Asian Culture Discussion Thread

shutterstock_198480320.jpg

Yo, I never even knew what msg was until a year ago. I was at the spices / seasoning section of the grocery store and saw containers of msg. Didn't know it was just some powdered seasoning.

I don't think I've ever met a Cambodian person ever, now that I think about it.

I googled

Ah ok. Makes sense

Screenshot_20200511-014039_Chrome.jpg

*edit
Ahh nvm

I just saw this census info is only as recent as 2010

if you don't live in: Long Beach/Stockton CA, Tacoma Wa, Philly, or Lowell Ma, chances are you haven't met a cambodian person.

however, if there's an asian owned donut shop near you, chances are the person behind the counter is cambodian. put your hands in prayer pose and politely bow your head and you might slide out with half a dozen free donut holes.

There's a bunch of Cambodians and Mien in Oakland too. I went to school in O-high. Most of them still pretty traditional tho. They only date/marry within their own race and usually wants to get married really young.

It's crazy how little I knew about Asian **** until I got to college. I never had any of the popular Asian food either like kbbq, sushi, real ramen, boba, etc until college .

Couldn't tell the difference between Asians at all. I feel like I can kinda look at someone now and have a decent guess.
Lol don't worry, it's not just you

Although I think today's teens and young adults are more knowledgeable about asians than when I was growing up. I feel like asian culture has definitely got more mainstream.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day...that I feel I may have been born 15 years too early. I think non asian girls are more interested in Asian men than ever before lol

Back then there wasn't as many options. The only Boba place people knew about was Quickly's. It's not until early to mid 2000s that's when it has gotten more popular and more HK cafes/Dessert shops and ramen started popping up.

These Korean bands really helped getting Asians more attention.

I heard Japanese ppl are reserved and won't tell you what they really think to your face
There's a saying:

“The Japanese say you have three faces. The first face, you show to the world. The second face, you show to your close friends, and your family. The third face, you never show anyone, It is the truest reflection of who you are.”

You don't have to. Just brought attention to Asians in general but probably more toward Koreans and Japanese.

U talking about females specifically? Cuz in streetwear circles, japan harajuku streetwear was poppin since y2k
Shootout to copping neighborhood and visvim from Union NY

Yea. I was continuing on with E everysingletime comment
"I was talking about this with a friend the other day...that I feel I may have been born 15 years too early. I think non asian girls are more interested in Asian men than ever before lol"

I heard Harajuku was poppin before 2000. Used to be a lot more wild than what we see now. Remember the Ganguro girls?

Harajuku fashion started in the 80s and the brands really popped in the 90s. But most got big internationally in the 2000s. Im talking about streetwear brands. Ganguro was a short fad brought on by pop stars like Namie Amuro and Shibuya 109 culture.

Back
Top Bottom