Asian Culture Discussion Thread

FC851A6E-BD1A-422A-8BD7-AAABF31F8F02.gif
9C22A7C4-5BE3-4FEA-B502-168F20B343B7.gif

no love for seulgi?

Screenshot_20200521-005206_Chrome.jpg

Try out the map quiz. I got a 33 percent. I don't know most of these countries man. Wouldn't even know how to pronounce their names.

I also wonder why they counted Russia as an asian country, is that not eastern europe?

And holy cow I knew China was big but I didn't realize how big until I took the test lol

when I was living in Manila I would hit up this spot a couple times a month:

pork was juicy and sides were unlimited, good times

For a non-filipino, is the Philippines generally a safe place to visit without a personal guide?

For a non-filipino, is the Philippines generally a safe place to visit without a personal guide?
Lol the last time I was in the Philippines was before Dutuerte. Idk how it be like these days.

I personally know a black dude who's been to the Philippines more times than I have. Doesn't speak a lick of tagalog either. He loves filipino women. He is obsessed with wifing them.

In my personal experience, it was safe. Just got to stick with heavily tourist areas and feel yourself out before venturing out.

One time my uncle took me to an area where my grandma used to own a beauty salon to get my cut. We walked there. When we came back home my pops said not to do that again because that area was not considered safe anymore.

I think the coolest thing about the Philippines is that so many are comfortable with English. You don't need to know the language. The problem is they associate the English language with richness so like cab drivers will try to con you into giving more money for example

Last edited:
I haven't been there yet (was planning to go this April), but my friends that live in the Makati area of Manila have a better life than the vast majority of Americans. They're not wealthy even by local standards, and I'm still jealous of them. You should be fine there :lol:

Lol the last time I was in the Philippines was before Dutuerte. Idk how it be like these days.

I personally know a black dude who's been to the Philippines more times than I have. Doesn't speak a lick of tagalog either. He loves filipino women. He is obsessed with wifing them.

In my personal experience, it was safe. Just got to stick with heavily tourist areas and feel yourself out before venturing out.

One time my uncle took me to an area where my grandma used to own a beauty salon to get my cut. We walked there. When we came back home my pops said not to do that again because that area was not considered safe anymore.

I think the coolest thing about the Philippines is that so many are comfortable with English. You don't need to know the language. The problem is they associate the English language with richness so like cab drivers will try to con you into giving more money for example

pre covid you didnt even have to flag down cabs, grab (local uber) is very popular. and if u really want a cab, find the mall cab queue, they wont charge you more than the meter.

Yea the last time I was there, grab didn't exist. Uber didn't exist either lol.

Yea you didn't have to pay more than the meter but if you weren't local and only spoke English, my aunt says the cabs will take the long about way. They tried to do it to her and my sis once they heard my sister talk english but my aunt fixed that real quick :rofl:

Yes it is.

One good thing with Duterte, he made the Philippines safer.

Also, within Metro Manila, there is Grab (similar to Uber). So you can never get lost.

I befriended some ex army Americans visiting the phils. They said they feel safe in Manila vs a downtown in an american city at night

You have to keep in mind, the downtowns (Makati, BGC - Fort Bonifacio) in Manila rival Manhattan.

Also, the Philippines have the best beaches and the cost in those beaches are cheaper vs. being in Hawaii, Maldives etc.

Last edited:

Like others said, stick to the tourist areas and you'll be fine. There's guards all over the place in every public area. Everyone you're likely to encounter speaks or at least understands a little english. Just like any other third world country stay away from sketchy/unknown areas, keep your stuff in front of you/wallet in front pocket, dont have your phone out on the street, etc.

When I left the Philippines in 2017 they had uber, but its very possible it was taken away since then.

Yea the last time I was there, grab didn't exist. Uber didn't exist either lol.

Yea you didn't have to pay more than the meter but if you weren't local and only spoke English, my aunt says the cabs will take the long about way. They tried to do it to her and my sis once they heard my sister talk english but my aunt fixed that real quick :rofl:

or they'll try to add on an extra 50 pesos saying that's what you agreed to earlier, and you better have exact change or at least small bills because they're not giving up that extra tip if they can help it.

My aunt had a nice pool in her apartment building in Manila that no resident liked to use

I liked staying there versus my uncle's because they had a masseuse who came to your apartment and running water after midnight, and a proper ac

Screenshot_20200521-140748_Instagram.jpg

My uncle had a nice park in his neighborhood though. The roof over the basketball court was nice. I cropped the pic cuz I don't want to give away my insta lol. The wider version of the pic would've showed the park more justice

Screenshot_20200521-140824_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Like others said, stick to the tourist areas and you'll be fine. There's guards all over the place in every public area. Everyone you're likely to encounter speaks or at least understands a little english. Just like any other third world country stay away from sketchy/unknown areas, keep your stuff in front of you/wallet in front pocket, dont have your phone out on the street, etc.

When I left the Philippines in 2017 they had uber, but its very possible it was taken away since then.

uber surrendered south east asia to grab in 2018. i preferred uber tbh, they had better rates in every country. and their ui is better

yall don't have donki or marukai market? that would be the best place to find those kind of snacks

Back
Top Bottom