Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I’ve never related to any of the parent stereotypes. My parents spoiled tf out of me.

One time in college an African friend invited me to go to this club with him to network. President of the club and like a third of the members were African. Dude dropped a joke like “if we’re not doctors, engineers, accountants, or lawyers, our parents something something something.” I was like, bro that’s an Asian joke tf.

I read an article a while ago that showed Nigerian Americans are the most 'successful' ethnic group in the US. I imagine similar attitudes apply to other African immigrants/their children.

This Chinese eating unusual things is such an exaggeration. Been to China many times and didn’t see anyone eating anything abnormal. Of course those exist, but they’re so uncommon, similar to how dudes in the south here are eating alligators and squirrels (edit: there's even a high end restaurant in the Bay Area called La Fondue that serves alligator meat as well). In fact most of those “exotic food” stands are catered towards western tourists anyway

low hanging fruit for their racist jokes

the agent told me today they made an offer. Haven’t replied as I don’t know what to do

Was probably the best decision of my life to work out here. Tax benefits and convenience alone are a major factor to why I wouldn't want to move back home in the near future.

Have y’all experienced anything racist revolving around the corona virus?

everybody is chilling where I’m at.

My friend just sent a message on whatsapp with an article saying there’s a confirmed case of the corona virus in nearby Flushing Queens. Near the a dimsum place i’ve been craving.

We have 3 half Chinese nieces that we didn't allow to come to our new year's celebration but we did give them a little bit more in the red envelopes. I hope this virus dies down soon, we dearly miss them.

We have 3 half Chinese nieces that we didn't allow to come to our new year's celebration but we did give them a little bit more in the red envelopes. I hope this virus dies down soon, we dearly miss them.

Like straight out of China?

or you wouldnt let them come from San Diego?

dang that cold

But man I lost my brother to ALS Jan 2 of this year and we went to LA for TET and to take our minds off things.
One of our family didn't even want us to come to their house cause it will bring them bad luck for the New Year |l
It's all good tho. we'll remember that

That’s foul asf. How the hell do you treat someone worse when they lose a loved one.

I’d hold a grudge for life.

dang that cold

But man I lost my brother to ALS Jan 2 of this year and we went to LA for TET and to take our minds off things.
One of our family didn't even want us to come to their house cause it will bring them bad luck for the New Year |l
Yeah your family suppose to know not to visit other families. My uncle passed away from an aneurysm & his family (wife & kids couldn't leave the house for new years) it is self imposed.

Last edited:
dang that cold

i've heard this before but the feeling is mutual between both parties (traditionally), people that had someone that passed away won't visit, go to weddings, etc.

All of our family members in LA are very religious and traditional especially during New Years but welcome us with open arms. They were like eff it come over. We're family. Whatever happens, happens. The uncle that denied us got an ear full from my grandparents and everyone else.

When we went down there, we weren't even going to tell anyone. The 4 of us just wanted to go to Costa Mesa TET and TET at Phuoc Loc Tho and a few other places for a few days. Someone in our family told we were driving down there and everyone just called and welcome us to their house except for the 1 uncle. He was actually my favorite uncle too

Maybe they’ll bring you Coronas and no virus instead since they’re half Chinese. Jk cheap weak joke I know. But sorry that’s kinda messed up if they’ve been living in the US and not visiting from Asia and they’re not sick.

[RTRS] 30 Jan - U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT TELLS AMERICANS NOT TO TRAVEL TO CHINA DUE TO CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom