All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

laugh.gif
not surprising.

So fake Fausto was paying the real Fausto hush money but the real Fausto outed the fake Fausto when he wouldnt up the payment amounts.

So fake Fausto was paying the real Fausto hush money but the real Fausto outed the fake Fausto when he wouldnt up the payment amounts.

I've been on hiatus for like a month, but I feel obligated to run down everything that has happened now that I'm back.

Signings:

Jeremy Accardo
Willy Lebron
Fred Lewis
Julio Lugo
Gregorio Petit
Chris Ray
Chris Seddon
Ryan Spilborghs
Robinson Tejeda
Dan Wheeler

All of them were minor league deals, most of them included Spring Training invites and only a few of them really have a chance at breaking camp with the Indians (one of Accardo, Ray and Wheeler, and either Lewis or Spilborghs). I really like those five in particular, though. You have to field a Triple-A roster, too (as we well know).

Internal big league camp invites:

Austin Adams (starter)
Hector Ambriz (reliever who you guys probably remember from two years ago)
Chun Chen (catcher)
Chad Huffman (outfielder)
Chen Lee (reliever)
Tyler Sturdevant (reliever)

Chen and Lee are especially exciting. Chen could be the catcher that pushes Santana to first base full-time (in 2013), and Lee will definitely see time in Cleveland at some point this year (maybe even from the start).

Lindor named the 32nd best prospect in baseball by Jonathan Mayo. As I expected, the system as a whole has been near the bottom of most lists.

Arbitration was interesting. $16,110,000 for Choo, Hannahan, Masterson, C. Perez and Smith was fine, but Cabrera and R. Perez remain unresolved. The team hasn't had a player go to a hearing in like 20 years, so that's different.

As far as Fausto goes, I honestly have very little ill will towards him for it. He did what he had to do to get signed and create opportunities for himself and his family. Sure, it kind of sucks for the team now, but I'll almost never knock that. It sure does explain a lot about his career, though. He was actually in his prime when he was good, and now he's spiraling downward at 31. He may never pitch in the Majors again. Visa issues are super complicated as it is, but when you've been convicted of falsifying information? Smart money says there are a number of others in the league that have done this and not got caught yet. He wasn't the first.

The Indians actually offered Carlos Pena $725,000 more than the Rays, but he wanted to return to Tampa. What can you do?

I like the Kevin Slowey acquisition a lot. I always thought he was mildly underappreciated, and I was never as high on Putnam as most. In all actuality, Slowey could very well be better than Fausto would/will be, anyway. Definitely an improvement over the Columbus trio, I think.

The Tigers signing Prince Fielder might sound like a dagger before a single game is even played, but I'm not ready to admit defeat or anything. The Indians have holes, but so do they. It could realistically come down to who stays healthier. Not to count out the Royals, though, who also worry me plenty.

They kicked the tires on Roy Oswalt. I like him and the idea, but it was probably nothing more than an inquiry.

The relative inactivity by Antonetti and company is somewhat troubling, but it hasn't been for a lack of trying. After my B.J. Upton dream went out the window months ago, I felt pretty sure that it would be a moderate signing (Casey Kotchman) for now, and a big trade splash near the deadline. That sounds about right at this point, too. But I wonder if maybe that big splash won't be for a bat anymore after what has transpired with the Tigers. Maybe they take the opposite approach, try not to match power and focus on bringing in another front of the rotation start and a defender (Kotchman). And anyway, assuming health with the lineup as is, it still can be pretty damn good.

I think that's all I've got for now.
laugh.gif

I've been on hiatus for like a month, but I feel obligated to run down everything that has happened now that I'm back.

Signings:

Jeremy Accardo
Willy Lebron
Fred Lewis
Julio Lugo
Gregorio Petit
Chris Ray
Chris Seddon
Ryan Spilborghs
Robinson Tejeda
Dan Wheeler

All of them were minor league deals, most of them included Spring Training invites and only a few of them really have a chance at breaking camp with the Indians (one of Accardo, Ray and Wheeler, and either Lewis or Spilborghs). I really like those five in particular, though. You have to field a Triple-A roster, too (as we well know).

Internal big league camp invites:

Austin Adams (starter)
Hector Ambriz (reliever who you guys probably remember from two years ago)
Chun Chen (catcher)
Chad Huffman (outfielder)
Chen Lee (reliever)
Tyler Sturdevant (reliever)

Chen and Lee are especially exciting. Chen could be the catcher that pushes Santana to first base full-time (in 2013), and Lee will definitely see time in Cleveland at some point this year (maybe even from the start).

Lindor named the 32nd best prospect in baseball by Jonathan Mayo. As I expected, the system as a whole has been near the bottom of most lists.

Arbitration was interesting. $16,110,000 for Choo, Hannahan, Masterson, C. Perez and Smith was fine, but Cabrera and R. Perez remain unresolved. The team hasn't had a player go to a hearing in like 20 years, so that's different.

As far as Fausto goes, I honestly have very little ill will towards him for it. He did what he had to do to get signed and create opportunities for himself and his family. Sure, it kind of sucks for the team now, but I'll almost never knock that. It sure does explain a lot about his career, though. He was actually in his prime when he was good, and now he's spiraling downward at 31. He may never pitch in the Majors again. Visa issues are super complicated as it is, but when you've been convicted of falsifying information? Smart money says there are a number of others in the league that have done this and not got caught yet. He wasn't the first.

The Indians actually offered Carlos Pena $725,000 more than the Rays, but he wanted to return to Tampa. What can you do?

I like the Kevin Slowey acquisition a lot. I always thought he was mildly underappreciated, and I was never as high on Putnam as most. In all actuality, Slowey could very well be better than Fausto would/will be, anyway. Definitely an improvement over the Columbus trio, I think.

The Tigers signing Prince Fielder might sound like a dagger before a single game is even played, but I'm not ready to admit defeat or anything. The Indians have holes, but so do they. It could realistically come down to who stays healthier. Not to count out the Royals, though, who also worry me plenty.

They kicked the tires on Roy Oswalt. I like him and the idea, but it was probably nothing more than an inquiry.

The relative inactivity by Antonetti and company is somewhat troubling, but it hasn't been for a lack of trying. After my B.J. Upton dream went out the window months ago, I felt pretty sure that it would be a moderate signing (Casey Kotchman) for now, and a big trade splash near the deadline. That sounds about right at this point, too. But I wonder if maybe that big splash won't be for a bat anymore after what has transpired with the Tigers. Maybe they take the opposite approach, try not to match power and focus on bringing in another front of the rotation start and a defender (Kotchman). And anyway, assuming health with the lineup as is, it still can be pretty damn good.

I think that's all I've got for now.
laugh.gif

Arbitration hearings can start being scheduled tomorrow. The Indians can still settle with Cabrera and Perez before it comes to that. I imagine they will.

The Lugo signing fell through. No loss there.

Oswalt refuses to consider Cleveland.

Arbitration hearings can start being scheduled tomorrow. The Indians can still settle with Cabrera and Perez before it comes to that. I imagine they will.

The Lugo signing fell through. No loss there.

Oswalt refuses to consider Cleveland.

Russ Canzler acquired from the Rays for cash considerations.

I don't know much about him, but he's 25, right-handed and put up great numbers in the minors recently. Corner positions guy (infield and outfield), though I imagine he isn't particularly good at any of them. Low-risk, high-reward. He either emerges as a Major League-capable hitter, or helps Columbus immensely.

Edit: His high-level minor league numbers look a lot like LaPorta's (minus the pedigree), so take that for what it's worth.

Russ Canzler acquired from the Rays for cash considerations.

I don't know much about him, but he's 25, right-handed and put up great numbers in the minors recently. Corner positions guy (infield and outfield), though I imagine he isn't particularly good at any of them. Low-risk, high-reward. He either emerges as a Major League-capable hitter, or helps Columbus immensely.

Edit: His high-level minor league numbers look a lot like LaPorta's (minus the pedigree), so take that for what it's worth.

The baseball player Russ Kanzier doesn't show up on the first page of Google when you search 'Russ Kanzier'.

He can't be that good, right?

The baseball player Russ Kanzier doesn't show up on the first page of Google when you search 'Russ Kanzier'.

He can't be that good, right?

Back
Top Bottom