Are You a Good Tipper? Vol - Gratuity

Look, the way I see it is like this - The waiters work off an hourly wage of $2.13 or whatever it is, right?

I completely understand the idea that, "Okay all this guy or girl is doing is refilling my glass, writing down my order, and coming to check on me and whomever every 10 mins." ----- So why tip when they basically are doing "nothing?" I get that mindset, but you have to really look at it as to how they make their money. If you made $2/hr and your wage is based off a society that is expected to tip, just at least give them 10 %. I make my living off of tips. Given I park cars as my part time job in school, it still is my only source of income and I do my best to make sure I provide the best service. People usually take are of me at my main lot, but it's also a country club so the clientele is a little higher......okay a lot higher.
But when I go into the city and valet at some middle class to average spots, I've had people just get in their car and say thanks, or throw me a dollar in quarters...... %!#+ makes me want to throw their change at their car as I leave. I just dont get it. The only thing I can think of is maybe people think the valets get a flat hourly rate no matter what and that the service is complimentary.....oh well...anyway....I digress.... 

But also, for those who have been to high end restaurants and seen how much knowledge those servers have to attain and know to work their, I dont see why you cant tip well especially if you can afford to eat at a place like that. They know the menu by heart, what wines to recommend, etc.

Look, the way I see it is like this - The waiters work off an hourly wage of $2.13 or whatever it is, right?

I completely understand the idea that, "Okay all this guy or girl is doing is refilling my glass, writing down my order, and coming to check on me and whomever every 10 mins." ----- So why tip when they basically are doing "nothing?" I get that mindset, but you have to really look at it as to how they make their money. If you made $2/hr and your wage is based off a society that is expected to tip, just at least give them 10 %. I make my living off of tips. Given I park cars as my part time job in school, it still is my only source of income and I do my best to make sure I provide the best service. People usually take are of me at my main lot, but it's also a country club so the clientele is a little higher......okay a lot higher.
But when I go into the city and valet at some middle class to average spots, I've had people just get in their car and say thanks, or throw me a dollar in quarters...... %!#+ makes me want to throw their change at their car as I leave. I just dont get it. The only thing I can think of is maybe people think the valets get a flat hourly rate no matter what and that the service is complimentary.....oh well...anyway....I digress.... 

But also, for those who have been to high end restaurants and seen how much knowledge those servers have to attain and know to work their, I dont see why you cant tip well especially if you can afford to eat at a place like that. They know the menu by heart, what wines to recommend, etc.

with the economy like this.... Nah, not anymore!
laugh.gif

I always double the first number i.e. 40 dollar bill=8 dollar tip. 45 dollar bill=10 dollar tip.. unless the service is horrible or bad, then I just tip what number comes to mind.

I always double the first number i.e. 40 dollar bill=8 dollar tip. 45 dollar bill=10 dollar tip.. unless the service is horrible or bad, then I just tip what number comes to mind.

Originally Posted by BroComeAtMe

...I wish some of you dudes came to "my" restaurant when I was working
It was a pretty high end sushi restaurant and only the white and asian people tipped well
30t6p3b.gif

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

It was a pretty high end sushi restaurant and only the white and asian people tipped well
30t6p3b.gif

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by georgehimself

I tip based on service. If service is bad, I give a small tip (yeah bro) but if its good, I go double tax or more.

This

I always tip, lowest 3-5, highest 7-10.

Yes, Even if the service is bad I'll tip.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

I tip based on service. If service is bad, I give a small tip (yeah bro) but if its good, I go double tax or more.

This

I always tip, lowest 3-5, highest 7-10.

Yes, Even if the service is bad I'll tip.

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

30t6p3b.gif

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

Can I ask, are you Asian? Cause in my line of work and from what I have heard from my buddy who is married to a Korean woman, he says they only tip well within their race.
Asians rarely use my valet service, and when they do they don't tip for #+%#. Ive literally seen an Asian lady pull out a $5,000 Gucci bag, and have a wad full of $100 bills, and proceed to tip me $2. 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

30t6p3b.gif

>implying
roll.gif

indifferent.gif

Can I ask, are you Asian? Cause in my line of work and from what I have heard from my buddy who is married to a Korean woman, he says they only tip well within their race.
Asians rarely use my valet service, and when they do they don't tip for #+%#. Ive literally seen an Asian lady pull out a $5,000 Gucci bag, and have a wad full of $100 bills, and proceed to tip me $2. 
indifferent.gif

That last thread was
laugh.gif

Pizza guy: "What no tip?"
Nter (can't remember who): "Yeah fall back @#$%*"

If the service was I don't tip?
My rule has always been $3-5.

That last thread was
laugh.gif

Pizza guy: "What no tip?"
Nter (can't remember who): "Yeah fall back @#$%*"

If the service was I don't tip?
My rule has always been $3-5.

Originally Posted by CampbellSoup

Look, the way I see it is like this. The waiters work off an hourly wage of $2.13 or whatever it is.

I completely understand the idea that, "Okay all this guy or girl is doing is refilling my glass, writing down my order, and coming to check on me and whomever every 10 mins." ----- So why tip when they basically are doing "nothing?" I get that mindset, but you have to really look at it as to how they make their money. If you made $2/hr and their wage is based on a society that is supposed to tip, just at least give them 10 %. I make my living off of tips. Given I park cars as my part time job in school, it still is my only source of income and I do my best to make sure I provide the best service.

Woopty damn do. Go eat at a family Oriental spot and they got their 10 y/o daughters doing this +%%% My neice is 3 and I can ask her to go get me a Coke and she can tell the difference between it and the other sodas. As far as what drinks go with what dishes, is it some formula that requires great experience, age, and skill to know? Nope, wrote memorization and that's ignoring the fact it is subjective anyways. If you can't remember, write it down. I still fail to recognize that as a skill that is just deserving of a greater tip and recognition than anything else. As for them making 2 bucks an hr. they voluntarily signed up for it, so my heart does not bleed. If they were born into some sort of waitor slavery, where they wanted to get a regular minimum wage job,but oppression forbade it, I'd make it rain.

But you signed up to make $2 an hr because 1 you know it's an unsophisticated, low skill profession and not "worthy" of much more anyways, but it's a "risk" you take that some people don't fall for the whole gratuity/service industry scam but knowing most will and on a Friday night you can easily brag about making 200 bucks in 4 hrs just filling drinks. End of the day, they generally come out ahead.

If I owned a restaurant, I'd definitely be a 2 bucks + tips type of owner too. It cuts my operating costs tremendously, about 75% per employee versus paying them like minimum wage. I've seen places that switched from one to the other (from paying full wage to deferring that onto the customers) and didn't even alter prices.

Originally Posted by CampbellSoup

Look, the way I see it is like this. The waiters work off an hourly wage of $2.13 or whatever it is.

I completely understand the idea that, "Okay all this guy or girl is doing is refilling my glass, writing down my order, and coming to check on me and whomever every 10 mins." ----- So why tip when they basically are doing "nothing?" I get that mindset, but you have to really look at it as to how they make their money. If you made $2/hr and their wage is based on a society that is supposed to tip, just at least give them 10 %. I make my living off of tips. Given I park cars as my part time job in school, it still is my only source of income and I do my best to make sure I provide the best service.

Woopty damn do. Go eat at a family Oriental spot and they got their 10 y/o daughters doing this +%%% My neice is 3 and I can ask her to go get me a Coke and she can tell the difference between it and the other sodas. As far as what drinks go with what dishes, is it some formula that requires great experience, age, and skill to know? Nope, wrote memorization and that's ignoring the fact it is subjective anyways. If you can't remember, write it down. I still fail to recognize that as a skill that is just deserving of a greater tip and recognition than anything else. As for them making 2 bucks an hr. they voluntarily signed up for it, so my heart does not bleed. If they were born into some sort of waitor slavery, where they wanted to get a regular minimum wage job,but oppression forbade it, I'd make it rain.

But you signed up to make $2 an hr because 1 you know it's an unsophisticated, low skill profession and not "worthy" of much more anyways, but it's a "risk" you take that some people don't fall for the whole gratuity/service industry scam but knowing most will and on a Friday night you can easily brag about making 200 bucks in 4 hrs just filling drinks. End of the day, they generally come out ahead.

If I owned a restaurant, I'd definitely be a 2 bucks + tips type of owner too. It cuts my operating costs tremendously, about 75% per employee versus paying them like minimum wage. I've seen places that switched from one to the other (from paying full wage to deferring that onto the customers) and didn't even alter prices.

Back
Top Bottom