Another look at how good sea glow works on XI bottoms

Originally Posted by TheShoeKing23

Originally Posted by Anomaly

Got it.  So you're saying you may have to reapply Sea Glow many, many times over the course of days/weeks?  And for each application, is there such a thing as leaving it on/in the sun for TOO long?  Is there an indication for what's long enough?  Man, at $40/16 oz bottle, I could see that getting pretty expensive very quickly, especially for multiple shoes.

The amount of sea glow is very small, I used about 1.5 ounces to do a pair of Concords. I put a few drops in a bowl then used a cotton ball to apply it to the soles.

The sea glow wont damage the shoes soles. When I did my Concords, I left them under the sun for over 5-6 hours per day for atleast 3 days straight. Only thing you have to look out for is the sole, they may seperate because of the sun's heat and if sea glow gets where the shoes glue is, that glue wont work anymore after seperation accurs. You gotta be careful to keep the sea glow only on the soles, and if you get some on the glue wipe it off with water before you put it in the sun.

XI's fiber plate is known for seperating, the glue will still work if you dont get sea glow between the plate and sole. Gorilla Glue works just fine if you cant get it back to sticking.

When I first seaglowed my concords the sole separated (my theory) because the carbon fiber plate got too hot that it melted the glue. I carefully watched to see if seaglow got in that area and it didn't. I'm not saying seaglow doesn't separate glued seams, but I think that's the cause of sole separation for XIs. My solution? Put a wet paper towel over the plate while it sits in the sun.When it did separate, I used rubber bands to clamp the sole back and took it out the sun and the glue dried back up.

Originally Posted by TheShoeKing23

Originally Posted by Anomaly

Got it.  So you're saying you may have to reapply Sea Glow many, many times over the course of days/weeks?  And for each application, is there such a thing as leaving it on/in the sun for TOO long?  Is there an indication for what's long enough?  Man, at $40/16 oz bottle, I could see that getting pretty expensive very quickly, especially for multiple shoes.

The amount of sea glow is very small, I used about 1.5 ounces to do a pair of Concords. I put a few drops in a bowl then used a cotton ball to apply it to the soles.

The sea glow wont damage the shoes soles. When I did my Concords, I left them under the sun for over 5-6 hours per day for atleast 3 days straight. Only thing you have to look out for is the sole, they may seperate because of the sun's heat and if sea glow gets where the shoes glue is, that glue wont work anymore after seperation accurs. You gotta be careful to keep the sea glow only on the soles, and if you get some on the glue wipe it off with water before you put it in the sun.

XI's fiber plate is known for seperating, the glue will still work if you dont get sea glow between the plate and sole. Gorilla Glue works just fine if you cant get it back to sticking.

When I first seaglowed my concords the sole separated (my theory) because the carbon fiber plate got too hot that it melted the glue. I carefully watched to see if seaglow got in that area and it didn't. I'm not saying seaglow doesn't separate glued seams, but I think that's the cause of sole separation for XIs. My solution? Put a wet paper towel over the plate while it sits in the sun.When it did separate, I used rubber bands to clamp the sole back and took it out the sun and the glue dried back up.

Originally Posted by luvtheshoe

Here you go...it's under island girl, not sea glow.
wink.gif

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=56&

smokin.gif
 very much apprecated

i'm in the camp that you should just wear them and enjoy them instead of trying to preserve them. otherwise you miss out on all the fun of actually having the XI's

i'm in the camp that you should just wear them and enjoy them instead of trying to preserve them. otherwise you miss out on all the fun of actually having the XI's

Originally Posted by DayDay56

True. I pretty much wore out my concords, Vs and IVs since they came out in 99-01. Now I cherish them for what they are. Trying to preserve them so I can keep wearing them.

Originally Posted by DayDay56

True. I pretty much wore out my concords, Vs and IVs since they came out in 99-01. Now I cherish them for what they are. Trying to preserve them so I can keep wearing them.

So silken seal is for vinyl and the XI soles are not vinyl, and I have tried soap and water repeatedly. So we can pretty much say there is no cure for the greasy sticky feeling after seaglow?

So silken seal is for vinyl and the XI soles are not vinyl, and I have tried soap and water repeatedly. So we can pretty much say there is no cure for the greasy sticky feeling after seaglow?

Originally Posted by Bruggs58

Are you neutralizing it with water after? Then completely drying it off?

Originally Posted by Bruggs58

Are you neutralizing it with water after? Then completely drying it off?

Love seaglow...need to get some and ice my 01 jams...they're lookin like a denver nuggets colorway now hahah

Love seaglow...need to get some and ice my 01 jams...they're lookin like a denver nuggets colorway now hahah

Back
Top Bottom