And so the attack on the internet starts....

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1828922520101118
* Bill would give U.S. new power against foreign websites

* Critics have called bill "Internet censorship"

* U.S.-China meeting on Thursday on IPR concerns

By Doug Palmer

WASHINGTON, Nov 18 (Reuters) - U.S. agencies and officialswould get new powers to go after foreign websites that sellcounterfeit goods and pirated music, movies and books under abill passed on Thursday by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The bill, which supporters hope will set the stage foraction next year, targets "rogue websites" in countries such asChina that are outside the reach of U.S. law.

The measure, approved by the Senate panel in a 19-0 vote,has the backing of companies including Disney (DIS.N), Nike(NKE.N), Merck (MRK.N) and Time Warner (TWX.N) and groups suchas the Screen Actors Guild, the Motion Picture Association ofAmerica and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Critics like the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digitalrights group, have attacked it as "Internet censorship" thatcould harm the credibility of the United States as a steward ofthe global domain name system.

The panel approved the "Combating Online Infringement andCounterfeits Act" with little time left this year for it to bepassed by Congress and signed into law. Lawmakers are out nextweek for the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday and are expected to workonly a few weeks in December.

A new Congress will be seated in January.

The bill allows the Justice Department to seek a courtorder against the domain name of websites offering illegalmusic or movie downloads or ones that sell counterfeit goodsranging from fake tennis shoes to pharmaceutical products.

Once the Justice Department has the order, it could shutdown the site by requiring the U.S. registrar to suspend thedomain name.

If the registry is located outside the United States, theU.S. Attorney General could go after the website by requiringU.S.-based Internet service providers, payment processors andadvertising networks to stop doing business with it.

Committee aides said they worked with companies likeMasterCard (MA.N), PayPal (PAPXX.O) and AT&T (T.N) to developthe legislation.

The bill was modified to address some concerns that criticsraised. One provision was struck out that would have allowedthe Justice Department to publish a "blacklist" of domain namesthat provide access to websites touting counterfeit or piratedgoods, even if it did not seek a court order against them.

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

http://www.senate.gov/gen...rmation/senators_cfm.cfm

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1828922520101118
* Bill would give U.S. new power against foreign websites

* Critics have called bill "Internet censorship"

* U.S.-China meeting on Thursday on IPR concerns

By Doug Palmer

WASHINGTON, Nov 18 (Reuters) - U.S. agencies and officialswould get new powers to go after foreign websites that sellcounterfeit goods and pirated music, movies and books under abill passed on Thursday by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The bill, which supporters hope will set the stage foraction next year, targets "rogue websites" in countries such asChina that are outside the reach of U.S. law.

The measure, approved by the Senate panel in a 19-0 vote,has the backing of companies including Disney (DIS.N), Nike(NKE.N), Merck (MRK.N) and Time Warner (TWX.N) and groups suchas the Screen Actors Guild, the Motion Picture Association ofAmerica and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Critics like the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digitalrights group, have attacked it as "Internet censorship" thatcould harm the credibility of the United States as a steward ofthe global domain name system.

The panel approved the "Combating Online Infringement andCounterfeits Act" with little time left this year for it to bepassed by Congress and signed into law. Lawmakers are out nextweek for the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday and are expected to workonly a few weeks in December.

A new Congress will be seated in January.

The bill allows the Justice Department to seek a courtorder against the domain name of websites offering illegalmusic or movie downloads or ones that sell counterfeit goodsranging from fake tennis shoes to pharmaceutical products.

Once the Justice Department has the order, it could shutdown the site by requiring the U.S. registrar to suspend thedomain name.

If the registry is located outside the United States, theU.S. Attorney General could go after the website by requiringU.S.-based Internet service providers, payment processors andadvertising networks to stop doing business with it.

Committee aides said they worked with companies likeMasterCard (MA.N), PayPal (PAPXX.O) and AT&T (T.N) to developthe legislation.

The bill was modified to address some concerns that criticsraised. One provision was struck out that would have allowedthe Justice Department to publish a "blacklist" of domain namesthat provide access to websites touting counterfeit or piratedgoods, even if it did not seek a court order against them.

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

http://www.senate.gov/gen...rmation/senators_cfm.cfm

Yeah, it has already start Dirty.

Even viewing footage from different countries (via Youtube) can become censored seeing as we're not "permitted" within country boundaries in the first place.

Even viewing footage from different countries (via Youtube) can become censored seeing as we're not "permitted" within country boundaries in the first place.

indifferent.gif

I remember seeing a piece on China not too long ago, and laughing in condiscendence as I heard of their internet regulation. Look at me now.

I remember seeing a piece on China not too long ago, and laughing in condiscendence as I heard of their internet regulation. Look at me now.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

its been like that on youtube for a longtime but i never understood it

Zyzz wrote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I was waiting for someone to do this

Zyzz wrote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Zyzz wrote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Zyzz wrote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[Southern Cowboy Accent] Someone alert those nice folks over at there 4chan about this. [/Southern Cowboy Accent]

I'm sure they will be crazy enough to teach those Justice Department scoundrels a thing or two.

[Southern Cowboy Accent] Someone alert those nice folks over at there 4chan about this. [/Southern Cowboy Accent]

I'm sure they will be crazy enough to teach those Justice Department scoundrels a thing or two.

Back
Top Bottom