Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Kobetwo What do you know about the Burner 2.0s, Mizunos for game improvement, Cleveland CG 7 black pearl, and the Titleist AP 1s (sorry for the long list)?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
I want more distance, but do not want to be hitting shots into greens that won't hold. I hit my PW around 115 and my 7 iron 145. I don't hit the ball too high, but would like to hit it a bit higher and I also don't get a lot of spin on my short irons. Could you suggest some newgame improvement irons for me?
The burner 2.0 irons seem to be pretty good. I personally don't like the black finish, but they are quite forgiving and feel pretty soft for a casted head. A HUGE improvement over the burner irons i feel. in terms of the forgiveness, i feel like its pretty much in between the ap1 and the ap2. however, in all honesty, i like the taylormade r9 irons over the burner 2.0. same in terms of forgiveness but i like the non-black look and they just felt better to me (although they are casted as well). as for mizuno game improvements, they kind of changed it up in a major way this last year. they went from mx200/mx300/mp52/etcetc to just the jpx800 / jpx800pro. the jpx800 pro is pretty much between the mx200/mx300 but probably just a generation evolution to the mx300. the jpx800 arent even forged and theyre casted but imo theyre probably one of the best in terms of feel and forgiveness. if you would consider buying older irons, i think you should seriously look into the mx200 as it is a forged iron and still has a ton of forgiveness. the mx200 id probably put in the same category as the burner 2.0 but have the forged feel. if i have to pick a game improvement club close to the super game improvement category, id pick the jpx800. its probably closest competition is the ap1 which you mentioned. i think the two irons are neck and next and for me personally, i like the feel of the mizunos better over the ap1. the ap1s are very high quality irons however. super forgiving, long, consistent.

if i had to choose amongst the irons you mentioned, i'd go....

mizuno jpx800 / titleist ap1 / burner 2.0

if i could throw a few suggestions into the mix, i'd go:
mizuno mx200 or taylormade r9 / mizuno jpx800 / titleist ap1 / burner 2.0

people that know me in this thread know im kind of a homer to mizuno irons but im actually quite a fan of the taylormade r9 irons. u could easily pick up a set of r9 irons for 360 used.

Originally Posted by gatorb807

Whats an average price for having the shaft shortened on a driver?

like $5 to cut it, and then the added cost of whatever new grip you decide to get... about $10-$15 at most. 

after you chop a driver though, it will be lighter, most people can't tell the difference cause it's like 10 grams or so.  but if you can feel a difference, just add lead tape to the bottom of the driver to get the swingweight back up to the normal.

Originally Posted by youngmoney

im really thinking about pulling the trigger on the titleist 910 D3...someone tell me why i shouldnt...

because it doesn't have high ball speeds and if you're trying to reduce spin,  it doesn't really do a good job of it. not to mention the sure-fit system is flawed. first, its a two piece system that's made of metal. in order for those pieces to not get crushed and jacked up, they needed to make those pieces durable. durable in terms of metal means heavier pieces. heavier pieces in the heel area means its more draw / hook bias. on top of that, there have been issues about the screw getting stripped and people have had issues with the surefit system as a result of it.

but if you need something more draw biased and hit a low spin drive, this club probably would definitely work for you! just dont mess around with the surefit system too much!

Here are pics of the 2011 arsenal. I added the Titleist 909D2 and the Nike VR 3 wood this week. I was finally able to find the 909D2 with a shaft setup that I liked (Non-retail Stiff Aldila Proto "By You" (yes the shaft is probably worth more than the club head)) for the right price. I went with the 909, not only because of the price, but I really do not care for the new adjustable crap with all the screws and wrenches (almost didn't buy the Nike 3wood because of this, but I couldn't pass it up for $50 
eek.gif
). I may swap out the Callaway FT hybrid for a newer Titleist model later in the summer, but these will work for now. (please post pics of your sticks, I've seen them all a million times, but for some reason, I love looking). I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about clubs because I don't, but I know what works for me.

Driver: Titleist 909 D2 9.5* Stiff Aldila Proto "By You"
3 wood: Nike Vr 15* Stiff Aldila Voo Doo
Hybrid: Callaway FT 4h Stiff Proforce
Irons: Nike Vr Forged Split Cavity 3-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Nike Forged 53* SW, Titleist Vokey 60* Lob Wedge
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 33" w/ 20g weights

With their clothes on...

naked...

The irons...2nd season for these. I freakin love them.

Club guys will love this (this used to be almost $300 by itself)...

And here's a guilty pleasure...we all know the Scotty Newport 2 is badass, but it turns even more heads when it's in a 1 of 500 Scotty's Custom Shop "Junk Yard Dog" headcover
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Front side...

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

What length shaft?  I had thought about putting heavier weights in mine (got 10s right now), just expensive to get the tool or to mail it in...

First time out since Thanksgiving this Saturday AM on a new course...I'm getting excited.  No range time either
frown.gif

Originally Posted by k0betw0

im really thinking about pulling the trigger on the titleist 910 D3...someone tell me why i shouldnt...

but if you need something more draw biased and hit a low spin drive, this club probably would definitely work for you!

then it couldnt be more perfect for me
roll.gif
pimp.gif

and i got blooded today on the course

lost 6&5... 2 man best ball
sick.gif

luckily for me im gonna get my money back when Wisconsin beats butler by 5pts tonight...wish me luck
laugh.gif

and i met the club fitter for the Faldo institute today... so much knowledge
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and Griffy Jr was there getting fit...hes got a 3 index w/ a 130mph swing speed

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

eaalto- shaft on my putter is 34"

but if you need something more draw biased and hit a low spin drive, this club probably would definitely work for you!

then it couldnt be more perfect for me
roll.gif
pimp.gif

and i got blooded today on the course

lost 6&5... 2 man best ball
sick.gif

luckily for me im gonna get my money back when Wisconsin beats butler by 5pts tonight...wish me luck
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
all good man. i've decided to go with another g15 driver for 2011.... who knows when itll come though. i ordered it with a digital loft of 9.8* they said late next week hopefully early next week..... my swing is dying for some kick *@% ballspeeds.....

i think the kid could easily get up on that 130mph swing speed. dude's got one of the best swings of all time and its so smooth it makes ernie els look epileptic. my hack swing can get up to 113 if i really put it on. i bet the kid can catch it at 150 easy.

Was able to play NC States golf course today for free. We got in 15 holes before calling it a day. I was 16 over and played like absolute !!++. My putter was my saving grace, it could have been a lot worse.
sick.gif

Pics of my current set-up. Excuse the lighting, it's pretty bad.
laugh.gif

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

And since this is Nike Talk:

mail

Ha, after seeing how crazy this tournament has been, we'll probably need it.

I've had my Scotty Cameron for nearly 11 or 12 years now and I absolutely love it. Some of the ones you can find on e-bay are so sick too.

KobeTwo- Thanks for the iron advice. I'm probably going to go to a golf store and hit some AP1s, Burner 2.0s, R9s, and the Mizuno's you talked about and see which ones I like the best.

I was doing a reverse C swing with my driver today. Everything I was hitting flared out to the right. It was so damn frustrating. Do y'all know any drills to help correct this problem?

Tiger creeping up the leader board at bayhill...currently tied for 5th, but will prorable drop a few spot with a bunch of players still to go their 2nd rd.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I was doing a reverse C swing with my driver today. Everything I was hitting flared out to the right. It was so damn frustrating. Do y'all know any drills to help correct this problem?
I just work on having good posture at address: torso bent forward at the hips, slight bend in the knees, chin out, left arm straight through the whole swing, and a good shoulder turn to make sure my swing starts on the inside and goes out.  When I start getting crazy with trying to grip it and rip it, something goes out of whack and I usually have a slight fade to severe slice, but otherwise using what I described above I get an almost straight ball flight with a slight draw on some hits.  

This advice might not work for you, just what I do.

I'm hitting an old 2006 Cleveland Launcher Ti with Aldiva NV 65S (green).  Once I started really focusing on the in-out swing and keeping a straight arm, I had a lot more consistency on my drives (usually my weakest aspect of my game).  Used to tee off with a 3 wood all the time, now the driver is my go to unless I am too scared by a narrow fairway.

So just try to sit there and really draw with your club on the downswing, where you know you are coming across the ball in a manner that imparts a left to right spin on it (avoiding slice)...

I dunno

Here's a picture. 

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

any tips on putting and putting posture?

putt left hand low. if you're right handed and you putt with your right hand on the bottom. swap it with your left hand being the lower hand. its gonna feel really weird at first, but if you ask a lot of the older generation pros. they ALL have said that they wished they started putting left hand low (jack and arnie specifically).. the reason for this is because when you putt in your traditional way, your stroke becomes too wristy which causes for that inconsistency. if you putt left hand low, you'll take your wrist action out and have more of a shoulder rocking stroke.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I'm there from wed - sunday.
Damn Gunna, that is awesome.

I went for a Wednesday and Thursday in 2001. Notah Begay III was playing with Tiger and he tossed me one of his Nike golf balls leaving the driving range.

putt left hand low. if you're right handed and you putt with your right hand on the bottom. swap it with your left hand being the lower hand. its gonna feel really weird at first, but if you ask a lot of the older generation pros. they ALL have said that they wished they started putting left hand low (jack and arnie specifically).. the reason for this is because when you putt in your traditional way, your stroke becomes too wristy which causes for that inconsistency. if you putt left hand low, you'll take your wrist action out and have more of a shoulder rocking stroke.
Strange, would you still be using the same grip you do with right hand being low?

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Strange, would you still be using the same grip you do with right hand being low?
same grip. just swap the hand order.

Just grabbed the putter and tried it for a second in the living room... Hard to get the grip going but the putting stroke doesn't feel as awkward as I thought it would.

Ill try this in a few months when it stops snowing
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom