and we're done

It's never a Knicks offseason if we aren't discussing bringing in washed up stars who havent played basketball in three years

priggy staying would be :nthat:

just wrote a piece for my blog on the knicks and nets coexisting in ny http://frankcesare.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-yorks-cold-war.html

New York's Cold War
The moment the New Jersey Nets decided upon returning to New York ignited an arms race between two owners with too much money: Mikhail Prokhorov and James Dolan.

Back when the ABA and NBA merged, the Nets owed a territory fee of $4.8 million to the Knicks that they couldn't pay. At that time, the Nets had the infamous "Dr. J" Julius Erving on their team, and they offered him to the Knicks owner as compensation.

The Knicks denied the Nets offer and Erving was sold to the Philadelphia 76ers for $3 million where he won his only NBA Championship in 1983 against the Showtime Lakers, after losing to them in 1980 and 1982.

While a member of the NBA, the Nets would stay in New York for only one season after their merger due to low attendance. Their owner decided to take the Nets back to New Jersey and the Knicks sued them for territory infringement which led to another $4 million owed.

From that point on, the Nets lived in mediocrity until they acquired Jason Kidd, and the Knicks had a decade of success in the 90s with little to show, aside from the heartaches caused by Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, John Starks, Reggie Miller and the '99 San Antonio Spurs.

In 2010, Prokhorov and the Nets placed a billboard near Madison Square Garden featuring the Nets owner and rap mogul Jay-Z with the header, "the blueprint for greatness." Mr. Carter had a minor stake in the Nets at that time, which he has since relinquished due to his newly formed sports agency, and he was a major proponent for the move to Brooklyn.

One of Prokhorov's goals with the move to BK has been the conversion of Knicks fans and he has fought arduously to convert that dream into reality. In 2010, the Nets did all they could to lure LeBron James and when that failed, they pursued trading for Carmelo Anthony which failed after James Dolan gutted his entire Knicks team to keep that possibility from occurring.

Missing out on Carmelo led to the Nets trading for their current leader Deron Williams from the Utah Jazz, which was followed by a few questionable high-priced acquisitions as the Barclays Center came closer to opening.

In what was typical Knicks fashion under the thankfully long gone Isaiah Thomas, the Nets brought in the albatross contract of Joe Johnson whom has had the tendency of disappearing in crucial games and traded a lottery pick for free agent to be Gerald Wallace.

Johnson and Wallace brought the Nets lineup together on paper, with each player in the starting five complimenting the abilities of their teammates, but it far from made them the elite team the club's salary cap would reflect.

With the Knicks going a round deeper than them in the 2013 NBA Playoffs, the Nets responded by replacing their interim head coach PJ Carlesimo with Jason Kidd and making another Zeke-esque trade, acquiring the shells of Kevin Garnett, Jason Terry and Paul Pierce. Although they freed themselves of Gerald Wallace's large contract and parted ways with the former Kardashian husband, they gave up three first round draft picks (2014, '16 and '18), Keith Bogans and a talented young shooter in Marshon Brooks.

The move limits the Nets window for winning a championship to two years and does little to bring in Knicks fans whom have grown to dislike the antics of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

James Dolan and the Knicks responded to the Nets trade by acquiring a former number one draft pick, Andrea Bargnani, from the Toronto Raptors for the oft-injured Marcus Camby, fan favorite Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson and draft picks.

Labeled soft for standing in at seven feet tall and averaging only five rebounds for his career, Bargnani gives the Knicks a big man that stretches the floor but does little to address the weaknesses that kept them from advancing past the Pacers.

Throughout his career, Andrea has been a nonexistent defender and sorry rebounder, but his contract expires in two seasons while Novak had an extra year on his deal, and this allows the Knicks to reload via free agency in 2015 as only Raymond Felton has a contract extending into the 2015-16 NBA season.

What happens up until that point is to be determined. The Nets have their best chance at winning a championship this upcoming season while the Knicks may have squandered that opportunity against Indiana.

If Brooklyn has the season they're expecting, Prokhorov may see his wish materialize. Although New York has always been the Knicks's town, the city can be fickle at times and those who haven't bled blue and orange their entire lives, may make the transition to black and white.

I expect that transition to be short-lived, however. With the Knicks possessing nearly all of the cap space available for the 2015-16 season and the Nets at that point having over $60 million guaranteed to Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez--considering Lopez picks up his $16.7 million player option--a poignant breath of fresh air will hopefully enter the Garden while the Barclays Center basks in the stale taste of salary cap hell that damned the Knicks for most of the new millennium until Donnie Walsh took over as General Manager.

If the Nets somehow create cap space for the 2015 free agency class, I fully expect an all out bidding war between Prokhorov and Dolan. And if they don't, they'll certainly look to do all that's possible to move Joe Johnson's then expiring contract for a superstar to answer whomever the Knicks sign.

Either way, as long Mikhail owns the Nets, expect him to do all that he can to take over New York while James Dolan fights night and day to keep his stranglehold.

Last edited:
The Bucks are about to sign OJ Mayo, so I can't see them signing JR, too. Unless another team comes in, looks like JR is coming back to NY.

The Bucks are about to sign OJ Mayo, so I can't see them signing JR, too. Unless another team comes in, looks like JR is coming back to NY.

I think other teams are willing to overpay besides the Bucks... as an organization it's time we moved on from JR... his scoring is inconsistent, and when needed most (the playoffs) he transforms back to a college kid looking to party

I think every team in the league knows JR is staying. And hes not gonna be like Lin and sign some outrageous offer sheet that we cant match which is why he hasnt been in the news much as far as teams interest. He is coming back to NY and I for one am happy about it. He just gotta not disappear in the playoffs this year and we are in a real good position with what we have added so far.

But outside of getting better at PG the only other thing I want to see us do is grab Barnes for cheap and ill be good with our offseason movement. All the Iverson and Hibachi talk is cool and all, but if they not taking the Vet Min then **** em.

Looks like Dallas and Detroit are the only teams left to pitch to JR. Good chance he'll be back with us :smokin

I think other teams are willing to overpay besides the Bucks... as an organization it's time we moved on from JR... his scoring is inconsistent, and when needed most (the playoffs) he transforms back to a college kid looking to party
Sac probably gonna offer him 15 mil.

whats taking so long to sign jr? look what happen last year with lin... but then again im happy we passed on lin

Well then... It's not done deal yet

Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman

Earl Smith, J.R.'s father, told Post nothing will be signed until Friday. Still can get better offer. So far none have bowled J.R. over.
8:02 p.m. Wed, Jul 3

^ it's not done but they're still working on the deal which would lead to a verbal contract. His father is a moron. Dallas and Detroit could offer him a little more but not enough to make him move and leave his glorious night life in NY :smokin

^ no, Cope is pretty much out. Knicks haven't contacted him and he's already had a few teams talk to him. He's getting more than we can offer.

i want cope back but not more than vets minimum so pass and i like pablo but i would take telfair over him

Back
Top Bottom