AND 1 - Discussion / New Releases [ 2007 Samples pg.17 ]

i hate how and1 has shoes for the nba players like the spotlight and stuff but they dont release in major chains.... and i hope Justin's first shoe will be good for bball and hopefully take and1 out of the hump

Review: And 1 Mystique

I've been meaning to post a review on these for a while....

Colorway Tested: Black/Black/Silver

Size Tested: 13

Player Specifics: 6'2, 155 pounds, I'll play anywhere from a point guard to a small foward.

To start off, the Trinity Cushioning System was introduced to promote natural footbed motion, promote stability, impact protection, and provide long lasting cushioning. I believe these are the first And1's to incorporate the cushionining, but I'm not all that sure. Either way, I feel as if the Mystique is an interesting design, a great first shoe (?), and the Trinity cushioning set-up as unlimited potential.

Sizing: It appears as if you bought a pair already, but if I misunderstood your text, I'll reiterate to go with your normal size. During my initial 5 wearings, things seemed a little tight around the forefoot area. But, as long as you give the shoe enough time to break in, your concerns will melt away.

Traction: As you'll see with the picture below, the Mystique incorporates an interesting Herringbone pattern. In my 20 hours of balling in these, I've played on dirty, clean, outdoor, and semi-dusty courts. Truly no concern. The durability is amazing too. Not sure of the material used, but I see almost no visible signs of wear, and I'm a guy that's typically very rough on his shoes.

Cushioning: One of my major concerns and beefs with the Shox basketball lineup is that the Shox are a bit too unforgiving. A study was created to show that the Shox do actually compress if you're a husky ballplayer, but otherwise, nothing really happens. My other beef is I don't really believe Shox work that well transistion wise. Personally, I had a rather strong discountencance with my Nike Shox Lethals. The luxurious, almost plush Zoom forefoot did not work well with the stiff Shox. To come full circle, I believe the Mystique, or rather the Trinity system, has implausible transistion. Definitely a strength of the shoe. In fact, it's a bit hard to expound how I felt with the shoe on. Maximum comfort may suffice, but I guess you'll need to try the shoe for yourself.

Not everything is golden with the Trinity system though. Over 4-5 hour balling periods, I found the forefoot cushioning to be a little weak, and the system as a whole to be a bit unforgiving, leaving my feet sore at times.

Overall comfort: Like mentioned above, my feet felt as if they were in a completely natural posisiton, which I heavily enjoyed. Once broken in, the Mystique has an incredibly roomy toebox, yet it may take 4-5 wearings to reach the aforementioned point. If you take a look at the pictures, you'll see the unused eyelets. When lacing through these eyelets, In noticed a substainial decrease in restriction along the mid part of the foot, yet I noticed with constant swithing between the two eyelets, I noticed a bit of lace fraying. Other positives include a strong presence of the honeycomb mesh. The aforementioned mesh openings kept the upper part of my feet dry, while the mesh laden tongue was one of the most breathable I've experienced in a basketball shoe, ever. Also, with the height of the shoe, I was very sanguine to note that the tongue naturally flexed with my foot, and I felt no restriction. The heel notch that And1 provides on most of their shoes, as well as the achilles liner were two morsels, that were never unappreciated.

Negatives: Like stated in cushioning, the system may be a bit unforgiving to shoe that want an extra plush sneaker. The other glaring problem was while the upper dissipated all chances of moisture congregating on my dogs with the mesh, the insole seemed to take in a lot of moisture leaving the bottoms of my feet quite moist.

As far as height goes, I have no complaints. It took about 3/4 wearings to get used to the height, but after that, it feels completely normal. I noticed no chaffing ever, and the lacing setup, ensures for a tight fit.

Overall Grade: A

The Mystique is perhaps one of my favorite shoes to play in ever, but I gave them an A because a few of the cushioning caveats I mentioned above may not fit the needs of everybody.

Hope this helps!

Here are some pics of an upcoming AND1 shoe... the Onslaught.

The shoe was engineered as a lightweight guard shoe, featuring a full length support plate with traction pods, anatomical flex zones and a visco-elastomer in the heel for low to the ground responsive cushioning. The shoe is actually about 25% lower to the ground than the average basketball shoe. The upper is a full coverage breathable mesh shell with a regional, lightweight synthetic leather featuring perforations and TPU welds for reinforcement.

2uqzl0k.jpg

3586gao.jpg

2rf3jt3.jpg

Woah -- the heel logo and color-blocking are NICE on those...

Here's a white/blue colorway...I think I posted these already but not sure...

Lateral:

Medial:
.:: I CAN ONLY IMAGINE - AND MY IMAGINATION IS AMAZING ::.

^ Oh definitely...that colorway is awesome.

i like how and1 is trying to bring out new stuff. But i dont think alot of ballers would trust that new sole, looks kinda iffy. Like u wont have control with ur foot on the floor cuz theres so many parts cut out.

Wow, those are incredible.

The regional shell reminds looks familiar to me.

The grey mesh works great with the white upper.

Where are these being released?

Wow, I need those in my life. What are yall, And 1 weartesters? Also, not make this a b/s but does any1 need the all black Franchise's NIB in a 14. I bought them for a friend of mine but I literally haven't heard from son in months. Marriage did it to him I guess, but he had AIM on his phone so I figured he'd atleast sign on every once in a while.

Liking those onslaughts.. How much's the retail.. And how's the traction on those.. If its a pg shoe, they must have excelent traction...

^ It might have a similar shape...but the Onslaught's midsole wraps down into the outsole and is not a glued down wedge like on the XIV.

Quote:
And how's the traction on those.. If its a pg shoe, they must have excellent traction...

Not at all TWB...its a good pic, and represents what the traction most likely will be. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the shoe and how it performs.

_SG

Those Transitions are nice. I kinda wish the strap was straight and not flair at the top.

I wonder what the back side of the strap looks like....I imagine some nice customization could be made on the back.

hey datznasty, i see ur avy, and i read ur review on the open runs. how did they hold up over time, did the spandex get loose and is it durable? plus, is the traction good for indoor?

I love the stuff coming from And 1.
The Onslaught looks great!
That traction pattern looks alot better. The circular pattern worked well for me on my T-Mac4's (thats about all that worked well). Are they using a sort of sticky rubber compound for the outsole?

I've been wanting to grab a pair of the Franchise, but alot of the new AND1 product is tough to find north of the border. Anyone have pictures of upcoming kicks that feature the L2G tech?

Quote:
hey datznasty, i see ur avy, and i read ur review on the open runs. how did they hold up over time, did the spandex get loose and is it durable? plus, is the traction good for indoor?
Yea, they last forever. Only thing that kind of bothered me was the tongue would fall to the side after I been playing for a while and when you looked down it was totally off to the side and it looked like the shoes laced without a tongue. They last forever though like I said. I ended up getting rid of them more because they were getting crazy dirty and scuffed and not a decreasing level of performance.

BTW, Blue Chips are on eBay in a 13 with a 50$ buy it now right now. I need a black based colorway and I'd jump on it

^ solid, i saw those, but i was able to get some t-mac II lows instead. I got the mystiques and im looking forward to getting the next installment of the trinity system when i get the money

:lol:
laugh.gif
One of the shoes is called the "and1 first basketball shoe"...
Definition for ARFF- A blocked shot or rejection.
Arffinater- One who arffs a lot.

Back
Top Bottom