All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

Just bumping this because I'm bored and want to talk about baseball. Nothing major.

- Antonetti expects payroll to go from $49 million to $70 million heading into 2012.

- There is interest in Jason Kubel again. No thanks.

- They will visit with/work out prize Cuban defector, Yoenis Cespedes. No way he stays in their price range.

- For whatever reason, there was talk of them pursuing a 34-year-old pitcher from Japan who wasn't even remotely good over there before this past season.

- They signed a 17-year-old Venezuelan catcher about two weeks ago.

- The Indians are on Scott Boras' schedule at these general manager meetings going on. Hopefully/probably about Carlos Pena.

I'm still pretty optimistic about either he or Casey Kotchman and B.J. Upton being on this team.

Just bumping this because I'm bored and want to talk about baseball. Nothing major.

- Antonetti expects payroll to go from $49 million to $70 million heading into 2012.

- There is interest in Jason Kubel again. No thanks.

- They will visit with/work out prize Cuban defector, Yoenis Cespedes. No way he stays in their price range.

- For whatever reason, there was talk of them pursuing a 34-year-old pitcher from Japan who wasn't even remotely good over there before this past season.

- They signed a 17-year-old Venezuelan catcher about two weeks ago.

- The Indians are on Scott Boras' schedule at these general manager meetings going on. Hopefully/probably about Carlos Pena.

I'm still pretty optimistic about either he or Casey Kotchman and B.J. Upton being on this team.

So out of nowhere, it sounds like Sizemore will be back on a one-year deal.
grin.gif

I like that Grady is coming back for another year, but not for the money we plan on giving him (close to 6 mil).
Honestly, I think Grady is returning because he'll be staying with the same medical team that pretty much know everything about his knees. He'll try and rehab it here, than leave the following season..
grin.gif

But on that note, everybody is pretty much returning - that hasn't happened in quite some time...
pimp.gif

I like that Grady is coming back for another year, but not for the money we plan on giving him (close to 6 mil).
Honestly, I think Grady is returning because he'll be staying with the same medical team that pretty much know everything about his knees. He'll try and rehab it here, than leave the following season..
grin.gif

But on that note, everybody is pretty much returning - that hasn't happened in quite some time...
pimp.gif

I can't imagine that he'll get $6 million. Well, guaranteed, at least. I would guess $3 or $4 million with incentives that he probably won't reach.

The amount means little to me. I don't want him back, regardless. Even if he is completely healthy (LOL), his elite speed has left him anyway, he still can't hit lefties and he's still going to strike out once a game on average.

Trading for Derek Lowe, bringing back Sizemore's corpse and signing someone like 36-year-old Derrek Lee will not be an acceptable offseason.

I can't imagine that he'll get $6 million. Well, guaranteed, at least. I would guess $3 or $4 million with incentives that he probably won't reach.

The amount means little to me. I don't want him back, regardless. Even if he is completely healthy (LOL), his elite speed has left him anyway, he still can't hit lefties and he's still going to strike out once a game on average.

Trading for Derek Lowe, bringing back Sizemore's corpse and signing someone like 36-year-old Derrek Lee will not be an acceptable offseason.

SATURDAY, 9:50am: Paul Hoynes of The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the one-year deal would include a low base salary and incentives that could push the total value to $9MM, the same amount as the option the Indians declined after the season. Hoynes also mentions that the two sides discussed a deal like this before the option decision was made.
This all just sounds like both parties being afraid to move on. The Indians looked around, Sizemore looked around, and they're back with each other, deciding to suffer through one more year together.

SATURDAY, 9:50am: Paul Hoynes of The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the one-year deal would include a low base salary and incentives that could push the total value to $9MM, the same amount as the option the Indians declined after the season. Hoynes also mentions that the two sides discussed a deal like this before the option decision was made.
This all just sounds like both parties being afraid to move on. The Indians looked around, Sizemore looked around, and they're back with each other, deciding to suffer through one more year together.

5 million..before incentives?

I'd have offered like 1.5

he's just going to get hurt and play 75 games and hit .240

5 million..before incentives?

I'd have offered like 1.5

he's just going to get hurt and play 75 games and hit .240

Names being linked to the Indians recently:

Casey Blake (seriously)
Mark DeRosa  (still serious)
Josh Willingham
Casey Kotchman

Names being linked to the Indians recently:

Casey Blake (seriously)
Mark DeRosa  (still serious)
Josh Willingham
Casey Kotchman

Add Kevin Kouzmanoff to that list.

One interesting name that could come up is Gaby Sanchez. If the Marlins were to sign Albert Pujols, they would probably make him available. Productive right-handed bat, decent power, under control for four more years.

Add Kevin Kouzmanoff to that list.

One interesting name that could come up is Gaby Sanchez. If the Marlins were to sign Albert Pujols, they would probably make him available. Productive right-handed bat, decent power, under control for four more years.

Nothing much going on today.

Teams have been called about (C.) Perez. Can't see him going anywhere if all the White Sox got for Sergio Santos was a good, not great pitching prospect who some see as a future reliever.

The Pujols fallout is what I'm watching for most. The Indians would have to make a play for Sanchez if it happens.

Edit: And as I post that, Jon Morosi tweets that Derrek Lee, Ryan Ludwick, Andruw Jones and Mike Cameron are on the team's radar.

Back
Top Bottom