Big Brother - Kanye West, what do y'all think?

Now I know the album was out for a while, but me and my friends had a discussion about this song.
Now I think it's tight how Kanye PERFECTLY illustrates his position as the "little brother", always looking up to Jay and what not, and how Kanyematured with the Roc.
You can tell there's definitely lots of respect, and Kanye tells it what it is.
pimp.gif

Def. one of my favourite joints in the album.
My dude says that a song dedicated to Jay is absurd, especially how throughout the song he references him as Big Brother this, Big Brother that and how Kanyewas lil brother this, and lil brother that.
Now I was surprised, because like I said, Kanye wanted to illustrate his position from the past to now, and he does that almost perfectly.

So my question to you NT, what do you think about this track?
think it was a little to much to have a song dedicated to Hov, or you think the song was
pimp.gif
?

beat is sick toomp
smokin.gif

nice track deffinetly better to dedicate a song than to name drop every other bar word to the game

that track is totally !#@+... it should be called big daddy....and mention how he has to boss up jay to move up the Roc

this joint, dear mama, never let you down, all falls down, bring me down, crack music, and roses are all
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

these tracks are as real as music can get... it seemed like he couldnt hold these thoughts inside of him anymore and expressed all his anxieties in lyric form

pure crack

I've ALWAYS felt that this song was a bit too much. If a person had passed and a song was done to honor their name, i think that it's ok, butdedicating an ENTIRE song to another man is OD. I think it would've been a lot better had he chosed 3 people that he had high regard for and gave eachperson a verse.And the fact that he closed the album with it just makes it worse IMO.

Think about it like this, Ye has 3 songs in which he focused on a specific person:
1) Jesus Walks, OK.
2) Hey Mama, OK.
3) Big Brother
indifferent.gif
no sir.

Didn't like the song much, either (or the album for that matter).

The beat has one note in the loop off by half a step. I cringe every time I hear it. I haven't listened to it in a while because of that, but if I rememberright, a C-natural should have been a C-sharp. Pretty ignorant imo. Besides the no way jose line, the lyrics are pretty good

Ok! Now I agree that the song is BANANAS........BUT the only problem is that he isn't looked at as a Lil Brother. If I'm right, Jay didn't evenwant him on ROC. Me personally, if I were in Kanye's shoes I would've said he's a good mentor and maybe throught the couple years he's actuallybeen there, that Jay became a friend. Granted now things have changed seeing as how Kanye became bigger than the WORLD. I just think it's way more peoplein his life besides a rapper that he looked up to, to say that they are his Big Brother. Me and my guys tend to have this discussion all the time about thissong. Don't get me wrong, I love the wordplay and the emotion is through the roof, so I'm not knocking the song in a sense, I just don't think Iwould've done that song for him. But you never know unless you are in that person's shoes.......

a bit wack... among the worst 3 tracks on Graduation along with Drunk and Hot Girls and Stronger imo.

"If you admire somebody, wont you go 'head tell 'em
People never get the flowers while they could still smell 'em"

pimp.gif

Dope track all the way around, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by youngp773

Ok! Now I agree that the song is BANANAS........BUT the only problem is that he isn't looked at as a Lil Brother. If I'm right, Jay didn't even want him on ROC. Me personally, if I were in Kanye's shoes I would've said he's a good mentor and maybe throught the couple years he's actually been there, that Jay became a friend. Granted now things have changed seeing as how Kanye became bigger than the WORLD. I just think it's way more people in his life besides a rapper that he looked up to, to say that they are his Big Brother. Me and my guys tend to have this discussion all the time about this song. Don't get me wrong, I love the wordplay and the emotion is through the roof, so I'm not knocking the song in a sense, I just don't think I would've done that song for him. But you never know unless you are in that person's shoes.......

I like the song but it makes u think. U always hearing allese stories about Jay-z and how he selfish and all that. That makes me not even feel dude(eventhough i bought american gangster) He be on some other $$!* and he fake. he didnt even want kanye on the roc and now look he the only one making the roc money.And then look what he did to cam'ron. He kept pushin his album back. And if u peep nobody on the roc really gets promotion unless its a jay-z album. Thatsprobably y Kanye chose to have the same release day as 50. and then look at what he did to dame. he was scandalous. Got him kicked outta the Def Jam buildingand not just that he did Dame crazy(watch beef IV) One of the reasons i dont be feeling him is cause he be on some arrogant type of $$!*. When truth be told inall honesty(i know what im about to say cant be proven but its what i believe) if Pac and Big wouldnt have been shot he would have been out of the rap game. Hecame in at a time when as far as rap, fans had to look for people to fill that void. thats howwe got them dmx's, jay-z's, $$!* even cash money weneeded someone to take rap where we new if big and pac was still alive would be on a totally new level right now

Originally Posted by youngp773

Ok! Now I agree that the song is BANANAS........BUT the only problem is that he isn't looked at as a Lil Brother. If I'm right, Jay didn't even want him on ROC. Me personally, if I were in Kanye's shoes I would've said he's a good mentor and maybe throught the couple years he's actually been there, that Jay became a friend. Granted now things have changed seeing as how Kanye became bigger than the WORLD. I just think it's way more people in his life besides a rapper that he looked up to, to say that they are his Big Brother. Me and my guys tend to have this discussion all the time about this song. Don't get me wrong, I love the wordplay and the emotion is through the roof, so I'm not knocking the song in a sense, I just don't think I would've done that song for him. But you never know unless you are in that person's shoes.......

I like the song but it makes u think. U always hearing allese stories about Jay-z and how he selfish and all that. That makes me not even feel dude(eventhough i bought american gangster) He be on some other #*!# and he fake. he didnt even want kanye on the roc and now look he the only one making the roc money.And then look what he did to cam'ron. He kept pushin his album back. And if u peep nobody on the roc really gets promotion unless its a jay-z album. Thatsprobably y Kanye chose to have the same release day as 50. and then look at what he did to dame. he was scandalous. Got him kicked outta the Def Jam buildingand not just that he did Dame crazy(watch beef IV) One of the reasons i dont be feeling him is cause he be on some arrogant type of #*!#. When truth be told inall honesty(i know what im about to say cant be proven but its what i believe) if Pac and Big wouldnt have been shot he would have been out of the rap game. Hecame in at a time when as far as rap, fans had to look for people to fill that void. thats howwe got them dmx's, jay-z's, #*!# even cash money weneeded someone to take rap where we new if big and pac was still alive would be on a totally new level right now

Love the song basically because of the beat, but I like how Kanye paid his respects.

But the "No way Jose" line has to go.

That song was the best song to me on the album and it caught my attention right away. Alot of guys be on that whole egotistical (if thats a word) *$+ aboutgiving another guy his props and its not really all that serious to begin with. Its one of the best songs i have heard honestly and you can tell a certain typeof emotion was into that particular track by him telling us how he started off.

Is kanye and Jay-Z that close on a personal level? It seems like their relationship is more professional to me. I agree that the song is kinda corny.

Back
Top Bottom