Are black people really bitter about this? Seriously....

Is this chick the new malcom X?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is being made fun of. Only reason it is called the Harlem Shake is because Baauer or whatever his name is sampled someone saying "Do The Harlem Shake", just as the trend is right now in EDM, where someone takes a random line or ad lib from a rap song. This "craze" could have easily been called "Real Trap ****" or whatever.​
I think it's hilarious she went on a 3 minute rant about it . . . only to have the kids come out and start popping and locking, not even doing the Harlem Shake. Can't imagine dudes like Cam'ron having that in mind when they say the "new" Harlem Shake isn't it.​
I was laughing in the other video where they asked Harlemites what they thought, and some old black dude was like "It's a cycle, someone will always find a way to make money off of something" and I was like son what are you talking about​
I find it amazingly ironic that this whole thing stems from Baauer's choice of what ad lib to sample . . . dude probably had thousands of sounds chopped up, and he picked that one lol​
But can my Harlem NTers verify that people have been doing the shake for 30 years? I just don't believe​
Any grown man seriously doing the Harlem Shake should be ashamed of himself and exiled. The only time I've ever seen it done in the past was when someone was making fun of Diddy
roll.gif

I'd much rather see the Diddy Bop come back anyways

Nobody is being made fun of. Only reason it is called the Harlem Shake is because Baauer or whatever his name is sampled someone saying "Do The Harlem Shake", just as the trend is right now in EDM, where someone takes a random line or ad lib from a rap song. This "craze" could have easily been called "Real Trap ****" or whatever.​

I think it's hilarious she went on a 3 minute rant about it . . . only to have the kids come out and start popping and locking, not even doing the Harlem Shake. Can't imagine dudes like Cam'ron having that in mind when they say the "new" Harlem Shake isn't it.​

I was laughing in the other video where they asked Harlemites what they thought, and some old black dude was like "It's a cycle, someone will always find a way to make money off of something" and I was like son what are you talking about​

I find it amazingly ironic that this whole thing stems from Baauer's choice of what ad lib to sample . . . dude probably had thousands of sounds chopped up, and he picked that one lol​

This trend has nothing to do with the dance, they could have picked any dubstep song with a drop, like dude up there said​

But can my Harlem NTers verify that people have been doing the shake for 30 years? I just don't believe

Not from Harlem but, I heard Herm Edwards say it was once called the Harlem Shuffle.

Its not really about the dance. They see it as something that came from their own 'hood being bastardized. Harlem people have an extreme sense of pride. They are the only people in NYC who rep their neighborhood first and foremost. Everyone else reps their borough.

This!

I'm not even from New York and I'm offended at this fauex "Harlem Shake" movement. Like hawk826 said, the whole point of the video was about a CULTURE being stolen and bastardized! People are quick to dismiss this because they aren't from New York, but this is type of action affects everyone at some point.

This has been going on for years and it quite disturbing to me. The narrative goes like this... Poor disenfranchised people invent something out of necessity and mainstream America comes along, markets it, and ruins the culture as a result. In this case, something that young urban kids in Harlem dedicate time and effort to do will now be remembered as some stupid internet fad that all about acting like a damn fool.

Some people have to learn to empathize more because wrong is wrong. Just because it doesn't affect you directly doesn't make the problem any less relevant.

I'm sure if people in harlem made a dance called dub step or something alone those lines
people who actually dub step going to take some type of offense

This!

I'm not even from New York and I'm offended at this fauex "Harlem Shake" movement. Like hawk826 said, the whole point of the video was about a CULTURE being stolen and bastardized! People are quick to dismiss this because they aren't from New York, but this is type of action affects everyone at some point.

This has been going on for years and it quite disturbing to me. The narrative goes like this... Poor disenfranchised people invent something out of necessity and mainstream America comes along, markets it, and ruins the culture as a result. In this case, something that young urban kids in Harlem dedicate time and effort to do will now be remembered as some stupid internet fad that all about acting like a damn fool.

Some people have to learn to empathize more because wrong is wrong. Just because it doesn't affect you directly doesn't make the problem any less relevant.

:stoneface:

Last edited:
Its not really about the dance. They see it as something that came from their own 'hood being bastardized. Harlem people have an extreme sense of pride. They are the only people in NYC who rep their neighborhood first and foremost. Everyone else reps their borough.
This!

View media item 295132
Baauer nor the weird suburban kids who made the first Harlem Shake video are not "mainstream America" and how was the Harlem Shake invented out of necessity?
roll.gif

C'mon son what the **** are you talking about?

Last edited:

Baauer nor the weird suburban kids who made the first Harlem Shake video are not "mainstream America" and how was the Harlem Shake invented out of necessity? :rofl:

C'mon son what the **** are you talking about?​

Some clown in the other thread was talking about how dudes would Harlem Shake battle each other instead of shooting each other :rofl: Sounding like a damn Chappelle skit

People with their panties in a bunch over a dance are the type of people that like to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Your mad over a dance, that just sounds stupid.

I could see being mad over lack of jobs, lack of quality education, or somethig along those lines which are legitamate reasons to be mad but to be upset over a dance. Wow is all I can say.

Cry me a river and build me a bridge

People with their panties in a bunch over a dance are the type of people that like to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Your mad over a dance, that just sounds stupid.

I could see being mad over lack of jobs, lack of quality education, or somethig along those lines which are legitamate reasons to be mad but to be upset over a dance. Wow is all I can say.

Cry me a river and build me a bridge

Most likely they're complete failures at life and have nothing else to contribute to society besides their valuable Harlem Shake abilities. If that's the case, I can kinda see why their feelings are hurt.

Some clown in the other thread was talking about how dudes would Harlem Shake battle each other instead of shooting each other :rofl: Sounding like a damn Chappelle skit

You definitely are unfamiliar with the break dancing sub culture and it's roots.
you have no idea what local dance movements served for the community before it became commercialized and considered mainstream taboo.

Break dancing was also derived from martial arts to some which is why you'll find a lot of similarities in moves.

Cats actually used to battle dance each other. Just like Cedric the Entertainer said in Kings of Comedy.

Last edited:
You definitely are unfamiliar with the break dancing sub culture and it's roots.
you have no idea what local dance movements served for the community before it became commercialized and considered mainstream taboo.

Break dancing was also derived from martial arts to some which is why you'll find a lot of similarities in moves.

Cats actually used to battle dance each other. Just like Cedric the Entertainer said in Kings of Comedy.

So if I was walking in Harlem during the 80s/90s and was about to get robbed at gunpoint, I could bust out the Harlem Shake and defeat my potential robber to escape without a scratch? I believe you :rolleyes

A dance battle =/= getting into actual confrontations and then proceeding to Harlem Shake (which someone said was the purpose of the dance)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom