Black Culture Discussion Thread

There’s a new Black-owned movie theater right outside of Baltimore, Maryland! NextAct Cinema officially opened for business on March 7th of this year. According to the website:

“NextAct Cinemas, is an independent boutique theater that offers a unique, personalized movie going experience for our customers. You will have the option of eating and drinking while relaxing in a comfortable leather chair or come socialize and join us for beer and wine at the bar. Seating is reserved so get your tickets early and join us at least 30 minutes prior to your movie showing to enjoy a meal. Concession items can still be order throughout the movie from your seats.”

What they don’t mention, is that the cinema is the only Black-owned movie theater in the Baltimore area. Being able to see a diverse film in an establishment owned by a Black family has taken the statement “representation matters” to another level.

https://www.becauseofthemwecan.com/...e-only-black-owned-movie-theater-in-baltimore

"As with any organization, there were officers in the department that did not like my style of leadership and did not want me to hold them accountable for their actions," Tonya Chapman wrote in a four-page statement. "Some quite frankly did not like taking direction from an African-American female."

"Having been a member of two other law enforcement agencies, I have never witnessed the degree of bias and acts of systemic racism, discriminatory practices and abuse of authority in all of my almost 30-year career in law enforcement and public safety," she wrote."

Just a few rotten apples they say....

So this young activist sistah went missing after a argument with her boyfriend and was just found dead and nobody wants to question the boyfriend (he white of course).

Reminds of the sistah that was at the sleepover with a bunch of white people and she just popped up dead and nobody know nothing.

The US Is Failing Black Women With HIV

The US Is Failing Black Women With HIV

https://www.blackagendareport.com/us-failing-black-women-hiv

Many believe the HIV epidemic in the US is nearing an end, but Blacks represent 43 percent of all persons with newly diagnosed HIV.

“Sixty percent of newly diagnosed cases of HIV in women in 2017 were Black.”

The face of HIV in the United States has long been white gay men, even though the epidemic has had a devastating and disproportionate impact on Black communities.

This is especially true among women; 60 percent of newly diagnosed cases of HIV in women in 2017 were Black. Yet, Black women’s voices are notoriously absent from the national discourse on HIV.

Largely invisible to a fractured health care system, these women are often breadwinners and matriarchs whose families count on them for support and care.

Treatments to help people who are HIV-positive manage their illness and survive into older age have improved greatly, yet the unique health needs of Black women living and aging with HIV – estimated at about 140,000 – are often ignored.

While many are actively taking medication and receiving care, some do not know their HIV status. After diagnosis, many have difficulties managing their HIV, which can contribute to their other health challenges.

I have been working on collecting oral histories from many older HIV-positive women in the Washington D.C. area, where I live and research. It is my hope that by focusing on the voices of Black women themselves, we as a country are able to better understand the profound impact that HIV has had on Black life.

HIV and Black Americans

Many believe the HIV epidemic in the United States is nearing an end, in part because increased funding, targeted prevention efforts, and better treatment have resulted in drastic reductions in new HIV-positive cases. Even President Trump, in his recent State of the Union address, discussed his goal of ending HIV by 2030. I am an HIV researcher, and I can say this is totally unrealistic, especially for Black Americans.

Despite comprising only 12 percent of the overall U.S. population, Black Americans represent 43 percent of all persons with newly diagnosed HIV and 42 percent of all people living with HIV. Black Americans living with HIV are nearly 10 times more likely to be diagnosed with AIDS and over six times more likely to die of complications of AIDS than their white counterparts.

Black Americans are also at a higher risk for other health conditions, which can make managing HIV infection more difficult. For instance, Black Americans are twice as likely to die from heart disease and 50 percent more likely to have high blood pressure than whites.

In Washington D.C., a place filled with public health experts and policymakers, the HIV prevalence rate is the highest in the nation, exceeding the World Health Organization definition of a generalized epidemic. Black Americans represent a staggering 75 percent of all HIV cases in D.C.

HIV in Washington, D.C., is a regional epidemic, and crosses the jurisdictional border into Prince George’s County, Maryland. The sprawling suburbs of Prince George’s County are well known for their ranking as one of the wealthiest Black-majority counties in the nation, but with HIV rates that are four to 10 times higher than those of white adults.

“Black Americans living with HIV are nearly 10 times more likely to be diagnosed with AIDS.”

The high rates of HIV in Washington, D.C., and Prince George’s County reflect a growing public health crisis in the United States, where the disproportionate burden of HIV is increasingly concentrated in the U.S. South. Southern states, where 55 percent of Black Americans live, have the highest rates of new HIV-positive diagnoses, the highest percentage of people living with HIV, and the lowest rates of survival for those who are HIV-positive.

Government investment in the domestic response to HIV tops more than US$26 billion per year, yet these health inequities in HIV for Black Americans continue to persist. These inequities are due in part to abstinence-only funding to schools with large minority populations and HIV-specific criminal laws, which undermine the health and well-being of Black Americans and perpetuate systems of inequity. Systemic racism in resource distribution, such as concentrated poverty and health care and funding disparities is also a significant driver of the epidemic within Black communities.

Since the beginning of the epidemic in the 1980s, Black women have carried a large burden of HIV, and more than 60,000 lost their lives. But not everyone died. My project of personal narratives of these women suggest that they live with multiple uncertainties brought on by HIV. Many worry about how their health, disability, and eventual death will impact their roles as mothers, grandmothers, daughters, sisters and wives.

Lives of Suffering, Strength and Survival

Shawnte’ Spriggs’ story is typical of many Black women living with HIV whom I spoke to. Many suffered trauma and abuse as children. Like everyone, however, she has her own unique story.

“My family stories are not pretty,” said Spriggs, 45, who grew up in northeast Washington D.C., in a neighborhood with open-air drug markets, crime and gang violence. “My mother had a very bad temper. If she had a bad day, or someone teed her off, or one of her boyfriends did something to her, I was abused pretty bad.”

Her father was around only intermittently. She later learned the reason for his disappearances: He was often in prison.

Looking for love and craving protection from her mother, she turned to her godbrother, a caring guardian whom she later married.

Three months into their marriage, beatings began. The first was in the middle of the night. She woke suddenly. Her ex-husband was still asleep but sat up as if he were awake and punched her in the face. They both laughed about it in the morning, as if it had been an accident.

The abuse continued.

Eventually Spriggs escaped the marriage. She moved to another state and created a rewarding life. She even found love again, and remarried. She changed careers. She also became an evangelist, traveling for religious conferences frequently.

“She began to realize that many people in her life probably died of AIDS even though it was being labeled as something else in the community.”

In 2010, Spriggs accepted an invitation to speak at a women’s conference in Lynchburg, Virginia. The conference offered health screenings. Some of the women invited her to take an HIV test with them. “Sure, why not?” she thought, wanting to set an example for the young women attending.

The last thing she expected was to test positive.

Her initial reaction was that she was going to die. She researched to learn more about HIV and began to realize that many people in her life probably died of it even though it was being labeled as something else in the community. She was terrified, especially because she feared returning to the pain and trauma from her past.

“I was so afraid of going to a dark place, from my childhood. I know my triggers,” Spriggs said.

She took action, signing herself up for both inpatient and outpatient mental health care, which helped her with her healing process. She attended HIV support groups, where she was the only woman among gay men.

Spriggs counts herself fortunate. She knows that many others have fewer resources, more responsibilities, and a lack of accessible and culturally appropriate care.

So this young activist sistah went missing after a argument with her boyfriend and was just found dead and nobody wants to question the boyfriend (he white of course).

Reminds of the sistah that was at the sleepover with a bunch of white people and she just popped up dead and nobody know nothing.

Eh it’s sad but honestly I don’t care. I’m suppose to be extra upset because she black? Reading her story, she embraced European culture. Nah that what happens when black people hang around white people. You aren’t even seen as equal in their eyes or you aren’t “ a regular black person” as some like to put it.

Eh it’s sad but honestly I don’t care. I’m suppose to be extra upset because she black? Reading her story, she embraced European culture. Nah that what happens when black people hang around white people. You aren’t even seen as equal in their eyes or you aren’t “ a regular black person” as some like to put it.

Thats a little harsh, but she is still a black woman, faults and all. She deserves justice.

Reminds me of the one black woman who was at a sleepover with 7 other white women and she was found dead outside and none of the white women knew what happened to her.

BLACK PEOPLE STAY IN YOUR LANE, stop trying to always snuggle up with the oppressors

Aye if you don't care that's your choice. There's been a good amount black activist or black people in some position of power that went missing then turned up dead, that is the main problem.

T.I. Calls Out Dallas Rappers For Not Supporting Black Woman Attacked By White Supremacist

(Photo by AP)

https://blackamericaweb.com/2019/03...DOaWGyzfGwKw9UNGu2IKE6QS8MG5BdZ8TON-QLsq5GVIo

T.I. has called out Dallas rappers for not rallying together and supporting the Black woman who was brutally beaten by a white supremacist in a viral video that led to the man’s arrest.

As we previously reported, the March 21 assault occurred after Austin Shuffield and L’daijohnique Lee got into a dispute in a parking lot in Deep Ellum, Texas. The argument turned physical when Shuffield slapped the cell phone out of her hand as she tried to call 911. He also hurled racial slurs at her before repeatedly punching her in the face while holding a pistol.

Once T.I. saw video of the attack, he took to Instagram Live to ask why there weren’t more Dallas rappers stepping up to speak out.

“If you in Dallas, if you is in Dallas…Yella Beezy…Trapboy Freddy…all you cats out there who holdin’ down the turf,” Tip said (via HotNewHipHop). “Whether you’re Dallas, Fort Worth, wherever you at. It’s on your watch! This s**t on your watch. I don’t wanna hear none of that tough s**t man from none of y’all. It’s time n***a.”

The “Whatever You Like” rapper added, “We’ve been training and practicing all this gangsta sh**t for all these years…get your *** in the game mothaf**ka! What the f**k is you doin’?”

In a recent interview with Ashlee on the Radio for Houston’s 93.7 The Beat radio station, Yella Beezy responded to T.I. calling him out, using the excuse that he wasn’t even in town when the incident made national headlines.

“I wasn’t even in America,” Beezy said. “I was in Cabo, so I’m not even knowing what’s going on…I don’t want to say the wrong thing….he could have called me,” Beezy said. “I get where he was coming from, it’s just his delivery was wrong. But I’m gonna call him.”

Meanwhile, the victim says she’s been so fearful since the attack that she has had to sleep in hotels.

“I’m scared. I don’t know who is following me, who is behind me, who is watching me,” Lee said during a press conference on Monday. “My body still hurts. Everything still hurts.”

Shuffield was released after posting a $2,000 bond on Friday.

Protesters at Dallas City Hall on Monday expressed outrage over Shuffield being hit with only two Class A misdemeanors for assault and a Class C misdemeanor citation for public intoxication.

Lee’s supporters believe his race is why charges have not be upgraded to include a hate crime and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, both felonies.

While I get the opportunity to activate younger hood artists to stand up for things they should be doing, I think TI should have made that statement more privately or presented it less as they should do something because they consider themselves gangsta but instead as a call to speak out and up for the young woman. The way Tip's statement reads is that he's asking why those guys haven't tried to get hands put on dudes and that can be incriminating

damn yall
why y'all gotta post so much **** about black folks being found dead
can we keep this thread positive
post our accomplishments
post things u think we didnt know
so we can learn
and pass down to our kids
knowledge is our greatest weapon

CDC Whistleblower: ‘MMR Vaccine Causes Autism in Black Males’
5bfebbe53b8e8.image.jpg

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/study-focus-autism-foundation-finds-133000584.html

A top research scientist working for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) played a key role in helping Dr. Brian Hooker of the Focus Autism Foundation uncover data manipulation by the CDC that obscured a higher incidence of autism in African-American boys. A top research scientist working for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) played a key role in helping Dr. Brian Hookerof the Focus Autism Foundation uncover data manipulation by the CDC that obscured a higher incidence of autism in African-American boys.

The whistleblower came to the attention of Hooker, a PhD in biochemical engineering, after he had made a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for original data on the DeStefano et al MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) and autism study.

Dr. Hooker’s study, published August 8 in the peer-reviewed scientific journalTranslational Neurodegeneration, shows that African-American boys receiving their first MMR vaccine before 36 months of age are 3.4 times more likely to develop autism vs. after 36 months.

According to Dr. Hooker, the CDC whistleblower informant — who wishes to remain anonymous — guided him to evidence that a statistically significant relationship between the age the MMR vaccine was first given and autism incidence in African-American boys was hidden by CDC researchers.

After data were gathered on 2,583 children living in Atlanta, Georgia who were born between 1986 and 1993, CDC researchers excluded children that did not have a valid State of Georgia birth certificate — reducing the sample size being studied by 41%. Hooker explains that by introducing this arbitrary criteria into the analysis, the cohort size was sharply reduced, eliminating the statistical power of the findings and negating the strong MMR-autism link in African American boys.

Dr. Hooker has worked closely with the CDC whistleblower, and he viewed highly sensitive documents related to the study via Congressional request from U.S. Representative Darrell Issa, Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The CDC documents from Congress and discussions that Hooker had with the whistleblower reveal widespread manipulation of scientific data and top-down pressure on CDC scientists to support fraudulent application of government policies on vaccine safety.

Based on raw data used in the 2004 DeStefano et al study obtained under FOIA, Dr. Hooker found that the link between MMR vaccination and autism in African-American boys was obscured by the introduction of irrelevant and unnecessary birth certificate criteria — ostensibly to reduce the size of the study.

The results of the original study first appeared in the journal Pediatrics which receives financial support from vaccine makers via advertising and direct donations, according to a CBS News report. The DeStefano et al study is widely used by the CDC and other public health organizations to dismiss any link between vaccines and autism — a neurological disorder on the rise.

Dr. Hooker stated “The CDC knew about the relationship between the age of first MMR vaccine and autism incidence in African-American boys as early as 2003, but chose to cover it up.” The whistleblower confirmed this.

When asked if there could be any scientific basis for excluding children born outside of Georgia, Hooker responded, “I know of none, and none has been provided by the authors of the DeStefano study.” He added, “The exclusion is reminiscent of tactics historically used to deprive African-Americans of the vote by requiring valid birth certificates.”

Dr. Hooker concluded further study is needed to determine why this specific effect (3.4-fold increase when MMR is administered prior to 36 months) is seen exclusively in African-American males, and determine whether delaying the first MMR vaccination should be advised for this population. A link between the MMR vaccine and autism has been conceded in cases compensated by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.

The CDC whistleblower informant, who has worked for the government agency for over a decade, remarked to Dr. Hooker in phone calls: “We’ve missed ten years of research because the CDC is so paralyzed right now by anything related to autism. They’re not doing what they should be doing because they’re afraid to look for things that might be associated.” The whistleblower alleges criminal wrongdoing of his supervisors, and he expressed deep regret about his role in helping the CDC hide data.

According to David Lewis, PhD, former senior-level microbiologist with the U.S. EPA’s Office of Research & Development, skewing scientific data to support government policies is a major problem at federal agencies, including EPA, CDC, and USDA. Lewis, who was terminated by EPA for publishing papers in Nature that questioned the science the agency uses to support certain regulations, believes top-down pressure on federal scientists and researchers working on government-funded projects in academia is jeopardizing public health.

“Working for the government is no different than working for corporations. You either toe the line or find yourself looking for another way to make a living,” Lewis says. “No one would be surprised if Merck published unreliable data supporting the safety of its products. Why would anyone be surprised that the CDC is publishing skewed data to conclude that the vaccines it recommends are safe? We need a better system, where scientists are free to be honest.”

The Focus Autism Foundation is dedicated to providing information to the public that exposes the cause or causes of the autism epidemic and the rise of chronic illness — focusing on the role of vaccinations. Learn more at www.Focusautism.org

RustyShackleford RustyShackleford @blastercombo
so what was yall saying about folks who dont get vaccines
i remember yall talking down on folks
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bad-medicine/

Before you mention me in your schtick next time please take the extra five minutes and check Google.

Children are dying everyday from preventable diseases and you outchea acting like a reactionary old person getting their news from Facebook.

So do me a favor; the next time you feel get article article confusing correlation does equal causation, has concerns of p-hacking, ignores exogenous factors, peddles soft race science, ignores a large body of work in the scientific field, and ignores all common sense, please don't even consider mentioning me.

Vaccinate your kids, and miss me with this.

Back
Top Bottom