Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I can speak elementary level Korean
And I can speak some Japanese.

studied Japanese in college but after I graduated I forgot a lot because I wasn’t consistently using the language.
I hear ya.

I took French in high school for four years.

I studied Korean for the last two months.

I'm presently better at Korean than French, and my Korean is at baby level.

You don't use it, you lose it :lol:

Thanks for sharing. I had similar emotions, anger/sadness/more anger/more sadness. My parents worked nights when I was a kid so we had a katulong growing up, and looking back I wouldn't imagine any of us treating her badly let alone as a damn slave. While I'm glad Lola got to go home before she passed, I hoped she just stayed there but I get why she didn't just like the author said.

I doubt this happens in the US anymore, but I'm 99% sure this same scenario goes on in the PI. Even sadder that it's often their own blood family, you take a girl cousin from the province who's 200x poorer than you make her work for the money you send to her family. Your family :angry::smh::frown:

sometimes it be your own people. doesn't matter if you're blood or not, some rich or even middle class folks will treat you like crap :smh:

I once tutored for a really rich family in Taipei (think Parasite) and they had a live in Filipino helper.
They treated her like poop.
I asked the mother, aren't you afraid of theft, since she had a whole collection of Birkin bags in full display in her closet.
And she said "no because she's never allowed to leave the house without permission and if she does steal, they'll ship her back to the Philippines.
:smh:
And yes, the mother would sleep all day.

Last edited:
My family had a live in maid in the Philippines. I don't remember her but I'd like to think they treated her well.

8F21D37B-8C47-418B-BA26-5CB214881972.jpeg
1F0BB651-AF65-48B2-BDF0-570B3F1959A0.jpeg
4FF2061F-9CE0-4AE2-ABB3-56D9FF41CFBC.jpeg
AC749B96-917B-4DFB-8658-CFB6E918B1AD.jpeg
64344445-BAD5-4386-92BD-24390D251A86.jpeg
270021FE-3A78-4C03-B276-07AECB1FD53F.jpeg
8DBA71AC-9DF3-4A69-9847-6FFF38C6BEB4.jpeg
7AC9600E-46CD-4EF6-8220-99CF762184C5.jpeg
0211B32F-6A29-4B84-93B7-F26FEB31AFC2.jpeg
6810E1C5-ABA8-486A-B77A-8F50690E5562.jpeg

Let me contribute some food pics. Most of the time I try not to eat too fancy and try to get what the locals get, maybe once every other day. Still ended up eating like a tourist haha

Last edited by a moderator:
ichiran ..im not impressed by their ramen to be honest.

everything else is legit.

I never made it to the fish market. I have a hard time waking up early due to the time difference.

A lot of the department stores in Tokyo has a great food market in the basement level where you can get really decent food to go.
The top floors has honestly good selection of restaurants.
I recommend Isetan in Shinjuku.

ichiran ..im not impressed by their ramen to be honest.
I liked it. But my stomach doesn’t handle oily broth well...still ate it daily tho. Worth the pain. :lol:

Tokyo Station is huge and a lot of food options too. It’s like a mini underground city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my picture obviously...had to google, but this was the best ramen I've ever had

Not that I've had a lot of ramen.

The meat effing melted in your mouth

Screenshot_20200520-195338_Chrome.jpg

Stop by Shinka Ramen next time you in NYC. For my northeast nters, if you know a better spot in NYC than this lmk what I'm missing out on.

I use to go to Minca when I lived downtown NY

Shinka is new right ? cuz I never heard of it before.
Just checked, 2017. Yeah I never been. Looks good though form their prestige.

$20 a bowl?

Is there anywhere in SoCal or even the US to get good Japanese katsu? L&L is good, but nowhere near the same. I'm talking like quality pork cutlet and the AYCE cabbage/sides lol.

i use to religiously go to UDON West (St Marks) for tonkatsu, for like 10 years when I lived in NYC. and also Sushi park until it literally exploded.

I go to Izakaya Gazen when Im in LA but dunno if they have katsu.

i use to religiously go to UDON West (St Marks) for tonkatsu, for like 10 years when I lived in NYC. and also Sushi park until it literally exploded.
I've never been but I think I know what place you talking about. If I am correct, that place has lines for days lol

I've never been but I think I know what place you talking about. If I am correct, that place has lines for days lol
You're probably thinking of Totto . Udon west is more of a LES, NYU crowd. Back in the days Id go to Yakitori Taisho cuz I was broke. And then pick up an onigiri at Sunrise Mart.

ebi burger is definitely legit

Is there anywhere in SoCal or even the US to get good Japanese katsu? L&L is good, but nowhere near the same. I'm talking like quality pork cutlet and the AYCE cabbage/sides lol.

LA must have a few tonkatsu restaurants

ebi burger is definitely legit

LA must have a few tonkatsu restaurants

looks bomb, on my list. thanks bruh.

Back
Top Bottom