Any Golfers on NT?

^^
pimp.gif

I demoed a 10.5 and a 11.5 and liked both, but figured the 10.5 would be better for the long run

Played my first 18 yesterday walking a long hilly course... had a 4some and had to cut it 2 holes short because we ran out of light...

I played decently well on the front 9 with some good drives between 270-300 but its gonna take a little bit to get used to my new Irons.

The place was still pretty wet so whenever I hit too low under the ball it would just chunk the @%#% out of the mud and my iron shot would go like 30 yds
smh.gif
smh.gif

hit 95 through 16 holes... my goal was 110 for the course so I was in range with what i wanted to do but i was still not happy with how I played... gonna try to get in the 90's consistently this year.

Yesterday I decided it's time to get back into the golf game after a two year hiatus. With baseball and other odds and ends in the summer, golf was neglected. When I last played, I was about a 5 or 6 handicap. I'm committed to get back into the game seriously. The problem: my clubs. It's time for a serious revamp. Top to bottom: driver, fairway wood, irons, putter, bag.

I'm willing to have invested about $1,200 cumulatively and will buy everything progressively, starting with a bag. With that budget, what do you guys recommend for those five things? Would love some bits of opinion.

^ You can find brand new set of Callaway X-18 Pro series for just under $300 like I did (see pics a page or 2 back).. They are great clubs and with Graphite shafts for around $300 it doesnt get much better than that IMO.

This guy has some X-20 steel shafted clubs ending soon as well as a set of the X-18's with Graphite: http://shop.ebay.com/golf...rom=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Used putters on eBay usually come relatively cheap so I say go there.

I ebayed everything i have now and spent under $500 for NEW: X-18 Pro series, NEW: Adams Idea A7os #3 hybrid, NEW: Callaway X 5 wood, USED: Odyssey 2 ball SRT putter.

So if you give yourself a week or so and patience on ebay im sure you can ind a TON of GREAT stuff on ebay that will fall well within your budget of $1200.

Again, go back a page or two to check out the stuff I grabbed off ebay for under $500 bucks... and PM me if you need good sellers.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

^ You can find brand new set of Callaway X-18 Pro series for just under $300 like I did (see pics a page or 2 back).. They are great clubs and with Graphite shafts for around $300 it doesnt get much better than that IMO.

This guy has some X-20 steel shafted clubs ending soon as well as a set of the X-18's with Graphite: http://shop.ebay.com/golf...rom=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Used putters on eBay usually come relatively cheap so I say go there.

I ebayed everything i have now and spent under $500 for NEW: X-18 Pro series, NEW: Adams Idea A7os #3 hybrid, NEW: Callaway X 5 wood, USED: Odyssey 2 ball SRT putter.

So if you give yourself a week or so and patience on ebay im sure you can ind a TON of GREAT stuff on ebay that will fall well within your budget of $1200.

Again, go back a page or two to check out the stuff I grabbed off ebay for under $500 bucks... and PM me if you need good sellers.

Really, really appreciate this. I know ebay is a good outlet, I only worry about fake sellers. 

Alas, finding a used but great condition putter or anything else is a great route to take. Thanks a lot, any further questions I'll shoot you a PM. 

NP man, theres a ton of legit golf sellers on ebay... Check out Golfio, timtheputterman, discountgolfdirec_com among others.

ebay is the place to buy clubs!!plain and simple

its not hard to tell if a club is fake

what i recommend you do is go down to ur local golf outlet store and hit every club there...find out what driver, 3 wood etc you like best...go on ebay and get the pricing

Hello NT,

So I'm deciding to get back into golf. I played for 2 summers in 2006 and 2007 and then stopped. By the end of my last summer, I was shooting in the mid-90s. If I went out today, I'm sure I'd shoot from 105 - 115.

Anyways, I was looking to get an upgrade on my clubs and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by jmal519

Hello NT,

So I'm deciding to get back into golf. I played for 2 summers in 2006 and 2007 and then stopped. By the end of my last summer, I was shooting in the mid-90s. If I went out today, I'm sure I'd shoot from 105 - 115.

Anyways, I was looking to get an upgrade on my clubs and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.
All depends on how much you want to spend. 

But for your irons, I'd definitely stay away from blades. 

Played 9 today and I'm really starting to get a feel for this new VR 56 degree SW.  I've never got so much spin before.  Didn't matter if it was the rough or fairway.  Definitely going to have to get used to that. 

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I need to play at Rancho Solano some time this Summer.  It's a little more than I want to pay for 18, but I'll treat myself eventually.

It seems like we're pretty lucky in this area.   There's a diverse amount of courses to play, from Joe Mortara to Hiddenbrooke.
Rancho Solano wasn't too bad. It was $42 on a weekend twilight which is a lot better than the $80 before 2pm. Most places are around the same price, and aren't as nice. I think Eagle Vines, Rancho, and Paradise are my favorites so far (in that order).

I haven't played Hiddenbrooke because I heard it was hard as hell... I think when I break 80 I'll have to check that and Cache Creek out. Haha Joe Mortara is old @%% jerk. That dude yelled at me because I walked on to the "10th" when apparently I only paid for 9. How the hell is it like $20 to walk a soggy par 3 course at a goddamn race track!?  I can walk a real 18 hole course for like $3 more here in Napa. Oh yeah, and he started hating about there being 5 of us. He said he'd kick us out if he saw 5 people playing on the same hole.

djaman, I would definitely recommend some Mizuno irons. You really can't go wrong with a set of MP-60s or MP-57s off of eBay. Nothing beats the workability/forgiveness of Mizuno forgings! They may take some time to get used to, but since you were a low handicap before your ball-striking should come back quickly.

well upon further review, i absolutely suck at golf ... i couldn't hit my drive, irons, wedges or putter today ... played 36 holes and around 16 of the last round i figured out my driver ... scorched a 315 yarder and then followed that up with a 290 yarder dead straight ... hit about 3 lob wedges within 2 feet and skulled or chunked every other one ... hit my 4 and 5 iron like a champ only a day ago and today i looked like i never swung a club ...

how do you guys stay consistent with your swings? it seems i do my setup the same, my swing feels the same, but i'm not hitting the ball flush ... i mean from irons to my 3 and my 7 woods, i looked like a complete fool ...

^ Im not the person you wanna ask about how to hit the ball consistently... Thats my main weakness from the fairways... Drives are almost always solid unless my mega-slice comes out but then i take baby steps onto the green due to not striking the ball well.

Anyone have tips on hitting Irons off the tee? I always seem to hit the ball with the heel of my club... i usually tee it up low, maybe i should go higher with it but i dunno.

BTW im addicted this year.

we should start a team..team NT golfers..
laugh.gif
.. i'll start playing golf again tomorrow.. damn..i sure wish i still know how to play.. aiming for a 3 under par..

Originally Posted by reigillm

we should start a team..team NT golfers..
laugh.gif
.. i'll start playing golf again tomorrow.. damn..i sure wish i still know how to play.. aiming for a 3 under par..
alien.gif

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

well upon further review, i absolutely suck at golf ... i couldn't hit my drive, irons, wedges or putter today ... played 36 holes and around 16 of the last round i figured out my driver ... scorched a 315 yarder and then followed that up with a 290 yarder dead straight ... hit about 3 lob wedges within 2 feet and skulled or chunked every other one ... hit my 4 and 5 iron like a champ only a day ago and today i looked like i never swung a club ...

how do you guys stay consistent with your swings? it seems i do my setup the same, my swing feels the same, but i'm not hitting the ball flush ... i mean from irons to my 3 and my 7 woods, i looked like a complete fool ...

i practice my swing before hitting the ball..maybe 2-4 times.....my first practice swing wont hit the ground, the second and third does.....and i have a video of my swing back then, it help a lot.

^ Im not the person you wanna ask about how to hit the ball consistently... Thats my main weakness from the fairways... Drives are almost always solid unless my mega-slice comes out but then i take baby steps onto the green due to not striking the ball well.

Anyone have tips on hitting Irons off the tee? I always seem to hit the ball with the heel of my club... i usually tee it up low, maybe i should go higher with it but i dunno.

yup try teeing it up higher. and place the ball the the center of your club.. funny... my first and only hole in one, i teed off without a tee.
roll.gif
. what luck

I'm no pro, but I usually line up the ball and tee with the first groove in the iron centered.  The ball position parallel to your center should move accordingly depending on what club you're using.  Often people just center it which isn't going to help you.

This has helped me at least.

That and keeping my my head down.

do you tee it up in the fairway on 150 yard shots into the green?

why tee it up on a 150 yard par 3

Originally Posted by youngmoney

Why wouldn't you?

Hitting it off the tee gives you a much better shot at clean contact, and you can control the spin a lot more.

You should tee up every tee shot (unless it's a practice-type round). Why forfeit an advantage?

Has anybody on here ever lengthened their clubs, or changed the loft?

I'm thinking about re-shafting my irons but making the clubs longer and de-lofting them to give myself a few more yards.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I tee it up because it boost a little confidence in my swing since i'm not consistent. Also, it assures you that the ball will get up
laugh.gif

Because I cant hit em off the fairway either
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Has anybody on here ever lengthened their clubs, or changed the loft?

I'm thinking about re-shafting my irons but making the clubs longer and de-lofting them to give myself a few more yards.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

i have to lengethen my clubs about 3/4"...im actually just waiting on my new grips to get here

but when you de loft yours only go about 2 degrees max...and never put more loft on your clubs only de loft them

Originally Posted by HWBurnz

Originally Posted by jmal519

Hello NT,

Brand?

Blade or cavity back?

any help is appreciated.
All depends on how much you want to spend. 

But for your irons, I'd definitely stay away from blades. 

Played 9 today and I'm really starting to get a feel for this new VR 56 degree SW.  I've never got so much spin before.  Didn't matter if it was the rough or fairway.  Definitely going to have to get used to that. 

looking to spend between $250 - $400
should i go steel or graphite?

Back
Top Bottom