Apple's September 12 invite hints at iPhone 5. Upgrade to iOS 6 now.

there is no code, its all done through itunes.
ATT does stuff on there end and once you restore and hook it up with the non ATT sim it will show up as unlocked if done correctly.

also i got a close friend who went to Japan last year, and he said the same thing in regards to how him and his girl unlocked their iPhones. he said they gave them a code, they typed it into the dial pad, the phone then went through stages and unlocked and that was that.

either way... just sharing the info i know, they may have changed this but we won't know until get get the instructions for ourselves. :smile:

not trying to get into an argument but the at least from the 3G iphone. there has NEVER been a unlock code doing. Its all through itunes and ATT. Im pretty sure there might be some knowledgeable people in this area that can confirm what im saying.

ATT will just email you and tell you its unlocked but do actually unlock it you will have to follow the directions which will show in the email that you need to hook it up to the computer and restore and what not

not trying to get into an argument but the at least from the 3G iphone. there has NEVER been a unlock code doing. Its all through itunes and ATT. Im pretty sure there might be some knowledgeable people in this area that can confirm what im saying.
ATT will just email you and tell you its unlocked but do actually unlock it you will have to follow the directions which will show in the email that you need to hook it up to the computer and restore and what not

they are on verizon turns out. different networks may have different ways they go about things.

but even when i called months back, the rep was telling me about some code, that i do remember.

but these are the same reps who told me when i bought my iPhone 5, that there would be no option to add my unlimited data when pre-ordering online, soon as i go to buy the phone, there it is. so its hard to believe them at times. :lol:

i've never done it, just reporting the info i have gathered on the matter. that article did mention a code though, not that you enter one in physically but there is one involved to make it happen properly though itunes. sounds like a behind the scenes thing.

dealing with itunes seems easy enough though.

it's no problem,i'm not an arguing type of chick. we good.

i'm enjoying this thread and all the information and excitement. just glad most people were able to place their orders without too much trouble.

take it easy.

There could be multiple ways to unlock the phone.
Because remember, absinthe, redsn0w, and blackra1n are all stand alone softwares that also unlock the phone from a third party method.

I've never done it any other way than the usual "third party" way, but I have unlocked a few phones in the past through dialing random numbers (like Nokia and NEC phones)

i would believe that they could do it through itunes as well.

But who knows.

Last edited:
There could be multiple ways to unlock the phone.
Because remember, absinthe, redsn0w, and blackra1n are all stand alone softwares that also unlock the phone from a third party method.

I've never done it any other way than the usual "third party" way, but I have unlocked a few phones in the past through dialing random numbers (like Nokia and NEC phones)

i would believe that they could do it through itunes as well.

But who knows.

yea but redsnow and all that arent factory unlocks... they are essentially temporary unlocks you can say

we are talking about factory unlock which ATT is offering. Iphones have never been unlocked by code. Others phones have it and still do. I know Blackberries not sure what else since i never had to do it.

i was just telling PRIME it will be nice to have that larger screen for my comiczeal app. I'm going to have all the walking dead series on there, avengers vs xmen, some death note. i liked reading books on my phone, struggled a little more with comics and manga... a little more room on the screen might make it a little easier for me.

the 21st can't get here soon enough.

what apps are you guys rocking with?

yea but redsnow and all that arent factory unlocks... they are essentially temporary unlocks you can say
we are talking about factory unlock which ATT is offering. Iphones have never been unlocked by code. Others phones have it and still do. I know Blackberries not sure what else since i never had to do it.

Yeah, thats true.

Can any NYC iphone users with Verizon or AT&T comment on coverage in their area? I have the 4S on verizon Verizon and its miserable in my apartment. But with my luck AT&T might end up being worse. Im pumped for the 5, problem is I have a 3 hour class at 8 am friday I cant miss.

Since att and apple are backed up on pre orders. What's another alternative to get it next Friday? Is bestbuy too late to late?

How much would I be able to get for a brand new in box iPhone 5 16gb for ATT if i decide to flip it? They cost 650 no contract so i figure 400-550??

Since att and apple are backed up on pre orders. What's another alternative to get it next Friday? Is bestbuy too late to late?

Radioshack, (not sure if they're doing pre orders)
Bestbuy or walmart
check smaller ATT stores as well, usually the larger flagship type stores are the busiest.

or line up at apple, 16s will go faster, the 32s and 64s should be more available

Just a quick question. I upgraded two of my lines (I have a blackberry on the other that is my dedicated business line). I upgraded the blackberry line for the sole purpose of selling the phone. Will I need to remove the SIM card that comes with the phone, or will I be okay to sell it as is, without having to open the packaging at all?

TIA.

Last edited:
Just a quick question. I upgraded two of my lines (I have a blackberry on the other that is my dedicated business line). I upgraded the blackberry line for the sole purpose of selling the phone. Will I need to remove the SIM card that comes with the phone, or will I be okay to sell it as is, without having to open the packaging at all?
TIA.

from my understanding the sim is dedicated to the phone number purchased with.

A CS rep told me i would have to activate it first on the number contracted with and than move it to another line. Which would mean you would have to buy another sim or the person you are selling it to would.

Another CS rep told me that you could just activate it on another line and that the above process was wrong.

The last CS rep said verizon was wondering the same thing and contacted apple about using the same sim card but has yet to receive an answer as of 4 pm central yesterday.

Last edited:
geez yaw still falling for apple tatics>? iphone 5 is so far behind other phones, I never will figure out why people is so quick to jump on the iphones.

Now I like the iphones and wouldnt mind having one but im not going to trip over head over heels to get one

How much would I be able to get for a brand new in box iPhone 5 16gb for ATT if i decide to flip it? They cost 650 no contract so i figure 400-550??
This is what I want to know. I plan to cop it cause I have a upgrade now and flip it whenever Google drops their new Nexus device.

Can any NYC iphone users with Verizon or AT&T comment on coverage in their area? I have the 4S on verizon Verizon and its miserable in my apartment. But with my luck AT&T might end up being worse. Im pumped for the 5, problem is I have a 3 hour class at 8 am friday I cant miss.

Back in 2010 I was in manhattan and had full signal with AT&T and couldn't make calls/data was OD slow on my phone 4. Pretty much all of the big places like times square service was booty because voice and data goes over the same pipeline with AT&T.

Did anybody upgrade from a 4s to a 5? I did and I only did just because I been using iPhones since the first one with the 4gb option and never been disappointed and I had the money and early upgrade option and I sold my 4s for 250 so I broke even with the 5... The only downer was resigning a 2 year contract.. But the way I look at a contract is if I really need to get out of it for such a crazy reason I will just pay the etf

Back
Top Bottom