Asian Culture Discussion Thread

^ That smell.

Mixed flavored soju is :smh:  for me. The soju cocktail stuff will creep up on you because all that sugar.
Just the straight soju by the glass to drink casually is the way for me now. As an old Korean man its running through my veins.

Soju and beer is a personal preference of mine. I usually mix like this..in fact I'm doing that this very minute :lol: .
We also don't like Henny too much, but any Scotch Johnny, Glen__, etc, 12 years and up we love.

Ktown isn't what it used to be so I say go hit up any Buena Park drinking place. There's a  new place someone I know opened up in Rowland Heights. Gunul2. Bomb Korean fusion/bar food. The owner is also an amazing artist and has her work and murals on the walls.

Just to keep it down for the sneakers, my favorite piece:

View media item 2397478

View media item 2397480
I like that, does she have a site where she sells her prints?

just googled her: http://mimiyoon.bigcartel.com/

A fellow Asian is going to get paid in full courtesy of United Airlines and their flights will be cheap for the next little while. I'm not eem mad!

I've been saying **** United Airlines, only company that's ever given me trouble while flying

United Airlines ALWAYS does me dirty. Hate them with a passion

Worst experience is when they nearly crashed our plane halfway over the Atlantic Ocean and delayed me by 12 hours. All they gave me was a $100 voucher for my trouble :stoneface:

These days I only go on United when I'm forced to for work, but even then there's constant delays, cancellations, maintenance issues, lost luggage, etc. with ZERO legitimate explanation or reimbursement.

They have the cheapest international flights, but I gladly pay an extra $100-$200 more for a 10000x better experience on Asian airline companies like Singapore (the GOAT), Asiana, Korean, EVA, etc. I've traveled to Asia 2-3 times a year for my entire life, and I've NEVER had any issue with any of them.

Last edited:
Last time I flew United was from LA to NY but my luggage was in Chicago some how (They forced me check my carry on bag) SMH

Didn't get my bag back for almost a month and they didn't offer me **** and the customer service was awful the whole time. I was constantly lied to and given the run around.

Anyways since this is the Asian culture thread, Asian airlines >>>>

The Incheon airport is by far the nicest one I've ever been to, I'd live there

Last time I flew United was from LA to NY but my luggage was in Chicago some how (They forced me check my carry on bag) SMH

Didn't get my bag back for almost a month and they didn't offer me **** and the customer service was awful the whole time. I was constantly lied to and given the run around.

Anyways since this is the Asian culture thread, Asian airlines >>>>

The Incheon airport is by far the nicest one I've ever been to, I'd live there

flight attendants can be fine as hell too

Last edited:
Definitely. The good Asian airline companies are unbeatable; they do everything they can to make an 10-12 hour flight across the Pacific Ocean comfortable. Amazing food, friendly and attentive cabin crews (and yeah, alot of those women are :pimp:) , comfortable seats, high end entertainment systems, perfect customer service, etc. Companies like United and American do everything in their power to make you miserable.

My favorite airport is Changi Airport in Singapore. It's like an entire high end city in there, and because it's a major connecting airport, you see so many different types of people flying to cities you've never even heard of. Incheon is probably second to me, and Hong Kong third. Coming back to SFO and LAX feels like landing in a third world country :lol:

Also, I'm specifying "good" companies because although the major Asian airlines are all excellent, some of those cheaper Chinese ones can be as bad as United/American. But at least they have so many good options throughout the continent. Over here, we have nothing but @#@$. Virgin America is good for domestic travel, and Southwest is cheap and convenient. That's about it

Last edited:

saw this as well.

though the man should've gotten off (im assuming its legal for airlines to bump people off if its over crowded), the cop in no way had to use any physical force.

If no one wants to get off, here's what you do: you offer more money.

Offer me 2 grand? I'll get off. :lol:

Last edited:
Or be competent and not overbook flights. I have no idea how this overbooking thing happens in 2017. Again, NEVER ran into that issue while traveling in Asia, and I've only experienced it with United and American.

Last edited:
Or be competent and not overbook flights. I have no idea how this overbooking thing happens in 2017. Again, NEVER ran into that issue while traveling in Asia, and I've only experienced it with United and American.

nah, it happens a lot on domestic flights, all airlines do this

I believe you, just saying United and American Airlines are the only ones I've personally seen it happening on, and it happens pretty much on every single flight I've been on with them. I travel on Southwest and Virgin America once or twice a month, and I don't remember any overbooking drama on any of my flights with them.

Last edited:
I believe you, just saying United and American Airlines are the only ones I've personally seen it happening on, and it happens pretty much on every single flight I've been on with them.

i typically only fly southwest (norcal to socal, vice versa) and never really dealt with overbooking.

maybe it doesn't really happen on intl flights cause its much more expensive. not sure what cancellation costs are like for those.

Last edited:
Same. Southwest is my go to airline to because of the free checked in luggage and overall low fares. I run into some tolerable delays with them from time to time but it's never something serious like having major mechanical failures midair or sending my luggage to a different city. They once delayed me by 3 hours and gave me a $150 voucher, which is more than what United gave me for trying to kill me and delaying me by 12 hours

Virgin is the best domestic airline overall to me though. I always fly with them when I fly to the East Coast. If they were $30-40 cheaper for flights to LA/SD, I'd use them a lot more

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and don't fly those cheap China airlines

Their planes are older, have less leg room and food sucks

My friend flew china eastern or southern once or something had a 2 hr layover in North Korea

I really only fly Hawaiian, not the best but usually have the best deals flying out of Honolulu. If I had the cash I would fly Korean Air.

Repped to those on the last page checking out homegirl Mimi's work. Support our fellow creators and small business owners. Whenever I see how you "younger" generation kids have diversified and branched out, it makes me hopeful for my son's future. Its amazing how much Asian American culture has grown. Just to be clear, there are many recent events that show how much farther we have to go, but don't forget, there was a time when we weren't even in the conversation.  

If anyone is ever going to Korea or Japan, it's worth it to pay the extra for Korean Air or Asiana imo. All the good things everyone has already mentioned and more. The KAL Lounge at LAX is dope. The Skypass lounge at Incheon is amazing.

My friends in Korea can't get over how busted our American airlines are, especially the stewardesses and service.

I have flown on the business and prestige class back to Korea, and that's just a different level of amazing. Thank God for Chase Sapphire cards and mileage upgrades
laugh.gif

I was busy at work I didn't see any news all day... but wondering wth are so many people asking me if I saw the "United" news. I had no idea the doctor was Asian.

This reminded me of a time when I had a job that required working a register. It was one of my first experiences of how uncomfortable people can be when it comes to anything slightly related to race and ethnicity.

Me: "Did anyone help you out today?"

Customer: "Oh some guy, I don't remember his name"

Me: "Was it any of them?" (pointing to a group of 3-4 guys standing kind of close to each other).

Customer: "Oh, maybe. I think so" (suddenly looking nervous)

Me: "Umm which one was it?

Customer: "Err well I think it's him" (Vaguely points in the direction of all 4 of them)

Me:  Was it him? Was it him? Him? ........him??? (as I point to each one thinking this to taking too long)

Customer: "I'm not sure, he was about your height and I think he had on a blue shirt" The person continued to struggle and try to describe the person in the dumbest ways..."he has hair...I think maybe an earring....a deep voice"

Me: ....... 
indifferent.gif

(In this retail job....all the associates had on blue shirts, including me, and the group of guys were all about my height, 6'1- 6'3,)

Now this group consisted of 3 blond white guys and 1 black guy.

Me: " Do you mean ____, was he black?"

Customer: "Oh, yes! it was _____, but was he black? I'm not sure"

Me: .....................
mean.gif

Granted this was many years ago, in a place very different from SoCal. 

First time seeing someone become so awkward. It's like the person was so desperate to figure out a way to not say "the black guy". I wonder if they would have struggled to say "the blond guy".

During my time there I had customers bow to me, refer to me as the Chinese guy, the Oriental, the "are you North or South Korea" the "Oh my son takes Tae Kwon Do" or "I've visited random Asian country" the "You have no accent!?" My sarcastic response has always been "Oh, English is so easy to learn, plus I'm Asian, so it only took me 2 years"

Inadvertently showing their ignorance but I never got belligerent because I knew those were attempts to show some kind of affinity or as they say, that they are "woke". Lol.

I'm no PC crusader, but I'm the type of guy that loves to talk and educate others about my culture. I once asked someone why racism is always talked about only in black and white terms, why aren't Asian even mentioned. The response was stuck with me, why should I stand up for you when you won't even speak for yourself?

Back
Top Bottom