All Things Sports Media Thread!!

Add Andy Katz to the list of names let go.
eek.gif

Damn.

Britt McHenry let go maybe she can get a job with that tow truck company

Was wondering how she survived yesterday's cut. She was chilling in arizona with the cardinals. Is it even necessary to send reporters to the facilities of random teams? josina anderson is in ohio reporting on the browns. I know they got the #1 pick but no one gives an ish about the browns.

This is what I was thinking about when Lebron and Company were spouting off about how the NBA can't do anything about them resting.

Do these layoffs signify something greater such as salary decrease as it relates to future income of professional athletes? I think the answer is Hell yes they do. 

I just found it very stupid for him to make the comments he did, in the way he did and almost without a, you only exist because of us type of attitude.

I'm rambling a bit here but I think the point that I am trying to make is, NBA pay is at it's highest point ever, obviously, and the recent boost is directly from the new TV contracts.

You pull that money altogether and the NBA player contracts sink. Lebron (and company) can brag and remind us with every breath they have that they run the league and it is nothing without them but, when the business model that helped your pay get to where it is takes a hit, and that money goes away, will they be left thinking "I wish we did more to help those ratings stay up, instead we pissed in their face"

Last edited:
If ratings for the nfl and nba games they paid so much to have continue to decline, no doubt the networks will put up lower money offers when the next contracts are up.

If ratings for the nfl and nba games they paid so much to have continue to decline, no doubt the networks will put up lower money offers when the next contracts are up.
That money is going to be significantly less after these contracts expire, significantly.

I'm not so sure about it decreasing a ton, or even at all.

It's a different time now yes but one thing the leagues have been good at is convincing TV companies how much they need their live product. They also can offer side deals to sweeten the pot (i.e. ESPN getting access to NFL highlights than no one else can, etc). In other words, if the ratings are not there in 5 years the NBA and NFL will throw in enough side projects to even it out. And the networks have always been willing partners who pay up and then worry about how to recoup later.

We all know how men on twitter hate the opinionated women on espn, so I was checking the twitter of Elika Sadeghi bae who used to be on espnu and people were tweeting at her how happy they are she won't be on tv anymore thinking she was fired too. She had to remind them her contract expired months ago and she's been off the network. Cute Iranian-American girl with a pretty good chest rocking a Bucci shirt.

View media item 2418246

This is what I was thinking about when Lebron and Company were spouting off about how the NBA can't do anything about them resting.

Do these layoffs signify something greater such as salary decrease as it relates to future income of professional athletes? I think the answer is Hell yes they do. 

I just found it very stupid for him to make the comments he did, in the way he did and almost without a, you only exist because of us type of attitude.

I'm rambling a bit here but I think the point that I am trying to make is, NBA pay is at it's highest point ever, obviously, and the recent boost is directly from the new TV contracts.

You pull that money altogether and the NBA player contracts sink. Lebron (and company) can brag and remind us with every breath they have that they run the league and it is nothing without them but, when the business model that helped your pay get to where it is takes a hit, and that money goes away, will they be left thinking "I wish we did more to help those ratings stay up, instead we pissed in their face"

I've always had that gut feeling that the American professional sports compensation model is not and won't be sustainable, especially when you factor in all of the revenue streams necessary for them to continue to thrive at the rate they are.

Mostly everything in a capitalistic enterprise sits on a bubble that is inevitably bound to lose some of its air or just completely burst altogether.

These layoffs sort of reaffirm my position on that but then again this could all be just much ado about nothing.

Lebron and company could care less, by the time the deal is done they'll be long retired

It's obvious Lebron and company could care less, quite obvious indeed, but that is not the concern I posed, entirely. 

Last edited:
It's obvious Lebron and company could care less, quite obvious indeed, but that is not the concern I posed, entirely. 

My bad...I thought you were talking about how them resting and their "we are in control not you" attitude would affect the NBA and subsequently ratings. Which would eventually lead to the reduction of the contract to broadcast NBA games due to the decreased fan interest in seeing marquee games where the best players don't play.

We all know how men on twitter hate the opinionated women on espn, so I was checking the twitter of Elika Sadeghi bae who used to be on espnu and people were tweeting at her how happy they are she won't be on tv anymore thinking she was fired too. She had to remind them her contract expired months ago and she's been off the network. Cute Iranian-American girl with a pretty good chest rocking a Bucci shirt.
Darn. I always thought she was nice. I like.

I'm not so sure about it decreasing a ton, or even at all.

It's a different time now yes but one thing the leagues have been good at is convincing TV companies how much they need their live product. They also can offer side deals to sweeten the pot (i.e. ESPN getting access to NFL highlights than no one else can, etc). In other words, if the ratings are not there in 5 years the NBA and NFL will throw in enough side projects to even it out. And the networks have always been willing partners who pay up and then worry about how to recoup later.
Also it's not just network TV bidding for these live contracts now.  The streaming services/tech companies are in the game and they have real $$ to throw around.  

what does this have to do with resting?

or anything at all really.

My bad...I thought you were talking about how them resting and their "we are in control not you" attitude would affect the NBA and subsequently ratings. Which would eventually lead to the reduction of the contract to broadcast NBA games due to the decreased fan interest in seeing marquee games where the best players don't play.
It's all good I was mostly rambling in the post with scattered thoughts so it wasn't entirely clear what my point was.

My point was that It is clear to me that TV as a whole is sinking, and a BIG part that allowed names such as Mike Conley to get 250million was the  TV money.

I think this is a bubble, and it just burst. 

So what just happened with ESPN doing layoffs tells me that the money going out isn't being spent "well".

I think when TV viewing is down but the money they just spent was way up (as far as the TV contract), that is a bad investment.

To Cashbanks, what resting has to do with it, to me...is that a lot of the games picked to rest were in those PrimeTime spots, and that surely doesn't help.

(if you can't see that correlation, well I don't know)

So logically, I think you'd be able to see what resting (in those spots specifically) has to do with it, and why it wouldn't sit well with investors and why Lebron's response could have been more, calculated, for his own benefit.

Lebron's response wasn't sympathetic to those investors, it was simply "there is nothing you can do about it".

It's all good I was mostly rambling in the post with scattered thoughts so it wasn't entirely clear what my point was.

My point was that It is clear to me that TV as a whole is sinking, and a BIG part that allowed names such as Mike Conley to get 250million was the  TV money.

I think this is a bubble, and it just burst. 

So what just happened with ESPN doing layoffs tells me that the money going out isn't being spent "well".

I think when TV viewing is down but the money they just spent was way up (as far as the TV contract), that is a bad investment.

To Cashbanks, what resting has to do with it, to me...is that a lot of the games picked to rest were in those PrimeTime spots, and that surely doesn't help.

(if you can't see that correlation, well I don't know)

So logically, I think you'd be able to see what resting (in those spots specifically) has to do with it, and why it wouldn't sit well with investors and why Lebron's response could have been more, calculated, for his own benefit.

Lebron's response wasn't sympathetic to those investors, it was simply "there is nothing you can do about it".
That's true in a broad sense.  i.e.   Huge rights deals = huge salary cap increases= more $$ for players, then when those deals sink ESPN that should trickle down negatively in the same way.

However...  What if players from outside of TV (like the yahoos, googles, apples, etc.) are willing to step in and pick up those rights deals the next time they're up?  Then that will hasten the demise of the sports channels without harming the players.

Back
Top Bottom