Black Culture Discussion Thread

Y'all watching Roots? I just can't sit through anymore slave movies/shows. Us being servants, getting toutured. All these slave movies are getting old. African people were the first people on earth, our history is way more than slavery. It's like they refuse to show anything else when it comes to black history. I'll watch the Nat Turner movie when it comes out but other than that I'm good. Hidden Colors series is way better than these same ol stories.

me and my fiancee have been watching it...she is enjoying it...i see where you are coming from though...but kunta
Good read

The color of love: Dirk Nowitzki opens up on his interracial marriage The Dallas Mavericks star talks being married to a black woman and raising biracial children : https://theundefeated.com/features/...owitzki-opens-up-on-his-interracial-marriage/

good read...dirk a real one...

View media item 2293997

been hearing a lot about it...haven't had the time to check on it though...heard its really good...

Good read

The color of love: Dirk Nowitzki opens up on his interracial marriage The Dallas Mavericks star talks being married to a black woman and raising biracial children : https://theundefeated.com/features/...owitzki-opens-up-on-his-interracial-marriage/

Awesome piece

I especially like the way he's going about being a parent. I try to emulate the same style when it comes to my daughter and so far it's working

Firm, disciplined, demander of respect, but also loving and caring at the same time.

Raising a black girl in today's society is the scariest thing in the world to me but so far I'm doing it successfully and it's easily the greatest thing I've ever done.

Defamation Lawsuit Against Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby Allowed to Move Forward
proxy.jpg

:smh:
she gon lose , they been in their feelings against shorty for a min now :smh: ...the Baltimore police in general still salty over the Freddie situation/riots, they barely even give an effort at policing these days

That dirk pic in African garb will always get a chuckle out of me. But nothing but respect :pimp:

You can have fun without paying for college tuition. Anyone going to college for anything other than gaining skills to be able to contribute to building I can care less for.

You can have fun without paying for college tuition. Anyone going to college for anything other than gaining skills to be able to contribute to building I can care less for.

How many black people in their 20's/30's can tell you anything about the blues? Without people documenting, storing, and studying it, imagine how many artists and genres created by us could be forgotten or even claimed by others. As a fellow African, you should be familiar with the amount of people who deny the very existence and/or sophistication of african cultures because of our own propensity to rely on oral transmission of our knowledge rather than documenting our ways. Were it not for hieroglyphics, who knows what would be said about ancient egyptian civilization today?

How many black people in their 20's/30's can tell you anything about the blues? Without people documenting, storing, and studying it, imagine how many artists and genres created by us could be forgotten or even claimed by others. As a fellow African, you should be familiar with the amount of people who deny the very existence and/or sophistication of african cultures because of our own propensity to rely on oral transmission of our knowledge rather than documenting our ways. Were it not for hieroglyphics, who knows what would be said about ancient egyptian civilization today?

ain't none of that gonna save us right now. You're free to worry about that kind of stuff if you want though. Like I said, my opinion is it is foolish to go into debt going to college for stuff like that in this day and age especially being black as you don't have the luxury of graduating and then having someone pay your bills and stuff.

1804: The Hidden History of Haiti
View media item 22956291804: The Hidden History of Haiti is a feature length documentary film about the untold history of the Haitian revolution. This new compelling film is produced and directed by the creator of the critically acclaimed Hidden Colors documentary series.

Donate to the Indiegogo here: https://igg.me/at/1804/x

Last edited:
watched noisey last night...Mistah fab spittin some truth....

starts @ 34:28

Always thought E-40 was trash but ALWAYS respected him as a business man. Damn Shame black folks from the South and West Coast followed NYC acts by selling their souls to record labels.

ain't none of that gonna save us right now. You're free to worry about that kind of stuff if you want though. Like I said, my opinion is it is foolish to go into debt going to college for stuff like that in this day and age especially being black as you don't have the luxury of graduating and then having someone pay your bills and stuff.
Both of yall make great points, but there isnt an either or to this. While it is important to make the most of opportunities to gain an economic advantage, it's still unwise to neglect history and culture as they play major parts not only in the lives of everyday people, but they comprise parts of a person's identity.

It was the theft and degrading of African history and culture that encouraged European enslavement and disfranchisement of Africans in the first place. Without that component, we don't get scholars like Dubois, Carter G Woodson, John Hope Franklin etc. And if people like that don't come along, then we don't see the Harlem Renaissance, The civil rights movement, Malcolm X,The Black Panthers, the Black Power movement, and the Black Studies Movement to legitimize African history as a serious curriculum. All of these aspects of scholarship and activist work are vitally important in how we view culture, how we view blackness, and he we view ourselves. 

Both of yall make great points, but there isnt an either or to this. While it is important to make the most of opportunities to gain an economic advantage, it's still unwise to neglect history and culture as they play major parts not only in the lives of everyday people, but they comprise parts of a person's identity.

It was the theft and degrading of African history and culture that encouraged European enslavement and disfranchisement of Africans in the first place. Without that component, we don't get scholars like Dubois, Carter G Woodson, John Hope Franklin etc. And if people like that don't come along, then we don't see the Harlem Renaissance, The civil rights movement, Malcolm X,The Black Panthers, the Black Power movement, and the Black Studies Movement to legitimize African history as a serious curriculum. All of these aspects of scholarship and activist work are vitally important in how we view culture, how we view blackness, and he we view ourselves. 

Once again it is foolish to go into debt at a White institution to learn about what it is to be Black. Black people face an economic issue. People use learning history as a scapegoat on not focusing on economics. Look at Harlem and all these other cities where everyone can tell you everything about Africa but the areas is rapidly being gentrified.

Black people need to solve their economic issue before worrying about anything else. Solving the economic issue will allow Blacks to actually build their own independent institutions to teach their you how they need to be taught.

What good is going into debt at a white institution and not gain tangible skills after wards and still end up being dependent on systematic white supremacy to show you mercy?

Either way I`m not trying to convince people, I`m only trying to find those who are focus on economics, anyone else is free to do what they please.

And forgive me as I`m not trying to come off as rude, but the time for debate is over, so as I said people are free to do as they please as anyone who I need to convince to build is someone I`d rather not waste time on in these crucial times.

Last edited:

definitely not either or, i do wonder what students walk away from these hip hop based courses with...i guess it could be an enriching, fun experience to have an intellectual discussion on the themes of spottieottiedopaliscious...culture is valuable but very nebulous, it is always changing, discarding, and rediscovering at different times for different people(s) and varying across each of those aspects, scholarship informs part of the discussion around culture & self but people have never needed scholars(hip) to make decisions in those arenas, most just get busy living and figuring it out as we go...i wonder though, how exactly are these things viewed? is there consensus? should there be? does it even matter either way?

Once again it is foolish to go into debt at a White institution to learn about what it is to be Black. Black people face an economic issue. People use learning history as a scapegoat on not focusing on economics. Look at Harlem and all these other cities where everyone can tell you everything about Africa but the areas is rapidly being gentrified.

Black people need to solve their economic issue before worrying about anything else. Solving the economic issue will allow Blacks to actually build their own independent institutions to teach their you how they need to be taught.

What good is going into debt at a white institution and not gain tangible skills after wards and still end up being dependent on systematic white supremacy to show you mercy?

Either way I`m not trying to convince people, I`m only trying to find those who are focus on economics, anyone else is free to do what they please.

And forgive me as I`m not trying to come off as rude, but the time for debate is over, so as I said people are free to do as they please as anyone who I need to convince to build is someone I`d rather not waste time on in these crucial times.
There isn't anything wrong with people going to school to study their history and culture. Academia was one of the weapons that whites used to not only whitewash the history of Africa, but it was used to justify slavery and the mistreatment of Africans. Black/Africana studies was an important step in humanizing black people and restoring the identity and culture they lost through enslavement. Education and economics go hand in hand. Both were used to disfranchise us, and both are equally important.

So many of the people we celebrate were scholars and activists. People like Kwame Ture ( SNCC), Huey Newton, Bobby Seale, MLK, Malcolm X, John Henrik Clarke, and many others had a profound effect on our community. Without these people our movements don't happen and the ideas that came from these movements don't happen either.

And Where do you think your ideas of Black Capitalism come from? They come from scholars and activists like Dubois, Martin R Delaney, Booker T Washington, A Phillip Randolph etc. Let's be real, without Martin Delaney and Booker T Washington, there is no Marcus Garvey. Without Malcolm X and the education he received from NOI, there is no Huey, Bobby Seale and the Black Panthers. Without someone learning and putting that learning into action, none of the things we've done in this country get off the ground.

These people laid the groundwork so we can talk about Black economics from a community perspective. You don't arrive at black economic thought without scholars. They were the ones who put that in the cultural zeitgeist.

^^ there it is. I agree with Lucky to an extent and I'm def on board with the sense of urgency that he has towards us building an economic foundation. However education & economic are not mutually exclusive. The two can coexist however I think we can all agree that at the present moment economics should take priority above all else.

I would counter that by saying education comes first, then economics. We need to learn how to start the businesses, learn how to manage the money, learn how to grown the economic development of the community and sustain it. After we learn a little, we can start growing economically, all while continuing to increase our knowledge.

I graduated from a HBCU with a degree in history and a minor in economics. I try to put my friends on game, but they don't wanna listen. Most would rather flex on social media Everyone is about self nowadays, im sort of cynical though and I do not believe a majority of black people today will become the change that is needed. Sometimes I feel like our only hope is to educate the youth and instill some passion, confidence, and empathy. [emoji]128554[/emoji]

What you guys fail to understand is you are placing history lessons and over all instiallation of values that should be handled by parents in earlier ages on universities.

Black people are going to college to learn their history whole other groups learn their history from their parents and family.

You shouldnt have to take on debt to learn who you are especially in the age of the internet.

And focusing on economics has NOTHING to do with capitalism. Building institutions and infrastructure have NOTHING to do with capitalism it is literally fundamental human needs.

How can you focus on history when you dont have a room to even study in? You guys are focusing on doing everything when there is no house to do it in. Going into debt to do this is just the icing on the cake.

Any black parent can create a curriculum in home for their kids that will teach more than any white university can. It's down right pathetic people are placing these basic fundamentals of teaching their kids to the hands of an education system created by the same system we claim oppresses us.

What steps would you take in the beginning Lucky? I'm not asking in a condescending way either, I'm asking to keep this dialogue going.

Back
Top Bottom