Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Speaking of snacks. I always pick up a couple tins of these at any Japan airport .
TB1qMcHMVXXXXbBXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Not sure if this is 'Asian' culture....but the subjects are Asian people. Incredible story. Literally broke my heart. Made me sad. Made me angry. Had to stop 3-4 times just to let the tears flow. Definitely worth a read. I guess the article has been out for a bit, but I just came across it and had to read it simply because the cover photo looked so much like a photo of one of my family members when they were younger.

Check it out.

My Family’s Slave
She lived with us for 56 years. She raised me and my siblings without pay. I was 11, a typical American kid, before I realized who she was.

finally took the time to read this article. before I can say anything else, Rest in Peace to Lola. she is a champion with a heart the size of an ocean; how anyone can experience that type of treatment for half a century and still find the compassion to love, care for, and miss the people that essentially imprisoned you is incredible humanity.

similar to freeze, by the end of this article i was in tears. for those who read it, i know it must have been a roller coaster of emotions for yall as well. I was all over the place: mad, to hella mad, to feeling "wtf, DO SOMETHING" about the author and his siblings, to a place of understanding of why Lola just sort of acquiesced and accepted her situation. while im not filipino myself, I could definitely saw elements of Lola's life in mom's experience: the rural countryside childhood, the complete separation from family for decades, the dislocation from place of birth, and the trauma of living in a country for 50 years that'll never be home. this article just hit home in a way that was hella painful. in the back of my head, i couldn't help but wonder about just how many other women this has happened to and continues to happen to.

it's interesting that a lot of hollywood hints at the culture of having a Filipina and Mexican or Central American live-in domestic/nanny (when it's a european, white woman, they call her an au-pair, why tho??). in any case, the author does bring up a need for there to be better regulation and monitoring of this industry. im guilty of not knowing more or enough about it myself but it seems ripe for human trafficking and parallels that of indentured servitude, if not outright slavery.

definitely a worthwhile read. i took down a bunch of quotes from it for no other reason. good looks on the article freeze freeze

Damn, ya'll making me wanna go to Philippines. I was trying to plan a trip this summer but that was all out with the window with COVID. I honestly love Filipino women myself. As someone who has a thing for latinas, Filipino women have certain physical latin traits.

It wasn't until I went to Japan and started watching KPOP that I started really checking out other Asian women.

How do you guys feel about yogurt sake?

I did not know there was such a thing.

I'm just browsing through Japanese websites delivering to the USA and saw they have yogurt sake. Sounds interesting.

CCP taking advantage of COVID19 to seize control of "Lost" territories? Yeah no one saw that coming.

How do you guys feel about yogurt sake?

I did not know there was such a thing.

I'm just browsing through Japanese websites delivering to the USA and saw they have yogurt sake. Sounds interesting.
Never had yogurt sake before but I'd give it a try. I like a good Dassai but I'm not a snob that I wouldn't try something like that.

BTW Socal people, you guys ever go to that Japanese food fair in the hotel where it's $50 a head for unlimited food and sake?

Last edited:
Im not one for conspiracy theories but all last year, all we heard about Hong Kong was about the massive street protests until.....

You're next Taiwan. better hold it down, word to the South.

Was trying to decide between

This
20200521_162128.jpg

And

This

20200521_161804.jpg

Ended up going with the Korean version and it's really good so far. Better than Tunnel already.

If anyone is looking for a great Japanese film I recommend 1 Litre of Tears. It’s a great film for sure.

It’s based on a true story of a Aya Kito, a dying girl who wrote a diary before she died due to an extremely rare disease in the 80’s. I believe the disease is still incurable even today.

I found out about this film through Twice Sana. She said that this was one of her favorite films of all time that made her cry.

Aya_Kitō.jpg

If anyone is looking for a great Japanese film I recommend 1 Litre of Tears. It’s a great film for sure.

It’s based on a true story of a Aya Kito, a dying girl who wrote a diary before she died due to an extremely rare disease in the 80’s. I believe the disease is still incurable even today.

I found out about this film through Twice Sana. She said that this was one of her favorite films of all time that made her cry.

Aya_Kitō.jpg

Going to check this out this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom