Asian Culture Discussion Thread

thoughts?

I'm a Cal Alum c/o '08 and I'm 100% on board with repealing prop 209. It was about time the UCs reinstated Affirmative Action.

Asian American folk, we needa stop acting like Affirmative Action is an existential threat to our community. It has no impact on the representation of Asians in higher education. In 1996, Asians made up 36.1% of UCs. 15 years after the banning of Affirmative Action, Asians made up 39.8%. That is is not a significant increase. Stop being played by hella conservative East Asian parents who are scared that Black and Brown kids are gonna "steal" their kids college admissions. get all the way the **** outta here with that nonsense.

You know who's taking the seats of Asian Americans? International students. In the last 20 years UC campuses have gone from being 4% international to being 14%; that's biggest net difference for any subgroup. For an institution that prides itself on being a place of learning for California's students, they're certainly admitting more non-Californians.

I'm a Cal Alum c/o '08 and I'm 100% on board with repealing prop 209. It was about time the UCs reinstated Affirmative Action.

Asian American folk, we needa stop acting like Affirmative Action is an existential threat to our community. It has no impact on the representation of Asians in higher education. In 1996, Asians made up 36.1% of UCs. 15 years after the banning of Affirmative Action, Asians made up 39.8%. That is is not a significant increase. Stop being played by hella conservative East Asian parents who are scared that Black and Brown kids are gonna "steal" their kids college admissions. get all the way the **** outta here with that nonsense.

You know who's taking the seats of Asian Americans? International students. In the last 20 years UC campuses have gone from being 4% international to being 14%; that's biggest net difference for any subgroup. For an institution that prides itself on being a place of learning for California's students, they're certainly admitting more non-Californians.

international students got international student tuition/fees/cash flow....

Damn didn’t know about those stats. Maybe I got lost in the “divide and conquer” sauce that hurts all PoC. Do you mean that asian/other international students are taking up spots of specifically Asian Americans or just in general?

I still stand by the affirmative action shouldn’t be based on race/gender but by socioeconomic status though. Jose from Brentwood has had more advantage than Bradley from South LA.

I get this. Soooo many international students when I went to UC.

I saw some **** where people were like Asian admissions/enrollment gonna drop to 15% lol.

Damn didn’t know about those stats. Maybe I got lost in the “divide and conquer” sauce that hurts all PoC. Do you mean that asian/other international students are taking up spots of specifically Asian Americans or just in general?

I still stand by the affirmative action shouldn’t be based on race/gender but by socioeconomic status though. Jose from Brentwood has had more advantage than Bradley from South LA.
I get this. Soooo many international students when I went to UC.

I saw some **** where people were like Asian admissions/enrollment gonna drop to 15% lol.

Appreciate the qualified sincere point of views and want to hear followup opinions.
College admissions are a zero-sum game. The fact that current numbers and percentages are still close enough to previous levels should automatically cause us to question the process and motive for change back. Quick check online of the above numbers were similar but maybe different if just Cal vs UC System wide.

Can’t fault the older generations for being skeptical and looking out for next generations’ interest. Not all of them came here or have silver spoons. Think we all agree that Higher Education have problems with legacy admissions and addiction to higher cost for out of state & international students. Bet a factor in those numbers & percentages i.e. most international students are Asian.

Personally much more supportive using socioeconomic/financial needs than straight up race/gender. Also instate and US national over foreign. And forget Donation and Legacy automatics.
Numbers change, people can be mixed heritage. Admission committees already have personal bias when deciding who and how many get in. Why provide them additional political cover. Look at what got you into the school system. You know your grades, scores, activities, etc. What do you tell the kid who didn’t get in (Asian or not) but had comparable or better credentials. Or the kid that is middle class looking at minority scholarships that specifically excluded Asians.

(Graduated with all the bells and whistles before any of you did and not from California so UC System wasn’t considered. One of those middle class Asian kids that didn’t get free money until overachieved in college and earned the funds.)

dancers re: protests

Some Asian artists I stumbled across

Filipino singer

South Asian

Last edited:

:smh::angry:

"stress of cooking during a pandemic" gtf oh you about to lose yo job jackass. hopefully that dude gets cancelled and his restaurants go under.

:rofl: at accusing a Vietnamese women of racially profiling you because she corrected a typo on the spelling of a dish from her culture. Dude’s ego is fragile af.

I agree with favouring with the socioeconomic status. Although, poor blacks and native americans should be favoured the most. With hundreds of years of slavery, abuse, erasing their culture, they deserve their seats in higher learning automatically.

05 grad here. Once you make real money, you realize how effin easy it is to make money if you do chase it - and that's me coming from a middle class family.

New to Hulu July 1. Seen before. Interesting vid.

https://press.hulu.com/schedule/july-2020/

Creator was a relatively well known TWN chef.

One of producers also wrote fun little book on history development of the Chinese restaurant fortune cookie.

Edit: docu does good job going beyond food ie. American immigrant experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom