Allen Iverson came through Turkey with that rock star swag.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

laugh.gif
@ the phillypac reference... what happened to the dude? He moved to Turkey too?

How else is he gonna play in turkey shun?

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

No different than David Beckham or Thierry Henry coming to play in America...As basketball keeps expanding as a world sport we'll see this a lot more often.. Good for AI he'll be treated a lot better over there then he will be here.
Wrong. Beckham's and A.I's circumstances are not the same when you really look at them. A.I had plenty of chances, his stupidity landed him in the situation he is in right now.
 Dude fell off. FACT

No different than David Beckham or Thierry Henry coming to play in America...As basketball keeps expanding as a world sport we'll see this a lot more often.. Good for AI he'll be treated a lot better over there then he will be here.
Wrong. Beckham's and A.I's circumstances are not the same when you really look at them. A.I had plenty of chances, his stupidity landed him in the situation he is in right now.
 Dude fell off. FACT

Not really. Beckham and Henry both already won everything in Europe. They were still good enough to be starters on top European clubs when they decided to make the jump. They were still highly respected in Europe as players but chose to move to the U.S. because it was much more lucrative for them to do so.

On the other hand, Iverson has not won an NBA title and as recently as last year chose to play for weak teams like the Grizzlies and 76ers rather than play a reduced role for a stronger NBA team. His selfishness has cost him a lot of respect in NBA circles and amongst NBA fans. He is now a disgraced former NBA star who is only playing in Turkey due to money and lack of options in the U.S.

Beckham and Henry were highly accomplished and had lucrative opportunities available for them in Europe but chose to move to the MLS because they've accomplished everything in European club soccer and decided they wanted even more money (available in the U.S.). Compare that to Iverson who is missing an NBA title from his resume, would rather be a primary option on weak NBA teams rather than a secondary option on a strong NBA team, and has decided to move to Turkey because no good NBA team is willing to touch him with a 10-feet pole or give him a fraction of the money he'll earn in Turkey.

Also, Beckham and Henry are capable of earning the same player salaries in Europe right now that they earn in the U.S., it's just that there are much more endorsement opportunities available to them in the U.S. compared to Europe. Compare them to Iverson who'll likely be cashing in mostly on his player salary and does not have endorsement opportunities in the U.S. and likely wont have many in Turkey.

Not really. Beckham and Henry both already won everything in Europe. They were still good enough to be starters on top European clubs when they decided to make the jump. They were still highly respected in Europe as players but chose to move to the U.S. because it was much more lucrative for them to do so.

On the other hand, Iverson has not won an NBA title and as recently as last year chose to play for weak teams like the Grizzlies and 76ers rather than play a reduced role for a stronger NBA team. His selfishness has cost him a lot of respect in NBA circles and amongst NBA fans. He is now a disgraced former NBA star who is only playing in Turkey due to money and lack of options in the U.S.

Beckham and Henry were highly accomplished and had lucrative opportunities available for them in Europe but chose to move to the MLS because they've accomplished everything in European club soccer and decided they wanted even more money (available in the U.S.). Compare that to Iverson who is missing an NBA title from his resume, would rather be a primary option on weak NBA teams rather than a secondary option on a strong NBA team, and has decided to move to Turkey because no good NBA team is willing to touch him with a 10-feet pole or give him a fraction of the money he'll earn in Turkey.

Also, Beckham and Henry are capable of earning the same player salaries in Europe right now that they earn in the U.S., it's just that there are much more endorsement opportunities available to them in the U.S. compared to Europe. Compare them to Iverson who'll likely be cashing in mostly on his player salary and does not have endorsement opportunities in the U.S. and likely wont have many in Turkey.

AI is the idol to this current generation of stars. PEople need to understand that and stop hating on the man. He still has it gawd damn it and I'm sick of people down playing what the man can do.

And whats all this ring talk? Karl Malone aint never win a ring. Ewing aint never win a ring, Charles Barkay aint never win a ring. And all of them are the greatest stars of evar. So stop the ring talk. Everyone knows AI was the best player at one time and nobody will forget how he changed basketball life. Fashions too.

Iverson's legacy is cemented, sorry I would view his career no differently if he was a bench player for an elite squad in the league. I'd rather have zero rings than Gary Payton (and that's my favorite player) to a chip.  Obviously Ivo would prfer to be in America and really has no one else to blame but himself for his opinion but I'm pointing out the fact that a lot of older players are going to start heading over there. Pierce said when his current contract with the Celts is up he want to go to Greecy and Italy to play for a couple years.

AI is the idol to this current generation of stars. PEople need to understand that and stop hating on the man. He still has it gawd damn it and I'm sick of people down playing what the man can do.

And whats all this ring talk? Karl Malone aint never win a ring. Ewing aint never win a ring, Charles Barkay aint never win a ring. And all of them are the greatest stars of evar. So stop the ring talk. Everyone knows AI was the best player at one time and nobody will forget how he changed basketball life. Fashions too.

Iverson's legacy is cemented, sorry I would view his career no differently if he was a bench player for an elite squad in the league. I'd rather have zero rings than Gary Payton (and that's my favorite player) to a chip.  Obviously Ivo would prfer to be in America and really has no one else to blame but himself for his opinion but I'm pointing out the fact that a lot of older players are going to start heading over there. Pierce said when his current contract with the Celts is up he want to go to Greecy and Italy to play for a couple years.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by Mogulson

AI is the idol to this current generation of stars.

Stop it...
roll.gif
he's not lying though.....ask any young player in the league and 11 times out of 10 they'll say they looked up to AI as a kid

Stop it...
roll.gif
he's not lying though.....ask any young player in the league and 11 times out of 10 they'll say they looked up to AI as a kid

AI is seen as a legend now in Turkey.....lol

My cousin told me that everyone's talking about him over there nonstop.
Besiktas has been making "big name" purchases recently. Quaresma and Guti for the soccer team and now AI for the b-ball team

.....however fenerbache FTW!

Those guys (Pierce, etc) may play in Europe for a few years after achieving everything in the NBA and they'll be going there on vacation while earning very high wages. There's a difference between going there by choice and going there due to lack of alternatives. Iverson's NBA career is incomplete as he does not have a ring and may never get one. No on is saying he has to be a ring chaser but if he was less egotistical and selfish he could've been a key member of a team like the Celtics. He is still capable of contributing and I dont think he'd be a ring chaser if he was still a significant contributor (which he can still be if he wasnt so arrogant). To me a ring chaser is a guy like Gary Payton who won a ring but contributed very little to the Heat. Iverson is still good enough to be a good NBA player on a good team but he is his own worst enemy.

AI is seen as a legend now in Turkey.....lol

My cousin told me that everyone's talking about him over there nonstop.
Besiktas has been making "big name" purchases recently. Quaresma and Guti for the soccer team and now AI for the b-ball team

.....however fenerbache FTW!

Those guys (Pierce, etc) may play in Europe for a few years after achieving everything in the NBA and they'll be going there on vacation while earning very high wages. There's a difference between going there by choice and going there due to lack of alternatives. Iverson's NBA career is incomplete as he does not have a ring and may never get one. No on is saying he has to be a ring chaser but if he was less egotistical and selfish he could've been a key member of a team like the Celtics. He is still capable of contributing and I dont think he'd be a ring chaser if he was still a significant contributor (which he can still be if he wasnt so arrogant). To me a ring chaser is a guy like Gary Payton who won a ring but contributed very little to the Heat. Iverson is still good enough to be a good NBA player on a good team but he is his own worst enemy.

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

Stop it...
roll.gif
Thank you. All the top players right now are 20-23 and they grew up in the early 2000's when AI was murking people on the court and everyone knows that AI changed the game for everyone.

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

Stop it...
roll.gif
Thank you. All the top players right now are 20-23 and they grew up in the early 2000's when AI was murking people on the court and everyone knows that AI changed the game for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom