Any Golfers on NT?

I suck.

alien.gif
indifferent.gif

i better get my $%#$ straight by monday...i got a "march madness" 64 team 2 man tourney.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

just tried it too.. felt a bit weird but I get the purpose.
I'll def try it my next time out

What grip do you currently use? I prefer Tigers grip on a putter and it has improved my putting over the last few years.

As for posture, it depends on what kind of putter you are. Some people open/close the face and some people prefer the straight back and through method (even though you will still open/close the face this way)

I think of myself as a straight back and through putter so I prefer to get myself over the ball just enough so that I can keep my triangle solid and my upper body/arms all in one piece.

The local golf shop in my town is having a Taylor Made demo day next weekend.

Could i get my irons fitted there, if so how much would it run?

Originally Posted by gatorb807

The demo day is meant to supplement the golf shop. If its done right then they should get you fit at no extra charge. Demo days are meant to push product, not get more money off of you. Just do yourself a favor and get fit at an outdoor one where you can hit off of grass and see your actual ball flight.

My local club is having a Taylor Made demo day tomorrow, might go down and hit a few drivers but irons I will have to wait til summer, I absolutely hate hitting off mats.

Also Kobetwo, what do you think of the Mizuno MP-52.  Would these be a decent choice for a person who is currently a 15-18 handicap but used to be about a 10.  Also how would the workability be on these?  I like to hit a draw with my mid and long irons and work it both ways with my short irons.

I would go and talk to the TM guy. Hit a little and ask him if he will be at the outdoor one. The best thing to do is build a relationship with him. Once he sees you at the second one outdoors he will probably give you more time and remember you. TM is usually very busy at demo days so the best thing you can do is get to know the reps even though there are probably 5-6 demo guys in your area.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

My local club is having a Taylor Made demo day tomorrow, might go down and hit a few drivers but irons I will have to wait til summer, I absolutely hate hitting off mats.

Also Kobetwo, what do you think of the Mizuno MP-52.  Would these be a decent choice for a person who is currently a 15-18 handicap but used to be about a 10.  Also how would the workability be on these?  I like to hit a draw with my mid and long irons and work it both ways with my short irons.

how's your ballstriking?  i would actually rec the nike vr pro combos.  forgiving long and mid irons, and workability with a blade for 8 9 and pw..

Originally Posted by reigndrop

how's your ballstriking?  i would actually rec the nike vr pro combos.  forgiving long and mid irons, and workability with a blade for 8 9 and pw..
My ball striking right now is actually pretty good considering how much I have been able to play the past year.  I hit my most of my irons clean except for 3-5 I am struggling with a hook at the moment.  The biggest thing right now that is holding my game back is distance, mainly off the tee so I will be getting a new driver soon.  Been playing with a old Callaway Steelhead driver and can put it out there about 230-240 but that still leaves me with longer shots than I would like on a majority of the courses I play.  I have yet to hit the combos but I will definitely try them out.

+1 on the combos. Took them out for my first two rounds of the year. I also got them with Rifle shafts at no upcharge which was really nice. I ordered the 2 iron with them and played on a really windy course and it was awesome. Never thought I could hit a 2 iron or 3 iron for that matter.

Driver distance will surprise you how many good drivers there are compared to what you have. You can probably browse eBay and find older selection that might help you out.

Quick question for anyone who knows..

Let's say I get my driver chopped down to 44 inches, and it doesn't work out.

Is it just as easy to add the length back, or am I stuck with it?

just read "Extraordinary Golf" definitely changed my perspective to my swing, playing, and enjoying every round

consequently my swing has improved

there's nothing wrong with the mp52s or the vr pro combos.i played the mp52s before and both are great irons for sure. i don't really know if i'd roll with those with your handicap though, you went pretty dramatic from ap1s, ap2s. burner 2.0s to mp52s. could you hit them? sure, i dont doubt it. but u just seem to be going in the wrong direction in terms of forgiveness which is what you said you wanted in your irons initially i believe.

sorry. i confused u for juicy j. yes the mp52s are fine irons. theyre more forgiving and softer than the vr pro combo. but as i said, theyre both high quality irons. even though i don't know what irons ur currently playing, you said your iron play isnt really your issue and that its your distance off the tee. which leads me to ask, why the hell are you looking for new irons? if your iron striking is fine with your current set of irons, why would you be looking for new irons? get a new driver.

Originally Posted by HWBurnz

you can extend a graphite shaft by 1". anything more than 2" and you're putting the integrity of the shaft on the butt end really into question. even with a 1" extension, you're kind of changing the characteristics of the shaft. some say its not noticeable, some say it is. im in the latter camp, but i can't really provide you with concrete evidence to be 100% honest. but like i said, anything beyond 2" and most people will tell you to scrap the shaft.

Picked up some black 2010 Zoom TW golf shoes off ebay for $55. They got here today. Cannot wait for the cold weather to go away completely.

measure half inch increments on your grip, mark it, and then choke down every half inch and see what works best for you.  if choking down an inch improves your ball striking, and that's 44inches, chop it down to there and etc.  it's not the most precise way, but it will more than suffice

measure half inch increments on your grip, mark it, and then choke down every half inch and see what works best for you.  if choking down an inch improves your ball striking, and that's 44inches, chop it down to there and etc.  it's not the most precise way, but it will more than suffice
I've been playing alot the last couple days, and have been choking down on my driver, probably an inch, inch and a half, and the ball striking has been much better.  (Although I am losing a little distance, but the accuracy is much better so I don't mind the trade off)

So my next question would be, if choking down is working, why even chop my driver down?  Why not just keep choking down?  Will chopping an inch off the shaft give me any more distance?

Next purchase is gonna be a 2 or 3 hybrid.

Any suggestions? thinking of Adams or Taylor Made

Highly recommend the Cleveland Mashie, great club for hitting right to left shots, might not suit the eye for all, it sets up closed, but I love mine, the stock shaft alone is about the price of the club ($150)

I've been playing alot the last couple days, and have been choking down on my driver, probably an inch, inch and a half, and the ball striking has been much better.  (Although I am losing a little distance, but the accuracy is much better so I don't mind the trade off)

So my next question would be, if choking down is working, why even chop my driver down?  Why not just keep choking down?  Will chopping an inch off the shaft give me any more distance?
your question is a VERY valid question and there are several answers to it.

we'll address the last question first: will it give you more distance if you chop it down?
- NO. choking down and cutting the same amount off will create the same amount of leverage, which in turn leaves the same swingspeed. you won't gain anymore distance.

now the more valid question: why chop down and why not keep choking down on the club?
- well its a difference in feel. the section that you choke down on, effectively counterweights your shaft and technically makes the shaft lighter than if you cut the shaft. it's not much, but it is a counterweight. HOWEVER, here's the bigger reason for choking down vs cutting the shaft shorter. take a look at a golf grip, the butt end of the grip is thicker than the clubhead end. as a result, when you choke down, the effective diameter of the golf grip is LESS than if you chopped the shaft, and put the grip on. as a result, your directional accuracy MAYBE different. i'm not going to say one way is better over the other because it's just a preference of how it feels in your hands. this is actually the reason why anthony kim doesn't cut his clubs and always plays like it's choked down. he prefers the skinnier feel choking down as opposed to cutting the shaft down.

Originally Posted by ****dog16

Next purchase is gonna be a 2 or 3 hybrid.

Any suggestions? thinking of Adams or Taylor Made

Highly recommend the Cleveland Mashie, great club for hitting right to left shots, might not suit the eye for all, it sets up closed, but I love mine, the stock shaft alone is about the price of the club ($150)

the adams a7 is a great hybrid. i used to play them. i've demoed the taylormade white series rescue clubs. again very good hybrids as well. i hear good things about the mashie, but taht thing just looks way too bulbous for me so i havent hit it. i've actually switched to the nike vr pro hybrid series. it looks tiny (which i love), but plays very forgiving and has a nice feel to it. many hybrids i feel confuse people because its too big for an iron so you don't want to swing it like an iron; so you swing it like a wood. but its too skinny for a wood, so you try to swing it like an iron. as a result, it just looks too weird to swing like an iron because at least for me, i couldnt imagine trying to make a divot with a hybrid (fyi, hybrids should be hit like you hit an iron, you hit down on them, you don't sweep the hybrid). the vr pro is small enough that you can make the iron swing on it and take a solid divot. but for whatever reason the center of gravity of this is so deep and far back, it's still forgiving enough as the hybrid. don't be intimidated by the small looks, nike came to play with the vr pro hybrid.

Originally Posted by k0betw0

your question is a VERY valid question and there are several answers to it.

we'll address the last question first: will it give you more distance if you chop it down?
- NO. choking down and cutting the same amount off will create the same amount of leverage, which in turn leaves the same swingspeed. you won't gain anymore distance.

now the more valid question: why chop down and why not keep choking down on the club?
- well its a difference in feel. the section that you choke down on, effectively counterweights your shaft and technically makes the shaft lighter than if you cut the shaft. it's not much, but it is a counterweight. HOWEVER, here's the bigger reason for choking down vs cutting the shaft shorter. take a look at a golf grip, the butt end of the grip is thicker than the clubhead end. as a result, when you choke down, the effective diameter of the golf grip is LESS than if you chopped the shaft, and put the grip on. as a result, your directional accuracy MAYBE different. i'm not going to say one way is better over the other because it's just a preference of how it feels in your hands. this is actually the reason why anthony kim doesn't cut his clubs and always plays like it's choked down. he prefers the skinnier feel choking down as opposed to cutting the shaft down.
Thanks for breaking it down man, appreciate it.  I don't mind the way my grip feels, and directionally everything is fine, so it looks like I'll just keep it AK style and choke down on the driver for now.

As far as hybrids, I just picked up a Taylormade Raylor off ebay for $44 shipped.  It's got a smaller club head, but I'm thinking I might put a steel shaft in it.  I've only used for a couple rounds, but so far so good. 

Back
Top Bottom