All Things Sports Media Thread!!

Nope..

Same thing has been said about any number of former espn employees, who were replaced.. see his ole buddy over at FS1 and the numbers he's getting per show

How'd 'quite frankly' work out for him?
Wasn't this more of a contract dispute than anything though?

ESPN wanted to keep Skip and offered good money, Skip just decided to move on and get paid more at FS1.

Last edited:
Regarding Skip, they just didn't want to pay him the ridiculous amount that FS1 was offering for him when his contract was up. That's a lot different than laying him off.

Ok..

Does that change him going from being the face of that show with SAS playing second fiddle, to now what was being claimed above about SAS?

Because i only mentioned him to reference the perceived position SAS is currently in

Ok..

Does that change him going from being the face of that show with SAS playing second fiddle, to now what was being claimed above about SAS?

Because i only mentioned him to reference the perceived position SAS is currently in
Yeah I mean, my main point is that I agree that he is probably the most recognizable face in sports media and that he is on the channel's now flagship show. With him being under contract, they aren't going to just willingly lay him off. That would be idiotic.....If it becomes a financial issue like it did with Skip, that's an entirely different story. Obviously there will be a next man up.

The flagship show is sportscenter.. and it's the machinery

On the non former athlete or coach front, i'd go with Adam schefter as being more recognizable for espn.. or PTI guys or greenberg.. Le batard could be up there too, because he was on PTI a bunch, has his own show is regularly on sportscenter, anything the U related and was on ballers

mike & mike is huge for the network also, which is way first take is where it is.. mike & mike's audience carried over to that show

Like around the horn benefited from being before PTI

Last edited:
Marc Stein got fired... But Stephen A Smith and Sage Steele still have jobs. This is why you suck espn

SAS might be the most recognizable face in sports media.

And you think he should be fired?

SAS might even be ahead of Mike & Mike when it comes to ESPNs cash cows.

Nope..

Yup. Same thing has been said about any number of former espn employees, who were replaced.. see his ole buddy over at FS1 and the numbers he's getting per show

How'd 'quite frankly' work out for him?

Lebatard has said it multiple times, he advises people to stay at espn if they can because it does give you the most visibility and is one of the biggest brands in sports. People forgot sas existed when he was off the network for a few years, those were great years. sas is a clown and doesn't provide anything to the network except acting a fool. All the good insight he thinks he provides is provided by other people and way better. He may be a very recognizable face but does that mean people want to see him on tv?

Last edited:
Sporscenter is a thing of the past. The only ones that do somewhat well are the 6AM slot, where people turn it on as they are getting ready for work, and then the 11PM/12AM ones when they come on directly after a game and before people go to sleep.

First Take is consistently in ESPN's top 5 most viewed shows, despite having by far the worst timeslot out of the other shows in that top 5. With the viewership numbers it puts up, I would say yes, people do want to see Stephen A on tv. PTI and Around The Horn are always going to be in the top 5 because of their slot.

Mike & Mike are their flagship RADIO show. The TV show gets less than half of the viewership of First Take.

SAS is a great "character"

Like I've time and time again, you guys have no idea how to watch ESPN [emoji]128514[/emoji]

You guys want XOs breakdown coverage but tune into FT and get mad at SAS.

They have shows for you but that ain't it.

Its not SAS fault you dont get the show.

Sporscenter is a thing of the past. The only ones that do somewhat well are the 6AM slot, where people turn it on as they are getting ready for work, and then the 11PM/12AM ones when they come on directly after a game and before people go to sleep.

First Take is consistently in ESPN's top 5 most viewed shows, despite having by far the worst timeslot out of the other shows in that top 5. With the viewership numbers it puts up, I would say yes, people do want to see Stephen A on tv. PTI and Around The Horn are always going to be in the top 5 because of their slot.

Mike & Mike are their flagship RADIO show. The TV show gets less than half of the viewership of First Take.
Well said.

Nah, I get that he's a buffoon. He fits in with the trend of acting a fool and any attention is good attention. I will admit that Lebatard's radio show laughing at first take is an entertaining segment.

@JimMiller Another @nba reporter has been let go -- more room for arrival of @WojVerticalNBA & @TheVertical to @espn this summer. #ESPNLayoffs
Not that I think Woj saw this coming with his arrival, but that's a lot of incoming heat.

My brother put the channel to espn earlier and was cursing at the tv. sportscenter was talking about joe mixon again and he was mad saying he didn't want to hear that crap again and that's the reason espn sucks.

They talk about the same stuff over, and over, and over, and over etc. Like they try to force you to change the channel. He put it onto a Spanish language channel playing Transporter 3 btw.

Last edited:
Not sure where this should go, so I will post it here. Good old school interview.

Arsenio Hall: Michael Jordan

Watch "Michael Jordan  "LARRY IS THE DIRTIEST PLAYER IN THE NBA" - Interview 1990" on YouTube

I wonder if the NBA peeps that got axed are all looking at Woj and his crew sideways now. It seems like that's pretty much why they're all being let go :lol:

roll.gif
 "some crushed ice and a splash of cola"

Back
Top Bottom