Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Keep in mind, Korea is the most homogeneous country in the world. Koreans in the US had to deal with race tensions. LA Riots. So they had to harden up real quick.
Most are super friendly , but do tend to keep to themselves (koreans only) but its comfortable and they share the same culture.
Get enough soju in and they are all wanna fight though.
Also koreans have a very distinct culture system where the younger respects the older.
Like if you're younger than me by one day, you're paying for all my meals.
Also if guys and girls are going out drinking, guys pay for EVERYTHING.

So you’ve got this backwards...

The older (or higher position in the social hierarchy) is the one that pays for the younger...
In turn the “elder” gets respect and deference from the younger ones.

It’s not just age either, sunbae- hoobae, and age group changes this.
This social hierarchy is also different and nuanced Between

Korean-Ams vs og Korean

But dude if in your circles your dongsengs be paying for you? That would’ve been awesome Hahha.
Back in the day this song captured k town culture perfectly lol

Korea and Japan are so similar but so very different in many ways.
It’s 2020 and I still have coworkers that have no perception that Japan isn’t the singular techno future place in Asia.
they still have fuzzy understandings that nk and sk are different.
some of ignorant to the point of thinking, don’t all Asian countries want to be like Japan?

They also have this perceptionthere must be an “Asian” hierarchy.

But tbh is there? Real talk AAPIs Can have some the most racist bias people around, or those that figure it’s possible to separate themselves from the “fobs”. It’s prevalent in Kor-Am, how much so for others?

So I have to remind them they are from global trendsetting places such as the IE and Kansas.
They think about it for a second and realization hits...

I know some people who still thinks Taiwan and Thailand is the same thing.

When I was younger, I was told Koreans thought they were better than everyone. Then I visited China and they thought they were better than everyone. Then I visited Japan, and they are wild humble. It's strange.

Oh btw, I always have a blast in Singapore.

I know some people who still thinks Taiwan and Thailand is the same thing.

When I was younger, I was told Koreans thought they were better than everyone. Then I visited China and they thought they were better than everyone. Then I visited Japan, and they are wild humble. It's strange.

Oh btw, I always have a blast in Singapore.
I heard Japanese ppl are reserved and won't tell you what they really think to your face

Went to Japan last year for a graduate school international trip and it was BY FAR one of the most memorable international trips I've ever taken in my life. It was a great mix of culture and sight seeing, AMAZING food, and partying at night. During the day, my classmates would do some quick business meetings then go see some cultural sights. At night, we would go out on the town and hit up bars, drink, and do Karoke. Made so many local Japanese friends. The people in Japan are so nice.

After the program, I stayed in Tokyo on my own and did see some activities on my own and still had a blast. There's this district that was already mentioned called Akihabara that is ALL dedicated for Anime and gaming. I spent half a day just walking around there and looking at everything. The Sega building was literally 7 floors of arcade games. There was another building that was all comics and anime collectibles. Nearly 10 floors. And that was just one building.

Japan was sooooo amazing. I would love to go back. I was going to plan a trip to South Korea this year but the COVID messed everything up. I've also heard it's more of just drinking, nightclubs, etc. but I want to visit for myself before I make judgement.

Ive been hearing that Akihabara is done for awhile now and to check out Nakano Broadway instead. Akihabara is exactly what you think it is, otaku paradise. Maid girls standing on the street handing out flyers.
Anyone been to both and can comment ?
Last time I went to Japan, I got this book that they sell at the temples, and we went from temple to temple and got stamps from each. These stamps are not free btw, Donations.
Also, each temple is a diety of a different thing, like money, health, and you can get charms for different things you hope for.

Nakano broadway looks like a rundown mall. Akihabara beat Nakano Broadway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of my agenda for Japan is to marry Tokyo Latina.
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f...gif

Things I can do because they're just responsible and science based:
- Wearing a mask
- taking my temp
- mandatory vaccination once/if a vaccine is available

Things that are not acceptable:
- Immunity certificate for a job application. So if I never had COVID and not yet immune, my chances of employment are reduced? that creates an incentive for people to go and get sick
- Some forms of contact tracing. There's 0% chance they remove this as soon as covid is contained/accepted as part of life. FB been using our data for years and even though it's been all over the news, have they really done anything about it? There's so many things the contact tracing will be used for not related to COVID, the government will tell you it's beneficial for you..

Again, I've been one of the "doomsdayers" since Day 1. But there's a line that can't be crossed because the people in power think they know what's best for you. This goes beyond just COVID. In the 70s, they were literally dosing people with LSD to experiment with mind control. That's public info.

This comes down to citizens being responsible. If that dude who was COVID positive knew he was positive and still entered the club, that's an irresponsible idiot.
What is really the difference between China having this weird social score because they think they know what's best for their people, and us having to present ****ing certificates to prove we're no longer at risk of COVID? Again, think outside of the COVID scenario. This kind of **** extends waaay beyond just this pandemic.

If we become a nation of irresponsible idiots, then that's what we have to deal with and responsible smart people will have to find another place to live. But the answer is not to implement more surveillance controlled by a select group of people not smarter than you and I. We can all see from certain administrations people with that kind of power can be complete ****ing morons.

Timing: you mentioned social score and surveillance yesterday in the Virus thread and this popped up in youtube vid today. Just think this barely scratches the surface of what CCP does. Catch the “Skynet” and “Black Mirror” references. Surreal stuff to research.
Sidenote: said before if authorities know you were born/from Taiwan, they want the ROC passport during visa application review no matter current/how long ago.
Parents have desire to visit Mainland, brief Shanghai/Suzhou visit long ago was enough for me. Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, SE Asia better options.

I told myself im not going to step foot ever again in China. My social score would be wild.
That vice video was from last Dec btw. It's probably way worse now.

Any Koreans in here? Need some recommendations on what brand of kimchi is the most authentic and where can I get them, specifically in the Bay Area, CA.

i'm hella late to this thread but bruh i appreciate the name "poweredbyMSG" moms used to sprinkle that **** in everything :lol:

also if you're looking for korean groceries/ingredients, Koreana Plaza in Oakland is pretty dope. if you're in the town, slide thru

Travel is on pause for the world this whole year the way things are looking.

there was just another coronavirus outbreak in Korea, Itaewon from a nightclub.

Back
Top Bottom