Black Culture Discussion Thread

I said by US standards and by any other quantifiable measure, the indigenous inhabitants of Australia wouldnt and shouldnt be considered black. Seeing as black is defined as anyone from the sub saharan african diaspora (not just anyone with dark skin), people who left Africa while there were still neanderthals in europe shouldnt be called black today. No matter how dark their skin is.

I brought up indians of the Deccan who have very dark skin but their genes more closely resemble those of europeans than black people.

No the US standard isnt a global standard. Im using language as it is defined in the US. Seeing as most of us are from the US.

Kenyans Working For Huawei Kenya Fired, Replaced With Chinese Citizens

https://www.kahawatungu.com/2018/07/25/kenyans-huawei-fired-chinese/

Fully trained, and qualified local engineers and other skilled professionals (accountants, project managers etc) were last year asked to leave Chinese Technological Company, Huawei, in a technical sense, to create space for their Chinese counterparts.

According to a source privy to the deals, all the local Huawei Staff (who had been contracted to Huawei via a management firm called Insight Management Consultants) were moved to another engineering contractor, called Whitespace, as its new employees.

The employees were forced to sign a document, virtually transferring themselves from one employer to another, under false pretense that the terms and conditions will remain the same (which if it is true, then why move them at all).

The employees were given less than a week to sign the document and move to the new company, as its full employees, which is a subcontractor to Huawei.

“A huge number of the local professionals were forced to sign a letter of termination from the management firm they were contracted to (without a month’s prior notice as had been stipulated in the contract letter they had signed upon employment), and then at the same time sign a letter of employment with the new subcontractor, for an initial six-month contract, after which the renewals will be done at the behest of the subcontractor and for which no guarantee whatsoever has been offered,” said our source who sought anonymity.

Investigations done by Kahawa Tungu reveal that the Chinese Company does not hire Kenyan professionals directly, but uses Insight Management Consultants to hire employees for them, who in turn work directly for Huawei, but have their contracts signed through Insight Management.

According to the source who is well conversant with operations at Huawei, the company they were to go to, Whitespace, is known to go for months without paying its staff, at the pretext of waiting for to be paid by their clients first. In essence this means that Huawei is basically firing a huge chunk of its local staff, only that they will do it after six months, and via a different contractor.

Data from the technological giant indicates that a locally trained and fully qualified professional is paid less than Ksh50,000 as a starting salary, while their Chinese counterpart (who comes fresh and inexperienced and the local staff cordially teaches him how the work is done) in the name of a ‘consultant’ that knows nothing earns up to $200 (Ksh20,000) a day.

Worse still, the company is alleged to be sidelining and demoting expectant women, and as soon as they return from their maternity leave, find ways of simply frustrating them and sending them home.

“In fact some of the Chinese bosses have been overheard remarking that, ‘Kenyan women get pregnant all the time, they are always going on maternity leave. This doesn’t happen in China’,” says our source.

The management also forces their employees to install the company’s applications on their personal phones, apps which have been shown to track their movements, access their personal phone logs, photos among many other personal items. Being a technological company that manufactures phones, they can easily empower their staff by issuing them with company phones to do the company’s work, something they avoid.

Huawei also requires its staff to send an official email to ask for approval to travel out of Nairobi during weekends and public holidays, also stating whom they will be travelling with, for what purpose and duration, failure to which they will be “punished” should they dare to travel without receiving approval from 2-3 managers.

The staff who have come in are believed to have come in from other regional offices, and have a duty on their hands to find a job locally or be asked to go back home. In that context, Kenyans working for the technological company might be the sacrificial lambs.

Last edited:
Kenyan Woman Saves 15,000 Young Girls From Female Genital Mutilation
kenya-603x339.jpg

https://www.ebony.com/news-views/kenyan-woman-saves-15000-young-girls-from-female-genital-mutilation

Nice Nailantei Leng’ete was recently named one of Time’s Most Influential People, and for good reason. The 27-year-old Kenyan has made it her life’s work to help young African girls escape “female cutting,” commonly referred to as female genital mutilation (FGM). While discussing her mission with Yahoo Lifestyle, Leng’ete explained the cause is close to her heart because she escaped the archaic practice herself at 8 years old.

“I escaped by running away,” Leng’ete shared, saying she and her sister hid in a tree until the ceremony was over. And she has now helped over 15,000 others avoid FGM as well.

Leng’ete is also working to rid Africa of child marriage and FGM by 2030, introducing alternative rites of passage to her male-dominated Maasai community.

“FGM, for Maasai, is a rite of passage from girlhood to womanhood. Women are not considered women unless they have gone through FGM,” Leng’ete said, explaining the societal role of female circumcisions. “FGM in my community connects to girls ending their education, with child marriage, and with teenage pregnancies. A girl is 10 or 12 years old when she undergoes FGM. Then she’s told she’s a woman, and that means she’s ready for marriage, and that means she has children. They all go together.”

Leng’ete knew she was destined for more while witnessing the ritual as a child.

“I saw pain. I saw death. Since I was 7 years old, I used to attend these ceremonies in my community with girls undergoing FGM. I saw my friends leave school and get married. And I wanted to continue my education.”

That’s just what she did, becoming the first girl in her village to go to high school. Her school uniform inspired other girls in her community, who later sought her help to avoid “the cut.” While she initially hid those seeking help, this made her a wanted woman in the region, leading her to take a different approach.

The young hero, instead, received permission to share information about sexual health and wellness with her village. After four long years of educating her community, the elders were convinced that Maasai would be more prosperous if women were able to stay in school longer, marry later and forego female circumcisions. Elders officially renounced the practice of FGM in 2014.

“I’m driven by passion,” Leng’ete said. “Being able to protect these younger girls from these harmful practices is what I want to do; it’s an important job. When I see the girls in school, that’s my happiness. I’m hoping to reach many more — every girl — if I’m able.”

All women are beautiful
I hate how folks do the black girls are mean
Or too loud or whatever
All women can have those qualities
Love whoever u love
But hate how folks put black women in a box
Mind u 3 outta my 4 kids are full black
1 is half black/Filipino
I want them to love whoever
But will never let them put black dudes
Or females in a boasting they wouldn’t date them cause this that and the third
That’s some sucka ****
Some self hate ****
And some mad cause u can’t get no play type of ****

Last edited:
Woman Dies Days After Giving Birth As Medics Assumed She Can't Afford Ambulance Ride, Mom Claims

YOU MIGHT LIKE
MOTHER ARRESTED AFTER 6-MONTH-OLD BOY KIDNAPPED, BURNED TO DEATH
38f048d622d7a8e3239b68c777a325ef

JASON DUAINE HAHN
July 27, 2018 12:52 AM
A mother of three from Florida died days after experiencing a stroke, and the four paramedics who arrived on scene have now been suspended after an investigation revealed they mishandled the response, PEOPLE confirms.

In the early morning hours of July 4, Nicole Black found her daughter, 30-year-old Crystle Galloway, unresponsive in a bathtub just six days after she had given birth to a son via cesarean. When Galloway regained consciousness a short time later and complained about her head, Black quickly called emergency services and explained that her daughter was breathing but was “drooling from the mouth,” she told the Tampa Bay Times.

But when Hillsborough County Fire Rescue officials arrived, Black claims that instead of providing immediate treatment, they questioned whether the family could afford the ambulance ride to the hospital — an account that the medics dispute.

“My daughter begged for her life,” she said. “The only thing they were worried about was my daughter had a new baby and she couldn’t afford an ambulance.”

After the medics carried Galloway down three flights, Black claims they continued to spend time talking about the cost of the ambulance. Black told ABC Action News that she then decided to transport her daughter herself.

Nicole Black and her grandchildren
GoFundMe
“The whole conversation as the EMS drivers put my child in my car was that [it] was best for us because we couldn’t afford an ambulance,” she told the news station. “My daughter begged for her life, she begged!”

Once at Brandon Regional Hospital, scans revealed Galloway’s brain was bleeding, and she was then airlifted to Tampa General Hospital. She fell into a coma and passed away on July 9, just days before her 31st birthday.

But statements from the paramedics contradict Black’s account, according to the Times, and they say she voluntarily offered to take her daughter to the hospital and only requested their help to move her downstairs after she spoke with two sheriff’s deputies who first arrived on the scene.

In a statement sent to PEOPLE by the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, Lt. John “Mike” Morris said the medics would have transported Galloway had her condition seemed “critical” when they arrived.

“If the daughter presented that she was critical,” Lt. Morris explained, “I’m certain our crew would have highly advised that the daughter be transported by EMS.”

Crystle Galloway/Facebook
An investigation into the conduct of the medics was launched days after the incident, and Hillsborough County Administrator Mike Merrill told reporters during a press conference on Monday that while the medics “did a lot of things wrong,” they found no evidence that the medics engaged in any conversation about ambulance cost with Black.

“There were discussions between the mother and the deputies concerning cost, primarily driven by questions from the mother, which may have led to her conclusion or statements that she wanted to transport her daughter,” Merrill said. “My guys did a lot of things wrong here, and we take responsibility. From the record I have, that’s not one of the things they did wrong.”

But the county’s investigation into the matter found that Morris and three other medics were in “gross neglect of duty” after they failed to properly check Galloway’s vital signs, they said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

RELATED VIDEO: California Parents Heartbroken After Daughter Dies Following a Routine Dental Procedure

YOU MIGHT LIKE

PARENTS COMFORT DAUGHTER, 5, DYING FROM BRAIN TUMOR IN EMOTIONAL PHOTO TAKEN HOURS BEFORE HER DEATH
WOMAN DIES AFTER CHILDBIRTH AS MEDICS ASSUMED SHE COULDN’T AFFORD AMBULANCE
The inquiry also found the medics failed to have either of the women sign an informed consent document that showed they declined transportation. Not only that, they submitted paperwork claiming they could not find Galloway when responding to the call.

In a statement to PEOPLE, the department confirmed that the responding medics — Lt. Morris, 36; Fire Medic Justin Sweeney, 36; Fire Medic Andrew J. Martin, 28; and Acting Lt. Cortney Barton, 38 — have all been suspended with pay.

“Based on the facts and statements obtained during the review of this incident by Human Resources, the information indicates that the four Fire Rescue personnel did not perform their duties,” the statement reads. “The review indicates several Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Standard Operating Procedures were violated during this incident.”

The employment status of the medics will be determined in a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday, July 31, Merrill adds.

According to the Times, the Hillsborough Sheriff’s Office cleared the two sheriff’s who initially arrived on the scene of any violation of policy.

RELATED: Paramedics Allegedly Took Selfies With Unconscious Patients as Part of ‘Selfie War’ Contest

Black recently set up a GoFundMe page to raise funds to help her provide for her two granddaughters, ages 13 and 7, and her newborn grandson.

“You know that this is a nightmare for me,” she wrote on the page. “I buried my daughter.”

Strokes following a pregnancy are not entirely uncommon, as a 2008 study found that pregnant women who have a cesarean section may be more likely to experience a stroke in the year following their delivery than women who give birth vaginally, Reuters reports.

While the accounts of that July 4 morning may differ, Black’s pain remains irrefutable.

“She’s 30 years old and just graduated from college, she had her whole life ahead of her,” Black told ABC Actions News of her daughter. “You can tell me you’re sorry, you can give me your condolences but you still have to work this out with God.”

^she kept that from you your entire life b?

I woulda been tight. Thats dope tho.

^she kept that from you your entire life b?

I woulda been tight. Thats dope tho.

She was telling me about how when I was young they used to take us down to south carolina and we'd be down there eating ox tail and all kinds of other stuff. As a kid I never noticed, or asked questions. I just ate and played.

It makes sense tho because my dad is from North Carolina but my grandmother (his mother) is from south Carolina, which is where the gullah islands are

My mom is from Gerogia but I know she has some family that is from savanah and from south carolina, florida as well.

I am kinda tight about it, I'm not going to lie. But I gotta make the connection now, I'm trying to learn so I can pass that along to my son as well.

She was telling me about how when I was young they used to take us down to south carolina and we'd be down there eating ox tail and all kinds of other stuff. As a kid I never noticed, or asked questions. I just ate and played.

It makes sense tho because my dad is from North Carolina but my grandmother (his mother) is from south Carolina, which is where the gullah islands are

My mom is from Gerogia but I know she has some family that is from savanah and from south carolina, florida as well.

I am kinda tight about it, I'm not going to lie. But I gotta make the connection now, I'm trying to learn so I can pass that along to my son as well.

Yup, now that you know, try to learn as much as you can.

I have a short documentary on the gullah people on my laptop and they have to be amongst some of the most resilient people Ive ever read about in the world.

Plus I watched gullah gullah island as a kid, but being african, I couldnt see the similarities at the time.

Own that knowledge b. It is yours. Dont let it be forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom