Black Culture Discussion Thread

Religion is what you make of it. Christianity has been used as tool for oppression for some and has been used as means of liberation for others. In my eyes the issue with religion has always been about how people choose to organize and operate. Believing in the same religion doesn’t mean you have to buy into how they operate, especially if you’re someone who draws their own conclusions from the text rather than being told what to think by a pastor

Agreed. Religion just like any belief system can be misrepresented and used to prey on those who are vulnerable. The same way we don't want people to lump all black people together when something negative happens, the same way we don't want to have all Muslim people lumped in together, should be the same way we avoid lumping together money hungry preachers with those who are on the up and up.

In anything we should be skeptical and not follow anything that doesn't make sense to you, but I don't think we should ever find ourselves succumbing to bashing somebody for believing in the unexplainable differently than we do.

I don't have a single problem if somebody doesn't believe in what I believe. I understand what I believe at times doesn't make sense and is either extremely difficult or impossible to explain. But just like in our regular lives faith comes into play and I have made peace with the fact that what I can't understand or can't explain is outside my reach.

I’ll also add that I’m Haitian, grew up in a house hold where my mom is Catholic and My dad is Protestant. Although both were different sects of Christianity they both bought into this thing where they pushed conservative Caribbean values as if it’s all one in the same with Christianity. And I still get into to arguments with my parents today and challenge them to think about the difference between what Haitian culture pushes and what Christianity is about. Even with all of that still grew up be a christian, a Baptist at that which is different from both my parents. All that to say, Christianity is what you make it.

I have never seen or read of Christianity liberating anyone anywhere, especially women.

This is the reason there is alot of anger towards the Bible and christianity in segments of the black community. The notion that the Bible was the reason for slavery and that it creates a docile and subservient people has always been a false narrative. Early white settlers wanted slaves regardless and they were going to do anything to fulfill and sustain that. They essentially created their own Bible to enact this. But alot of people don't know this and have not been able to reconcile that fact.

This is the reason there is alot of anger towards the Bible and christianity in segments of the black community. The notion that the Bible was the reason for slavery and that it creates a docile and subservient people has always been a false narrative. Early white settlers wanted slaves regardless and they were going to do anything to fulfill and sustain that. They essentially created their own Bible to enact this. But alot of people don't know this and have not been able to reconcile that fact.

It’s definitely got a lot to do with that, but I also think it has to do with how religion institutionalizes it’s self as well. Up until recently with millennials and a lot of genxers I think a lot of practices and behaviors that in my opinion put priority of preserving the religious intstitutions over the betterment of its members and that would go in questioned. And how tradition and culture gets baptized and given spiritual significance when no where in the Bible does it call for those things. I saw it all the time growing up in Haitian church. I hated dressing up every Sunday and I always asked my mom why can’t I wear jeans and I get this long pseudoreliguous response, but when I was old enough and brave enough to challenge her on that I asked her if looking out best is required then why was our church filled with a bunch of over weight people? :lol:

At the end of the day I think the teachings of the Bible and the religious “culture” of time
Or place are always in sync with eachother.

That's one of the biggest faults with Christianity, the lack of desire to change tradition based on logic. I've always heard "come as you are" in church but you never came not dressed up.

Another is the desire to treat preachers as kings, and preachers behaving like kings instead of understanding that they are no better or worse than the people they are preaching to.

Im 81% African and a majority of it is from Cameroon/Congo. The rest if 19% European mainly Irish. My boy ordered 2 kits and gave me one and they analyzed my saliva and got my results. I didnt give them a name so they couldnt trace it to me. Simple

How accurate are those tests?

Wouldn’t it just be better to find your family tree and trace it? On my father side we were able to trace back 4 generations and 3 generations on my mother side.

That's one of the biggest faults with Christianity, the lack of desire to change tradition based on logic. I've always heard "come as you are" in church but you never came not dressed up.

Another is the desire to treat preachers as kings, and preachers behaving like kings instead of understanding that they are no better or worse than the people they are preaching to.

Pretty much. Don’t get me wrong, I think fellowship is important. But once you’re old enough to think for yourself and interpret the Bible, the only thing other people can do is help provide clarity. Other than that you’re doing yourself a disservice if everything you “believe” has been spoon fed to you.

How accurate are those tests?

Wouldn’t it just be better to find your family tree and trace it? On my father side we were able to trace back 4 generations and 3 generations on my mother side.

its $70 and they give your results for in 2 weeks.

Of course its nice to TRY anf find out things from your family yourself, but people LOVE to lie. Science dont

"Oh, my grandfather is from Cuba, and my grand aunt is Cherokee Indian, and my Fathers father is from China"

Then when they get the results it say "You 90% African"

I love seeing peoples reaction when they get crushed lololol

Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are all Abrahamic religions that didn't start in Africa (only Ethiopia has some claims to it) therefore it shouldn't be a pillar of black culture or black life. Simple.

I view religion as more of a personal impetus. Black People can be motivated by their religious beliefs and not have religion be their identity if that makes sense. Not all Christianity manifests itself the way the black church does and not all Islam manifests itself the way the Nation of Islam does. I’m sure we don’t agree on this but I believe that you can be a Christian and be for black people with out falling into the black church stereotype.

Considering you can't prove any religion, everything is based on faith. And once you find a belief system that fits your experiences and explains the inexplicable in a way that you and your research can agree with, that's your spot.

I just want people to be open minded and accepting enough to understand that each belief system is equal because they are all based on faith

its $70 and they give your results for in 2 weeks.

Of course its nice to TRY anf find out things from your family yourself, but people LOVE to lie. Science dont

"Oh, my grandfather is from Cuba, and my grand aunt is Cherokee Indian, and my Fathers father is from China"

Then when they get the results it say "You 90% African"

I love seeing peoples reaction when they get crushed lololol
:lol:

That’s why you have to have documentation to support it. Birth certificate, bill of sale, things that are public record also.

I read an article about those kits not being accurate and the companies just making up data. I don’t know if this is true..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl.../archive/2018/04/14/amp/at-home-dna-test.aspx

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/40-percent-home-dna-test-results-could-be-wrong-868448?amp=1

40% is huge..

1883562A-3D97-441C-BAE2-8AD0881D5A00.jpeg

I hear, understand, and agree with everything you 100%. My issue is none of what you stated (which is what most people take issue with), is inherent to actual Christianity. Its bad church systems, con men who claim they are preachers, and people who don't understand or desire to develop a true relationship with their Creator. Matthew 7:15-20. Most peoples interactions with forms of Christianity are only in name alone, which creates a distaste for the actual belief system. But they are not true representations of humble imperfect people understanding the standard set by Messiah and seeking true transformation. Most encounter a person pursuing their own desires and throwing Gods name around every once in a while, attending a service, and giving God props for any success obtained from their own vain pursuits. This is the unfortunate imagery of Christianity in our society. A far cry from what a christian truly is supposed to be.

:lol:

That’s why you have to have documentation to support it. Birth certificate, bill of sale, things that are public record also.

I read an article about those kits not being accurate and the companies just making up data. I don’t know if this is true..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl.../archive/2018/04/14/amp/at-home-dna-test.aspx

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/40-percent-home-dna-test-results-could-be-wrong-868448?amp=1

40% is huge..
Fun fact, lie detector tests are only about 35% accurate

But who would you recommend for DNA results then?

Back
Top Bottom