking down on a black woman because she didn't have a college degree

On the other hand we've been subjected to all of that type of degradation and disrespect

Fellas I will say this "BLACK WOMEN ARE NOT OUR ENEMIES" and I want to tell this to a room of black women "BLACK MEN ARE NOT YOUR ENEMIES", its in a similar vein of pettiness like "African Americans vs Africans/Caribbeans"

we have bigger issues to solve together, than this petty small infighting with one another. Im just over it.

Fellas I will say this "BLACK WOMEN ARE NOT OUR ENEMIES" and I want to tell this to a room of black women "BLACK MEN ARE NOT YOUR ENEMIES", its in a similar vein of pettiness like "African Americans vs Africans/Caribbeans"

we have bigger issues to solve together, than this petty small infighting with one another. Im just over it.
Too late homie

They've integrated black women into the corporate structure and made them the top income earner in our race

They know we're not the enemy, but they've been brainwashed to believe we're the problem

I'm happily married to a HBCU educated black woman so I'm good, but I cant help but notice that the divide is widening instead of shortening

Back
Top Bottom