Armando Galarraga, Tigers, robbed by Jim Joyce

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Hypothetically speaking, is there anything Selig could do?
Yeah, take the ball, put it in Cooperstown, and draw an asterisk on it. Galaragga deserves to be accredited in some manor solely for the way he handled himself.

i swear that is more impressive than the perfect game itself. in all seriousness.

Originally Posted by goukiteg

Originally Posted by aaronpayumo

[h6]Everybody can blame the ump for Armando Galarraga's perfect game, I'm gonna blame that runner...how you gonna hustle to the bag. C'mon son.
mad.gif

[/h6]
If you're down by 5+ runs I could see an argument for that, but 3 runs or fewer? Nah, you play hard until the end.

You think that he wanted his team to be no hit and have a perfect game go against them? No one ever wants that to happen to their team, so I would expect him to hustle all the way.

I'd like to see how angry that man is. Bet if he went to get hammered after the game, it all came out
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dwadefan

Originally Posted by goukiteg

Originally Posted by aaronpayumo

[h6]Everybody can blame the ump for Armando Galarraga's perfect game, I'm gonna blame that runner...how you gonna hustle to the bag. C'mon son.
mad.gif

[/h6]
If you're down by 5+ runs I could see an argument for that, but 3 runs or fewer? Nah, you play hard until the end.

You think that he wanted his team to be no hit and have a perfect game go against them? No one ever wants that to happen to their team, so I would expect him to hustle all the way.
First of all, you always hustle. No matter what. But even he (the runner) didnt think he was safe. As soon as they made the call he puts his hands on his head like OMG he called me safe? He knew he was out, but you dont go over there and argue that you were out. It was a terrible call and I think they can go back and give him the perfect game (they did this with CC when he was on the Brewers for a No Hitter I believe) but it wont be the same as celebrating it with your teammates in the moment.

Galarraga's reaction was priceless...Joyce's call was horrible, but I respect his admitting he was wrong.., clearly obvious, FIX IT SELIG

i dunno about Galarraga, but some pitchers get incentives for certain achievements. this blunder may have cost him good money.

i hope MLB puts in replay for bang-bang plays. Well, this case wasn't even bang-bang. Umps are too stupid nowadays.

But there is NO way MLB reviews it and says "Damn, we really blew this" and reward him with what he deserves? This isn't a regular game, this is history.

Nope.

Heartbreaking, but great class by that kid not just ranting all over the place about it.   I doubt I woulda been that calm. 

In my book it's a perfect game, @#$% what the ref says. 

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Yeah, take the ball, put it in Cooperstown, and draw an asterisk on it. Galaragga deserves to be accredited in some manor solely for the way he handled himself.

i swear that is more impressive than the perfect game itself. in all seriousness.

Cosign

They wouldn't be able to overturn the umpires call of safe. If it was a debateable play on Cabrera's part or a a bobble by Galarrage, they could have possibly switched it to an error and it would be a no hitter.

People have been bringing up redoing the final AB of the 9th innning and using George Brett's pine tar incident as a reference point but that's null because the pine tar incident was a rule being broken not the call of an umpire at a base.

It really sucks for Galarraga.

I don't pay much mind to baseball but, that is one of the worst calls I have ever seen in sports.

You CANNOT make that call even if the runner was closer than he was in that case.

And he went on to finish the last 2 batters too right? He pitched a perfect game, no 2 ways about it.

EDIT: Just saw the full review of the situation and that was with TWO OUTS!?!
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Baseball needs instant replay for that reason. And you KNOW that Commish was watching that game while that went down, he should have been on the horn instructing them to call that boy out before the next pitch was thrown. You really cant mess something like that up.

--Wow. This thing has been on TV all morning. But calls get missed I guess.
--
eyes.gif
 at people being more mad about Galarraga missing a perfect game than being happy about a Detroit win. Shows how much stats are "important" in baseball I guess.

A perfect game has only happened 20 times in the history of Major League Baseball. That's over 100 years of games played and in only 20 of those games have there been a pitcher to toss a perfect game. Tigers are going to win games regardless. A chance at history and to know your name/your teams pitchers name will go down as one of the few people to throw a perfect game and on that bad of a call? You're damn right people will be more mad over the chance to witness a perfect game than be happy over the fact that the Tigers won a game.

Back
Top Bottom